Kostas Manolas

reddaz71

Said it before, Koulibaly and Alderweireld would be a pretty tasty 1st choice CB pairing with Lindelof and Bailly 2nd string,sell the others!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The Greek Phil Jones. Not excited about this at all, hoping it's just a briefing in the press to scare Napoli into accepting.

nainaisson

I don't claim to be an expert on Manolas, but I just can't get excited about a defender for a team that conceded 7 goals to Liverpool in the Champions League. I only vaguely remember watching the two games, but I don't recall Manolas covering himself in glory.

Bola

I don't claim to be an expert on Manolas, but I just can't get excited about a defender for a team that conceded 7 goals to Liverpool in the Champions League. I only vaguely remember watching the two games, but I don't recall Manolas covering himself in glory.
Allison conceded those 7 goals as a keeper and has done very well for Liverpool.

Until a couple of blips around Xmas, he has probably been the best performing keeper in the league

Edit- just checked the teamsheets and see that Manolos started alongside Fazio in both games. I would not fancy him as my defensive partner against a direct and fast Liverpool team, particularly if playing a higher line

Hawks2008

I mean if he came he might be the 2nd or 3rd best CB at the club, so he isn't a player I see improving us.

Dolf

For 36 million euros it's a no-brainer. Even if we don't use him every match as a first XI player we will be better off replacing Rojo/Jones with Manolas.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This worries me that we are going for a really cheap option who will make sod all difference.
Well if you believe everything you read you must be impressed by some of the names we've also been linked with.

This transfer ain't happening.

Ekeke

For 36 million euros it's a no-brainer. Even if we don't use him every match as a first XI player we will be better off replacing Rojo/Jones with Manolas.
Pretty sure Jones would be burned alive by our fans if we lost 7-1 with him playing CB

Here's a vid. He's the number 44 messing up on the first goal etc

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well if you believe everything you read you must be impressed by some of the names we've also been linked with.

This transfer ain't happening.
Hope you are right. We need lifting to the next level, so really need someone from a team that is at the next level already. Napoli and Spurs are, Real for all their hiccups are. Roma are not, they are disappointing. Probably sign Harry Maguire for gazillions now.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hope you are right. We need lifting to the next level, so really need someone from a team that is at the next level already. Napoli and Spurs are, Real for all their hiccups are. Roma are not, they are disappointing. Probably sign Harry Maguire for gazillions now.
Manolas isn't the answer for us but I'd take Pellegrini from them.

Let's not forget Salah and Allison came from Roma too. It's about the player not the club.

Dolf

Pretty sure Jones would be burned alive by our fans if we lost 7-1 with him playing CB
Losing 7-1 is never the fault of just one player. And it's not exactly like Jones has never done something stupid.
If we can sell Rojo for 5-10 million then Manolas is a nice addition to have for 26 - 31 million euros.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Let's not forget Salah and Allison came from Roma too. It's about the player not the club.
Think Roma have got worse to be honest since those two left. We shall see what the club come up with.

Ekeke

Losing 7-1 is never the fault of just one player. And it's not exactly like Jones has never done something stupid.
If we can sell Rojo for 5-10 million then Manolas is a nice addition to have for 26 - 31 million euros.
Of course its not just his fault, although there were a couple he might have done better on himself.

But Jones often gets blamed for things that arent really his fault. Point is he's played better this season than Manolas has and some of the things Manolas has done this season, if he did them at United he wouldnt be rated

Trizy

Here's a vid. He's the number 44 messing up on the first goal etc

Roma love a good 7-1 hammering.

izec

Thats true, and on that basis, Manolas isnt good enough. He is already 5 years there and thats his level. Allisson and Salah showed good consistent performances at Roma and earned their moves. Salah's rise at Liverpool was unexpected, but Allisson wasnt a surprise. Buying Manolas and him improving us would be like hoping Phil Jones stay injury free for a season. It is possible, but unlikely. Not convinced he would improve our first eleven.

Juan King Dead

Impossible to compare him to top CBs of the late years like Godin, Thiago Silva or even others like his co-patriot, Sokratis. As for these two Greeks I have watched them since they were teens. Sokratis is by far the better dribbler and passer, the better overall footballer while Manolas is the better athlete, more passionate but also a typical ball-watcher who can be confused and destroy the offside trap. Positioning and space awareness are not his strengths. Man marking, strong tackling and heading are his best attributes.

We should never look to buy a player like him again, especially if we are to play possession football.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actuall think he'd do well in the prem, he's better than Sokratis anyway.

jesperjaap

Agree with the general feeling here, bang average, we have signed far too many of those in defence for years, no thanks

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Has European experience, leadership, of a good age, decent in the air, great price

but sadly just not good enough for where we wanna be.

The time has come to cough up the money for Koulibaly/Skriniar/Varane/Romagnoli/de Ligt/Maguire

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We have no business buying any player that doesn't improve our first team.

NoPace

Roma fans seem to really rate him (along with Under and Zaniolo and nobody else, they're a mess right now) and if we think of an older CB for that amount of money as a 3 year transfer, we would be getting him for his age 28-30 seasons, rather than 30.5-33.5 if we went with Alderweild, so there's a case for it.

He looks solid but not special when I've seen him, but we're not going to sign the absolute minimum 5 players (assuming Herrera is gone) we probably need (RW, CM1, CM2, RB, CB) while spending like 400M, I don't think.

We're not going to sign all of Sancho, Rodri, one of the young Lyon CMs, Wan-Bissaka and De Ligt, and probably none of those players save maybe Sancho and Wan-Bissaka would want to sign for us (maybe a Lyon CM too).

So, even best case scenario and we wrap up Sancho and Wan-Bissaka, that's probably around 150M and we're probably going to be looking in the 30-40M range more than the nailed on more expensive types, I would guess.

The question is if what question mark are we best off with. Manolas, Alderweild with his age, Umtiti with his injuries, Maguire with his lapses in form and concentration...

A better run club would be able to suss out which of the youngsters like Tah, Elvedi, Konate, N'Dicka, Stark or Upamecano from the Bundesliga is worth spending 40M on, but I don't see us having that sort of intelligence.

Dolf

We have no business buying any player that doesn't improve our first team.
That makes no sense at all.
If you want to compete for trophies then you need depth in your squad. Look at city’s bench then look at ours.