Kobbie Mainoo

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks good, but what is most noticeable is that he looks to be in the midst of much younger players. I.e. he's physically ahead of the curve.
He seems to have developed physically, but what's sticks out is his technical ability on the ball. The first time I saw him play was in a game against Liverpool where we were comfortably beaten and many on here were very critical of our performance and critical of our players. And in that game, Liverpool were physically dominating our players including Mainoo who was physically overpowered on occasions by Liverpool's James Balagizi. But it was Mainoo who I thought was the stand out player in the game due to his touch and technique. The link to the thread below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/u18s-man-utd-v-liverpool.464908/

jesperjaap

Looks good, but what is most noticeable is that he looks to be in the midst of much younger players. I.e. he's physically ahead of the curve.
Yes not seen much of him, but to me though his technique is very good, he seems very much at ease in any of the minutes I have watched him or videos, knowin ghe an rely on his strength to hold players off too....translating his technique without that strength to the mens game will be a huge difference.

Not wanting to criticise him at all as like him whenever I see him, but do fear he is gettign seriously over hyped at such an early age in terms of his technique, which is very good rather than elite looking. Thats criticising the hyp train rather than the player as looking forward to seeign him develop

footballbite

He's not in the midst of much younger players though, given he didn't turn 17 that long ago he's probably more one of the younger players himself. He could just be strong, as opposed to ahead of the curve.

Also, if you actually watch more of the match (highlights and the full game can be found online), you'll see that there were actually a lot of big lads on the pitch, including a fair few bigger. Mainoo does seem to have more strength than some of those around him, but a fair bit of that seems to do with how well he uses his body to shield the ball, as much as having an actual physical advantage per se. You see plenty of decent level professional players that by contrast seem big at first glance but struggle to use their physicality in a meaningful way.

lysglimt

Scout
As I wrote in another post - the only minor concern I have with Mainoo is that he slows the game down . If he gets the ball - he can hold onto it for 2-3 seconds and dummy the opponent, before bursting forward.

Ronaldo did the same thing at the start of his career using stepovers

But apart from that - he could easily be the best all-round talent we have had since Pogba

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
As I wrote in another post - the only minor concern I have with Mainoo is that he slows the game down . If he gets the ball - he can hold onto it for 2-3 seconds and dummy the opponent, before bursting forward.

But apart from that - he could easily be the best all-round talent we have had since Pogba
He saunters around like a Pogba.

Remember the geese

He's a big, big talent and shouldn't be playing at this level in my opinion. I'd have him around the first team and learning from Eriksen every single day. The odd cameo here and there. At times the game becomes too easy for him and that leads to sloppiness and complacency. Without meaning to go all Souness on him, I'd like to see him move the ball quicker on occasions. Unlike Souness' assertion on Grealish, I don't believe it's due to Mainoo being unable to see the picture quickly enough, more that he loves being on the ball and likes to over-indulge a little too much at times. It's terrific that he looks better suited to a deeper role than Pogba did.

pascell

He's a big, big talent and shouldn't be playing at this level in my opinion. I'd have him around the first team and learning from Eriksen every single day. The odd cameo here and there. At times the game becomes too easy for him and that leads to sloppiness and complacency. Without meaning to go all Souness on him, I'd like to see him move the ball quicker on occasions. Unlike Souness' assertion on Grealish, I don't believe it's due to Mainoo being unable to see the picture quickly enough, more that he loves being on the ball and likes to over-indulge a little too much at times. It's terrific that he looks better suited to a deeper role than Pogba did.
He'll be around the first team already during training sessions, he's best playing in the u18s until the turn of the year, then possibly moving between the u18s & u23s.

He's obviously a lot more physically developed than most players his age, I think the aim coming from the coaches will be to get him relying more on the technical aspects of his game. Once he can do that consistently for the u18s, which he's currently doing, then move him up to the u23s.

There's no rush to bring him into the first team fold. Plus our £60m midfield signing hasn't even bedded in yet, let's wait and see but Mainoo should be finishing the season having played more for the u23s at the tail end, that would be a good sign of progress, as he's only 17.

Remember the geese

He'll be around the first team already during training sessions, he's best playing in the u18s until the turn of the year, then possibly moving between the u18s & u23s.

He's obviously a lot more physically developed than most players his age, I think the aim coming from the coaches will be to get him relying more on the technical aspects of his game. Once he can do that consistently for the u18s, which he's currently doing, then move him up to the u23s.

There's no rush to bring him into the first team fold. Plus our £60m midfield signing hasn't even bedded in yet, let's wait and see but Mainoo should be finishing the season having played more for the u23s at the tail end, that would be a good sign of progress, as he's only 17.
Yeah, I do hope that he is training regularly with the first team. I'd have him solely in the 23's this season as he's done his time in the 18's already in my opinion. He's already played a few times for the 23's this season.

I think he's the best suited deputy for Eriksen in the squad right now, though I'm not advocating him getting 20-30 games obviously. Agree with you on the coaches getting him to rely more on the technical side of his game, rather than his physical advantage. I'm really excited to see what ten Hag can do with him from a tactical point of view because all the talent is there.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, I do hope that he is training regularly with the first team. I'd have him solely in the 23's this season as he's done his time in the 18's already in my opinion. He's already played a few times for the 23's this season.

I think he's the best suited deputy for Eriksen in the squad right now, though I'm not advocating him getting 20-30 games obviously. Agree with you on the coaches getting him to rely more on the technical side of his game, rather than his physical advantage. I'm really excited to see what ten Hag can do with him from a tactical point of view because all the talent is there.
I'd like to see him get a few minutes in the EL or league cup but I think you're being very optimistic if you think he's going to just step into the first team and take to it straight away. CM is one of the hardest positions for inexperienced players to impress in - just holding your own in the Prem as a teenage CM is impressive even if you're not doing all that much. I think Iqbal is that little bit closer at the moment but I like Mainoo, he's going to be some player if he keeps his feet on the ground.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, some players just play the game at their own pace and everything still flows through them.

Thiagoal

He dominated full time professional men in the football league trophy! There is no need for him to be playing at such an ‘easy’ level for him now IMHO

Thiagoal

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, some players just play the game at their own pace and everything still flows through them.
I was going to say the same! All the elite central midfielders of the past could play the game at their own pace

Remember the geese

I'd like to see him get a few minutes in the EL or league cup but I think you're being very optimistic if you think he's going to just step into the first team and take to it straight away. CM is one of the hardest positions for inexperienced players to impress in - just holding your own in the Prem as a teenage CM is impressive even if you're not doing all that much. I think Iqbal is that little bit closer at the moment but I like Mainoo, he's going to be some player if he keeps his feet on the ground.
I don't expect him to step into the first team and take to it straight away. As you said, I would suggest minutes in the League cup/Europa League, as well as some cameos in the Prem if we are a few goals up. Zidane is more senior, but in my opinion Mainoo is the bigger talent. I honestly believe that he could be playing fairly regularly in the Championship right now if he had come through at a Birmingham or similar.

Idxomer

I think players like him should be loaned to a midtable club in the Eredivisie like Madrid and Chelsea did with Odegaard and Mount.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
He's still eligible for the FAYC right? Would like to see him dominate like Greenwood that year

lysglimt

Scout
No - but if you more or less always do it when you have the ball at your feet, it is a concern. Compare that to Eriksen, Carrick - players who knew most passing options before they received the ball. If you play the type of football United often play these days with quick counter-attacking, you do not want a Mainoo who spends 2 seconds before releasing the ball.

Don't get me wrong - I still think Mainoo is a huge talent, but just that part of the game is something he needs to work on.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
No - but if you more or less always do it when you have the ball at your feet, it is a concern. Compare that to Eriksen, Carrick - players who knew most passing options before they received the ball. If you play the type of football United often play these days with quick counter-attacking, you do not want a Mainoo who spends 2 seconds before releasing the ball.

Don't get me wrong - I still think Mainoo is a huge talent, but just that part of the game is something he needs to work on.
Precisely. that's why he needs the (training and playing) time/space to develop that visualisation and anticipation. Push him too fast up and he won't have that.

He is too Pogbaish at the moment but without the ability to be as press-resistant, especially with the more physical, faster players at the 1st team's competition level.

lysglimt

Scout
He's still eligible for the FAYC right? Would like to see him dominate like Greenwood that year
Yeah it should be any player born after september 1st 2004 is eligibile to play - so the team should be picked from these players - hope I didnt forget anyone

Wooster, Hanbury, Harrison

Aljofree, Murray, Fredrikson, Jackson, Ogunneye, Kingdon, Nolan, Parker. Lawrence

Mainoo, Oyedele, Gore, Berry, McAllister, Sharpe, Moorhouse Ibragimov, Williams

Mather, Norkett, Wheatley

Curley and Ennis would normally also be fighting for a place, but after their injuries - they are not likely to take part this season.

Still a really good side - and in my opinion we will line-up pretty similar to the team playing yesterday against Blackburn. Murray will come in at left back, and possibly Jackson in for Fredrikson but that is a tight call anyway. I assume Mainoo played for the U18 yesterday because of the FA Youth Cup.

Remember the geese

Greenwood was awesome until we went out his final year
I remember watching the game against Chelsea when he scored a hatrick. It was the best performance I think I've ever seen from a youth team player. He was very good in the next round too, even though we lost to Brighton.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Awesome talent. Could be a huge player for us in the future.

Thiagoal

If you watch his highlights from yesterday, I really can’t see a player dwelling too long on the ball. I see a player receive the ball with a picture of what’s around him and making choices based on that. It a quick pass is on then that’s what he does- if not then he keeps the ball until a more suitable option is on. His skill set and manoeuvring of the ball is actually very De Jong like and I’m sure that ETH will be nurturing him with an eye on a first team debut this season!

Mickson

I remember watching the game against Chelsea when he scored a hatrick. It was the best performance I think I've ever seen from a youth team player. He was very good in the next round too, even though we lost to Brighton.
He was insane. He regularly did the things Kobbie did in the video earlier. Instead, he scored a goal after beating 2, or 3 players.

Remember the geese

He was insane. He regularly did the things Kobbie did in the video earlier. Instead, he scored a goal after beating 2, or 3 players.
It sounds like hyperbole, but he really did. He had everything. That free kick away against Newcastle :drool: Kobbie looks a terrific talent in his own right though. In my eyes, he's pretty much the reason why we don't need to sign an additional midfielder.

Beaucoup

Too many touches, which gets him into a physical battle that he usually wins, for now.

Bojan Djordjic

I hope aren't trying to develop him into a 10. Would much prefer having a talent like him playing deeper.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fantastic take down which further demonstrates his excellent first touch and technique.

Thiagoal

I hope aren't trying to develop him into a 10. Would much prefer having a talent like him playing deeper.
I very much doubt that’s the plan! United do have history in moving players around at this age to get an appreciation of other positions. To be fair though he did very well in the 10 role today so who knows!