Kobbie Mainoo

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

16 year old CM/AM/Winger, looks very skillful player, played as midfielder against Leeds (if I'm not wrong) and he has played as winger before.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks a very graceful player on the ball. It'll be very interesting to see how he develops in the coming years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Saw his performance yesterday and thought I was watching the future Pogba. Looks ridiculous. Strength, skill, grace, plays the right passes.

lysglimt

Scout
Saw his performance yesterday and thought I was watching the future Pogba. Looks ridiculous. Strength, skill, grace, plays the right passes.
yeah he looks a level over anyone else at that level

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think I read somewhere that he started out as a striker banging them in? He reminds me of someone like Laird. You can tell almost straight away they’ll make it a high level if they can stay fit and keep getting stronger. Going up though the levels won’t phase him.

khoazany

I think I read somewhere that he started out as a striker banging them in? He reminds me of someone like Laird. You can tell almost straight away they’ll make it a high level if they can stay fit and keep getting stronger. Going up though the levels won’t phase him.
Yeah he was a forward on the younger age groups

vva

From the little clip I saw, I'm not sure if he's able to use his left foot for picking up and passing the ball quite well as his right foot or not. Yes, it's like watching pogba in teenage, but the next question is how good he is in term of defensive responsibility. :smirk:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My favourite player at u18 level. He's very classy on the ball and oozes class, lovely player to watch.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Love all this talent coming through the academy, him and Forson. :drool::devil:

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I really like the look of Mainoo.

I saw him in a few appearances last season for the U18's and he seemed OK. But so far this season he's really looked quality.

I wasn't sure if he was a winger/AM/CM at the start of the season but he's shown himself to be a very promising all round CM with a good mix of physical and technical attributes.

Really hope he continues to impress and improve as he definitely has good potential.

khoazany

His physique has gone up a gear through the summer which helped him to fully transition to be a CM now. Wasnt sure about his position previously.

England better call him up quickly.

Demaw

Agree Bertie and Khoazany, After today in firsts, it would be great to develop a DM6, the achilles heel since Carrick left. Last season Mainoo just looked out of sorts when he came in. A bit like new Derby signing Sharpe the other day on the right wing. This season, wow!! Mainoo has just grown and that extra 6 months is so crucial to some kids. Mainoo looked very composed and looked to move the ball forward at every opportunity. We have so many attacking young options in the future, Hugill, McNeill, Elanga, Shoretire and Emeran in the advanced role, Hannibal, Iqbal, Forson, Gore and Mainoo in mids and Kambala in the defence. Nice to develop a 6 without having to pay 50-100 million for one in the future.

Reactions: Carolina Red

Remember the geese

I like what I see with this kid. Think there's a bit of Pogba about him. I'd like to see him develop a bit deeper and become more the type of player that many bemoan Pogba for not being. Has he played with Hansen-Aarøen yet? Will be great to see Kobbie in the mix with guys like Hannibal and Shoretire too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
To me he looks like an absolute carbon copy of a 16 year old Paul Pogba. The style of his passing, the way he shapes his body and the way he dribbles remind me so much of Pogba.

Bertie Wooster

McAllister tends to play deeper than a true box-to-box as his lack of goals and assists would indicate. From looking at both players, Mainoo gets into forward positions a lot more.
Yeah, I intended to post that at the time but didn't for some reason.

I'd definitely say that, so far, McAllister looks more like a deeper, ball winning #6 while Mainoo looks like a box-to-box #8 who is capable of offering more on the ball and more attacking threat.

I like the look of both at this early stage, but Mainoo looks the more complete CM so far and he's the one I've got highest hopes for.

Bertie Wooster

To me he looks like an absolute carbon copy of a 16 year old Paul Pogba. The style of his passing, the way he shapes his body and the way he dribbles remind me so much of Pogba.
Yeah, I can certainly see that.

I'd been wanting us to have that kind of CM for ages and loved seeing Pogba coming through the ranks and was really hopeful he'd make it, was gutted when he left, and delighted when he returned.

Mainoo is definitely the most complete CM I've seen since at this stage. Obviously he's a hell of a long way to go to get anywhere near Pogba's level of achievements. But, at this age, he certainly has very similar attributes to work with so has every opportunity if he applies himself and hones those many skills.

Beaucoup

Yeah, I intended to post that at the time but didn't for some reason.

I'd definitely say that, so far, McAllister looks more like a deeper, ball winning #6 while Mainoo looks like a box-to-box #8 who is capable of offering more on the ball and more attacking threat.

I like the look of both at this early stage, but Mainoo looks the more complete CM so far and he's the one I've got highest hopes for.
He looks like he's finally found his position, he started off as a striker in the younger age groups, due to his size, he then got shunted around between the 7 & 10 which he was never creative or dynamic enough for.

Demaw

He looks like he's finally found his position, he started off as a striker in the younger age groups, due to his size, he then got shunted around between the 7 & 10 which he was never creative or dynamic enough for.
It would be absolutely brilliant if McAllister and Mainoo came through. Don't forget Hansen as well. I imagine you have seen more of McAllister Beaucoup as I don't see 16's etc but he has been getting impressive write ups for quite awhile. What's so good about Mcallister? Beaucoup, can I ask you about the defender Habeeb Ogunneye, I read amazing reviews of him. Do you think it is all hype or he has something to go much further? Is there any 15-16's kids we should be looking out as well?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Agree Bertie and Khoazany, After today in firsts, it would be great to develop a DM6, the achilles heel since Carrick left. Last season Mainoo just looked out of sorts when he came in. A bit like new Derby signing Sharpe the other day on the right wing. This season, wow!! Mainoo has just grown and that extra 6 months is so crucial to some kids. Mainoo looked very composed and looked to move the ball forward at every opportunity. We have so many attacking young options in the future, Hugill, McNeill, Elanga, Shoretire and Emeran in the advanced role, Hannibal, Iqbal, Forson, Gore and Mainoo in mids and Kambala in the defence. Nice to develop a 6 without having to pay 50-100 million for one in the future.
tbf I thought Timothy Fosu-Mensah has the makings of a decent 6 when I first saw him at 16 or 17. Composed, fast and physical.

Demaw

tbf I thought Timothy Fosu-Mensah has the makings of a decent 6 when I first saw him at 16 or 17. Composed, fast and physical.
Yes mate, I really thought he was going to be a gun at DM as he seemed to have it all, good passing, huge motor and everything. That jump into the first team is so much bigger than we realise.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes mate, I really thought he was going to be a gun at DM as he seemed to have it all, good passing, huge motor and everything. That jump into the first team is so much bigger than we realise.
Think the first loa to Palace(?) and sticking him at RB fecked with his confidence. Suddenly he seemed so jittery and wreckless.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Think the first loa to Palace(?) and sticking him at RB fecked with his confidence. Suddenly he seemed so jittery and wreckless.
He's had a lot of injuries as well tbf. Not every player can develop without good long runs of regular games. I think it's a particular problem for defenders as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I doubt it. His loan at Palace was a success, he played very well and was a regular for about two thirds of the season. The issue is that he was never given a chance to play in midfield as a senior. I too thought he’d make a good DM, he was rapid, his tackling was also superb - but as is often the way, young kids are not put in the middle.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I said the same, I think the very good thing is he also appears to be a good passer. Over the years I’ve looked at so many Pogba-type midfielders and analysed whether they could be better fits for us from the likes of Soumare, Ndombele, Gravenberch, Bazoer etc but the first thing you notice is that NONE of them are even close to being able to pass like Pogs. And that is a large part of his weaponary that we benefit from. The others have similar builds, strength, can dribble and maybe play a short game, but that vision and passing is never there. Mainoo excites me as he seems to be able to pass the ball very well too.

Demaw

I said the same, I think the very good thing is he also appears to be a good passer. Over the years I’ve looked at so many Pogba-type midfielders and analysed whether they could be better fits for us from the likes of Soumare, Ndombele, Gravenberch, Bazoer etc but the first thing you notice is that NONE of them are even close to being able to pass like Pogs. And that is a large part of his weaponary that we benefit from. The others have similar builds, strength, can dribble and maybe play a short game, but that vision and passing is never there. Mainoo excites me as he seems to be able to pass the ball very well too.
So true Rozay, you see these hard workers in 18's etc and you think they are everywhere and tenacious. They will go a lot further but they don't. Pearson, Tunnicliffe (new Roy) (remember them) To have all the skills of fitness, drive and technique at a world class level is rare and I think our midfield has had the best, Scholes, Keane, Beckham and Robson etc and they had it all in spades.
Tricky one as I don't see Hansen as a Roy Keane, not box to box but has lovely technique and awareness, more like Scholes. Hannibal is box to box, very combative and has good technique. Shola Shoretire is similar to Hansen and I would say his game awareness and when to pass, run etc is amazing. It has been developed by playing well above his age for so long. We have to be patient as he is only 17. Mainoo seems to have a good engine and has nice ability to pass, move from the defender and play forward. Only just started watching him in 18's so more time is needed.
Can we get a Keane anymore? Not sure, The 4 boys mentioned above have many qualities, I might think Hannibal is the one with the most qualities of box to box and technique for midfield?? Really tough s they are all young and have time on their side.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
So true Rozay, you see these hard workers in 18's etc and you think they are everywhere and tenacious. They will go a lot further but they don't. Pearson, Tunnicliffe (new Roy) (remember them) To have all the skills of fitness, drive and technique at a world class level is rare and I think our midfield has had the best, Scholes, Keane, Beckham and Robson etc and they had it all in spades.
Tricky one as I don't see Hansen as a Roy Keane, not box to box but has lovely technique and awareness, more like Scholes. Hannibal is box to box, very combative and has good technique. Shola Shoretire is similar to Hansen and I would say his game awareness and when to pass, run etc is amazing. It has been developed by playing well above his age for so long. We have to be patient as he is only 17. Mainoo seems to have a good engine and has nice ability to pass, move from the defender and play forward. Only just started watching him in 18's so more time is needed.
Can we get a Keane anymore? Not sure, The 4 boys mentioned above have many qualities, I might think Hannibal is the one with the most qualities of box to box and technique for midfield?? Really tough s they are all young and have time on their side.
I don't think any of the players you mentioned (nor any today) are true box-to-box in the mould of Robson, Ince or Keane. None of them score anywhere near the number of goals those players did...especially Robson who was probably the best in the world ever as a true B2B midfielder. The stamina, energy and drive of those three I mentioned were phenomenal.