La Liga 2013-2014

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
How many foreigners could you buy at that time? Even if you had a financial advantage back then, it could not translate as much as it does today. Not even nearly. And do you have any figures by the way?
The Dons side cost £350,000 which was only for Strachan and Weir. No idea what Madrid cost.

malappapper

The Dons side cost £350,000 which was only for Strachan and Weir. No idea what Madrid cost.
When we are referring to a club's financial outlays, we do not limit ourselves to their transfer expenditure. We count that, plus wages. It's the overall budget of one club versus its rivals that is the telling statistic here, not solely transfer expenditure. And even that is not enough on its own. We have to look at total outlays over 3-year, 5-year and even 10-year periods to get the full picture.

Atletico's transferred players have cost somewhere between 30 to 40 million euros.

Edit: If one look at Scottish football at the time of the Aberdeen victories, it was not dominated by the Old Firm. In 79/80, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 5th. In 80/81, Celtic were first and Rangers third, in 81/82, Celtic first, Rangers third, in 82/83, Dundee won the league, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 4th, in 83/84, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 4th, in 84/85, again Celtic 2nd and Rangers fourth.

In fact Rangers at the time never finished above 3rd. They hovered between 3rd and fifth for the entire period. All of Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee won the league during that period. It was not the SPL of more recent times, not at all.

Last edited:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
When we are referring to a club's financial outlays, we do not limit ourselves to their transfer expenditure. We count that, plus wages. It's the overall budget of one club versus its rivals that is the telling statistic here, not solely transfer expenditure. And even that is not enough on its own. We have to look at total outlays over 3-year, 5-year and even 10-year periods to get the full picture.

Atletico's transferred players have cost somewhere between 30 to 40 million euros.

Good luck finding all that information from a game 30 years ago. I wasn't dismissing your point, merely stating how much was spent by one of the teams. However I can assure you that if you do find any of the information you are after, you'll find an incredible chasm between Aberdeen and Real Madrid during that era.

malappapper

Good luck finding all that information from a game 30 years ago. I wasn't dismissing your point, merely stating how much was spent by one of the teams. However I can assure you that if you do find any of the information you are after, you'll find an incredible chasm between Aberdeen and Real Madrid during that era.
Aberdeen and Real Madrid played in the same league?

Raul Madrid

Edit: If one look at Scottish football at the time of the Aberdeen victories, it was not dominated by the Old Firm. In 79/80, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 5th. In 80/81, Celtic were first and Rangers third, in 81/82, Celtic first, Rangers third, in 82/83, Dundee won the league, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 4th, in 83/84, Celtic were 2nd and Rangers 4th, in 84/85, again Celtic 2nd and Rangers fourth.

In fact Rangers at the time never finished above 3rd. They hovered between 3rd and fifth for the entire period. All of Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee won the league during that period. It was not the SPL of more recent times, not at all.
That is a good find. People always say that Scotland was always a two horse race but that shows that it isn't the case.

Raul Madrid

The picture he posted was with the European Cup Winners Cup.
His main question was did any team win its league against opponents with a budget that 5 times bigger than its own. That is why he feels beating Madrid has nothing to do with this particular conversation.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
His main question was did any team win its league against opponents with a budget that 5 times bigger than its own. That is why he feels beating Madrid has nothing to do with this particular conversation.
The picture posted was of the European Cup and I provided information about that.
In answer to the question of a budget 5 times as big as has been previously stated Montpellier achieved the same feat.

malappapper

The picture he posted was with the European Cup Winners Cup.
Yes, and the CWC is besides the point in relation to league football which involves many more games and less luck than KO competitions. Also, back then, things were infinitely more egalitarian in terms of club football. Clubs from Romania, Serbia, Georgia, Ukraine, Belgium, Scotland, Sweden and Holland won European titles. Now something of that sort is strictly out of the question.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone who has an interest in Scottish Football knows that it wasn't always a two horse race. The 80's was a strong time for Scottish football with that Dundee United team reaching the Semi's of the European Cup in 1984. Rangers were had a poor couple of years in the early 80's before investing heavily again.

malappapper

The picture posted was of the European Cup and I provided information about that.
In answer to the question of a budget 5 times as big as has been previously stated Montpellier achieved the same feat.
And I replied to the PSG/Montpellier example by clarifying that PSG were only beginning to shape their new team in 11/12. Barcelona/Real Madrid have been behemoths since forever. PSG were also-runs at best before 11/12. That example cannot stand for a split second.

Raul Madrid

Oh. I thought(and I assume malapapper did too) that the picture was of them winning the Scottish league.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
And I replied to the PSG/Montpellier example by clarifying that PSG were only beginning to shape their new team in 11/12. Barcelona/Real Madrid have been behemoths since forever. PSG were also-runs at best before 11/12. That example cannot stand for a split second.
The budget difference was the still similar as a percentage though. All you said was 'If anyone has an example of a club winning its domestic league versus opponents with 5 times as much money, then I am more than eager to learn about it...' and now you dismiss the example. What other stipulations would you like to add in? One team must be a European Powerhouse, in which case we are narrowing it down to about 4 potential teams.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Oh. I thought(and I assume malapapper did too) that the picture was of them winning the Scottish league.
Nah, that pictures of the CWC (a real beauty, I've held the one the club keeps) I replied to the Mala's reply to the picture without reading the original post.

malappapper

Yes, that was my initial impression as well, but like I said above, KO competitions are a different story, plus football back then was infinitely more egalitarian back then. Real Madrid at the time could and did lose to any number of "small clubs" in Europe at the time. Another thing, is that Spanish football back then was nowhere near as good as Spanish football since the late 90s. The top club of the time, Liverpool, also lost to east European clubs several times in that era. I therefore repeat, football in the 70s and the 80s was an egalitarian paradise compared to its contemporary version.

Raul Madrid

Yes, that was my initial impression as well, but like I said above, KO competitions are a different story, plus football back then was infinitely more egalitarian back then. Real Madrid at the time could and did lose to any number of "small clubs" in Europe at the time. Another thing, is that Spanish football back then was nowhere near as good as Spanish football since the late 90s. The top club of the time, Liverpool, also lost to east European clubs several times in that era. I therefore repeat, football in the 70s and the 80s was an egalitarian paradise compared to its contemporary version.
That is true. I would say that money is more prominent in the game now and that it gives clubs a massive advantage more so than it did before.

malappapper

The budget difference was the still similar as a percentage though. All you said was 'If anyone has an example of a club winning its domestic league versus opponents with 5 times as much money, then I am more than eager to learn about it...' and now you dismiss the example. What other stipulations would you like to add in? One team must be a European Powerhouse, in which case we are narrowing it down to about 4 potential teams.
The Atletico achievement does pertain to have beaten two clubs who have outspent them for one season. It refers to a club that has triumphed over two other clubs who have been outspending said club for season after season. PSG barely started their spending spree by 11/12. That is why the analogy is null and void. And yes, you can also add that Real/Barca are two of the very strongest in Europe.

malappapper

That is true. I would say that money is more prominent in the game now and that it gives clubs a massive advantage more so than it did before.
Now a club can buy players from all over the planet if it can afford them. Back then, your options were extremely limited, even if you did have shitloads of money (nobody did btw) If a club had good players (Ajax, Steaua, Dynamo Kiev, Dynamo Tbilisi, Red Star Belgrade etc etc) then it was great for them, they could keep them for an extended period of time, if not forever.

Edit: Just to give a graphic example of how equal things were back then, the Aberdeen side that beat Real Madrid in the CWC final in 1983, and also beat Bayern Munich in the querter-final the same season, had serious trouble eliminating Dinamo Tirana en route to that final. They only beat them 1-0 on aggregate after two legs. Nowadays, if an Albanian team face a CL champions or even an EL champions they will get absolutely hammered. The aggregate score can easily reach double figures.

Eila

It's amazing how Atletico found success despite having to sell their talent. I mean they've sold De Gea, Aguero, Falcao, Forlan in the last few years.
Speaking of sales, they really know where to find strikers. Just add Costa and Torres to the mix and you've got 5 of the highest rated strikers of the last decade.

malappapper

It's amazing how Atletico found success despite having to sell their talent. I mean they've sold De Gea, Aguero, Falcao, Forlan in the last few years.
Speaking of sales, they really know where to find strikers. Just add Costa and Torres to the mix and you've got 5 of the highest rated strikers of the last decade.
They also had Jimmy Floyd Haisselbank and Christian Vieri before...

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Christian Vieri too if you go back a bit further, great history of strikers.

Edit: Beaten to it :(

Malva

apparently that messi goal should've counted, the pass bounced off the atletico defender juanfran rather then a barca player, so it wasn't played offside, it was a valid goal.

oh well, next year. tough call.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
How a team that sells their best player(s) every season can take the league away from the 'big two' is just a mind-blowing effort.

The club is in a special place right now.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Exactly, almost forgot they are in the CL final! I think R.Madrid will be a lot more nervous going into that match then Atletico! If they win the double this season that is up there with the greatest achievements a team has had imo.
Fully agree.

I wonder what their expenditure has been like in comparison to Real and Barcelona. They've sold arguably the third best player in the world last season in Falcao (last seasons form anyway), whilst the other two sides have two of the all-time greats.

Redo91

apparently that messi goal should've counted, the pass bounced off the atletico defender juanfran rather then a barca player, so it wasn't played offside, it was a valid goal.

Considering they get so much of the tv money I think we will let this one pass.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm absolutely delighted for atletico. It has to be one of the great league wins in recent times. The difference in quality of the players of atletico and that of barca and real is absolutely huge, and it's basically been a win for team work attitude and consistence. Superb.

Supports
Barcelona

As far as I understand, it has to be "played" from the opposition, not merely final touch, to be not considered as offside.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Why weren't atleti given the trophy at the end of the game? I can't find any photos of them with it?

Mali_Zeus

Why weren't atleti given the trophy at the end of the game? I can't find any photos of them with it?

I heard they will get in the 1st game of the next season cause spanish president wasn't in the country or sthing.

Really great achievement by Atletico, especially given their squad depth which isn't that good, especially compared to Barca and Madrid. But Simeone made them a formidable team which clicked at full strength and they finished it and didn't let it slip. :D

I hope they'll beat Madrid too in CL final to finish their great season with a CL trophy and so Madrid wont take their decima.

You can say all you want about Barca and their fans but it was really nice to see Nou Camp applauding Atletico in the end. I'm sure they wouldn't do it for Madrid but that's understandable. :)

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I heard they will get in the 1st game of the next season cause spanish president wasn't in the country or sthing.
What the feck? So they can't even parade it during the summer? First time I've ever heard of this happening in La Liga

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
What the feck? So they can't even parade it during the summer? First time I've ever heard of this happening in La Liga
Bizarre isn't it. It's like he took the key to the trophy room with him when he went on holiday.

As things stand, Atletico will arrive (trophyless) for their victory party in Neptuno (the fountain/square where they have their celebrations) tonight. Maybe they'll bring a replica out of the club trophy cabinet?

The Spanish press are confused as well, even explaining that in England three trophy clones had been sent out to the various grounds where the winners might come from on the last day of the PL season - not just getting one to the Camp Nou.

Count Orduck

Is the Spanish FA's President pitching a shitfit because a team other than Real or Barca won it? Or is he just incompetent?