Kobe Bryant - What’s his legacy?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
That's the last thing that can be thrown at United fans given they had no problems in jumping on Giggs and throwing him off the pedestal he used to be on prior to his revelations. And there aren't many if any bigger heroes for United fans than him. As long as the evidence is clear and decisive majority always takes the side of the victim so the quoted part is pretty much a baseless conspiracy theory.
Well Kobe apparently cheated on many occasions and I don't see anyone knocking him for that on here, and that's the appropriate comparison no?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
This article doesn’t prove anything if I’m being honest. I’ll catch flak here for saying this but maybe it’s not impossible that a woman would “clout chase” as you say with rape allegations. It mentioned she’s got mental issues and tried to commit suicide twice. The only thing you can be sure of is that the man was a serial cheater, which is not a surprise with all star celebrities.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Ok, so given the balance of his life story - how would you look back at CR7’s life and how much would the rape allegation factor in ?
Sorry but can you please take your discussion on CR7 to the appropriate thread?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
That's the last thing that can be thrown at United fans given they had no problems in jumping on Giggs and throwing him off the pedestal he used to be on prior to his revelations. And there aren't many if any bigger heroes for United fans than him. As long as the evidence is clear and decisive majority always takes the side of the victim so the quoted part is pretty much a baseless conspiracy theory.
What clear and decisive evidence is there going to be in a rape case? That wasn't present in this case

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well if you United fans threw Giggs of a pedestal for fecking his sister in law, what do you think the reaction would be if he was a convicted rapist?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sorry but can you please take your discussion on CR7 to the appropriate thread?
Please include the specifics of Cristiano's hypothetical untimely end in your OP too, so we can address the matter with the seriousness it deserves.

Florida Man

There’s literally a thread where we can discuss Kobe’s rape case but somehow we’re oppressing and censoring this discussion. :rolleyes:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In terms of his legacy, as someone who isn't a basketball fan the fact that he was very credibly accused of rape was one of the first things that came to mind yesterday. After all, his non-confession apology to the victim is quite famous and the fact of the rape accusation itself has had enough cultural currency to be repeatedly brought up in various forms over the years. It's certainly a large part of how many will remember him.

This article doesn’t prove anything if I’m being honest. I’ll catch flak here for saying this but maybe it’s not impossible that a woman would “clout chase” as you say with rape allegations. It mentioned she’s got mental issues and tried to commit suicide twice. The only thing you can be sure of is that the man was a serial cheater, which is not a surprise with all star celebrities.
Kobe himself accepted that the woman genuinely believed she had been raped, accepted that she was making the accusation without ill-motive and apologized to her for how he behaved in the incident. Though only after she had already had her reputation publicly trashed. That's a hell of a weak position for you to suggest she was "clout chasing" from, even without getting into the broader point that a woman is many multiple times more likely to be raped than they are falsely accuse someone of rape.

Conor

As dodgy as people who only found out about the allegation yesterday suddenly becoming a self-appointed expert and leading a one man mission to ensure the whole world knows of the allegations?
Obviously this is aimed at me, and I think it's nonsense. I initially asked for people's opinions on the topic, given how many people were claiming him to be the ultimate role model and all round do-gooder. That descended into tit for tat with people quoting me, instead of just ignoring my post(I now understand it's hard to think straight in the depths of grief).

I would hope that anyone that reads the article posted, and other sources, would come to the same conclusion as me, but it seems, as with most celebs, people are willing to just disregard serious things like this when they had some sort of admiration for the accused. I don't have any problem with people talking up him as a player etc., but do you not find it a bit strange having people proclaim him as the ultimate role model, given what you've(I assume) read?

entropy

There’s no hounding - just asking the question.
I hope so. Because it is very common for fans to get defensive when someone starts to question a player's legacy. You can be the most famous/talented footballer on the planet and still be a POS human being. One isn't exclusive of another.

Ban

Well, he's also good at hitting it with his head but in essence, yeah. That's what he is, that's his "thing" in this world. Why is that controversial or insulting?
It's not an insult but it's just portraying him too simplistic. Same with Kobe, if he was just a good player there wouldn't be such a huge mourning over his death.

Florida Man

Kobe himself accepted that the woman genuinely believed she had been raped, accepted that she was making the accusation without ill-motive and apologized to her for how he behaved in the incident. Though only after she had already had her reputation publicly trashed. That's a hell of a weak position for you to suggest she was "clout chasing" from, even without getting into the broader point that a woman is many multiple times more likely to be raped than they are falsely accuse someone of rape.
Sure but it still happens. I was expecting some smoking gun evidence in the article and all it provided was a he said she said story. Yet people on here are entirely convinced he’s guilty of rape. The evidence in the article is not enough to prove that.

Conor

This is an awful post.

Florida Man

I think emotions are running a bit high at the moment.
We sort of do the same with player performance threads and I ain’t never heard anyone complaining about censorship in those. Certain people are just trying to be provocative contrarians and pretending innocence when they get called out on it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We sort of do the same with player performance threads and I ain’t never heard anyone complaining about censorship in those. Certain people are just trying to be provocative contrarians and pretending innocence when they get called out on it.
Its pretty much par for the course when posting in the internet. Most people achieve group recognition through herd behavior, and those who can’t, usually find it by behaving contrary to the herd.

Conor

I’ll tell you what’s awful. Being certain someone is a rapist based off an article that doesn’t prove so. Why don’t you tell me the exact details Sherlock?
I obviously can't prove he raped her, but I think most level headed people could come to a pretty clear conclusion, once you set aside any bias. A man is x200~ more likely to be raped, than to be falsely accused of rape. <10% of rape accusations are proven to be false, and that doesn't include cases where there was no physical evidence of sexual activity. She had bruising on her neck, lacerations in her vaginal area(consistent with rape), and he initially claimed they didn't have sex.

A similar situation happened with Conor McGregor recently in Ireland, and the case magically disappeared. Seemed to be a huge correlation between being a law expert and a McGregor fan online at that time too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You missed the point. He hasnt done anything of actual good beyond be a basketball player. Sure it's kind of glib to say "put a ball into a basket" but I'm trying to drive home the point that that is his legacy. Yes he was a top 15 or 20 player all time but ultimately he was just really good at sports. He wasnt a smokejumper and he wasnt jonas salk.
I'm not defending anything because I haven't read enough on it, but you're downplaying the effect of sports, entertainment, culture, music - anything that doesn't hold much value logically, but actually makes the world somewhat bearable to be on, and possibly inspires or influences millions of people. You're downplaying it as a way of ridiculing and belittling anyone who may have been affected by his death in some small way, even if they didn't know him.

Should everyone consider the rape case and be aware of it? Probably yeah. All things considered, was it wise to drop it in like you did in a thread paying respects to someone who's clearly had a big effect on people? Almost certainly no and you only did it that way to provoke.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
All things considered, was it wise to drop it in like you did in a thread paying respects to someone who's clearly had a big effect on people? Almost certainly no and you only did it that way to provoke.
What would be the correct way?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Thought experiment: Given that both Kobe and CR7 were famously involved in widely publicized sexual assault cases - would, if god forbid something happened to Ronnie - anyone here also suggest his legacy was that he was a rapist ? Or would he instead be remembered a great footballer with a checkered personal life ?
If a person raped someone, then, at least to me, that person is a rapist first and anything else comes second. So said player would be a rapist who was good at sport.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Its pretty much par for the course when posting in the internet. Most people achieve group recognition through herd behavior, and those who can’t, usually find it by behaving contrary to the herd.
I find that a lot of people can only attribute such behaviour due to their own self-judgement on how they behave.

SirAF

Ageist
If you raped someone, then, at least to me, that person is a rapist first and anything else comes second. So said player would be a rapist who was good at sport.
Even if said player had never been proven to be a rapist?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you raped someone, then, at least to me, that person is a rapist first and anything else comes second. So said player would be a rapist who was good at sport.
A logical conclusion, but what if the case was shrouded in a degree of ambiguity - a “he said, she said”, that ultimately never resulted in a conviction. Would that change your view?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What would be the correct way?
A separate thread? Wait until the shock of someone's death who's clearly had an effect on people has waned a little? What exactly is achieved by throwing it in 5 minutes after everyone finding out him and his daughter have died?
Just to be relevant? To make everyone else realise they're pieces of shit? I can't imagine what a weird place that comes from.

Florida Man

I obviously can't prove he raped her, but I think most level headed people could come to a pretty clear conclusion, once you set aside any bias. A man is x200~ more likely to be raped, than to be falsely accused of rape. <10% of rape accusations are proven to be false, and that doesn't include cases where there was no physical evidence of sexual activity. She had bruising on her neck, lacerations in her vaginal area(consistent with rape), and he initially claimed they didn't have sex.

A similar situation happened with Conor McGregor recently in Ireland, and the case magically disappeared. Seemed to be a huge correlation between being a law expert and a McGregor fan online at that time too.
I’m aware of the stats but this woman could have been one of the <10%. And I don’t know if the numbers change when it involves high profile people as far as false accusations go. But it’s merely a point to make and not really hard evidence. With the bruise, it’s suspicious of course but that can also easily happen in consensual sex so that’s difficult to use as well. The lacerations, again another suspicious find, but that doesn’t prove rape either. And a quick search shows that vaginal lacerations are not necessarily associated with forced sex. The last point, one could chalk that up to Kobe not wanting to get caught for adultery. I’m not 100% certain of any of this but it’s enough to make me doubt. I think that’s reasonable.

SirAF

Ageist
Now, now. OJ was an extreme case - it was an absolutely slam dunk that got away due to a set of extraordinary circumstances. Not to mention that he got done in the civil trial.

Conor

I’m aware of the stats but this woman could have been one of the <10%. And I don’t know if the numbers change when it involves high profile people as far as false accusations go. But it’s merely a point to make and not really hard evidence. With the bruise, it’s suspicious of course but that can also easily happen in consensual sex so that’s difficult to use as well. The lacerations, again another suspicious find, but that doesn’t prove rape either. And a quick search shows that vaginal lacerations are not necessarily associated with forced sex. The last point, one could chalk that up to Kobe not wanting to get caught for adultery. I’m not 100% certain of any of this but it’s enough to make me doubt. I think that’s reasonable.
Fair points, but would you hold that exact opinion for someone other than your basketball idol?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Even if said player had never been proven to be a rapist?
It depends on the information available. OJ is a murderer, who happened to be good at sports. He wasn’t sentenced.
Michael Jackson was a pedophile who was good at music. He was never sentenced.
Kobe, according to everything I know, was a rapist who was good at sports.
Klaus Kinski, an actor who’s work I enjoy a lot, was a rapist who happened to be a good actor.

If I can’t be sure, I’ll just keep away from calling said person anything. But if I can be sure and those examples I gave are sure things, these people are all murderers/rapists first.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Now, now. OJ was an extreme case - it was an absolutely slam dunk that got away due to a set of extraordinary circumstances. Not to mention that he got done in the civil trial.
He weren't found guilty in a criminal court of law m'lud.

An awful lot of assumptions being attributed to people round 'ere.

Conor

A separate thread? Wait until the shock of someone's death who's clearly had an effect on people has waned a little? What exactly is achieved by throwing it in 5 minutes after everyone finding out him and his daughter have died?
Just to be relevant? To make everyone else realise they're pieces of shit? I can't imagine what a weird place that comes from.
I think it's personally think it's galling to see someone be referred to as a role model and amazing human, when something like this looms over them. Whatever about talking about his career as a player, but to suggest he was such an amazing person, I think these sorts of things should at least be mentioned?

Conor

The civil case against Bryant was settled for an undisclosed amount.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You're not being funny :smirk:
No, I don't think all of the topics pertaining to the debates surrounding this event and person to be at all funny.

Florida Man

Fair points, but would you hold that exact opinion for someone other than your basketball idol?
I wouldn’t call him my idol but he was my favorite player (am a Lakers fan) and I have respect for him for his competitiveness and work ethic. But I take your point. Of course there will be more hesitance when it involves someone you feel is special, and I probably fall into that category here. But ultimately I have to judge it based on the real facts. On the flip side, I so wanted Justice Kavanaugh to be guilty but even I had my doubts about the validity of the victim’s story. And for that, I can only say I don’t know for sure either.