Kompany leaves City | Joining Anderlecht as Player/Manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The difference between "manager" and "head coach" like in English football doesn't really exist in Belgium, neither in terminology nor in football.
I don't get what you are saying.

Anyways Rooney is just a coach who will be working under Manager, like we have Carrick and others.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The whole coach who's actually a manager thing is just confusing. To me the manager should be in charge of overseeing training, with coaches below him heading up different aspects.

Annoying when the manager is called a coach just because he doesn't do some stuff behind the scenes. He's still a manager.

lysglimt

Scout
Prior to Giggs getting the Wales-job - there was a debate with Bellamy. I have never heard a man spend so much time trying to convince the world he was the right man for the job! :)

The whole coach who's actually a manager thing is just confusing. To me the manager should be in charge of overseeing training, with coaches below him heading up different aspects.

Annoying when the manager is called a coach just because he doesn't do some stuff behind the scenes. He's still a manager.
Well, what you call some stuff behind the scenes is actually the management aspect of the position. Without it, you're talking strictly about a head coach.

Having someone responsible for coaching the first team (head coach) and someone for transfers/contracts and other behind the scenes tasks (sporting director) is common in Europe, while having one person (manager) responsible for both roles is common in English football. Both approaches are generally pretty clearly defined and not confusing at all. Unless the chairman/owner starts to meddle within the manager's field. What's actually confusing is having a manager and a director of football, because their roles overlap in key aspects and the general roles are not clearly defined, but vary from club to club.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well, what you call some stuff behind the scenes is actually the management aspect of the position. Without it, you're talking strictly about a head coach.

Having someone responsible for coaching the first team (head coach) and someone for transfers/contracts and other behind the scenes tasks (sporting director) is common in Europe, while having one person (manager) responsible for both roles is common in English football. Both approaches are generally pretty clearly defined and not confusing at all. Unless the chairman/owner starts to meddle within the manager's field. What's actually confusing is having a manager and a director of football, because their roles overlap in key aspects and the general roles are not clearly defined, but vary from club to club.
I know what it is. The reason it's confusing is because very often it's just called coach, to mean head coach. A head coach is still managing things/people too, at the end of the day.

Pagh Wraith

That's particular to British football though I think. In most leagues/languages the word manager refers to someone like Woodward (even if his actual title is different), never the person at the touchline. Which is called coach/trainer (or some variation of it).

Uli Hoeneß might be the most famous example of a 'manager' in German football for instance.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Everyone knows United and Royal Antwerp are the winning combo.

For no other reason than they were our feeder team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Signs twats as players and signs a knob as a coach of the u21s - is anyone really surprised he failed!??

Clearly not as intelligent as he made out with those kind of decisions. Not every player can be a Cruyff on and off the pitch.

roseguy64

Signs twats as players and signs a knob as a coach of the u21s - is anyone really surprised he failed!??

Clearly not as intelligent as he made out with those kind of decisions. Not every player can be a Cruyff on and off the pitch.
He's not failed yet

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

He's been there four games for fecks sake, give the man a chance :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's been there four games for fecks sake, give the man a chance :lol:
He signed Samir Nasri and appointed Bellamy as a U21 coach. I think it’s a safe bet there isn’t going to be an upturn in fortune with regards to this particular venture.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Found this a bit entertaining: Aad de Mos on Bellamy
De Mos, who found famed success in charge of Ajax during the early eighties before coaching Anderlecht between 1989 and 1992, has blasted the former Liverpool star's methods.

“I saw Bellamy at work at the Ottencup in Eindhoven," the 72-year-old told La Derniere Heure. "He knows nothing about it. I have never seen such bad coaching in the last five years at Anderlecht's youth side.

“There was no structure in the game. After ten minutes I already understood that he really is nothing as a trainer.”

De Mos led Anderlecht to the 1990 European Cup Winners' Cup final, where they lost to Sampdoria.
Kompany has now in 5 league games lost 3 and drawn 2, with a goal difference of -4. Pretty diabolical start. Will he turn out to be as unsuitable to management as Henry?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Apparently he's now a doubt for his own testimonial, how Anderlecht thought a lad with internationals and testimonials on his calendar would be focused enough to do a job for them as manager I do not know. Kompany's always had a reputation as a smart guy but this half arsed approach looks like it might have killed his managerial career from the start.

ExecutionerWasp001

He signed Samir Nasri and appointed Bellamy as a U21 coach. I think it’s a safe bet there isn’t going to be an upturn in fortune with regards to this particular venture.
Taking Bellamy & Nasri along for the ride was clearly career suicide & represents a lack of footballing intelligence. If he's not told Bellamy to leave the golf clubs at home then it seriously compounds the issue.

Read a recent article by a former Anderlecht player/coach. They criticized Kompany for trying to ape Guardiola's style when they clearly don't have the kind of players to play his system. It seems strange he'd try to do this when Guardiola himself has said he needs the very best players to make his system work.

Pardon the pun, but am wondering if he's got a bit big headed after the plaudits he received last season. He's maybe now of the opinion that he can do anything.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
It seems strange he'd try to do this when Guardiola himself has said he needs the very best players to make his system work.
He did OK with Barca 'B', and it's not like smaller teams don't have success with such style when implemented carefully. Agree with the Bellamy part though, and no one mentioned it really but having Simon Davies as some kind of head coach is just as weird. His City U23 was horrible. Bit like your Sbragia thingy.

Bwuk

So does the testimonial still go on as planned? Seems weird.
They aren't going to cancel it at such short notice. I'd imagine he'll make an appearance on the pitch with a mic at the end.

The United legends side are going to get slapped aren't they.

Ramos

Apparently he's now a doubt for his own testimonial, how Anderlecht thought a lad with internationals and testimonials on his calendar would be focused enough to do a job for them as manager I do not know. Kompany's always had a reputation as a smart guy but this half arsed approach looks like it might have killed his managerial career from the start.
They were in a terrible mess and desperate. The season they played United in the Europa League QF (16/17) was the last good one. Club was sold to a new clueless owner 6 months after that and from then it only went downwards. Bought pub players for very high fee's and failed to qualify for European football, the first time in 56 years.

They just bet it all on Kompany, hoping he could attract some big players without breaking the bank and bring back some much needed soul to the team. Which to some extent he has. But he truly has a mountain to climb.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's the type of move that tends to happen but never actually works. Still, I think he'll be given time. At this point they can't attract much better, and he's absolutely huge in Anderlecht/Belgium.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Lost 2-1 at home to Royal Antwerp today, 1 win in 7. They can't score goals, got 1 today but it was only their 5th of the season so far.

ROFLUTION

Wait so they're both sacking their technical director Frank Arnesen and Kompany at the same time?! :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wait so they're both sacking their technical director Frank Arnesen and Kompany at the same time?! :lol:
Arnesen was basically pushed out as soon as Kompany arrived. He didn't fit anymore and didn't do much after that.

I think Kompany conceded coaching duties to Davies a few weeks ago as well.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
So Kompany remains player-manager, but Vercauteren is now head coach. Seems like Davies is the one who has lost out here, actually. Probably for the best. Anderlecht's problems seem like they run too deep for someone without any experience to tackle, let alone while juggling that with playing duties.