Kylian Mbappe signs new contract at PSG until 2025 | LaLiga will file a complaint

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappe could make history by winning the 1st UCL for PSG.
Sure. It would be no different to City winning it. It would hardly be some historic achievement like Leicester winning the PL. But still a good achievement though.

This whole notion of a player having to follow his dreams is completely overrated. It's his dream and business, why are some so concerned about him not fulfilling it ?
Not concerned but more bemused. He's not just any player, he's expected to be the best player of his generation, so there will always be keen interest on his career. And with due respect to the French league, someone who is on that trajectory plying his trade there week in week out, is a bit disappointing. At his age, Messi and Ronaldo were battling it out in the best league in the world with immense pressure every week at a level that was miles higher. By that time, Ronaldo had already won the PL multiple timews which was then at the time the best league around. And while I don't see Mbappe reaching their levels, there will always be a comparison between last generations best players and those this ones.

How are some here criticizing Mbappe? As if you would refused the money. :lol:
Why not? Great players are super rich anyway and their legacy tends to be hugely important.

Red_Aaron

Real should be careful, barca tried to bloody their nose once and it cost them neymar

Qatar don't give a fcuk and financial fair play or uefa or competition or any of that shit means nothing to them

They get what they want by any means

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Can see both sides of the argument. It’s very hypocritical of Real given their spending in 2008 which would have bankrupt most clubs. And their dodgy deal buying and selling their training ground from the Spanish government.

However is it right PSG, City and soon Newcastle can get away with what they are doing? No way should they be able to give a player that sort of money given their true revenue. This is on top of owning Messi and Neymar as well. It’s terrible for the sport and competition. Look at the Premier League with City. The league is generally boring, with only Klopp’s Liverpool being anywhere close to matching City. And now they have gone and bought Haaland for just ‘£60m’. When opposing fans complain it’s called sour grapes.

If you look at the wide pictures as well with the cost of fuel right now, the middle classes are being squeezed for every penny. And then the states controlling the oil are spending millions on one footballer. It’s sickening to be honest.
Well, you can take a look to my nick so you will understand I'm not a Real lover (but I love the city of Madrid as I lived there for many years), but the never ending story about the 2008 "events" is BS.

If you know Madrid, Bernabeu is in the middle of Castellana (the most expensive street of Spain). It wasn't like that when they started playing football and built the stadium.

Real Madrid also had training facilities not too far from there (maybe 2-3 km), to the North. That area that was "empty" was the most logical place for the city to grow. Especially if you consider how close it was to Azca (business area) and some of the most expensive neighborhoods of Madrid (like Barrio de Salamanca). It is also very close to the center. You couldn't find anywhere as close to the most expensive areas of the city without construction. It was obvious that some construction was going to be done there eventually. Real Madrid had their training facilities for decades and decades. There have been plans FOR DECADES to build in the area (long before 2008).

Obviously, Real Madrid knew they had a golden spot (as they have with Bernabeu) and they wanted money. They weren't going to sell before the "change of use" of the area was approved. Nobody with half brain knowing the city would do it. It was just a matter of time.

So, the city finally decided to start the development of the area and Real sold the land. Today there are a few skyscrapers and a lot of construction is coming (the original project was delayed and changed a little bit when the leftist took power of the city). Could Florentino had some "say" in the business? maybe. Was it just a matter of time because it was super obvious? of course. Real Madrid wasn't the only landlord and the same did the same, because again, it was pretty obvious. It didn't make any sense to have that space empty.

I don't know what the press has tried to sell but I can imagine nothing good.

Vapor trail

In a way good. I hate oil money but the facts are PSG are a better side than Madrid currently. PSG have literally the greatest footballer of all time playing for them right now.

Mbappe is French and why should or would every big player go to Madrid or Barcelona?

They dominated so long built on corruption and politics. You can’t really feel sorry for them someone is now prepared to pay more.
How have you come to that decision ? PSG are miles behind Madrid on the field and mentally as a team.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
That's how you see it from your outside perspective but things will be different in France and even more in the eyes of PSG fans. That's something that matters to him
well, making history for PSG fans is not making history in football as a whole.
sure they can celebrate and drink some oil.
but it will have 0 value for the sport as a whole. quite the opposite of epic.

I get that people take the piss out of La Ligas statement, but not entirely sure why it‘s seemingly blinding so many in regards to the actual problem here.

I was hoping that the attention towards Russian oligarchs would have an effect on how certain ownerships are viewed, but judging by Linekers tweet and the response it’s safe to say it hasn’t. Barcelona and Real Madrid have both spent a lot, but it’s never been without limit and never without consequence. Sugar daddies were a problem, but it also had upsides in some cases, until Abramovich took it to the absolute extreme and pretty much gave Chelsea the opportunity to spend without consequence at a time where £30mill was considered insane amounts. Now you have state funded football clubs where it’s all about sportwashing and advertisements, no balance whatsoever and no one to actually limit the consequences. I don’t think i’ll ever understand why supporters don’t lose interest, it’s a bit like the early days of football manager and using the editor.
exactly.
people just don't get it and they keep throwing stupid tantrums about "other teams spend a lot too".

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think this requires a separate thread as it's not really about Mbappe. Football needs a genuine discussion if this should be allowed. Football clubs have always been funded by benefactors but the scale of this is unprecedented.
Their wage bill next year will surely top €700m. Thats more than our revenues.

Teja

It'll be amazing if they get PSG kicked out of the CL :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This sort of criticism needs to come from other French sides or at least non-superleague clubs.

The message just gets diluted/ignored because everyone hates who is saying it, regardless of its validity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This sort of criticism needs to come from other French sides or at least non-superleague clubs.

The message just gets diluted/ignored because everyone hates who is saying it, regardless of its validity.
Exactly. I guess the money PSG spend and generate in terms of TV rights is crucial for the other French club's survival.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah, I am drinking in the tears of La Liga and Real. I mean, seriously, feck them at being upset they aren't the biggest swinging d*cks at the party anymore after fecking everyone else for years. They can complain all they want, but let's be real, special tax deals, dodgy land swaps (no the Real one wasn't fine because the City grew; I mean look at all the land swaps they did. For instance, when selling their training ground in 1998 they got given a piece of land valued at €420k then in 2011 the council decided that land's value had increased by over 5200% and gave them €22.7m for it; then it turned out the council didn't even own the land, as it was public land in 1998, so didn't even have the right to transfer ownership then.) Then there is also how Real and Barca hoovered up all the domestic money to the detriment of all the other teams in Spain, so I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Zero. Nada.

That said, this deal in particular is eye opening, however I have no confidence that anything will be done as PSG have brought their way to the top table of UEFA. At least they play in a sh*t league.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I mean when you're at a club with infinite budget for transfers/salary i don't think it's that impressive to win the CL tbh.
Paris will probably try to sell it as an historical achievement but it'll be no more impressive than Chelsea winning it when it finally happens.

::sonny::

Bigger than the club

In the agreement he became a player/manager, can decide the manager, the sporting director and the line up, the transfers

Leonardo has been sacked yesterday

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Real should be careful, barca tried to bloody their nose once and it cost them neymar

Qatar don't give a fcuk and financial fair play or uefa or competition or any of that shit means nothing to them

They get what they want by any means
Barcelona should make a statue to PSG for paying €222M for Neymar, another thing is that Bartomeu threw away the money.

erikcred

If he does that then he will definitely be adored even more by the PSG fans for sure.
But the only response outside Paris would be "Meh! What took you guys so long?"

Reyoji-Utd

I believe there are some football persons that love the sport as it is and wants to make it competitive as much as possible for everyone in the leagues. However, it pains to say that at this stage the football sport that we used to love is no more there. Its based more and more on money and cater toward business oriented then ever before.

Theres nothing anyone can do when from top to bottom, almost everyone are interconnected by the profits and leverage the whole sport generate and itll continue to be this way until the bubble is busted but then i doubted it will.

Its better for us fans to get used to it and prepare ourselves to not care that much anymore for this sport and take it as what it is now (more of an entertainment). I wouldnt believe myself to be this less interested in the sport as a whole then mayne 10-15 yrs ago. I used to looking forward to every weekend and watch at least 2-3 matches and some other programs football related. Woked up at 2-3 am to watch CL matches almost every mid week. But now wouldnt do any of those anymore. Just try as much as possible to watch us play.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure why people are criticizing Real in this case. In my opinion they have done nothing wrong and I'm not sure why so many believe they are the ones behind La Liga's comical attempt to sue PSG (or whatever)? Tebas and Perez don't get along at all and while this will hurt Madrid they have just won another domestic title, are one game away from wining their 14th CL title, have new(renovated) stadium coming in 2023 are are generally in pretty good financial condition.

It might take a while longer to rejuvenate the attack without Mbape or Haaland, but we'll get there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
UEFA. Tapie bribing referee in semi final before they beat AC Milan in the final 1-0. 1992 i think.
They have not been stripped of a thing by the UEFA, the Tapie case is about VA vs OM in 1993.

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The complaint may come from whoever considers that PSG has violated the rules.

That is called the ad hominem fallacy, the important thing is the argument, not who it comes from.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
well, making history for PSG fans is not making history in football as a whole.
sure they can celebrate and drink some oil.
but it will have 0 value for the sport as a whole. quite the opposite of epic.

exactly.
people just don't get it and they keep throwing stupid tantrums about "other teams spend a lot too".
To each his own, I have hard time criticizing his choice. It's not just about one aspect of football, we need to put ourselves in player's shoes and consider all the numerous things concerning them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That is called the ad hominem fallacy, the important thing is the argument, not who it comes from.
Then why has there been such a negative backlash to this (legitimate) complaint?

I'll answer, because it where the message comes from matters. Perhaps it shouldn't but we live in the real world.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Way too many pages here and in the transfer forum already, so what are @giorno 's feelings on the matter? :angel:

led_scholes

Will he ask for Zidane as a manager? Also, can't be easy for Pogba to go there now, knowing he will get a quarter of Mbappe's wage.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Then why has there been such a negative backlash to this (legitimate) complaint?

I'll answer, because it where the message comes from matters. Perhaps it shouldn't but we live in the real world.
It really does. La Liga took it for granted that Mbappe was coming their way, like he was supposed to be their prime asset or something.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Then there is also how Real and Barca hoovered up all the domestic money to the detriment of all the other teams in Spain, so I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Zero. Nada.
This is not true, there was a vote among all the clubs to see if the TV rights were sold jointly or individually. And in the vote came the option to sell them individually.
And how could it be otherwise, Barcelona and Real Madrid sold their rights for much more money.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are not to blame for the fact that the other 38 clubs voted that way.
So let's stop the fake news.

Varun

Staff
I think this requires a separate thread as it's not really about Mbappe. Football needs a genuine discussion if this should be allowed. Football clubs have always been funded by benefactors but the scale of this is unprecedented.
Their wage bill next year will surely top €700m. Thats more than our revenues.
The last tweet is bang on. It's rich coming from Real but it doesn't make it any less true. It's absolutely mental what PSG is doing

We need an rvn

Bigger than the club

In the agreement he became a player/manager, can decide the manager, the sporting director and the line up, the transfers

Leonardo has been sacked yesterday
Do you really believe that? I just don't believe the part about him having all these new "powers"

Firstly, what player would want to take on such responsibilities / or have the time to be thinking about stuff like that when they should simply be focusing on playing and improving
Secondly, imagine the disharmony in that squad if one player can chose who plays / leaves the club etc.

The money side of the contract, sure, I believe that (and probably more than reported)

choccy77

Salah (maybe?) or Lewandowski (but don’t see how he works next to Benzema). Maybe even Dembele to get one over their arch rivals. But yeah. Outside of Salah, I don’t see many options at that world class level.
I think Madrid go all out for Salah now.....they have to.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The last tweet is bang on. It's rich coming from Real but it doesn't make it any less true. It's absolutely mental what PSG is doing
My issue with that argument is that Football isn't traditional a money making business, that tweet and the way many people talk about it is a fairly recent logic. Football and sport in general is mainly build on patronage and money is lost by owners.

I get that many people think that Football should only be a business but it's not an universal idea and there is no good reason to support that idea either since it's completely unrealistic for 99% of clubs.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
So, the city finally decided to start the development of the area and Real sold the land. Today there are a few skyscrapers and a lot of construction is coming (the original project was delayed and changed a little bit when the leftist took power of the city). Could Florentino had some "say" in the business? maybe. Was it just a matter of time because it was super obvious? of course. Real Madrid wasn't the only landlord and the same did the same, because again, it was pretty obvious. It didn't make any sense to have that space empty.
Thanks for this post, I think most people don't understand this story too well and if they visited Madrid and someone pointed to the skyscrapers and said "that's RM's old training ground" they'd be baffled.