Kylian Mbappe | PSG

Yuri37

MU fans, do you want Mbappe?
We can give you a friendly price (80M€)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Everyone rides this guys dick and and shits on our players. I hardly see anything against us whilst our players seem to perform against them.

Sylar

Mbappe missed a chance that would see martial or Rashford slaughtered for, right?

Irwin99

He always seems to be good when I watch but ...I never see this once in a generation talent that I expect i'm going to see. Think my expectations are wrong.

He always seems to be good when I watch but ...I never see this once in a generation talent that I expect i'm going to see. Think my expectations are wrong.
He was a once in a generation talent at 18. He's 21 now and hasn't progressed at all. Consider how much Messi and Ronaldo developed from 18 to 21.

Pace and tricks won't sustain his reputation forever but he does have time on his side.

BlahRules

He was a once in a generation talent at 18. He's 21 now and hasn't progressed at all. Consider how much Messi and Ronaldo developed from 18 to 21.

Pace and tricks won't sustain his reputation forever but he does have time on his side.
Playing in a crappy league where he don't have to up his game has stopped him taking his game to another level. If he leaves PGS I am sure he will improve dramatically and take the reign that Messi and Ronaldo have been holding on to for the past decade.

romufc

Maybe because we watch him in a competition where he doesnt get that much space.

His stats and goal scoring record is amazing in the French league where you can run at players, do 3/4 tricks and score goals. When you play at a higher level, your skills are tested and he seems to be struggling with that.

He has been in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi when in truth they were influencing games regularly at the highest level at his age. How often does Mbappe carry PSG ?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maybe because we watch him in a competition where he doesnt get that much space.

His stats and goal scoring record is amazing in the French league where you can run at players, do 3/4 tricks and score goals. When you play at a higher level, your skills are tested and he seems to be struggling with that.

He has been in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi when in truth they were influencing games regularly at the highest level at his age. How often does Mbappe carry PSG ?
Still got 36 goals and assists in 39 Champions League appearances, which works out as G&A per 80 minutes. Not bad for a kid.

romufc

Still got 36 goals and assists in 39 Champions League appearances, which works out as G&A per 80 minutes. Not bad for a kid.
Yea ofcourse, he is still a very very talented footballer.

In my opinion, he should move because he is too good for the PSG team. No dis respect to PSG but for him to take his career further he needs a move.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The funny thing about Mbappe, and how you know how good of a player he already is, is that he has great numbers and it still feels like he's not quite at his best. I thought he was struggling this season as well (at least his finishing in the CL has let him down lately) and he's still killing it stats-wise. I do think this is his last season at PSG and a move will take his game to the next level. I have watched him enough to have no doubts he's going to be the best player in the world in the next 2-3 years barring any disastrous injuries. I'd love to see him in the PL but seems like he's Liga-bound.

Irwin99

That is impressive. Have to say though, I don't think there's a lot of difference in the Rashford comparisons. Maybe one has a higher potential but adjusting for the leagues they play in, their team's respective levels and their talents/occasional inconsistencies, there's not much in it. Admittedly I've only seen Mbappe infrequently though.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I edited my post but 1 knockout goal for PSG is a concern. Thats all im saying, he isnt great until he proves otherwise.
What was that stat? Rashford has more CL goals in Paris over the last 2 and a bit seasons than Mbappe has?
Rooney scored his first knockout goal against Roma in 06/07 at age 21, and he did that after failing to score in the first 8 games of the CL in 06/07, following on from scoring 0 goals in all 4 CL games he played in 05/06, and failing to score in the 5 remaining CL games in 04/05 after his debut hat-trick. Ronaldo also scored his first knockout goal in that game against Roma at age 22, and around that time he was described as a "flat-track bully" because he would get marked out of games by someone like Ashley Cole.

The criticism wasn't appropriate then or now. Not scoring loads of goals in the CL knockout stages at a young age is entirely normal even for players who go on to be among the best forwards of their generation. It's not concerning. They tend to play in teams with elite senior forwards who are tasked with taking on more responsibility in those games, and they play a support role. Mbappe clearly plays that support role right now, and he did that very effectively in creating the first goal with his run, and creating the final goal with his pass. That's the kind of thing that Ronaldo was doing then too, the fact he wasn't scoring didn't mean he wasn't influencing games. He was just subservient to Ruud.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rooney scored his first knockout goal against Roma in 06/07 at age 21, and he did that after failing to score in the first 8 games of the CL in 06/07, following on from scoring 0 goals in all 4 CL games he played in 05/06, and failing to score in the 5 remaining CL games in 04/05 after his debut hat-trick. Ronaldo also scored his first knockout goal in that game against Roma at age 22, and around that time he was described as a "flat-track bully" because he would get marked out of games by someone like Ashley Cole.

The criticism wasn't appropriate then or now. Not scoring loads of goals in the CL knockout stages at a young age is entirely normal even for players who go on to be among the best forwards of their generation. It's not concerning. They tend to play in teams with elite senior forwards who are tasked with taking on more responsibility in those games, and they play a support role. Mbappe clearly plays that support role right now, and he did that very effectively in creating the first goal with his run, and creating the final goal with his pass. That's the kind of thing that Ronaldo was doing then too, the fact he wasn't scoring didn't mean he wasn't influencing games. He was just subservient to Ruud.
Great post. Im sure Cristiano took awhile to score a goal in the CL too. I kinda think it’s bias people in England have. I recall before the 09 final, all the talk was Messi hasn’t scored against an English side and it dominated one segment pre game. Yet Cristiano hadn’t scored against. Spanish side in almost the same amount of games.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Great post. Im sure Cristiano took awhile to score a goal in the CL too. I kinda think it’s bias people in England have. I recall before the 09 final, all the talk was Messi hasn’t scored against an English side and it dominated one segment pre game. Yet Cristiano hadn’t scored against. Spanish side in almost the same amount of games.
I'm not sure if it's a english bias. I think that it has more to do with people using the current best players as a reference for candidates to their thrones. I have seen people use Messi as a point of reference which is daft, sometimes we don't realize that our benchmarks are out of whack because we seriously use all time greats as examples.

cyberman

But Rooney was an all round player. Mbappe is a player who has to play wide because he isnt good with hs back to goal and hasnt the movement, ala Martial, to make those runs in the box.
I was on PSGs forum after the first game with us and they were claiming Mbappe could not score the goal that Rashford scored. His shooting has become very one dimensional and is lacking in variety. Its not like Rooney who moved from Everton and played in a transitional side for the first few seasons with us. Mbappes record is more of a worry because he did show he had what ittook and has constantly gone backwards. The likes of Rooney needed progression while Mbappe is clesr regression.
If we cant judge Mbappe on CL, over the space of 2 seasons and cointing, I dont know what we can judge him on. Being the young phenom who was nailed on Balon Dor winner and R9 incarnate is now being drawn back into the pack.
He is nowhere for them at home and disappears in the games that matter and he has to show he can overcome that

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That is impressive. Have to say though, I don't think there's a lot of difference in the Rashford comparisons. Maybe one has a higher potential but adjusting for the leagues they play in, their team's respective levels and their talents/occasional inconsistencies, there's not much in it. Admittedly I've only seen Mbappe infrequently though.
Speaking as someone who sees every game of both players, Mbappe is streets ahead of Rashford, they shouldn't even be compared at the moment to be honest and that's no disrespect to Rashford, he can improve to a point where a comparison wouldn't be out of place but that's not now. I can't think of one footballing attribute that Rashford has over Mbappe, while when I think of what Mbappe is better at than Rashford, it's quite a lot and by some margin too. Football IQ, passing, vision, finishing, consistency. Mbappe would wreck the premier league if he was there just as he is the French league, and I hope we get to see it soon.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But Rooney was an all round player. Mbappe is a player who has to play wide because he isnt good with hs back to goal and hasnt the movement, ala Martial, to make those runs in the box.
I was on PSGs forum after the first game with us and they were claiming Mbappe could not score the goal that Rashford scored. His shooting has become very one dimensional and is lacking in variety. Its not like Rooney who moved from Everton and played in a transitional side for the first few seasons with us. Mbappes record is more of a worry because he did show he had what ittook and has constantly gone backwards. The likes of Rooney needed progression while Mbappe is clesr regression.
If we cant judge Mbappe on CL, over the space of 2 seasons and cointing, I dont know what we can judge him on. Being the young phenom who was nailed on Balon Dor winner and R9 incarnate is now being drawn back into the pack.
He is nowhere for them at home and disappears in the games that matter and he has to show he can overcome that
Mbappe's pass for the 3rd goal and dribble for the 1st goal are pretty clear evidence of him being an all-round player. Raw and inconsistent with explosive moments mixed in with moments of ridiculous immaturity sum up Rooney then as well as they sum up Mbappe now, only Mbappe's explosive moments tend to be more frequent than Rooney's at the same age. You can judge Mbappe on his CL returns and Gio's summary of them do that pretty well.
That's an exceptional return. What you're doing is looking at a period within that, excluding everything else, and describing it as the only meaningful trend. Loads of players have gone 8 games without scoring in the CL. It hasn't been predictive of what they have done next nor has it invalidated what came before.

Rooney after failing to score in all 8 games in 06/07 prior to Roma went on to score 4 in 4 in the quarter finals and semi finals. He didn't suddenly grow up in that moment. Young forwards are just streaky. Those first 8 games without a goal were in a team that went on to be CL semi finalists and won the league with free flowing football, so it wasn't lacking the support either. Messi was one of the very exceptions in being quite consistent early on, but even he only scored in 1 CL game in 05/06, and in 1 CL game in 06/07. By the age of 21 he had scored in just 1 CL knockout game, against Celtic in the last 16, after failing to score against Chelsea, Liverpool and United in 2 legs each. By the time he'd turned 22 he had become the focal point and started scoring goals in the knockout stages. Haaland is the one exception now.

They are not the barometer for what an elite attacker should be doing at that age. Not following that accelerated progression and not continuing exponential growth is not an indication that he is not a future Ballon d'Or winner. I've just focused on a few examples but there are countless others.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
He's stagnated a lot since the WC. He's trying too much to be like Neymar but doesn't have the natural playmaking flair that Neymar has, it's also very clair that Neymar's the best player in Psg and that everything goes through him which i feel he isn't dealing with very well...

Josh 76

He is the standout player now to be the undisputed best player in the world.
His next move is vital though. On his day, no one can touch him. Just needs a bit more consistency.

Josh 76

The funny thing about Mbappe, and how you know how good of a player he already is, is that he has great numbers and it still feels like he's not quite at his best. I thought he was struggling this season as well (at least his finishing in the CL has let him down lately) and he's still killing it stats-wise. I do think this is his last season at PSG and a move will take his game to the next level. I have watched him enough to have no doubts he's going to be the best player in the world in the next 2-3 years barring any disastrous injuries. I'd love to see him in the PL but seems like he's Liga-bound.
You would love to see him in the PL?
Does that mean Liverpool?

cyberman

Mbappe's pass for the 3rd goal and dribble for the 1st goal are pretty clear evidence of him being an all-round player. Raw and inconsistent with explosive moments mixed in with moments of ridiculous immaturity sum up Rooney then as well as they sum up Mbappe now, only Mbappe's explosive moments tend to be more frequent than Rooney's at the same age. You can judge Mbappe on his CL returns and Gio's summary of them do that pretty well.

That's an exceptional return. What you're doing is looking at a period within that, excluding everything else, and describing it as the only meaningful trend. Loads of players have gone 8 games without scoring in the CL. It hasn't been predictive of what they have done next nor has it invalidated what came before.

Rooney after failing to score in all 8 games in 06/07 prior to Roma went on to score 4 in 4 in the quarter finals and semi finals. He didn't suddenly grow up in that moment. Young forwards are just streaky. Those first 8 games without a goal were in a team that went on to be CL semi finalists and won the league with free flowing football, so it wasn't lacking the support either. Messi was one of the very exceptions in being quite consistent early on, but even he only scored in 1 CL game in 05/06, and in 1 CL game in 06/07. By the age of 21 he had scored in just 1 CL knockout game, against Celtic in the last 16, after failing to score against Chelsea, Liverpool and United in 2 legs each. By the time he'd turned 22 he had become the focal point and started scoring goals in the knockout stages. Haaland is the one exception now.

They are not the barometer for what an elite attacker should be doing at that age. Not following that accelerated progression and not continuing exponential growth is not an indication that he is not a future Ballon d'Or winner. I've just focused on a few examples but there are countless others.
Im not saying hes uselss, im saying he isnt as good as advertised. He may well have had a decent dribble last night but there is a lot, lot more asked of him.
I dont think many top, elite players go 9 games without a goal no, nor only have 1 goal in CL knockouts over 3 years now.
Its not just me, its a lot of PSG fans asking the same. Now the criticism from their fans is that he only does it for 45 mins and disappears so even the consistency of performances are slipping

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
He is the standout player now to be the undisputed best player in the world.
His next move is vital though. On his day, no one can touch him. Just needs a bit more consistency.
How often do you watch Psg? Because no one here in France or who watches them play often thinks he's their standout player. Their number one game plan is to pass the ball to Neymar because he's their standout player and the one who makes anything happen for them.

Like i said earlier Mbappé's stagnated, and a couple of other young talents have caught up with him and are shinning more than he is and that seem to be the general perception here in France.

Yuri37

Yea ofcourse, he is still a very very talented footballer.

In my opinion, he should move because he is too good for the PSG team. No dis respect to PSG but for him to take his career further he needs a move.
Lool how he is too good for psg when he's been consistently one of our worst players in big CL games (like in the last one)??
Guys like Navas, Neymar, verratti, Marquinhos, Bernat or Di Maria have all been consistently better than him in big CL games with Paris and that's a bit embarrassing if you ask me for the 2nd most expensive player in history.
As a parisian supporter, I feel that we really shouldn't taken him in 2017 especially not for that prize considering what he gave us on the field in big CL games

Yuri37

finally someone who really understands football and who got what Mbappe's level really is and how overrated he's been

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The R9 comparisons were always dumb, just as dumb as they are now regarding Haaland. You can't sum Ronaldo up in goals at a young age and incredible speed, he had so much more to his game that Mbappe never possessed. I think very few people differentiate between potential and performance. If a young player performs, they automatically assume he has potential somehow proportional to said performances. But it doesn't work like that. If you exclude his decision making, Mbappe was never something extraordinarily special. He has insane pace, good finishing and is a great dribbler but he also has inconsistent technique in both his ball control and passing.

What was insane about Mbappe (and what's insane about Haaland now) was always his maturity. Reading the game, making the right runs, composure in front of the goal etc. He had those things sorted out much earlier than other great talents and people ignored his deficits due to it. Technique is usually developed at a young age and rarely makes huge leaps post 20. Decision making and composure on the other hand get better with age. Players who are extremely mature at a young age thus have less potential to develop.

Mbappe can still become an absolutely world class player. But IMO he was never as talented as the previous generation of standout youngsters like Neymar, Hazard and Götze who were in a different league technically. Same goes for Haaland now. That's also why I prefer Sancho to both. Sancho at times really reminds me of a young Neymar.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappé is a much better passer than ronaldo was at the same age. Probably a better passer than Ronnie ever was at that. Also a more willing passer

Ronnie had absurd control and dribbling which Mbappé doesn't come close to

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Mbappé is a much better passer than ronaldo was at the same age. Probably a better passer than Ronnie ever was at that. Also a more willing passer

Ronnie had absurd control and dribbling which Mbappé doesn't come close to
Mbappe’s passing flies under the radar a lot when he’s being discussed. I’m always really impressed by it.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The R9 comparisons were always dumb, just as dumb as they are now regarding Haaland. You can't sum Ronaldo up in goals at a young age and incredible speed, he had so much more to his game that Mbappe never possessed. I think very few people differentiate between potential and performance. If a young player performs, they automatically assume he has potential somehow proportional to said performances. But it doesn't work like that. If you exclude his decision making, Mbappe was never something extraordinarily special. He has insane pace, good finishing and is a great dribbler but he also has inconsistent technique in both his ball control and passing.

What was insane about Mbappe (and what's insane about Haaland now) was always his maturity. Reading the game, making the right runs, composure in front of the goal etc. He had those things sorted out much earlier than other great talents and people ignored his deficits due to it. Technique is usually developed at a young age and rarely makes huge leaps post 20. Decision making and composure on the other hand get better with age. Players who are extremely mature at a young age thus have less potential to develop.

Mbappe can still become an absolutely world class player. But IMO he was never as talented as the previous generation of standout youngsters like Neymar, Hazard and Götze who were in a different league technically. Same goes for Haaland now. That's also why I prefer Sancho to both. Sancho at times really reminds me of a young Neymar.
This. R9 is like if Mbappe had Benzema's body and skill

Web of Bissaka

When you play in an "easier" league where you get to easily pile-up insane high stats and past players with ease, you will get naturally complacent and won't improve.

Happened with Verratti, and now with Mbappe. I'm not seeing any improvements from any of them. They're still the same as before.

I mean both Verratti and Mbappe are still that good yes, but surely Mbappe can improve so much more than this.

Environmental factor is often under-mentioned as a good foster of improvements.

Oranges038

Needs to get the hell out of PSG. He'll never get better playing there, it's too easy to get settled into a comfort zone there and just play knowing your pretty much going to win everything.

I'd love to see what he could do in England playing with and against better players each week. I would swap Martial for him tomorrow.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Speaking as someone who sees every game of both players, Mbappe is streets ahead of Rashford, they shouldn't even be compared at the moment to be honest and that's no disrespect to Rashford, he can improve to a point where a comparison wouldn't be out of place but that's not now. I can't think of one footballing attribute that Rashford has over Mbappe, while when I think of what Mbappe is better at than Rashford, it's quite a lot and by some margin too. Football IQ, passing, vision, finishing, consistency. Mbappe would wreck the premier league if he was there just as he is the French league, and I hope we get to see it soon.
Rashford has better shooting than Kylian

Matt007a

Tricky to work out where he is going. On the one hand he’s young and we shouldn’t expect a player of his age to be the finished article or to be hugely consistent. On the flip side though, he’s played as much high level football as most 23/24year old players. Most players get a few sub appearances and the odd start until they’re 21, while Mbappe has been a regular starter since he was 17/18.

What made him such a standout player when he burst onto the scene was his maturity and decision making. This is usually the weakest part of a youngsters game and is the thing they improve most. When you’ve already got that part of the game down you are much closer to your ceiling that most youngsters.

It’s very possible that Mbappe is already at or near his peak level. We will only find out if he leaves PSG and goes up to another level in a more competitive league. At this moment in time, Neymar is the best player at PSG.

Threesus

Are some people still of the opinion that Rashford can match Mbappe? I like Rashford, but Mbappe didn't win a world cup at 19, score bucketloads of goals for both Monaco and PSG to be compared to Marcus. He is an all time great in the making, whereas Rashford would do well to become a United legend, which is not a small feat by any means.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I doubt it, PSG would rather have him rot on the bench for the last part of 21/22 season than selling him, they dont need the money, and yes, the owners can be that spiteful.

Last edited: