Kylian Mbappe | Signs new PSG contract until 2025, La Liga says they intend to file a complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

caid

Pity, was looking forward to seeing him play in a meaningful league. I guess i'll enjoy the 6 or so champions league games he plays each season. Still feels like a waste.

Trex

It's not really funny unless you don't care about the paradigm shift that is the oil-states positioning themselves as the biggest clubs in the world and effectively starting to take over the game
On the long run I'll like to see how Madrid adapts to that, they always had the best players now the best turn them them down for PSG, as a united fan City have already unseated us over the last 10 years, we haven't been able to get our shit together. .. Let's see if Madrid will sink or swim as its not really impossible to compete with them on the playing field.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I interpreted that as coming from the Qatari side. Mbappe spoke himself of being worried about some of the language used by the PSG owners last summer. I'm not convinced of him being threatened to stay. However, I don't think it's outlandish to think that Macron may have been asked to try to convince him to stay in France, nor that it would be legally perilous for Macron to do so. This kind of stuff happens all the time within the wheels of power.
I'm not talking about hypotheticals here, french judges are currently targetting Qatar, Sarkozy and whoever could be linked to any sort of corruption, there is actual open cases. Whoever gets involved with them better not be caught by Marca within hours.

Rolaholic

Yea it is a bit worrying when looking at the current state of the game and where things are trending. It's not coincidental that the top 2 young players in the world have been tied down by the 2 wealthiest clubs in the word over the last decade.

Makes you wonder how the traditional and established elite will respond to the growing power and sway of the state funded clubs because on paper and on a financial level, they absolutely can't compete anymore.

The rising tide of limitless oil money influence in the game is why I wasn't as viscerally against the idea of an ESL as many were when the new came out. The original format was anti-competitive but the adjustments they announced in response to the outcry sounded very reasonable. An open format for the big clubs in Europe to share revenue amongst themselves while cutting out the corrupt middleman that is UEFA.

Now you have UEFA adopting many of the same ideas they railed against into this new bastardized version of the UCL that will begin in 2 years soon after gutting FFP and basically giving state funded clubs free reign in the market.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As much as a setback it is for you lot, every cloud has a silver lining. I think your club should forget about Mbappe now and move forward with a more balanced overhaul of the team with all the money saved. In my opinion you should go for Salah, Nkunku, Tchouameni and possibly Pogba this summer. I think he would be grand for you.
That's how I'm seeing all of this, at least we can now concentrate on replacing Kroos, adding more depth and overall strengthen other positions in the team. With Benzema on his current form the blow hasn't been so hard. :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is this like when La Liga tried to get involved in the De Gea deal? They protect their big boys in ways English clubs can only dream of

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yea it is a bit worrying when looking at the current state of the game and where things are trending. It's not coincidental that the top 2 young players in the world have been tied down by the 2 wealthiest clubs in the word over the last decade.
Haaland was totally within reach for Real, they just decided to go all in for Mbappé. Considering Benzema's age, Haaland would have been my first choice for their team if they really believe in Vinicius. Mbappé can't play as a proper n°9 and the Real DNA involves having several finishers in the box.

Seij

I won't believe this until PSG officially comes out with "Mbappe re-signs".

EtH

Won’t be taking him seriously for another three years at least then.

Dante

Average bang
The possibility of Mbappe and/or Haaland to Real and/or Barca was the only thing keeping La Liga relevant in an age of Premier League ascendency. While English clubs have money and a competitive league, the Spanish have always been able to rely on big name pull and glamour signings.

The rejection is inevitably going to sting. They'll continue be relevant on the European stage (and hopefully they'll even beat the odds and win the CL next week), but their position near the top is slipping ever further away.

This is obviously just a butt hurt reaction. But the upside versus downside means it's worth doing, even if they do end up embarrassing themselves.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Imagine United behaved like this every time we got used for contract negotiations. We wouldn't ever stop suing and reporting

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Pity, was looking forward to seeing him play in a meaningful league. I guess i'll enjoy the 6 or so champions league games he plays each season. Still feels like a waste.
Yes he’s pretty much just eliminated himself from a high all time ranking when his career is done. Asterisks everywhere

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The possibility of Mbappe and/or Haaland to Real and/or Barca was the only thing keeping La Liga relevant in an age of Premier League ascendency. While English clubs have money and a competitive league, the Spanish have always been able to rely on big name pull and glamour signings.

The rejection is inevitably going to sting. They'll still be relevant on the European stage (and hopefully they'll even beat the odds and win the CL next week), but their position near the top is slipping even further away.
To be honest, PSG won't be a consistent threat in europe until we know how to build a team properly. Renewing Mbappé is fine but it doesn't change the fact that our midfield sucks balls and that you can't have a balanced team with Neymar, MBappé and Messi at the front.

Stacks

The money isn’t surprising, was only a matter of time and really it’s not that huge when you think a about it in regards to signing a marquee player, the worlds most marketable and probably best for the next 7 years. Eg £100m fee but to player instead of rival club, £50m a year wages was only a matter of time.

Where PSG have embarrassed themselves is with power they’ve given him. If true it’s utterly ridiculous and no manager with self respect will want to join them.

Also how does it work. Imaging they hire Jose, they get linked with a player and at the presser mourinho and Mbappe are sitting together and a journo asks Mbappe “so you’ve been linked with x player any truth in that and is that the type of player you’d like at PSG?” Or PSG get Ko’d in the CL QF, managers job is in question, and the journos start asking Mbappe about the manager’s future….. would any certified manager like SAF, Klopp, Ancelotti, Jose, Pep, Conte etc accept that? At best they’d get a puppet whose just happy to be given the job
50 mill after tax I am hearing. thats 2m a week which is 4-5 X more than anyone else. He isn't even that good

croadyman

Haaland was totally within reach for Real, they just decided to go all in for Mbappé. Considering Benzema's age, Haaland would have been my first choice for their team if they really believe in Vinicius. Mbappé can't play as a proper n°9 and the Real DNA involves having several finishers in the box.
Yeah we had a chance of signing him one day IF Real hadn't been all in for Mbappe, sadly the City move has ended that possibility

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yes he’s pretty much just eliminated himself from a high all time ranking when his career is done. Asterisks everywhere
This is an absurd take, he'll be 25 or 26 years old when he leaves PSG, it's supposed to be the very beginning of prime level for a football player, he has plenty of time to leave a huge mark in another club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The money isn’t surprising, was only a matter of time and really it’s not that huge when you think a about it in regards to signing a marquee player, the worlds most marketable and probably best for the next 7 years. Eg £100m fee but to player instead of rival club, £50m a year wages was only a matter of time.

Where PSG have embarrassed themselves is with power they’ve given him. If true it’s utterly ridiculous and no manager with self respect will want to join them.

Also how does it work. Imaging they hire Jose, they get linked with a player and at the presser mourinho and Mbappe are sitting together and a journo asks Mbappe “so you’ve been linked with x player any truth in that and is that the type of player you’d like at PSG?” Or PSG get Ko’d in the CL QF, managers job is in question, and the journos start asking Mbappe about the manager’s future….. would any certified manager like SAF, Klopp, Ancelotti, Jose, Pep, Conte etc accept that? At best they’d get a puppet whose just happy to be given the job
I imagine they will throw obscene amounts at managers, so much that they would be crazy to refuse

Classical Mechanic

I'm not talking about hypotheticals here, french judges are currently targetting Qatar, Sarkozy and whoever could be linked to any sort of corruption, there is actual open cases. Whoever gets involved with them better not be caught by Marca within hours.
But we agree that the accusation that the soft influence of Macon in the deal is not an outlandish idea?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
This is an absurd take, he'll be 25 or 26 years old when he leaves PSG, it's supposed to be the very beginning of prime level for a football player, he has plenty of time to leave a huge mark in another club.
Nevermind the legacy that leading PSG to their first CL would leave. Not the most romantic, sure, but still significant.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Nevermind the legacy that leading PSG to their first CL would leave. Not the most romantic, sure, but still significant.
In France it will be, and he's french. Basile Boli is still an legend in France just because he scored Marseille's goal in the CL final and he wasn't even that good a player.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
In France it will be, and he's french. Basile Boli is still an legend in France just because he scored Marseille's goal in the CL final and he wasn't even that good a player.
But nothing matters if it doesn't happen in England or Spain...

Status
Not open for further replies.