Kompany leaves City | Joining Anderlecht as Player/Manager

WensleyMU

You compare Scholes, Giggs and other greats to Smalling, Jones, Young? Even Neville called it quit when he realised he cant did it anymore. :houllier:
Do show where I mentioned those players. More so how two players you mentioned being under 30 have anything to do with clubs binning club legends when they get the wrong side of 30.

Us keeping Young is beyond stupid but it has nothing to do with the claim that big clubs are ruthless. It's just a mental decision.

Ramos

I'm fairly sure he was rated as a wonderkid in his youth, was playing for Anderlecht as a 16 year old in CL and can remember Chelsea being linked.

Here is article that showed his potential at the time (2004):

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=123837.html

Must not have progressed as much as expected at Hamburg although they had a decent team in those times. Certainly an amazing deal for Man. City to sign him when they did, asked before but weren't you playing him a lot at DM in his first 12 months at the club? Then you sold Richard Dunne to us and he took over the leadership void at the back, worked out pretty well and less so for us....
He was already made of glass back then. Loads of injuries. Last season at Anderlecht he barely played.

Same at Hamburg. Almost missed his entire first season because of an injury. Also his mom died in that period and it really just didn't work there. I remember him pissing them off wanting to play the Olympics in 2008.

RochaRoja

Expected him to go into politics when he retired. He’s a very impressive man.

pascell

I know somebody that did some of the same courses as kompany as they both did their MBA part time... He speaks really highly of him in terms of intelligence and business sense ... Could see him going the sporting director route after a couple more seasons in USA ... Possibky they might even give him that type of role in their USA franchise before bringing him back to city in the future
He always comes across as intelligent when I've seen him on TV doing punditry and interviews. Good for Anderlecht getting him in as player/manager, I think he'll do well.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Mistake. But I guess he wanted to leave. At the top, as a nothing-left-to-prove veteran legend.

Hope to hell De Ligt doesn't go to City ffs. United or Barça, please.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Will miss him a lot. Always loved the guy. Great player, great captain, good man. Most Mancunian bloke I’ve ever seen not born in the city and gave us everything.

Devasatated to see him go but it’s the right time to go out on a high. Would’ve killed me to watch him slowly decline at the club.

ash_86

Finally the fecker is gone. Scores against us every single time.

Red tinted specs off - One of the best professionals in football right now and a brilliant leader. Captain material through and thorough. Big loss to city.

Raven

This makes city favourites for De Ligt I reckon. They can now give him a clear run at captaincy within a season or 2.

always_hoping

So City let a defender go that played a big role in winning them the league title while United give extended contracts to Young,Smalling,Jones.....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Notice how they didn't wait for his performances to fall off a cliff?

the hea

Good luck to him I have nothing but respect for the guy. He's one of few City player I just can't dislike, tremendous leader and from what it seems a very intelligent man. I think he has a good chance of becoming a succesful manager.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Class act, on and off the pitch.

Some end to his City career as well with that thunderbolt of a title winner against Leicester.

Can definately see him being a great manager.

Now City will get de Light and have him, Laporte and Stones for the cb position. Sigh.

stepic

Not sure why everyone is giving him any grief for the quadruple comments. Wish we had some players who spoke with that kind of ambition. Meanwhile we’re here just trying to make top 4.

Top class player and professional.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Great player for them. Title winning goal, but as a defender, a liability over the past 2 seasons.
In fact, he was becoming a dangerous player as in the half a yard he lost pushed him to tackle recklessly and endanger the opponent. He escaped a lot of reds on reputation alone.

Needham

They'll probably build a statue for him, and rightly so. He's a legend there, and certainly one of the best PL centre backs I've ever seen.
They can use this if if hasn't been thrown away.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
City now have an actual legend who was very good.

The world is changing, and I don't like it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What a signing he has been for them. I reckon he’s nailed on to return as manager at some stage too if it goes well for him.

Dyslexic Untied

Great player and a class act from what I have seen. Up there with the great defenders in the Premier League.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Great player, and the premier league will be poorer with his loss.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously it is hard to say how anyone will do as a manager but I don't think I've ever seen anyone as suited to becoming one. He's a very intelligent and well spoken guy along with being a great leader and motivator. He's also been very fortunate to work with excellent managers with various styles. He will have learnt a lot from working with Mancini and Pep. I'd struggle to think of a better grounding.

roseguy64

This nonsense line keeps getting rolled out...

United under Fergie kept players who gave everything and were fiercely loyal the same amount of loyalty.

Scholars was brought back, after retiring. Giggs, Neville are two more examples of players not just tossed aside because they ended up the wrong side of 30.

Away from United there are countless examples. Robben and Ribery at Bayern being two recent ones. Del Piero and Juventus was what, 36/37 when Juventus decided not to renew his contract. There are loads more out there.

The reality is Kompany has a terrible injury record and likely doesn't have the legs to continue. It will be as much his decision as City being "ruthless". The fact he's gone to be player manager at Anderlecht shows he's been thinking about retirement.

So no, this isn't how the big clubs do it, it's not even how City do it. It's a 33 year old with a bad injury record making a decision to prolong his career while also planning for his next step.
Wrong. Everything Man Utd does is terrible and the worst. We're the worst club ever. Get your message right.

Gopher Brown

Really odd move for him considering he’s only 33 and still capable of playing at the top.

He’ll find that he’s a good deal better than all of their players, yet he’ll feel as if he shouldn’t play himself. It would have been more logical if he’d gone to MLS or China or somewhere for 2 years then come back to Anderlecht.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Only 360 appearances - they really took good care of him. Has just the character and behaviour we are missing

Kapardin

Good luck to him. One of the more likeable City players along with David Silva.

League will miss his big head though.:p

Ainu

Have you lot seen Anderlecht play this season? They’re so far behind Genk and Brugge, Kompany won’t fix shit with them.
They'll be booing him before the end of next season as they continue to be shit. On the other hand, he may bring some much needed positivity to their camp. Then again, so did Solskjaer at United, and look at where we are now.

Andersonson

A very good footballer and seemed to be a very good captain for them. A club legend for them.

Top top player who will be missed in the dressing room. Good luck to him, always rated him very highly.