Date of Birth: Apr 19, 2005 (17)
Nationality: England

Other Nationalities: Ghana

Squad Number: #73
Height: 175cm
Position: Midfield - Central Midfield
Foot: Right

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't embarrass himself at all. Maybe played a bit conservatively, but you get that given his youth and the knockout nature of the game. Really pleased to see him get a chance. If you are good enough, you are old enough. Looked more comfortable on the ball than some senior midfielders.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looked like a 17 year old making his first start for the club.

Hard to really make any sweeping judgements/assumptions from that - but hopefully this is the start of a great career for the lad.

footballbite

I really like the player, I've seen some excellent performances from him at youth level and he's clearly and understandably very highly rated - but the issue I've noticed with him recently, both in youth team games but also today, is with his general play off the ball. He doesn't always seem completely switched on, or prepared to receive the ball, and he's often a bit too passive in either looking for the ball, tracking runners, or winning the ball back.

When he does get on the ball though he oozes class.

I'm not sure this has always been such a problem with him, or for whatever reason he's not been as alert or energetic this season? But it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately. Hopefully it's just a phase and he finds a bit more determination and focus from somewhere because he's very talented and has the ability to make it at Utd.

Reactions: Dargonk

Alemar

It was a VDB-type performance from him today. But it’s of course hard to play with McFred, and he was probably trying to avoid mistakes. Understandable given he is 17

ATXRedDevil

I really like the player, I've seen some excellent performances from him at youth level and he's clearly and understandably very highly rated - but the issue I've noticed with him recently, both in youth team games but also today, is with his general play off the ball. He doesn't always seem completely switched on, or prepared to receive the ball, and he's often a bit too passive in either looking for the ball, tracking runners, or winning the ball back.

I'm not sure this has always been such a problem with him, or for whatever reason he's not been as alert or energetic this season? But it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately. Hopefully it's just a phase and he finds a bit more determination and focus from somewhere because he's very talented and has the ability to make it at Utd.
Appreciate the insight as I don’t watch his youth games. The good thing about the deficiencies you raise is that these things can be coached and learned (as opposed to innate technical skill or speed, for example) and ETH should be perfect to do that

Red00012

It was a VDB-type performance from him today. But it’s of course hard to play with McFred, and he was probably trying to avoid mistakes. Understandable given he is 17
Please don’t compare him with VDB. The kid is 17

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
thought he was really impressive considering the stakes and the pressure of making your debut at a time like that.

Didn’t look out of place at all IMO. If anything he was growing into the game more and more. I’m sure he will be getting plenty more cameos in the future.

ETH wouldn’t play a 17 year old in that situation if he didn’t see big things for him.

MrBest

I thought he looked shy, never really seen him play so was looking forward to him getting on the ball more but then he was subbed. Well done for making his debut at 17, born in 2005, that's just mad. The DVB comparisons are just unintelligent.

Abraxas

I was just interested to see him in the lineup. The manager must think something of him because there are enough options not to go for a 17 year old just to fill a shirt. It was a quiet showing but a proud moment for a young player and hopefully it'll give him some real confidence to go and shine at youth level.

Milo2035

I missed Pogba. It's like seeing a new girl that looks just like your ex

In Rainbows

I mean, he also played further forward than his usual midfield appearances where he earned his talented reputation. I mean, when he was super young he was an attacking midfield talent, but I feel like he's stood out from even that by playing a bit deeper.

Last edited:

wangyu

If Ten Hag starts him then it means he is talented as hell

InfiniteBoredom

The fact that EtH quickly shipped out Garner who had a great Championship loan that ended in promotion, while handing out a cup KO start for Mainoo, speaks volumes about the latter’s potential in his eyes.

Here’s hoping the kid relishes the challenge.

Malone_Post

Didn’t realise he was only 17. That’s a huge vote of confidence from ETH starting him already. Showed in flashes that he’s definitely got the ability. Looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Telsim

Not exactly the debut one hopes for. He was obviously out of his depth but has potential. Some good vision and creativity, just couldn’t get involved. Curious to see where he will be in 3 years.

NoPace

I think Ten Hag is going to overhaul how we teach midfielders in the academy. He has to be watching McTominay win headers, run fast and strike the ball cleanly while doing everything else poorly and bemoaning how little he's developed tactically over 20 years.

So, Mainoo might be a tad behind in these areas.

He looked like he has a lot of time on the ball, the most important thing for a footballer, and physically for a 17 year old he already looks ready. Got lost in the possession play a lot, though he did so in attacking areas which at least occupies a defender rather than deeper. Struggled to get on the ball. But you can see there's a serious prospect there. Some of the same strengths as a player like Bissouma, where he's really good 1 on 1 with his strength and ball control.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I mean, he also played further forward than his usual midfield appearances where he earned his talented reputation. I mean, when he was super young he was an attacking midfield talent, but I feel like he's stood out from even that by playing a bit deeper.
Did take me aback seeing him that far forward, but I assume ten Hag wanted to spare him too much defensive responsibility against a very physical and aggressive side.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not a good debut. The game seemed to pass him by. Didn’t help playing out of position, obviously. I can’t remember a single moment where he did anything you would want/expect from a player in that position. Great for him to get an hour of first team football though. Although I wonder what Iqbal made of being passed over like that? He’s looked a lot more ready for first team football during his cameos so far.

WirralRed

Wow some of the comments in here he’s 17 making his debut in a disjointed altered cup squad! He looks really talented!

Sylar

Would have liked to have seen a spell where he was deeper to get on the ball more.
Great for him to debut in a quarter final at home.

Litch

17 years old…..what a vote of confidence from the manager.

Flanders Devil

Anyone expecting much more needs their expectations managed. This is a 17 yo kid on debut. He performed exactly as expected and if anything can only improve from here.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Ten Hag is going to overhaul how we teach midfielders in the academy. He has to be watching McTominay win headers, run fast and strike the ball cleanly while doing everything else poorly and bemoaning how little he's developed tactically over 20 years.

So, Mainoo might be a tad behind in these areas.

He looked like he has a lot of time on the ball, the most important thing for a footballer, and physically for a 17 year old he already looks ready. Got lost in the possession play a lot, though he did so in attacking areas which at least occupies a defender rather than deeper. Struggled to get on the ball. But you can see there's a serious prospect there. Some of the same strengths as a player like Bissouma, where he's really good 1 on 1 with his strength and ball control.
When he gets more games under his belt and then the game slows down for him then you will see the skillsets he was displayed at the academy -- and why he was being fast tracked.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Onwards and upwards. He’s a baller. If he keeps his feet on the ground he’ll be a PL player. It’s obvious the club rate him very highly bringing him into the fold already and he played ahead of his age group coming up through the youth setup. I doubt we will see much more of him this season but a really decent game to be trusted to start in. Hopefully ETH hands on approach with the u23s will yield a few more starts for the youth as the season goes on. Lovely to see Pellistri come on and produce also! Happy days. It’s great to see real competition for places start to emerge again .

phelans shorts

Is being compared to Utd version of VDB ever a good thing?
Well it’s certainly not a death knell at 17. It’s understandable to be a deer in headlights at that age in your first game at Old Trafford.

When you’re a mid 20’s international in the first team here for 3 years it’s obviously a very different and more worrying indicator.

Hughes35

Didn't set the world alight but did the basics well and certainly did himself no harm.

Well done to the lad. To start for Utd at 17 is a great achievement. I've not made any opinions on the player as yet but look forward to seeing him develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.