Kostas Manolas

United Pro

I read he doesn't want to leave Roma mid-season. TBF they are guaranteed a Champions League quarter finals place. That said we should simply tell him now or never.
Yeah I read that as well but if he was really interested in joining us, I reckon he might have jumped ship in Jan.
no more slow centre backs.
Manolas is very quick though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't want. Liverpool exposed him and his mates when they decided to play high line in the CL. no more slow centre backs.
That was more what a car crash Fazio was as we also saw in the WC v France.

If ever a CB was ill-suited to the prem it was when Spurs signed him with some of the Bale money. :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think itd be a great signing, plus at that price if true. Reliable fitness, strong physically and in the air, plus an attacking threat from set pieces. Would instantly be our best center back, not that that is hard..

ravi2

Step 1
Contract extension for Jones

Step 2
Sell Jones for 25m, Rojo for 25m and Bailly for 30m in the summer

Step 3
Sign Manolas for 35m and Alderweireld for 25m
On what planet is anyone going to pay 25m for Jones or 30m for Rojo??

Bailly is the only one of our currently defenders that is worth substantial money in todays market.

Manolas for 35 and Toby for 25 would be fantastic business by us. I hope we are able to pull this off.

ravi2

Jones contract runs out this summer, so I would extend his contract and keep him as a squad player if we have limited transfer budget as we have other areas need addressing too.

I'd sell Rojo and Baily since we should receive about 50 million in total.

New CB
Jones
Smalling
Lindelof
Absolutely not, Jones is always injured and he isnt that great a defender. We need a real defensive clear out this summer.

Devil may care

He's quick and good in the air but he has the red mist like Bailly and Rojo, not really what we need IMO, certainly not if he's the only CB we bring in.

Dolf

I’d take him for that price. He’ll be 28 in the summer. Him and Toby and then in 4 years time hopefully Bailly and Lindelof can take over

Will Singh

I've read he's hot headed and can be abit of a Bailly at times, surly we don't need one of them and if he is better then we have why not just pay the clause now?

TehRed

Manolas now and Toby in summer would sort us out at CB for a couple of years at least. Wouldn't cost silly money either. I would hope we would do it, but you know all media talk is gonna be about mega-money bids for Koulibaly.

Ekeke

Probably not even Roma's best CB. He'd be okay, an obvious upgrade on Bailly and probably Jones. Wouldnt be a big deal as we'd probably still be starting Smalling and Lindelof

Edit - Roma have the 11th best defensive record in Serie A this season. We have the 13th best defensive record in the premier league. Thats not much of a difference and even their best CB is a sideways move

Last edited:

Ekeke

How good is he aerially?
Roma's 2nd best from a CB. Fazio wins the most in the team, Manolas wins 5th most. So would hold his own in the air but wouldnt be the best at covering for a partner who isnt also good in the air

Scholsey2004

Someone just paid us 19 million for Solanke. Just saying.
Yeah, perfect example of an outstanding youth player who isn't cutting it in the seniors. James Wilson was like that for us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Nico Schira is the only one reporting this news, then it's most likely BS. The clause isn't valid until the summer either, according to David Amoyal, who is part of the Di Marzio team.

Judas

Open to offers
Am I the only one who thinks Alderweireld legs are going and we’d regret signing him? There’s a chance he’s playing within himself because he’s thinking about leaving, but I don’t think he’s the player he was.

maverickjesus

Am I the only one who thinks Alderweireld legs are going and we’d regret signing him? There’s a chance he’s playing within himself because he’s thinking about leaving, but I don’t think he’s the player he was.
Neither Manolas or Alderweireld are going to meaningfully progress this team long term. Look at the state of our CB circus right now, its a dumping ground of inadequate players on long term contracts we can't get shut of - lets not add anymore to that list.

Gopher Brown

Step 1
Contract extension for Jones

Step 2
Sell Jones for 25m, Rojo for 25m and Bailly for 30m in the summer

Step 3
Sign Manolas for 35m and Alderweireld for 25m
While it might be the case that we could get those sorts of fees if we didn’t want to sell these players, it will be clear to any buying club that these players have reached the end of their usefulness to us, therefore as we are actively trying to sell them the fees will be much lower than that.

I expect we could get £10m for Jones at the absolute most, but only with a 1 year extension, £10m-£15m for Rojo and £15m-£20m for Bailly.

We tried to sell Darmian in the summer for £11m I think, and Inter and Juventus refused to pay that.

MadMike

He’a a pretty decent CB with bags of experience and at 27 he’s entering his prime. At that price he’s definitely worth a punt. He will be a big upgrade on Bailly, Jones and Lindelof defensively while also instantly becoming the best CB on the ball for us.

Personally I’d prefer him to Alderweireld who seems to be slowing down a bit. Manolas is also bit better in the air. Although I would happily snap both up for the combined ~60m which could mostly (if not fully) be covered by selling Rojo, Jones and Bailly. We’d be getting more quality rather than quantity, which is our pressing concern.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn’t put too much stock in this. Imagine he’s a target, but further down the line compared to the likes of Koulibaly etc.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not for me thanks. Don’t think we’re seriously interested either.

Trizy

Don't want. Liverpool exposed him and his mates when they decided to play high line in the CL. no more slow centre backs.
Since no teams really play a high line without protection & awareness it doesn't mean anything though, does it? With your logic, Kompany, Vidic, Chiellini, Bonucci, John Terry are not good enough for United?

That game vs Liverpool was the most baffling tactical display I've ever seen using a high line was basically playing to Liverpool's strength. After Liverpool scored 2 they still didn't fecking change it. I'm no tactical/managerial expert but I was raging at the T.V :lol:. I Think it's unfair to judge a CB against the fastest (one of) attacks seen in Europe when he's getting no help from his full backs or CDM while playing a suicidal high line.

The same pounding from their attack without protection happened the Caf's favorite Koulibaly in the CL. And he is quick af.

Having made my above point I actually know nothing about this dude, just defending his pace or lack of... carry on :lol:

steakpie

We should have signed him when he was at Olympiakos. He dominated RVP when we played them in the CL.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s better than jones and Rojo so there’s that.

I’d love to get Koulibaly.

Koulibaly / Lindelof / Bailly / Smalling / Manolas would be a great set.

Could move on Bailly or Smalling eventually.

AngryCroat

Can we just loan someone until the end of the season?
We need experienced cb if we want to play shaw-lindelof-new guy-dalot
All of this players we are connected to seems they could be flop just like most of our transfers lately.. .
Is Barzagli playing for Juve? :p
Can we loan him in?

Red Stone

He’a a pretty decent CB with bags of experience and at 27 he’s entering his prime. At that price he’s definitely worth a punt. He will be a big upgrade on Bailly, Jones and Lindelof defensively while also instantly becoming the best CB on the ball for us.
Absolutely not. He's miles behind Lindelöf on the ball. He probably wouldn't even be second best.