Kroos "the deal was all but done"

thepolice123

I've just seen the film "Kroos" on Amazon and it's made quite evident there that Bayern's brass was simply not all in on Kroos. Neither Rummenigge or Hoeness seemed to think that he was worth the amount of money he wanted at the time and he refused to sign a new contract. So they sold him (which they regret now). So it's a stretch to say it's all on Van Gaal.
My point the sentence completely makes zero sense.

LVG wasn't even the manager of Bayern when Kroos got sold.

And assuming if he did somehow sold Kroos to Real while being the NT manager, he switched jobs, came here and blocked Kroos' move to us...from Bayern? It's like trying to buy the man who wasn't there.

Bizzare!

cyril C

I don't know how this thread can survive so long. Kroos, like thousand of other players, was simply leveraging on Utd to get a better deal (with RM). We are talking about RM, not Valencia or Lyon. There are 111 players associated with Utd at the moment, I doubt 10% of these names are anywhere near truth.

ricky-romeo

David Moyes was incompetent on the pitch but he had good measure of this team and what was needed. Maybe he really believed he will get 6 years to rebuild and stabilize the team.

He laid lot of ground work from Kroos, wanted to address right wing position with Bale. When RVP had awesome season, Moyes wanted to sign Cavani. At that time it looked insane decision but the reason was he wanted pace upfront and it was right decision.
He surely knows he need quality players to come and the likes of Kroos, Fabregas and Bale would have been brilliant had they really join us.

But only Fellaini wanted to join United with him in charge at that time. The thing is that the job was to big for him. And to drop from 1st to 7th is too criminal.

Had he scrapped 4th he would have gotten a second season and maybe a few more good signings to build his team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He surely knows he need quality players to come and the likes of Kroos, Fabregas and Bale would have been brilliant had they really join us.

But only Fellaini wanted to join United with him in charge at that time. The thing is that the job was to big for him. And to drop from 1st to 7th is too criminal.

Had he scrapped 4th he would have gotten a second season and maybe a few more good signings to build his team.
That we don't know. Bale was easy decision for him to reject us as it was Madrid. Kroos going by his interview would have joined us and when we were dealing with him, we were in 6th or 7th position.

Problem with Moyes when it comes to transfers was he took lot of time assess the transfers going by the reports. Maybe he really believed he will get 6 years.

Stadjer

I said all along we should have given David Moyes more time ....

Never been overly impressed with Kroos myself, always thought he must have been a raving superstar in the matches I didn't see him play to get the reputation he did/has.
If Kroos doesnt impress you... who does? He was and still is a fantastic footballer.

thepolice123

No evidence that Kroos would have succeed with us. What he has achieved at Real has zero bearing how he would turn out for us.

In fact, Ancelotti’s inability to fit Kroos in the Real Madrid team was one of the reasons why he got sacked. Even Zidane, struggled with the Modric, Kroos and James midfield until he eventually stumbled upon Casemiro. Just check the La Liga 14/15 thread.

LVG probably didn’t want him because his idea was to play Di Maria and Schweinsteiger in midfield together Carrick at the base.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If Kroos doesnt impress you... who does? He was and still is a fantastic footballer.
Ozil, Gundogan, Muller, Howedes, Goetze, Hummels, even Schurre all impressed me more than Kroos when I started paying attention to the new kids on the block in Germany circa 2010, he's obviously a bloody good player to achieve what he has, but i've never once watched him then or since and thought I wish United could sign him, and I think if it hadn't been for injuries Gundogan would have been a better midfield player from that group alone, and one i'd have loved to have seen at United, before he moved to City obviously.

But as i've said he previously he probably saved his world class performance for when I decided to watch Coronation Street instead.

Siorac

No evidence that Kroos would have succeed with us. What he has achieved at Real has zero bearing how he would turn out for us.

In fact, Ancelotti’s inability to fit Kroos in the Real Madrid team was one of the reasons why he got sacked. Even Zidane, struggled with the Modric, Kroos and James midfield until he eventually stumbled upon Casemiro. Just check the La Liga 14/15 thread.

LVG probably didn’t want him because his idea was to play Di Maria and Schweinsteiger in midfield together Carrick at the base.
Considering Schweinsteiger didn't arrive until 2015 anyway and that he and Kroos played together very well for Germany and Bayern before, that would have been a stupid plan.

Kroos was clearly a far superior player to any of our central midfielders and it was a mistake to not get him. There's little point to crying about it now but we can acknowledge that yes, it is another symptom of how poorly run we are, and how dangerous it is to leave recruitment fully up to the manager.

croadyman

Still beggars belief that LVG couldn't have put aside his feelings for Kroos and let this deal happen. I really hate when this nearly transfer story rears it's ugly head all over again

Maybe moyes should have told the board look I have secured Toni for the summer even without champions league football,I get the distinct impression that never happened at all.

Probably the most gutting thing is that if we appointed a more modern thinking manager that summer he still signs even with Moyes getting sacked.

Last edited:

ants7

I have to say that I am bit baffled that so many here seem to be rather relieved that Kroos never joined us... :/ To each their own.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
As others have pointed out, Van Gaal had nothing to do with the departure of Kroos. He was fired in 2011, Kroos was sold in 2014. At Bayern, it's also the management that ultimately decides on sales, not the head coach.

As far as I remember, Van Gaal was very positive about Kroos. He first tried him out in a more offensive role, but then decided to install him as van Bommel's successor in CM. Kroos got injured and LvG was sacked before the end of the season, so that wasn't for long anyway. (And not a good idea either in that midfield two, imo.)

Kroos' later departure was mainly because of quite severe disagreements between him and Rummenigge/Hoeneß about his quality, status, and salary.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
LVG signings were shite. But I don't think this was LVG's decision not to sign Kroos. Well, the article didn't say LVG cancelled the deal, the article only mentioned that United stop the negotiation once Moyes was sacked while LVG would like to take his time to think what he needs to do for his project.

It's either Ed is in fault for cancelling the transfer before asking LVG or LVG did say no on Kroos. I think the first one is more believable, I just don't know why a man with philosophy of possession football like LVG thinks that Kroos is not the right signing.

Either way, let's move on.
We stopped because LvG didn't want him. That much is evident when you look at the Herrera signing which had been worked on long before LvG but only needed his approval after he signed on as manager.

David Moyes had come to see me and the contract had basically been done but then Moyes was fired and Louis van Gaal came in, which complicated matters. Louis wanted time to build his own project. I didn’t hear anything from United for a while and started having doubts. Then the World Cup started and Carlo Ancelotti called. And that was it.
The World Cup started June 12th. Herrera signed for us June 26th.

thepolice123

Considering Schweinsteiger didn't arrive until 2015 anyway and that he and Kroos played together very well for Germany and Bayern before, that would have been a stupid plan.

Kroos was clearly a far superior player to any of our central midfielders and it was a mistake to not get him. There's little point to crying about it now but we can acknowledge that yes, it is another symptom of how poorly run we are, and how dangerous it is to leave recruitment fully up to the manager.
Obviously Kroos is far superior but I seriously doubt our ex-managers would know how to use him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't know how this thread can survive so long. Kroos, like thousand of other players, was simply leveraging on Utd to get a better deal (with RM). We are talking about RM, not Valencia or Lyon. There are 111 players associated with Utd at the moment, I doubt 10% of these names are anywhere near truth.
Aye. So, Kroos coming out with this now is simply leveraging to get a better deal with Madrid that happened 6 years earlier? You cracked it.

manutddjw

To play devils advocate on the DOF argument being made. So what happens if the DOF signs Kroos which LVG specifically said he doesn’t want? We have a talented player on big money who sits on the bench for the next 2 years. LvG was a different animal. If he got it in his head he doesn’t like you, you couldn’t even fight for a place.

cyril C

Aye. So, Kroos coming out with this now is simply leveraging to get a better deal with Madrid that happened 6 years earlier? You cracked it.
Can be interpreted in 2 ways. obviously Kroos is looking for a new deal, so whatever helps. There is talks about RM may be willing to swap him (and/or others) for Pogba, so posting this make him look better than a pawn. If RM offload him to PSG then I am sure there will be another appropriate story somewhere...

sp_107

Worth bringing him here for his last 3/4 years? He can do Pirlo for us.very well looked after himself and not many injuries, his game never bank on speed and his positioning awareness is too good.

I wish we get him or Thiago for 2/3 season least.

frookydinho

Worth bringing him here for his last 3/4 years? He can do Pirlo for us.very well looked after himself and not many injuries, his game never bank on speed and his positioning awareness is too good.

I wish we get him or Thiago for 2/3 season least.
The thing is, he is absolutely class. But hes better when he has a holding midfielder with him, a Casimero or a Valverde. We need a holding midfielder. Kroos will be competing with Pogba/Bruno. Right now we need players to compliment them and also young squad players to rotate with them

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only way it would work is it we lost pogba. They’re too similar and play the same position.

RC89

Still beggars belief that LVG couldn't have put aside his feelings for Kroos and let this deal happen. I really hate when this nearly transfer story rears it's ugly head all over again

Maybe moyes should have told the board look I have secured Toni for the summer even without champions league football,I get the distinct impression that never happened at all.

Probably the most gutting thing is that if we appointed a more modern thinking manager that summer he still signs even with Moyes getting sacked.
What's this?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Giving Van Gaal an open checkbook was like giving matches to a child. The man was so far out of touch with the modern club game, that you'd swear you were watching archived footage of a club football game from North Korea from the 1950's.
The Caf. This post reminds me that I should never, ever, laugh at RAWK

Champagne Football

Jokes on you mate if you think Van Gsal has done anything of note in the club game in the past 10 years. And winning a title at Bayern is like winning a title with PSG. It doesn't count for much, and he was chased out of Bayern by an angry mob in the end for his awful style of football.

Jackal981

Tbf can you deny that statement ? Our football was shite. He had terrible transfer records too prior United stint if you bother to check.

Bondi77

So Moyes had Kroos, Herrera and Shaw lined up and then LVG brought in his own sh1t show