Kylian Mbappé

Ladron de redcafe

He's about 50 times better than Ronaldo, but who on earth is supposed to find this is even remotely credible?
Mbappe is not going anywhere.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Trust me I disagree. I for one would love Neymar at United for example, for all his off field problems his performances on the pitch are worth all of it, in the case of Mbappe it's simply down to performance on the pitch, he's a brilliant player but one that ETH would have to sacrifice part of his system for, he wouldn't need to do that with Neymar for example.
Fair enough mate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
100% this. Some will still gobble this rumour up though - confirmation bias.

We are not in the CL and currently are the 5th best team in the PL. We don't compete for the biggest honours and haven't for a decade. Can you honestly say that Mbappe would join us (unlikely anyway) for any reason other than money with all that considered?
I can’t honestly say anything at present. I don’t know. Would you raise the same questions if Mbappé were to be linked with Liverpool or Chelsea who are both currently below us?

This sort of attitude just creates toxic atmospheres around any big name player we buy because at the heart of it, our own fans can never see why anyone good would want to join us. If that’s how we feel then we should stop banging on about how we’re this huge club, biggest in the world, biggest in the UK etc because clearly many say it but don’t really believe it.

MUFC OK

I can’t honestly say anything at present. I don’t know. Would you raise the same questions if Mbappé were to be linked with Liverpool or Chelsea who are both currently below us?

This sort of attitude just creates toxic atmospheres around any big name player we buy because at the heart of it, our own fans can never see why anyone good would want to join us. If that’s how we feel then we should stop banging on about how we’re this huge club, biggest in the world, biggest in the UK etc because clearly many say it but don’t really believe it.
Liverpool and Chelsea have both won the CL in the last 3 years, Liverpool were in the final last year and both are in the competition this season, we've been in the shadows for a long time.

We're still a huge club of course but we are a fallen giant at this stage. There is attraction to join united but can't see arguably the best young player in the world picking us as his first choice. We have to be realistic and acknowledge where we are and have been for the past 10 years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just think how ridiculous it sounds - the Glazers would have to have every journo in the Uk and beyond on their payroll for everything to be a PR piece.

It takes up way too much time to feed information out.

The Glazers give no fecks about puff PR pieces. If they did they’d care more about the playing staff and actually get players in. It takes more effort to keep the fans onside than it does to actually put money into improving the club.

Just frustrates me that we as a fanbase think literally everything is fecking “PR”
Ey? Branding is huge and associating yourself with being able to buy the best players is massive for sponsorship. The mere fact that we can afford the best players (obviously we don’t mention the question of whether they’d want to come) has loads of potential pull, and it’s no doubt especially useful to remind everyone while trying to protect your brand from someone with the biggest following in the world attacking it.

All they need is one person to send a few emails out. The media doesn’t care if something is bullshit.

It would be very naive to think we’re above PR, and the media is above rubbish stories.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Journalists are fully capable of coming up with "Neymar to Man Utd?" without any input whatsoever from the club or the Glazers.

Chief123

I mean they could have chosen a more realistic story than this one!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Liverpool and Chelsea have both won the CL in the last 3 years, Liverpool were in the final last year and both are in the competition this season, we've been in the shadows for a long time.

We're still a huge club of course but we are a fallen giant at this stage. There is attraction to join united but can't see arguably the best young player in the world picking us as his first choice. We have to be realistic and acknowledge where we are and have been for the past 10 years.
Realistic would be what actually happens in real life. And that has been players still joining United through our difficult times. Top players with big reputations. Only that we ourselves have raised our eyebrows at them and written them all off as gold diggers.

What you say may well make sense somewhere, but it isn’t really reflected in reality at all. In fact, over the last decade - we’ve probably attracted the biggest players in the PL on the whole.

TheReligion

Abusive
There's a difference between City and United that might lead to one of the best players in the world joining them and not us. Clue: it's the reason RVP, Rio, Rooney and many of the worldclass/potentially world class players we signed back in the day decided to join us.
Clue: you’re wrong if you think they are the only reasons

MUFC OK

Clue: you’re wrong if you think they are the only reasons
I'm referring to our ability to compete and win trophies at the time. We can match anyone on the financial aspect (who knows what financial incentives City players are truly receiving, though).

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm referring to our ability to compete and win trophies at the time. We can match anyone on the financial aspect (who knows what financial incentives City players are truly receiving, though).
Again you’re wrong if you think that’s the only reason

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not only that. The way Ten Hag is trying to build, the striker plays a massive role in pressing.

If you watch Martial, he looks where everyone is on the pitch before pressing and in the last 2 games, we had a high % of turnovers compared to when Ronaldo plays.

Now, a player like Mbappe who we all know wants to play for Madrid, is only here to make money before Madrid say, yep, we will take you now.

I rather spend that money on 2/3 players to improve the whole team.
You do know Mbappe’s turned Real Madrid down multiple times so far in his career? I feel like he’s trolling them more than anything at this point.

But this is definitely not happening. He wouldn’t join a team that’s not even certain of being in the CL.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
One request Mbappe had on PSG was that they should get striker to play in front of M'bappe (think Oliver Giroux). I.e. he wants to play in a free role like Ronaldo had for Real Madrid, and won't want to be the single striker or play in a wide winger role.

romufc

You do know Mbappe’s turned Real Madrid down multiple times so far in his career? I feel like he’s trolling them more than anything at this point.

But this is definitely not happening. He wouldn’t join a team that’s not even certain of being in the CL.
He is 23 and by turning them down does not mean its not his dream. It is quite obvious to many people what his dream is.

I still believe he will play for Madrid.

SAFMUTD

Its obviously bullshit, due to talent I would take him in a heartbeat. One of the few worldclass attackers currently, but his attitude seems like a ticking bomb.

davidmichael

As a player Mbappe is brilliant and would be brilliant for us and in an ETH system BUT he’s turning into this generations ego driven toxic player and we’re just about to get rid of probably the most ego driven toxic player in the game so do we really want another one ?

There’s also the potential fee involved on top of his wages as he only signed a new contract in the summer, wasn’t PSG reportedly wanting £250 million when talk of him leaving a month or so ago came up ? Messi may well leave PSG in the summer especially if the win the CL so Mbappe will have the club built around him more.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is the stuff he’s done that’s toxic? I see this written as a given but don’t know enough about it. Also why does he actually want to leave?
It really doesn’t take much these days for players to be forever stamped with the ‘attitude problem’ sticker tbh. One incident, of which readers would almost never have all of the facts on and that will inevitably be the outcome.

If an individual ever opposes the institution he needs to fall in line and is out of order.

the_cliff

What is the stuff he’s done that’s toxic? I see this written as a given but don’t know enough about it. Also why does he actually want to leave?
The way he flirted with Real Madrid, gave PSG a massive problem then decided to stay as long as he was given a strike partner, reports are he also wanted Neymar sold cos he was taking his shine, he has the Ronaldo gene of throwing his hands up in games when not been given the ball and throwing tantrums.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The way he flirted with Real Madrid, gave PSG a massive problem then decided to stay as long as he was given a strike partner, reports are he also wanted Neymar sold cos he was taking his shine, he has the Ronaldo gene of throwing his hands up in games when not been given the ball and throwing tantrums.
Ah yes I do remember the hands in the air clip. It was diva ish. However, if all this stuff about him being DOF and getting his own way is true then why is Neymar still there and why didn’t they sign a striker? And he’s putting up great numbers so clearly not huffing about it if that is what he wanted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Almost all of this is made up though. He didn't cause any problem to PSG regarding Real Madrid, Madrid made a formal offer, Mbappé asked PSG to accept it, PSG rejected the offer and Mbappé had his best season for PSG. Then he was in the last six months of his contract and negotiated with both Real Madrid and PSG as he is legally allowed and picked PSG. The Neymar thing is nonsense, the reason PSG wanted to sell Neymar was because Leonardo offered him a stupid contract that had an automatic lenghty extension and a raise.

LordSpud

What? Why would nobody want a top 5 player in the world?
feck me blind we are literally going through the reason why right now. Also the past 5 years with Pogba. These players have serious attitude problems and especially Mbappe. Steer well clear!

Gordon S

feck me blind we are literally going through the reason why right now. Also the past 5 years with Pogba. These players have serious attitude problems and especially Mbappe. Steer well clear!
These players? Could you elaborate?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He is 23 and by turning them down does not mean its not his dream. It is quite obvious to many people what his dream is.

I still believe he will play for Madrid.
I'm not really convinced of that anymore. I definitely think he will experience a different league, but I think there's at least an equal chance he plays in England in the future than in Spain.

Says the guy who just reads the bs media and doesn't know one thing about the actual character of the player he's discussing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
These players? Could you elaborate?
He can't. He likened to completely different personalities. We have an ex player that was a bit like Mbappé and that player is a cult hero at United.

croadyman

I see the PR rubbish started from the Glazers they must be going into overdrive. As soon as Ronaldo called them out their PR team must have thought how can we distract the supporters from the fact he has just told the truth!
Yeah sadly for them we are too smart