Kroos "the deal was all but done"

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
David Moyes was incompetent on the pitch but he had good measure of this team and what was needed. Maybe he really believed he will get 6 years to rebuild and stabilize the team.

He laid lot of ground work from Kroos, wanted to address right wing position with Bale. When RVP had awesome season, Moyes wanted to sign Cavani. At that time it looked insane decision but the reason was he wanted pace upfront and it was right decision.

sp_107

We missed Hazard because we didn't want to pay his agent around additional 3M fees and we didn't sign Kroos because of LVG.

Imagine if we had those 2 at the club same time along with RVP for few years ?

sp_107

David Moyes was incompetent on the pitch but he had good measure of this team and what was needed. Maybe he really believed he will get 6 years to rebuild and stabilize the team.

He laid lot of ground work from Kroos, wanted to address right wing position with Bale. When RVP had awesome season, Moyes wanted to sign Cavani. At that time it looked insane decision but the reason was he wanted pace upfront and it was right decision.
Agreed, With those signings we could be a better off with any manager after Moyes if he failed after signing them.

LVG and Jose signings didn't really put in good shape and their style too for sure.
Not signing an young forward thinking manager cost us a lot in last 7 years.

Cloud7

Turned down Toni Kroos for the schmidfield that never was.

DoomSlayer

And the depressing part of all this is that this problem still exists, after all these years of failure, Woodward still holds the role of DoF.
This is why I say, while Woodward is at the club, we won't win another league title.
Absolutely, it's the truth.

We either need to find the new Sir Alex, or have a competent footballing board, setting the right direction and a director of football to control it all. We will never become successful again if we continue operating the same way we have.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I saw him at Manchester airport train station in around April 2014, so knew this often-discredited rumour was true.

Maybe they should have let Moyes build his own team, rather than be pushed out because the past-it old guard with medals were offended by him telling them how he wanted them to play; not saying he would have succeeded, but his replacement would have inherited a better platform upon which to win.

hobbers

As big a miss as Kroos was it was still better off getting rid of Moyes.

Moyes wouldn't know what to do with Kroos and Cavani, just as he wouldn't have known what to do with Thiago, Fabregas or Bale.

We just replaced him with a guy at the wrong end of his career.

fezzerUTD

Confirms earlier reports, now Kroos was the type of quality player we could've really benefitted from.

If we're talking about missed opportunities though, for me it gets even more bizarre if you realize that first we had a Dutch manager. He didn't bring in guys like Wijnaldum or De Vrij in despite just having worked with them very sucessfully, and he completely failed to recognize Van Dijk's talent, two of them ending up being very succesful for Liverpool out of all clubs. Instead he brings in guys like Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Memphis.

Then we have a Portugese manager but we somehow don't get a truly unique talent like Bernardo Silva who goes to our bitter rivals. Neither do we get Cristiano Ronaldo back despite the Mendes connection and his history at this club, for some reason however we do get Lukaku and fecking Lindelöf.

Now we have a Norwegian manager but of course we didn't get Haaland...
What are you going on about?

youngrell

Always seemed a bizarre decision when you consider the type of player Kroos is and the type of football LvG wanted to play.

But as they worked together previously, there may have been a bad history.

crossy1686

career ending
The issue was not getting rid of Moyes, but hiring him in the first place. Kroos should have been a club target, and not manager. That just shows you how badly run we are. There was no progress to be made with Moyes
Agree completely with this. We had a plan to give him years to force his own stamp on the club and then changed our mind about 6 months in. Problem was that Moyes was never fit to manage the club in the first place

Sylar

LVG was just strange and kept changing things hoping for luck. And the funny thing is we all expected something close to the Holland team type of 433 when he came in. But bizarrely he went with 352/532 to begin with. And then changed to a diamond when we got DiMaria and then just abandoned that after a few games (that Leicester collapse).And he lucked into the 433 after DiMarias sending off in the cup match, and that 433 with Carrick ,herrera fellaini worked (Until Carrick got injured against City). Then he just abandoned that again the next season going for a 4231 once he got Basty).

Everything he did just seemed to be hoping for the best (eg taking of Mata in the CL game when he was our best player and throwing on a half fit Nick powell, who then got hurt and had to drop back).

The one consistent thing he did was 'my captain must play' and it happened to be somebody on a downward turn. We saw at one time RVP and Rooney in midfield lumping the ball towards Fellaini who played up top. I have no doubt Kroos would have been misused by LVG despite him being perfect for the possession type he had (although Kroos probably would have been dropped for trying a forward pass)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
fully agreed. no noises of this happening though (if we are honest ole won't last another year so movement should really be in place now). no real signs from the fan base that they think this is a priority either, they prefer sacking ole as some kind of punishment because of results that are 'unacceptable' rather than making the best plan for the club
Ole is out of depth. He should thank his gods that Spurs has its share of problems + Chelsea and Arsenal have appointed rookies as we did else we would be in trouble. Having him replaced is important however getting the right guy is crucial. Allegri is a defensive manager. He's a far better manager then many in here portray him to be and its something Juventus fans are now noticing. However I doubt his tactics will work in the EPL mainly because football in England is becoming far more defensive then the Serie A is. Pocchettino on the other hand love a narrow type of football. His 4-2-3-1 focus on Eriksen/Sissoko type of players on the flanks, attacking wingbacks providing width and a big guy upfront. That means no Jadon Sancho, no Shaw, no AWB while Greenwood, Martial & Rashford might struggle as well.

TRUERED89

I saw him at Manchester airport train station in around April 2014, so knew this often-discredited rumour was true.

Maybe they should have let Moyes build his own team, rather than be pushed out because the past-it old guard with medals were offended by him telling them how he wanted them to play; not saying he would have succeeded, but his replacement would have inherited a better platform upon which to win.
When you tell legendary CB's to watch videos of Phil Jagielka, you can sort of see why they got rubbed totally the wrong way :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Shows how badly we need a DOF. Someone who has a clear vision for the team and the club.
As long as that person has the right ideas and the ability to implement them. Always amazes me how people look at a DOF position as though it cant possibly fail. It's arguably a bigger risk than hiring a manager is.

Gasolin

Absolutely, it's the truth.

We either need to find the new Sir Alex, or have a competent footballing board, setting the right direction and a director of football to control it all. We will never become successful again if we continue operating the same way we have.
There are some strange rumors that Ole is in fact now in charge of the transfers so... who knows. Maybe things are changing at United.

ReallyUSA

This is sad when you consider that the team was not far from challenging Chelsea despite a depressing start in LvG's first season if Carrick had stayed healthy in midfield. Then he compounded the problem by spending on a has been Schweinsteiger and a never been Schneiderlin.
Morgan was a solid player at Southampton. Hindsight isn't in his favor.

Irrational.

Something something foundations.

fecking cretin LVG.
The nob had no idea what he was doing, with his irrational fixation with a left and right footed CB, Phil Jones on corners, my captain musht always play, it's a process and his pointless possession football. His arrogance was also much higher than his managerial ability.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
There are some strange rumors that Ole is in fact now in charge of the transfers so... who knows. Maybe things are changing at United.
I have zero doubt about Ole's qualifications and ability to recruit. The only thing that may hold Ole back is the players he wants, wanting to come and play for him. Otherwise his signings have all been Sir Alex esq. Daniel James is straight out of the Sir Alex playbook. Young, pacey, tricky winger who's hungry to do well. Not some 21 year old pre madonna bullshit rolling up to training in his Bentley with gold fecking chains like Memphis.

There's an old saying, hard work beats talent when talent stops working.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Liverpool have a sporting director,in Edwards.

Tixi and Pep are like a manager and assistant in terms of the way they work. No players there gets signed without pep wanting it too.

The term 'DOF' doesnt really say much. What each 'DOF' do vary alot from club to club. The structure in Dortmund is way off the one Man City have.
The other day I posted two articles about that Liverpool guy Edwards. One was from 2016 calling him crap and blaming him for everything wrong with Liverpool, and the other from a few weeks ago calling him a genius.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
LVG signings were shite. But I don't think this was LVG's decision not to sign Kroos. Well, the article didn't say LVG cancelled the deal, the article only mentioned that United stop the negotiation once Moyes was sacked while LVG would like to take his time to think what he needs to do for his project.

It's either Ed is in fault for cancelling the transfer before asking LVG or LVG did say no on Kroos. I think the first one is more believable, I just don't know why a man with philosophy of possession football like LVG thinks that Kroos is not the right signing.

Either way, let's move on.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
feck you, Louis.

Let no one ever say he was good for us again.
this! He was totally mental!He might strike it lucky with the tony m signing over time but the rest of his signings flopped apart from Romero? Or was that José? Can’t be bothered checking. So many bad signings and the absolute worst football I’ve ever seen (bar Liverpool away and a few other surprisingly good games) we didn’t seem to want to sign players that wanted to be here either. Di Maria, Pogba continues that trend onto Ed to be fair....

How long has ddg wanted to leave. He’d all but left in his mind. Of course he’s gonna have a dip. It would be a lot rosier in the garden if we started competing for stuff again and for once I think we aren’t that far away but we need to keep bringing in Fred and Bruno level talent. It’s about margins, systems and who’s got the best recruitment now. We look we might improve soon fingers crossed.

edit: ffs! Kroos! What a player. If we’d got him, Tiago or Vidal post Fergie it would have kept us going a lot better. They broke me as a muppet. Even Cesc. Bale? Imagine him injury free in the PL bossing it. It would have been cool to see. He’s currently in Sánchez mode. Great contract and nothing left to fight for or prove. Stay a mile away. Money. Golf.Wales. Whatever club he plays for. Be another Di Maria... argh this could be the kush but with players like Bruno and pogba a bale loan signing looks more exciting and intimidating? anyone? As long as we sign sancho or chiesa too. Sick

Last edited:

Member 113277

Morgan was solid at Soton - I was surprised how it never worked at all for him at Utd - it was like watching a different player.

thepolice123

LVG sold Kroos from Bayern, so it's not crazy he didn't want to buy him.

What is crazy though is that he was the perfect player for his possession based tactics. The fact we didn't go ahead with the deal really does haunt us even to this day.

Imagine a midfield of Kroos, Pogba and Fernandes right now?
Struggling to wrap my head around this statement. An absolute mindfeckery.

Probably did well blocking imposter Kroos' move to us.

stevoc

This report actually vindicates Moyes more than it damns Van Gaal. There is nothing wrong with a new manager wanting to bring in his own players, maybe he thought he was too similar to Carrick, and instead bought a more defensive minded one, as well as an attacking one.

Moyes had some sort of vision, he just wasn't able to build it thanks to a shambolic first post SAF transfer window, where Woody was laughed around Europe without Fergie's name to back him up. Had we given him some more time and another proper summer window, then sack him if the wasn't getting the results, Klopp would've been available.
A shambolic transfer window that was largely down to Moyes to be fair. Woody can take blame too but Moyes like Van Gaal after him was deciding which targets to pursue, or in Moyes case dithering and being indecisive on which targets to pursue.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing at the time though it was 100% the right move to sack Moyes. It should have happened earlier if anything and nothing Moyes has done since where he's been found out at 3 different clubs, would give us any indication that with more time things would have improved. We would have most likely just got even worse.

The failure wasn't in sacking Moyes it was in giving Van Gaal too much power over transfers.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
What's a could have been XI we could have had....Kroos, Fabregas, Ronaldinho, Shearer, Hazard, Mikel, Robben .....

RoyH1

Struggling to wrap my head around this statement. An absolute mindfeckery.

Probably did well blocking imposter Kroos' move to us.
I've just seen the film "Kroos" on Amazon and it's made quite evident there that Bayern's brass was simply not all in on Kroos. Neither Rummenigge or Hoeness seemed to think that he was worth the amount of money he wanted at the time and he refused to sign a new contract. So they sold him (which they regret now). So it's a stretch to say it's all on Van Gaal.