Kompany leaves City | Joining Anderlecht as Player/Manager

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Interesting gig as a player-manager at Anderlecht. Good luck to him, one of the more likeable City players.

His quadruple comment will forever be remembered though!

Loublaze

ATLien
Expected him to go into politics when he retired. He’s a very impressive man.
His father is the first black mayor in Belgium. Kompany is a very intelligent guy. He could have an excellent career in management.

DizeeGorilla20

As much as I hate City, I can't hate this man. Joined the club very early in their new phase and played a pivotal role in what they've done since. A bona fide Premier League Legend in my opinion. Not sure if a role as player/manager is a rational appointment though.

Denis79

To put it in perspective

Ashley Young will still be at United at age 34. Valencia, Vidic, and Evra weren't at United at that age.

This club is an embarrassment. The one guy who has been awful keeps lingering around.
He'll most likely be our captain aswell.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
As much as I hate City, I can't hate this man. Joined the club very early in their new phase and played a pivotal role in what they've done since. A bona fide Premier League Legend in my opinion. Not sure if a role as player/manager is a rational appointment though.
Technically, he actually joined a week or so before the Mansour takeover.

Kostov

Kompany leaving City while still being one of the best CB around the league, and we renew contracts of dross like Ashley Young.

Lebowski

This nonsense line keeps getting rolled out...

United under Fergie kept players who gave everything and were fiercely loyal the same amount of loyalty.

Scholars was brought back, after retiring. Giggs, Neville are two more examples of players not just tossed aside because they ended up the wrong side of 30.

Away from United there are countless examples. Robben and Ribery at Bayern being two recent ones. Del Piero and Juventus was what, 36/37 when Juventus decided not to renew his contract. There are loads more out there.

The reality is Kompany has a terrible injury record and likely doesn't have the legs to continue. It will be as much his decision as City being "ruthless". The fact he's gone to be player manager at Anderlecht shows he's been thinking about retirement.

So no, this isn't how the big clubs do it, it's not even how City do it. It's a 33 year old with a bad injury record making a decision to prolong his career while also planning for his next step.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think you could probably say that as well as being examples of loyalty, the decisions you reference (bringing Scholes back from retirement especially), are examples of the changing of the guard from United to City and the effects of Glazernomics on the dynamic of power.

In the year our crosstown rivals brought in Yaya Toure, David Silva, Aguero, Dzeko and Nasri, we were forced to patch up our aging squad by persuading a 38 year old Paul Scholes to come out of retirement and had to rotate Giggs, Rafael, Ferdinand and Jones in the centre of midfield at times that season.

Of course the 3-2 cup win was sweet as hell and Fergie's man management meant that he managed to wring every last bit of effort and talent out of Scholes, Giggs et al, but I think the decision was as much motivated by financial necessity as it was loyalty. I think if he had money to spend and thought that he could replace ageing players with better and hungrier youngsters, he would have done it (and in fact did do it regularly) in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

el3mel

Definitely one of the best defenders the league has seen ? I'll put him in top 5.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
City will miss him badly. When times got tricky he has bailed them out so many times. A true leader and icon.

ToToMarshall

The worst thing about Kompany was that despite playing for City for so long, he was actually so hard to hate. Quality footballer, great leader and by the sounds of things a top bloke. Prem will miss him, and (I hope) he leaves a gaping hole at City they struggle to fill.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Despite what many posts in the last few pages say about City being brutal, all the reports suggest that we were desperate to keep him, offering roles including in New York and first team coach here in Manchester, but he was insistent he wanted to take on the opportunity to manage his boyhood club. I'm absolutely gutted he's left but wish him all the very best and can't begrudge him his chance at what would appear to be a dream job for him. Hopefully it won't be too long before he's back in one role or another at city

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Pep Guardiola is my idol sacked as the manager.

fergiesarmy1

Next couple of weeks he’s got international commitments then his testimonial game, apparently some people at the club don’t think he is 100% committed at the moment.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Isn't he still player/manager though? Kind of reads like he is during the week, just that he doesn't get to decide on subs or shifts in formation etc. during a match which must be hard anyway if you're on the pitch.

Who was the old captain and is he pissed off?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can be hard for ex players to adapt. Managing totally different to being a player.

Doesn't matter how good a player they might have been or how successful. They're starting from scratch essentially and need to behave like that. Not billy big balls.

That can be why the best managers quite often have been average players. Got to have the right mentality to adapt to the new job.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The whole club is a fecking shambles right now (not that I mind since their fans are obnoxious fecks). Long may it continue.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's bizarre that he's the manager of a club team but is still playing Internationally.

stepic

they should have just signed him as a manager. player/manager roles are never going to work unless you're really stepping down a division or two.

Chipper

Adulterer.
From the article in the first tweet it looks like Craig Bellamy is doing well too. :lol:

Kompany wasn’t the only one to come in for some criticism from those closely associated with Anderlecht, as former manager Aad de Mos described current under-21s boss Craig Bellamy as completely inept as a trainer.

“I saw Bellamy at work at the Ottencup in Eindhoven,” the 72-year-old told La Derniere Heure. “He knows nothing about it. I have never seen such bad coaching in the last five years at Anderlecht’s youth side.

“There was no structure in the game. After ten minutes I already understood that he really is nothing as a trainer.”

Orestetes

I don’t hate them. Belgian football is pretty irrelevant to me, but I’m glad to see them suffer for a bit.
Fair enough. I stopped following the Belgian league after the weird play off system. I still have a softness for Anderlecht though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough. I stopped following the Belgian league after the weird play off system. I still have a softness for Anderlecht though.
United and Anderlecht, the horror ;)

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I had a feeling he wouldn't get off to a good start in Anderlecht. Hopefully he can turn it around though. Has anyone watched their games, it doesn't sound as if his individual performances have been great?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It's bizarre that he's the manager of a club team but is still playing Internationally.
That was what I thought too. Player/manager should ultimately have the club as their main focus including during international breaks, working with the players who haven't been called up and start preparing for the next game but instead he'll be with the Belgium squad.