La Liga - 2014/15

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Also, Real Madrid have "re-signed" Casemiro. I think he was on loan at Porto but with an agreed release fee at the end of the loan, but Teal Madrid have paid Porto €5.5m to block the potential buy-out clause.
I think every Real Madrid "loan" is like that. Morata has the same option.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I think every Real Madrid "loan" is like that. Morata has the same option.
As far as I'm aware Morata was actually sold to Juve but they retained a buy-back clause. I think Casemiro was only loaned to Porto, but with the option of them buying him and Real have paid Porto £5.5m to cancel that option.

But yes, most loans and sales of players from top Spanish clubs have buy-back clauses inserted.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
As far as I'm aware Morata was actually sold to Juve but they retained a buy-back clause. I think Casemiro was only loaned to Porto, but with the option of them buying him and Real have paid Porto £5.5m to cancel that option.

But yes, most loans and sales of players from top Spanish clubs have buy-back clauses inserted.
That's a weird loan clause that I haven't heard about before but you appear to be right if the reports are correct as he was loaned and Morata was bought. Probably something Porto thought of. They're not getting money from clubs for not buying their players. We need to have their guy team up with Woody.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
That's a weird loan clause that I haven't heard about before but you appear to be right if the reports are correct as he was loaned and Morata was bought. Probably something Porto thought of. They're not getting money from clubs for not buying their players. We need to have their guy team up with Woody.
He's correct.

Porto had an option to buy Casemiro for €15m. Real Madrid could cancel that option by paying half of that amount to Porto, and so they did, as we wanted to keep him.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
How has he performed for you @Arruda? From what I saw of him he didn't look a €15m player.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
How has he performed for you @Arruda? From what I saw of him he didn't look a €15m player.
He started relatively poorly, but improved massively and was one our best midfielders in the final third of the season. Porto probably had the goal of using him for a couple of seasons more and then sell him for a profit. It's not that hard to sell a player for 25/30m€ these days. Either that or Jorge Mendes gave us (one of his biggest moneymakers) a call telling us Real would want to keep him regardless and we bluffed on the buying clause knowing they'd activate the re-buy for some easy 7.5m. ;)

Real certainly values him at more than 22.5m (or know someone who will, right now) or else they would have not bought him back.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Final games of the Liga2 season are just about finished. Some very tight games underway. Osasuna need another goal to survive and relegate Racing. As things stand Girona get automatic promotion. Zaragoza or Ponferradina could get the last of the promotion play-off places. About 10 minutes to play.

PvsNP

Final games of the Liga2 season are just about finished. Some very tight games underway. Osasuna need another goal to survive and relegate Racing. As things stand Girona get automatic promotion. Zaragoza or Ponferradina could get the last of the promotion play-off places. About 10 minutes to play.
Poor Girona. They conceded in the 90th minute and had a goal disallowed deep into injury time. They'll have to play play-offs now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Big second half goals in some of the Liga 2 games today:

Relegated to the 2B divisions:
Racing
Recreativo
Sabadell
Barcelona B

Promoted to Liga 1:
Betis
Sporting

Girona were winning their match with Lugo until the 88th minute when ("nothing to play for") Lugo got an equaliser. Girona had a goal disallowed in injury time and the ref ended up taking his officials off after the crowd started throwing things. If Girona had won they would have got the automatic promotion slot rather than Sporting.

Zaragoza's draw was just enough to give them the final promotion play-off spot, one point ahead of Ponferradina who also drew.

Play-off teams are:
Girona
Las Palmas
Vallodolid
Zaragoza

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Incidentally from the Girona game. As I said, the ref took the officials off. The crowd thought the match was abandoned and started leaving. The ref then brought the teams back out and finished the game - it ended up 1-1 as I mentioned above.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So I guess Eibar were relegated in the end?
We don't know yet. See https://www.redcafe.net/threads/liga-elche-relegated-for-tax-debt-and-eibar-will-stay-up.405363/
As things stand, Elche are relegated and Eibar stay up. However Elche are still fighting the decision and (according to today's AS) will try to clear their tax debt next week (payment had been scheduled for the end of July). They'll then appeal the relegation verdict in front of TAS. So we may not know the final answer until July.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It makes business sense for Sky and La Liga. The only trouble is those 5:30pm starts United keep getting.

In other Liga news. Betis think that barring any last minute issues, Van der Vaart will sign for them on Monday.
Not sure where I read it, but I recall there being an investigation into match fixing between Barca and depor? Last game of season. Heard anything about that?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not sure where I read it, but I recall there being an investigation into match fixing between Barca and depor? Last game of season. Heard anything about that?
It's a nothing story. The team captain of Deportivo was caught making a comment to Xavi along the lines of, "can you go easy on us," when they were 2-0 down. It ended 2-2 which saved Deportivo, but I can't imagine that kind of throwaway remark hasn't been said in every game since the beginning of time.

It might be true that sub-consciously the Barca players didn't want a bunch of Deportivo players/fans in tears at the end of the match, ruining the party, but that's not a fix.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's a nothing story. The team captain of Deportivo was caught making a comment to Xavi along the lines of, "can you go easy on us," when they were 2-0 down. It ended 2-2 which saved Deportivo, but I can't imagine that kind of throwaway remark hasn't been said in every game since the beginning of time.

It might be true that sub-consciously the Barca players didn't want a bunch of Deportivo players/fans in tears at the end of the match, ruining the party, but that's not a fix.
Aargh thanks jojojo. Much appreciated

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Play-offs (first legs) for the third Liga1 promotion spot:
Valladolid - Las Palmas 1-1
Zaragoza - Girona 0-3

Return legs at the weekend and final matches next week.

Excellent result for Girona who came 3rd in Liga2.

Girona have been around for over 80 years but have never been in Liga 1. If they'd won their final league match they would have got an automatic promotion, but they drew and ended up in the play-offs. So it's impressive to see them psychologically ready for the play-offs.

prarek

Valencia won't stop until they've signed all the Rodrigos in the world. This guy is actually rated pretty highly and is a Brazil uxx international. I wonder if he's a replacement for Otamendi. Plays defensive mid and center back.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Play-offs (first legs) for the third Liga1 promotion spot:
Valladolid - Las Palmas 1-1
Zaragoza - Girona 0-3

Return legs at the weekend and final matches next week.

Excellent result for Girona who came 3rd in Liga2.

Girona have been around for over 80 years but have never been in Liga 1. If they'd won their final league match they would have got an automatic promotion, but they drew and ended up in the play-offs. So it's impressive to see them psychologically ready for the play-offs.
Return legs of the play-offs
Las Palmas 0 - 0 Vallodolid
Girona 1 - 4 Zaragoza (latest score)

Yes, Zaragoza look like they may make the impossible comeback and win on away goals. 7mins injury time (Zaragoza keeper injured) and 3 mins to play.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Wait weren't Atleti meant to be on the verge of signing Caio?

prarek

Mendes swooped in.
At the last minute too and then sells him immediately to another club for a higher price. Very shady. But then i believe he did this with De Gea too just before he signed for us.

Skorenzy

Sid Lowe's annual overview of the Spanish league season. Brilliant read.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jun/20/2014-15-review-la-liga-the-sids

Some extracts,

Most harmonious relationship
The LFP and the RFEF, of course, the bickering pair that couldn’t even agree on how the league table looked, Almería going into the final weeks in the relegation zone according to the RFEF and out of the relegation zone according to the LFP. This was the season in which Javier Tebas, the president of the league, wrote a letter to Ángel María Villar, the president of the federation, complaining that he had called him a “dickhead” in one meeting; the year he publicly accused Villar of being “irresponsible”, “harmful” and acting like “a feudal lord with his castle and his court”; and the year in which he then led the way to a new law that was effectively a palace coup that left the RFEF bemoaning the fact that they had been “run over”. Still, Villar got his own back – by not inviting Tebas to the Spanish Cup final. “I shudder to think whose hands Spanish football is in,” Tebas said. Well, quite.

Best post-match entertainment

Getafe may just be the most realistic club in La Liga, the only first division team with no followers on Twitter and no Twitter at all and the club whose website carries a box that says “get your tickets here”; a box that when you click on it, takes you to a new page ... which is empty. The club, too, whose scoreboard at the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez carries six sponsors: one DYI shop, three car showrooms, one soft drink. And a brothel.

Purplest patch
Torres’s three goals against Madrid and Barcelona, after a combined two and half minutes of the start, was good, but this patch was even purpler. In nominative determinism news, Alberto Bueno (Bertie Good in Spanish) jumped 10 places in the goalscoring charts in 14 minutes one Saturday afternoon in February, overtaking Sergio García, Artiz Aduriz and Nolito as the top-scoring Spaniard thanks to four goals for Rayo Vallecano between 6.23pm and 6.37pm, each greeted with the booming opening bars of the Final Countdown. It was the closest they got to Europe.
:D

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Very happy for Las Palmas,I wanted a Canary island team in first division,besides last year they were really unlucky against Cordoba.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Juan Carlos Valeron back in La Liga, I'll definitely try to catch a few of their games next year :drool: