Kobe Bryant RIP

Darkhorsez

I still can’t believe this terrible news! He is the reason I watched NBA and followed the Lakers. Basketball was never the same when he retired. What an amazing athlete and player. He was also a great humanitarian. I feel awful for his wife. Can’t even imagine what she is going through right now. RIP Kobe.

Kaush949

I am completely devastated. He was my childhood idol.

I watched him from #8 to #24 all the way:

- Rookie season
- Slam Dunk Contest
- Adidas
- shaq & kobe beginnings
- Title 2000, Repeat 2001, Threepeat 2002
- Shaq & Kobe Beef
- Detroit Loss
- Shaq leaving & barbs
- Mamba begins
- 81 points
- Gasol & Kobe beginnings
- Phil Jackson return
- Mamba 2009
- Mamba 2010

I can't believe that he's gone.

And WTF is wrong with fox news viewers. The comments on the breaking news article are absolutely shocking. I cannot believe humans can be like this.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Grew up with Kobe as my idol. Blessed to have witnessed Lakers success, with him providing so many fist pumping “oohhhhh! Yesssssss!” moments into adulthood. To go down with your 13 year old daughter in those last seconds is unimaginable.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Someone posted this in the NBA thread but even if you're not into basketball you can admire this mans skill...

Thanks for posting that. I'm not really into Basketball but I even knew Kobe was one of the all time greats and watching that video I can't help but think what a force of nature he was. A colossus.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I feel the equivalent would be if Beckham died, obviously not as good a footballer as Kobe was a basketball player, but the level of fame and position in the global consciousness is the same.
Yeah that's a good shout.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Been a few hours now and I still can not wrap my head around it. Feels as if everything is in slow motion, just reading the sentence "Kobe Bryant died" does not seem right. It does not feel like it was his time at all. Kids growing up and even now shouted "Kobe!" when shooting a crumbled piece of paper into the trash can, that says a lot about what he meant to the sport. He was an idol to young and old and....man this is just a really really sad day. Biggest death I can remember in a long long time. Also can not forget his daughters passing which makes this that much worse.

Also as an avid jersey collector it is utterly DISGUSTING how people are feeling his jersey on eBay and other sites for $500-$1000. The only thing worse then them is the stupid people paying that insane amount which is why they will always keep doing it. Classless people/scum.

RIP Kobe and RIP Gianna

You're impact on the sport and what you meant to millions can never be taken away. I hope the Lakers honor him one day with a statue. Greatest Laker of all time.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Someone posted this in the NBA thread but even if you're not into basketball you can admire this mans skill...

Ya that was the one I posted. The music as well just fit the mood perfectly in a sad way, The last 3 minutes of the video gave me chills. Still does not feel real.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Can you fecking believe this guy? :mad:

He really is a shameless human being.
not a fan of Trump. Don’t have a clue what he’s previous interactions with Kobe were, but seems like this one of those ones where he’s damned if he comments and dammed he doesn’t.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Was he still playing Basketball or had he already retired?

Rest in peace to everyone who died anyway.

Sandyman

RIP Legend!

I started following Basketball when he and Shaq were in full flow for the Lakers. So many great memories

Sandyman

Was he still playing Basketball or had he already retired?

Rest in peace to everyone who died anyway.
He retired in 2016. A one club man - started and finished his career with the Lakers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
not a fan of Trump. Don’t have a clue what he’s previous interactions with Kobe were, but seems like this one of those ones where he’s damned if he comments and dammed he doesn’t.
What am I missing here?
It's not that he did or didn't comment but just to basically rip Obama's tweet is just lazy at best and lacking sincerity and insulting at worst. Come on, how hard can it be? Unless he really doesn't give a feck. But then again Kobe called him out and he always bears a grudge, so it makes sense, I guess.

Silas

Still in shock. That Gianna was onboard as well as a friend/teammate of hers and their parent is truly heartbreaking.

Nope. Verified member has said you can’t.
Carbon v2.5 didn't even exist in 2012. Verified member of what?

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Eh, the BBC showing clips of Lebron when talking about Kobe :rolleyes:
That was amateurish.
Still in shock. That Gianna was onboard as well as a friend/teammate of hers and their parent is truly heartbreaking.

Carbon v2.5 didn't even exist in 2012. Verified member of what?
Been updated since then...

1) Twitter does not have an API that allows for changing post dates (or changing tweets in anyway). Tweets are immutable once posted.

2) This tweet was not posted via Carbon v2.5, as the label indicates. It was posted from an earlier version of @CarbonApp.

3)While tweets cannot be edited, developers can login to their dashboard and update their app name/label.

4) The developers of @CarbonApp likely just updated their app name as they released new versions. All old tweets from that app show “2.5” now.

5)Carbon, the Twitter app, can only do what Twitter’s API allows. Twitter’s API does not allow modifying tweets, including dates.

6)If someone had found a way to access a private/undocumented Twitter API that allowed this to be done, Twitter would cut them off easily.

Last edited:

r0663664

Worships Man City
RIP. One of the greatest basketball player and athlete of all time. Relentless pursuit of excellence. I reckon that he would be Messi or Ronaldo or Maradona. I am sad and shock with his passing.

forevrared

Man, I can't think of many celebrity deaths that have hit me this hard. If anything, I grew up a Lakers hater, so I wasn't much of a Kobe fan as a kid, but as I got older, I came to respect him in a big way. Sort of like how I resented Messi for so long before realizing how lucky I am to be a football fan during his career and getting the opportunity to watch one of the best to ever do it.

I live and work about 3/4 of a mile from Staples Center in LA and it was just surreal how it felt like the whole town took a collective gut punch this morning. I'd walk by people today and we'd both kind of make reluctant eye contact, one or both of us would shake our heads, and there'd be a, "Kobe, man..." It took about 30-40 minutes then every other person would be decked out in Lakers gear and Kobe jerseys. I saw quite a few bouquets of purple and yellow flowers as people headed down to the makeshift memorial at Staples. What a shit day.

This went viral a week or two ago, and man, I was so looking forward to seeing what Kobe was going to do in life after basketball. The proud look on his face when she gets what he's telling her... damn.

RIP to him, Gigi, and the rest of their friends on board.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He basically copied Obama's tweet and changed a few words but sentence after sentence the structure is the same.
Most platitudes from celebs are templated and follow the same sort of structure

There are heaps of things to hammer Trump about without everyone whingeing about a fecking tweet where he essentially says nice things about an awful situation

Abizzz

Horrible. Just horrible. 40-50 years too early. The kids even more.

I had just watched knuckelheads with him a couple of days ago. He seemed like he could achieve as much after his NBA career as in it. The world lost someone it couldn't afford to lose there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said that the department’s Air Support Division grounded its helicopters Sunday morning because of foggy conditions and didn’t fly until later in the afternoon.

“The weather situation did not meet our minimum standards for flying,” Rubenstein said.

The fog “was enough that we were not flying,” he said. LAPD’s flight minimums are 2 miles of visibility and an 800-foot cloud ceiling, he said. The department typically flies two helicopters when conditions allow — one in the San Fernando Valley and one in the L.A. Basin, he said.

The LAPD Air Support Division is the largest municipal airborne law enforcement organization in the United States, according to the department.
This seems more and more like an avoidable tragedy.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't watch NBA but I know Kobe Bryant was one of the biggest name in NBA history, his popularity/achievements/wealth are equivalent to Ronaldo/Messi in football. Its huge loss to world of sports.