Kobe Bryant - What’s his legacy?

Conor

What are people's thoughts on the rape he was accused of? Seems to have been largely forgotten about, even though the victim's testimony is pretty horrific. I only read about it yesterday, is it contentious, or do people simply not care because he was good at basketball?

Conor

I don’t think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss this. You can open a separate thread on that (overall legacy, for instance).
Create your own thread and ask @Eboue.
This is hardly a thread for it...
I don't see why not, I see everyone waxing lyrical about him in here, but it appears that he committed a heinous and unforgivable act and got away with it, simply because of how wealthy he was. I reckon things of that nature should be taken into account when proclaiming how great a man he was? If you want to just ignore it because he got buckets, then work away.

As Eboue mentioned in another thread, if this was the death thread of another celebrity that had done something similar, you can guarantee there would be plenty of talk about their acts in it.

Ban

I don't see why not, I see everyone waxing lyrical about him in here, but it appears that he committed a heinous and unforgivable act and got away with it, simply because of how wealthy he was. I reckon things of that nature should be taken into account when proclaiming how great a man he was? If you want to just ignore it because he got buckets, then work away.

As Eboue mentioned in another thread, if this was the death thread of another celebrity that had done something similar, you can guarantee there would be plenty of talk about their acts in it.
Leave it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Feel free to start a separate thread to discuss the allegation.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Feel free to discuss this in a separate thread, keep it away from this one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Make a separate thread to discuss it. I agree with you that people should be remembered for all that they do but have a little bit of empathy for the mans family straight after his death. Despite what he may or may not have done, he still leaves behind a wife and kids who are grieving. If you want to discuss it then we aren’t stopping you, just do so in a separate thread.

Conor

Make a separate thread to discuss it. I agree with you that people should be remembered for all that they do but have a little bit of empathy for the mans family straight after his death. Despite what he may or may not have done, he still leaves behind a wife and kids who are grieving. If you want to discuss it then we aren’t stopping you, just do so in a separate thread.
He does, and I would clearly never say this to anyone that actually knew the man, this is an internet forum full of people that have never met him, proclaiming how amazing he was. They also seem to be loath to acknowledge that someone they really did something that definitely should be discussed when talking about his impact on the world.

I don't really care about the topic enough to make a separate thread, so I'll leave it there. However, I disagree that this is not the place to discuss it, I actually found out about it from this thread, and I'm happy I did. Not sure why anyone would want to glorify someone that did something like that, no matter how good he was at a sport.

Sarni

He does, and I would clearly never say this to anyone that actually knew the man, this is an internet forum full of people that have never met him, proclaiming how amazing he was. They also seem to be loath to acknowledge that someone they really did something that definitely should be discussed when talking about his impact on the world.

I don't really care about the topic enough to make a separate thread, so I'll leave it there. However, I disagree that this is not the place to discuss it, I actually found out about it from this thread, and I'm happy I did. Not sure why anyone would want to glorify someone that did something like that, no matter how good he was at a sport.
Yes please.

Not that i really want to give air to your thoughts in this thread, but he was never convicted of doing anything.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I disagree with those who say this isn’t the time to discuss it. Much like people say immediately after a school shooting isn’t the time to discuss gun laws when in fact it’s exactly the time it should be being discussed. If people are going to discuss his legacy then it needs to include the bad parts aswell as the good. Like you I didn’t know about the allegations (will read the article later).

But @Raoul has spoken so let’s leave it there.

Conor

I disagree with those who say this isn’t the time to discuss it. Much like people say immediately after a school shooting isn’t the time to discuss gun laws when in fact it’s exactly the time it should be being discussed. If people are going to discuss his legacy then it needs to include the bad parts aswell as the good. Like you I didn’t know about the allegations (will read the article later).

But @Raoul has spoken so let’s leave it there.
Exactly, it's willful ignorance because people don't like to address these sorts of inconvenient truths related to things/people they like.

Ban

Exactly, it's willful ignorance because people don't like to address these sorts of inconvenient truths related to things/people they like.
You only read about the rape incident yesterday by your words and you won't let it go in a thread called Kobe RIP. Few posters said you can make a separate thread but no you're going on with it. Nobody is saying they know what kind of person he was cause obviously nobody here doesn't know that but celebrating his legacy in basketball. I don't know why is it so hard for some people to write rest in peace and move on or if they don't have anything good to say not to say anything at all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Trying to keep any mention of negative aspects out of this thread is a little weird.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's good to see that the other people involved finally get a mention. It's been all about Kobe and his daughter, found it quite disrespectful.
Furthermore the condolences all over the web seem a bit pretended, but maybe that's just me. It has always been like this when a celebrity dies these days...
These days, or always? I mean, what do you expect?

Trying to keep any mention of negative aspects out of this thread is a little weird.
True.

But then it does all stem from the edgelord himself, Eboue. Chucks a grenade in the sits back to watch, gotta admire it in a basic detroit bitch kind of way.

In any case, people died in a tragic accident including two young girls, even if we don't know them it's fine to feel sad about it.

Sarni

People had 17 years to discuss rape allegations. There's absolutely no need to bring that up in a thread that is purely meant to offer tribute and condolences.

Regardless of what he did or did not do (he was not convicted), there's no denying he had impact on millions of people around the world, and by all accounts he helped a lot of people outside of court as well. There's no denying about the impact he had on basketball and LA community.

There's absolutely no need for that sort of discussion here, man and his daughter died along with other people, including almost full family, and if all you have to say is 'but he apparently raped someone' then I don't think it's that difficult to stay away from this thread and not say anything at all.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Stop acting like a prick in a thread about someone's death over something you literally know feck all about.

If you don't care about it to start a new thread, just feck off from this thread.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
These days, or always? I mean, what do you expect?

True.

But then it does all stem from the edgelord himself, Eboue. Chucks a grenade in the sits back to watch, gotta admire it in a basic detroit bitch kind of way.

In any case, people died in a tragic accident including two young girls, even if we don't know them it's fine to feel sad about it.
Eboue got threadbanned to be fair so he’s not just sat back he’s been kept away.

People had 17 years to discuss rape allegations. There's absolutely no need to bring that up in a thread that is purely meant to offer tribute and condolences.

Regardless of what he did or did not do (he was not convicted), there's no denying he had impact on millions of people around the world, and by all accounts he helped a lot of people outside of court as well. There's no denying about the impact he had on basketball and LA community.

There's absolutely no need for that sort of discussion here, man and his daughter died along with other people, including almost full family, and if all you have to say is 'but he apparently raped someone' then I don't think it's that difficult to stay away from this thread and not say anything at all.
I just don’t really understand the logic in keeping the issues separate to be honest.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Eboue got threadbanned to be fair so he’s not just sat back he’s been kept away.

I just don’t really understand the logic in keeping the issues separate to be honest.
Because it's common decency to not talk shit about someone who just died?

He's not even dead for 24 hours and you've idiots derailing the thread when they literally know feck all about the incident until after his death.

Conor

You only read about the rape incident yesterday by your words and you won't let it go in a thread called Kobe RIP. Few posters said you can make a separate thread but no you're going on with it. Nobody is saying they know what kind of person he was cause obviously nobody here doesn't know that but celebrating his legacy in basketball. I don't know why is it so hard for some people to write rest in peace and move on or if they don't have anything good to say not to say anything at all.
I mentioned it as I had previously thought very highly of him, as I played basketball for years during his peak, so wanted to know how other people felt about the situation. I don't know why this thread has to be some sort of North Korean-esque eulogy to him, are you not capable of handling this sort of discussion about someone you idolise? I had said I wouldn't post any more, but people(including you) keep quoting me, so I'll keep going if I feel I need to respond to something.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

He's not even dead for 24 hours and you've idiots derailing the thread when they literally know feck all about the incident until after his death.
Mentioning something that happened in his life isn't "talking shit" about him

HTG

Supports
Bayern

How is talking about the allegations talking shit? The allegations are real, the sex happened and Kobe even apologised to the victim. And when would one be allowed to talk about it?
If people want to mourn his death, that’s fine. But you can’t expect to do it online without being confronted with the negative aspects of his life.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

It’s not “talking shit” to discuss something about his life, and acknowledging that question mark doesn’t mean that his death is any less tragic or shocking.

Ban

I mentioned it as I had previously thought very highly of him, as I played basketball for years during his peak, so wanted to know how other people felt about the situation. I don't know why this thread has to be some sort of North Korean-esque eulogy to him, are you not capable of handling this sort of discussion about someone you idolise? I had said I wouldn't post any more, but people(including you) keep quoting me, so I'll keep going if I feel I need to respond to something.
You keep going then if it makes you feel happy.

Ban

I see that the shitlord crusade is still going on, joke's on you @Raoul for the unbanning.

PLEASE DISCUSS THINGS THAT AREN'T RELEVANT TO THE PERSON'S DEATH WITH ME!!!! PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POSTS!!!!
If someone told me who started it I'd believe him in an instant.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I see that the shitlord crusade is still going on, joke's on you @Raoul for the unbanning.

PLEASE DISCUSS THINGS THAT AREN'T RELEVANT TO THE PERSON'S DEATH WITH ME!!!! PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POSTS!!!!
Can you discuss your issues with said poster on a separate thread please? This thread is for the discussion of the life and death of Kobe Bryant.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Its amazing to me that in 2020, we can’t even allow people to grieve anymore.

People have lost a father, a husband, a son, a friend, a mentor, a teammate, an example, a hero.

We can all dissect someone’s life after they have passed away and learn from it, both in what they did well, and where they possibly went wrong. That discussion is important.

But I find it sickening that people are so keen to provoke and argue that they can’t even let one small thread stand as a mark of respect to someone’s life. One that has been lost so tragically.

It’s hard to be honest with ourselves but some people need to take a step back and look at their motives behind certain actions.
People have lost a father, a husband, a son, a friend, a mentor, a teammate, an example, a hero.

None of the people who lost a father, husband, son, friend, teammate, and mentor are reading redcafe.

So it's just people who thought of him as a hero because he was good at basketball. And it's relevant that maybe they shouldn't think of him as a hero because of the monstrous crime he committed.

Conor

People are acting like he was caught stealing beer, or was arrested for a bar fight. These are things you can probably forgive as missteps. Not sure how you can overlook what accounts to a violent rape? Also, you need to assess your life if you're so aggrieved by a sportspersons death, who you never knew, that you can't handle any sort of mature discussion.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Are people on here that never met kobe really grieving, or are they just a bit saddened about a sportsman passing?
Is it essential we grade the level of sadness or grief of those posting in this thread?
People are acting like he was caught stealing beer, or was arrested for a bar fight. These are things you can probably forgive as missteps. Not sure how you can overlook what accounts to a violent rape? Also, you need to assess your life if you're so aggrieved by a sportspersons death, who you never knew, that you can't handle any sort of mature discussion.
Why have you got such a beef about this, particularly given you only read about it yesterday. Feels like your sole interest is in provoking.

MTF

Are people on here that never met kobe really grieving, or are they just a bit saddened about a sportsman passing?
Why would you even question it? Balanced people don't step into a thread where people are grieving someone that they personally didn't care about to question why anyone feels the way they do just because they actually had no relation to the deceased.

TheReligion

Abusive
So was Bryant convicted of rape? I was under the impression he wasn't? if so people should stop harping on about it irrespective of their thoughts. The justice system cleared him and ultimately that's all that matters like it or lump it.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
So was Bryant convicted of rape? I was under the impression he wasn't? if so people should stop harping on about it irrespective of their thoughts. The justice system cleared him and ultimately that's all that matters like it or lump it.
Err, no the justice system didn't clear him. And I strongly urge you to read more about the case before making proclamations like that.

Ban

I've been posting about Kobe being a rapist on redcafe since 2011. If you dont know what you are talking about its okay to just not say anything.
Yeah sure.
Anyway I'm glad you found yourself in my post.

Last edited: