Television La casa de papel (Money Heist)

NinjaFletch

The subtitles are hilariously bad at times. There’s points I’ve noticed they haven’t bothered with subtitles at all. Good show though.
I'd need a Spanish speaker to confirm, but I'm sure there's parts where the subtitles aren't to blame either.

For example the scene with Denver trying to convince the curly haired woman not to get an abortion and the intelligence bloke just randomly going 'I AM A HAPPILY MARRIED MAN' just seemed very forced.

acnumber9

I'd need a Spanish speaker to confirm, but I'm sure there's parts where the subtitles aren't to blame either.

For example the scene with Denver trying to convince the curly haired woman not to get an abortion and the intelligence bloke just randomly going 'I AM A HAPPILY MARRIED MAN' just seemed very forced.
Possibly. I just watched an episode where the police inspecter said she told somebody about the colour of her orgasms. I hope that was just bad translation.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's a really good show but Netflix butchered the subtitles and I've no idea why they split the episodes into longer ones like they did. They ended on really weird cliffhangers and felt so disjointed at times.

NinjaFletch

Right. Finished it.

Spoiling thoughts

Ended up coming away from it very disappointed. It built up its own premise well enough to keep me interested and wanting to see how it ended, but it got progressively stupider as it went on stretching its premise to breaking point and then ending with a slap in the face ending. As fecking if 6 people at the centre of a heist that size could walk away from a location the police know they're at in a set of unconvincing disguises and as fecking if the police would just watch a giant lorry come out of that building and just ignore it as unrelated. That is the end game of this genius plan? Why on earth would Tokyo risk her life to get back in to the mint in order to escape if she knew the escape plan was just 'walk away in a disguise' anyway.

The entirety of the Professor/Inspector plot line was absolutely stupid and completely unnecessary and I can't honestly think of one good reason the show gave for why he needed to speak to her at all. It gave him some plausible deniability for being around the case, but they learnt nothing from that link they didn't get from bugging Ángel.

I reckon there's a good show in there, but it needed to be trimmed down by about 50% and suffered from the typical problems of writers thinking they're far smarter than they are.

Oh and the translator needs sacking. If you're making a heist show about stealing money from the royal mint it seems like the absolute most basic requirement of translation is to translate 'Royal Mint' consistently, but no. We got 'Royal Mint', the literal translation of 'fabrica' as 'factory' and several instances where they didn't bother translating 'fabrica' at all not to mention several instances of sentences being translated in a way which gave them the complete opposite meaning (such as not translating the negation). I would guess that Netflix picked up the distribution rights for this cheaply and tried to do the translation on as much of a budget as they possibly could and didn't do enough checking of the translation proofs.

Roosney

Thanks guys, I was out of series to watch, this seems pretty. Watched the first five minutes in the office :p

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Debating whether or not to continue 1 1/2 episodes in. The English dubbing is bad to the point of being distracting. Same as Babylon Berlin.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just watched the whole season 1 yesterday. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Debating whether or not to continue 1 1/2 episodes in. The English dubbing is bad to the point of being distracting. Same as Babylon Berlin.
Yeah, watch it in Spanish with English subtitles, it's immeasurably better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am watching it due to many recommendations, but this is really one average show. Turning into a spanish soap opera after few episodes. I am 10 episodes into it, I want to finish it but it's so bad and so cringey at moments. That negotiator MILF doing her hair everytime is one of the most cringiest things I've seen. Picking mentally weak crew all around to pull one of the biggest heists ever is really stupid, people and robbers falling in love and expressing love between eachother during the heist is something :lol:

I don't get it how so many people liked it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's rewatch value isn't that great. However I enjoyed the feck out of the silly plots and twists on the first view. Still on team feck Arturo

Ariadna > Nairobi > Tokyo > Monica > Raquel (all hot by the way)

Sgt.Major

Stopped three episodes, it's so cheesy and soapy. Lame script, bad acting, nothing to like here.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Stopped three episodes, it's so cheesy and soapy. Lame script, bad acting, nothing to like here.
Yep, watching this until the end is one of the biggest regrets in my life. What a waste of time.

djdhrubs

I am watching it due to many recommendations, but this is really one average show. Turning into a spanish soap opera after few episodes. I am 10 episodes into it, I want to finish it but it's so bad and so cringey at moments. That negotiator MILF doing her hair everytime is one of the most cringiest things I've seen. Picking mentally weak crew all around to pull one of the biggest heists ever is really stupid, people and robbers falling in love and expressing love between eachother during the heist is something :lol:

I don't get it how so many people liked it.
Couldn’t agree more. I started running out of energy with it. I actually made it to the final episode a few months ago, am about half way through it and literally haven’t been bothered to go back and see how it ends.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yep, watching this until the end is one of the biggest regrets in my life. What a waste of time.
I liked it till they were taking over the building. When the secluded waiting period began, I lost interest as it was a soap from then on. The lead chick was just plain whiny and the Inspector was just emotional baggage.

Starts well, but not worth watching till finish.

Fridge chutney

I watched the last 6 episodes first so was hard to figure out what was happening. I then watched the first few episodes and it made sense.

Really enjoyable series. Worth a watch for those who need a new show.

Tarrou

I watched the last 6 episodes first so was hard to figure out what was happening. I then watched the first few episodes and it made sense.

Really enjoyable series. Worth a watch for those who need a new show.
But why?

Fridge chutney

Girlfriend. She had started watching and insisted that I join half way through. She would get annoyed when I asked questions.

Same thing happened with another Netflix series. Can't remember the name but it's the one where the kids have powers and there are monsters and alternate universes. That one was confusing af.

Amir

I rather enjoyed it, but stil struggled as it dragged along as it became sillier and sillier. Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a show with so many women acting like total idiots.

Amir

it is surely only down hill from here
Yeah, typically mliking it. One saving grace could be the number of episodes, though. A shorter story would have done the world of good for seasons 1+2 (which in Spain I think were just one season).

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
New trailer looks promising. I wasn't initially convinced about a third season because the story has already been told with the first two seasons, but I'm looking forward to it now.

Rooney24

I have 2 episodes left of part 2 to go. Its truly one of the worst show Ive ever watched. But at the same time I keep watching it. I think just to sort of get over the finish line and see what happens in the end. But its awful.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just finished season 3. Seems it’s split into two parts though, so will be a second half of the season to come I’m sure.