Kobbie Mainoo | 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Intriguing player and ETH seems to find minutes for him, probably for a logical reason.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Calmest player on the pitch when he came on. Positioning was spot on, kept it so simple. Really mature showing imo.

Trequarista10

Are people complaining about his showing tonight?? Thought he looked great, proper presence for a 17 year old, cool, calm, collected, never lost possession. Not sure what people were hoping for?
Don't let it bother you. Some people just phrase things poorly, and the few who genuinely have no perspective aren't worth listening to.

Mr PG

Eric would never play him if he had any major flaws in his game. He makes sure you earn game-time.

CM

I think he did well when he came on. We'd already gone pretty gung ho because of how comfortable we were in the game and being a man up but Mainoo seemed fairly composed when the game was becoming a bit erratic. It would be interesting to see how he does when he has a few more experienced heads around him.

Remember the geese

Neither do I, I think he's best staying and learning off Casemiro and Eriksen. I also think he'll be with the first team a lot more next season and will take McTominay squad spot when hes sold.
Can see that happening. McTominay and eventually Fred departing should free up a couple of squad roles for the likes of Mainoo, Mejbri and perhaps one or two others to fight for.

The Irish Connection

I've commented before on here - including the first page on this thread - that in general this season, including in youth games, he's been "too passive" in his play and "it just seems like someone needs to put a rocket up him at times lately".

I didn't think this was the case with him when I saw him play last season, but it's definitely looked a problem in this one. I'm not sure why there's been this shift.

He's still very young, but at times it seems like he just can't be bothered to do things - whether it be track back or play a quick forward pass when someone's calling for the ball. There's a real contrast with someone like Garnacho who seems desperate to get involved and make things happen all the time.

It's a bit disappointing because his technique is excellent and as I said on the first page at least on ability I think he's got enough to make it at Utd. He really needs to up his energy, intensity, focus and desire going forwards.

I've seem comparisons of him with a young Pogba, and I hope he doesn't follow in Pogba's footsteps in becoming a player who likes to destroy attacks and put his own team under pressure by too often being casual and pointlessly dwelling on the ball.
Sorry he’s nothing like Pogba

Trex

Could be ahead of at least one of the chuckle brothers before the season end. It would reduce our cm need to just one addition (hopefully)

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Could be ahead of at least one of the chuckle brothers before the season end. It would reduce our cm need to just one addition (hopefully)
I can't see him developing quite that quickly, but I'd love it if he could become our Eriksen backup/replacement and we never have to bother with the De Jong saga again.

The Irish Connection

He has the same 'too cool for school' swagger. Likes to get into strength wars like Pogba too. You're right though really. Kobbie is better when operating a bit deeper than Pogba does. He is capable of a bit of magic himself though.
I would compare him more to modric than Pogba. He takes care of the ball way better than Pogba. But obviously has a long way to go still to get up to speed with the premier league.

Trex

Clearly ETH rates him, from what I gather ETH is running a meritocracy based on training sessions and games. Garnacho earned his spot and Mainoo is probably impressing to be getting game time. Mctominay hasn't been involved much of late, I hope Mainoo displaces him, I'm sure ETH wouldn't hesitate to put him ahead if he show his quality in the mins he gets. Hopefully he gets a start vs Forest.

Sylar

Hope we get a favourable tie next round so we can do the same as today and he can get more minutes

Kag

He’ll be starting alongside Casemiro at this rate.

He plays like he has more time on the ball than other midfielders, which is usually a good sign.

kidbob

With him and Hannibal I'm very hopeful that we'll be in very good stead in that 8 position in the next couple of years.

Alemar

If Eriksen is injured, he will be starting or being a first CM sub, if it’s Casemiro - Fred who start (in both cases it may mean many minutes)

Thiagoal

For those of you seeing Kobbie for the first few times and thinking he’s a ‘keep it simple’ type of midfielder it might be worth seeing some of his youth team highlights! He’s very combative and very good at playing through balls- he’s also extremely press resistant and a fantastic dribbler. I can’t wait for him to bring these skills to a first team game!!

GueRed

My favourite player in the youth cup run last year.
Hopefully he has the mentality to match his talent because he has the potential to be a very good player imo

footballbite

FFS will you just listen to yourself!! The kid is 17!
It appears you're incapable of reading.

I clearly stated that he's been too passive and played with a lack of intensity even in youth games this season - i.e. even relative to players the same age as him. I also pointed out that for some reason he seems to be playing more passively than he even was last season, i.e. when he was 16.

I also acknowledged his young age.

I'm on record on here posting earlier in the season I think he's the best prospect coming through Utd's academy and would soon overtake the likes of Hannibal and Iqbal in the midfield pecking order, so it's not as if I'm writing him off! But basically every player at all ages will have their strengths and weaknesses and I'm simply pointing out what his currently seem to be. Plus, considering what I've stated to be his ability and potential, I'm just a tad concerned at his development so far this season.

Last edited:

bazza3727

When Fabregas came on the scene at Arsenal he was just 17. The accepted wisdom was that he was too young and lightweight. OK, he had some problems at first, but Wenger persevered with him and reaped the rewards. I reckon we can afford to do that with Mainoo, putting him in now and again against stiffer opposition to see how he does. Otherwise, what's the point of then academy?

Hoof the ball

Very composed, and maybe that's what was needed to kill off the game.

But find him very passive and shy as well so far for the first team. He has much more in his locker.

His biggest attributes to me are his driving with the ball, quick turns, and dribbling in tighter spaces.
That was my impression. Actually thought Iqbal looked more assertive in pre-season, which surprises me why Mainoo has the minutes and Iqbal doesn't.

Hoof the ball

When Fabregas came on the scene at Arsenal he was just 17. The accepted wisdom was that he was too young and lightweight. OK, he had some problems at first, but Wenger persevered with him and reaped the rewards. I reckon we can afford to do that with Mainoo, putting him in now and again against stiffer opposition to see how he does. Otherwise, what's the point of then academy?
There's this reticence with fans to err very heavily on the side of caution. It's a curious one, but imagine if Real didn't play Vinicius at 17, or Barca play Gavi/Pedri at 17, etc. Retrospectively, sure, fans are going to say, "well, they were always going to make it with that talent", but, an argument can be easily made that key and consistent minutes at 17 expedited the process so that, by 20/21, these players might already be at an obscenely high level. What would have happened, for example, if Gavi/Pedri/Vinicius went out on loan instead? Are they reaching their current performance levels at 24/25 instead? Perhaps. At a certain point, if they're talented enough and they have the right mentality, you have to give them their fair minutes to make it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can he play in a deeper role? I'm sure this has been asked before. But I'm asking.

Trex

He's too passive for my liking, lets the play go on without any involvement, doesnt take on players, doesnt dribble and doesnt go into player on player battle.
Wasn't he playing the Casemiro role? Was he suppose to play hero balls oor make driving runs?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wasn't he playing the Casemiro role? Was he suppose to play hero balls oor make driving runs?
Apparently he's meant to just get the ball and run as fast as he can like Garnacho despite playing completely different roles.

For an apparent passive performance:
1.39 passes per minute - highest in the team
1.5 touches per minute - highest in the team

He got on the ball at a higher rate than anyone on the pitch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think that poster is taking the piss out of others who were criticising Mainoo's performance, what he doesn't realise is that his "satirical" posts just end up derailing threads and actually ends up contributing to player pile-ons. People should just give their opinions on players without having to do snarky, satirical posts to emphasize their viewpoints, it just confuses discussion.

croadyman

Apparently he's meant to just get the ball and run as fast as he can like Garnacho despite playing completely different roles.

For an apparent passive performance:
1.39 passes per minute - highest in the team
1.5 touches per minute - highest in the team

He got on the ball at a higher rate than anyone on the pitch.
Yeah we need to see him alongside Casa in order to judge his ability properly. No better time opportunity now with Eriksen out to try it

Status
Not open for further replies.