Kristoffer Ajer - attracting premier league interest

Zlatattack

Norwegian CB, 23 , players for Celtic, only 1 year left on his contract. Reports suggest that Newcastle are interested in signing him and he's also attracting interest from Norwich.

There was speculation a couple of years ago linking us with him (as there seems to be with any Norwegian who can kick a ball atm). Anyone know anything about him? Could he be the next VVD? Should we swoop in early?

Deery

Dreary
Never struck me as being anywhere near as good as Virgil, but he seems a decent defender when I have watched him.

Eriku

Been a while since he’s impressed me, but he’s young, calm, physically imposing, and I wouldn’t mind us taking a punt.

Ole seems averse to signing Norwegian players though. He brought in Berget, Dæhli, and Eikrem to Cardiff, and apart from a few sparks from Dæhli, none of them did well and became a rod for his own back in the press.

Andre Kagawa

He's a converted CM and very good on the ball but rather suspect defensively.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Who else has come down recently(ish) and done well?

James Mc Carthy was ok back in the day, wanyama, Liam Miller, Tierney and VVD? Not too bad to be fair but VVD is majorly bringing the average way up and he always looked a sure thing.

The most obvious thing to do is let a lower pl club get him for a season or two and see how he adapts.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He's a converted CM and very good on the ball but rather suspect defensively.
I've watched him a few times & thought he was very good defensively He's good in the air & a pretty good tackler. He is very good with the ball at his feet as well. Hard to judge how he would do in the Premier though as Scottish football is not very good.

Deery

Dreary

James Mc Carthy was ok back in the day, wanyama, Liam Miller, Tierney and VVD? Not too bad to be fair but VVD is majorly bringing the average way up and he always looked a sure thing.

The most obvious thing to do is let a lower pl club get him for a season or two and see how he adapts.
John Mc Ginn, Andy Robertson, Ryan Frazer...

Jezpeza

He’s a typical fifa player that transfer muppets like to talk about. On a video game he’s a cheap signing who gets really good and you can always restart the match.

in reality, hes an absolute nothing who would probably struggle in a championship side.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's vastly overrated. Will do well to become a decent CB in the PL, never mind coming anywhere close to VVD.

I don't even think CB is his best position. Very erratic and often out of position.

Oranges038

Barry Ferguson.........

Deery

Dreary
Vincent Kompany was also a favourite for computer game heads, just saying.

Dve

He's vastly overrated. Will do well to become a decent CB in the PL, never mind coming anywhere close to VVD.

I don't even think CB is his best position. Very erratic and often out of position.
I don´t know if overrated is the right word, as I havn´t heard that much fuzz about him, to be honest.

He actually had a good season at Celtic, and also VVD had to move away from Scotland to fulfill his potential. But I would actually consider converting Ajer back to DM, which was his original position. He is good at bringing the ball up through press lines, and that´s a bit of what we are missing from McTominay and Matic, although McTominay is still improving in that respect.

But is Ajer good enough for United right now? No, I don´t think so, but I still believe there´s a player in there.

stu_1992

We're stretching the word recently(ish) with some of these names. :lol:

Holters

Ajer isn't even close to being good enough. He's atrocious for the Norwegian national team as well.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
He actually had a good season at Celtic
Not true at all. Hes been pretty poor and part of a Celtic defence slated defensively this season.

Lennon even had a go at his teams defending regularly.

Soneone said hes good in the air? Obviously don't watch him, even know hes tall hes weak in the air.

Good with the ball at his feet and going forward but not great defensively. Can see he was a midfielder tbh.

Dve

Not true at all. Hes been pretty poor and part of a Celtic defence slated defensively this season.

Lennon even had a go at his teams defending regularly.

Soneone said hes good in the air? Obviously don't watch him, even know hes tall hes weak in the air.

Good with the ball at his feet and going forward but not great defensively. Can see he was a midfielder tbh.
Conceding an average of 0.7 goals per game is not that bad. Ajer has been first name on the sheet all season, and he´s also been played as a RB in many games. Celtic´s defensive struggles has not been down to him.

Dve

Ajer isn't even close to being good enough. He's atrocious for the Norwegian national team as well.
Not "as well", but especially, rather. He´s pretty highly rated by the Celtic fans.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Conceding an average of 0.7 goals per game is not that bad. Ajer has been first name on the sheet all season, and he´s also been played as a RB in many games. Celtic´s defensive struggles has not been down to him.
Conceding an average of 0.7 goals per game when you're playing for 1 of the only 2 team in the league that's actually not shit sounds rather rubbish.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's decent enough. Good on the ball, can carry it forward well, okay in the air, fairly quick. Certainly the best part of a shoddy Celtic defence this season. I don't think he comes out completely unscathed though and, as much as the management were at fault, there was clearly a lack of organisation (often at set-pieces) and leadership that top players could have mostly sorted out for themselves. Not sure he'd offer you anything you're not getting from Lindelof. Newcastle sounds about right. Or anyone around that level playing a back 3 because he's looked most natural as the right-sided CB of a three.

Polar

hes an absolute nothing who would probably struggle in a championship side.
Calm down. Seems like you are gearing yourself up. Don’t forget Ajer just turned 23y. VVD was one year older when he went to Southampton.

Ajer’s standing in Celtic is very good, also among fans. It was also rumours Rodgers wanted to bring him to Leicester last year, and Milan has also been interested for a while. So It doesn’t make sense to say “[Ajer] would probably struggle in a championship side”

A move to a low/mid table club in PL is the perfect next step for Ajer. Newcastle allegedly prepares a £8-10m bid. If Celtic accepts that offer, Ajer is a low-risk project; a no-brainer.

I will not be surprised if Ajer succeed in example Newcastle and is able to make another step before he’s 27y.

Polar

Never watch Celtic, so only basing my opinion on what he is showing for the national team : not remotely close to United level.
Agree. He isn’t ready for United. He have to take one more step in order to prove himself.

According to what I expect from a United CB, I think his chance to reach United level is pretty thin, but if Lindelof represents the United standard I have to say 50%:D (based on what Lindelof shows both for the national team and United). Actually I can’t see which qualities Lindelof have which Ajer doesn’t have.

Dve

He's decent enough. Good on the ball, can carry it forward well, okay in the air, fairly quick. Certainly the best part of a shoddy Celtic defence this season. I don't think he comes out completely unscathed though and, as much as the management were at fault, there was clearly a lack of organisation (often at set-pieces) and leadership that top players could have mostly sorted out for themselves. Not sure he'd offer you anything you're not getting from Lindelof. Newcastle sounds about right. Or anyone around that level playing a back 3 because he's looked most natural as the right-sided CB of a three.
I think you got that spot on.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Absolutely shat it at the Morelos goal today.

Looks good on the ball, but defensively hes suspect, today just further proved that analysis.