Krul Intentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So there is a rumour [likely spurious but what the hell] that Arsenal are considering a £10m bid for Newcastle's Tim Krul, a fine pretext to put a few questions to you learned people. ;)

Firstly, how highly do you rate Tim Krul? Do you think he can regain his form of 11/12 and even surpass it?

Similarly how do you view Szczęsny and the ups and downs of his career to date?

Thirdly and most perhaps importantly, would the signing of Krul be a good one for Arsenal?

It goes without saying IMO that a bid of 10m wouldn't cut the mustard here.

JmRssll555

Pardrew is going to go off his head if Arsenal unsettle another of his players.

Krul is a decent goalkeeper, but I'm not sure he's good enough for Arsenal.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
One if my favourite films as a teenager :drool:

£10m seems a bit much for him, though I suppose he has many years in him and probably low wages. I'm not sure how big an improvement he would be over Szczesny tbh; not that big a step-up IMO.

Someone

Something
Kudos for the thread title.

There's no way newcastle would let both cabaye and krul go, both would be good signings for arsenal.

Donut

Why not get a Begovic, who is much more of a sure thing?

Aint gota Kalou

I wouldn't spend 10m on him. I actually still think Chesney has it in him to be long term number 1 and he just needs a more experienced keeper to push him. I don't think signing another fairly young keeper is the way to go.

alastair

ignorant
I'd be very keen on getting Begovic and just making them compete properly for number one.

I love Szczesny but his form tends to worsen when he feels completely certain in his place.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'd be very keen on getting Begovic and just making them compete properly for number one.

I love Szczesny but his form tends to worsen when he feels completely certain in his place.

If you get Begovic, then Chesney's days would be numbered. Begovic is one of the very best in the league.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Krul is a very good goalie but I'd have thought Arsenal would have bigger problems to solve.

And as for players having their heads turned....FFS! Get on and play, you nancy boys!

alastair

ignorant
If you get Begovic, then Chesney's days would be numbered. Begovic is one of the very best in the league.

I used to basically think Mignolet and Begovic were of the same standard, but it's becoming clear that the latter is really going to be top class. It does appear as well as if Stoke are confused to why he's not being asked for, given they signed a replacement in anticipation of his departure.

One thing I did hear from Bob Wilson(great Arsenal keeper back in the day if you didn't know) at some Q&A session was that Begovic is supposedly 'mentally weak.' Maybe that's the reason.

Count Orduck

I'm shocked no one's signed Begovic, given that both Arsenal and City could do with a new 'keeper. Also, why the hell did Liverpool sign Mignolet and not Begovic? Madness.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Wenger persisted with Lolmunia for seasons, what makes you think he's going to give in on Szczesny when he's a far better talent?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I used to basically think Mignolet and Begovic were of the same standard, but it's becoming clear that the latter is really going to be top class. It does appear as well as if Stoke are confused to why he's not being asked for, given they signed a replacement in anticipation of his departure.

One thing I did hear from Bob Wilson(great Arsenal keeper back in the day if you didn't know) at some Q&A session was that Begovic is supposedly 'mentally weak.' Maybe that's the reason.

That's always the concern. There's plenty of talented 'keepers knocking around who couldn't cut it at the very top. Foster and Howard are two from United.

Chesney is prone to dropping a bollock, but I happen to think he's good enough to hold the number 1 spot for you lot.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Begovic has only just turned 26 - he would seem an obvious choice for Arsenal. Not sure Krul is what they need.

Brightonian

I like Szczesny. He's still very young - I think he'll grow out of the errors and fulfil his prodigious potential.

That'sHernandez

I like Szczesny. He's still very young - I think he'll grow out of the errors and fulfil his prodigious potential.
I think so too, he seems very level headed and he generally pulls out the stops when he has to. He's not helped by the shambolic defence in front of him.

alastair

ignorant
The second best defence in the league last season. I'm not having a dig, but I just want to make it clear that generally our defence isn't that horrendous.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The second best defence in the league last season. I'm not having a dig, but I just want to make it clear that generally our defence isn't that horrendous.
It's a weird one. You don't actually concede all that many goals, but your defence appears calamitous.

That'sHernandez

It's not exactly consistent though, is it? By way of the players in it, I mean. I'm happy to concede, that is largely down to injury and cannot be helped but I think Szczesny would do a lot better if he had some continuity with the same centreback partnership in front of him.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

If you look at the GA tallies in general, it was a bad year for defences.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't think Krul is all that better than Chesney. Arsenal should go for Begovic

x42bn6

It would be a sideways move at best.

It is a dilemma, though - you have a talented young goalkeeper who needs competition. Personally, I think Szczęsny could still come good - the main problem is that he hasn't really developed in several years - maybe a coaching issue? I think Schwarzer would have been a good signing for Arsenal - good enough to give Szczęsny competition, and old enough to let Szczęsny know that he's still the long-term solution (if he performs). That boat has sailed, of course.

You could argue that if he can't win back his place, he's not good enough for Arsenal. On the other hand, I'm not sure this always applies to goalkeepers, as unlike outfield players, you don't tend to substitute them on in safe games, or let them play out of position.

Szczęsny is contracted until 2015, so my thoughts are that if Arsenal sign Begović, one of these will be itching for a move in 1-2 years. This is probably why Wenger doesn't want to go for a goalkeeper - it's too short-term for his liking - he probably wants to give Szczęsny another year just to see what happens.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What? There were 2.80 goals per match last year, compared to 2.81 the year before and 2.80 the year before that.

The best defensive record in the PL was 34 goals conceded - that's a very generous rate to ship goals, even if it was the "best".

In context, Arsenal's all-time best defensive record under AW was 17. Mourinho's Chelsea the first time round had a ridiculously stingy backline.

Boasting the second best backline in the league having conceded 37 goals is nothing to write home about.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
The best defensive record in the PL was 34 goals conceded - that's a very generous rate to ship goals, even if it was the "best".

In context, Arsenal's all-time best defensive record under AW was 17. Mourinho's Chelsea the first time round had a ridiculously stingy backline.

Boasting the second best backline in the league having conceded 37 goals is nothing to write home about.

You said it was a bad year for defences. It wasn't. It was almost exactly the same as the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.