La Liga 2017/18

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Abelardo is in Alavés. La Real sacked Eusebio and have been some weeks with an interim.
I do not watch Athletic so much to tell you what the problem is, but listening to radio pundits and fans, everyone seems to blame Ziganda.
You need a substitute for Aduriz, someone who can contribute with 10/15 goals (the return of Llorente?, it would be so weird...) and some good signing. There are rumors about Herrera and Yuri
Dammit. I should have known that they beat us last weekend. I am now in denial about this season. I agree about Aduriz, he seemed to keep him on the bench quite a bit away from home, I can see why at his age and he was trying Inaki Williams up front. Llorente could be an option if he has not burnt all his bridges when he left. Herrera is interesting if he doesn't get the contract he wants. Yuri, Is he the one from PSG? I know Ander Capa is joining them for sure.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Dammit. I should have known that they beat us last weekend. I am now in denial about this season. I agree about Aduriz, he seemed to keep him on the bench quite a bit away from home, I can see why at his age and he was trying Inaki Williams up front. Llorente could be an option if he has burnt all his bridges when he left. Herrera is interesting if he doesn't get the contract he wants. Yuri, Is he the one from PSG? I know Ander Capa is joining them for sure.
Herrera would be a good option for 30m€ but I don't see Athletic paying much more and 30m nowadays is nothing for a Premier club.Yes,Yuri is from PSG

DomesticTadpole

Herrera would be a good option for 30m€ but I don't see Athletic paying much more and 30m nowadays is nothing for a Premier club.Yes,Yuri is from PSG
Mikel Merino's name has cropped up a lot. They tried to get him last summer and January. He is stuck on the bench at Newcastle, so they might try again.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
There is a new president in the Spanish football federation, Rubiales, who previously headed the players' union. In his promises there are few concrete things, only one match until quarters in la copa del Rey, keep the Christmas break and promote futsal. It would be great if he could involve big teams in this.Ricardinho deserves to be known.
Not going to be in Spain a lot longer according to the press. He's going to be wearing green and white next season :drool:

Barcelona has a very good futsal team don't they? I always thought it was very popular in Spain and that it didn't need promoting. Is it very popular to play but not very popular to watch?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not going to be in Spain a lot longer according to the press. He's going to be wearing green and white next season :drool:

Barcelona has a very good futsal team don't they? I always thought it was very popular in Spain and that it didn't need promoting. Is it very popular to play but not very popular to watch?
Years ago they televised a game and I have the feeling that the competition was more valued(as handball)I knew many players but lately I am more lost.
Now at the chiringuito they have a section.
Barcelona have a good team but Atlético and Real did not get involved. There are many large cities that do not have teams.
You are lucky, Ricardinho is amazing and a very nice guy for what I've seen in interviews.
An Iberian league with a televised match would be fantastic

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Berizzo is good, I like him,but Garitano has done very well in Leganés, so I think he deserves the opportunity in a bigger team.
That's why he's going to Real Sociedad

@DomesticTadpole :p

Futsal is huge here at amateur level, at least in the north everyone that has played football was basically in a futsal team for a while.

Thing is, like Carvajal said they used to broadcast a game every weekend in public TV, but it was around the noon in weekends, that's not a good window to get viewers. Biggest problem futsal has in Spain to grow media-wise is that it has to compete vs La Liga, and I'd say that football are not interested at all on sharing their pie with futsal, so they'll only get as big as the LFP monster lets them.

DomesticTadpole

Futsal is huge here at amateur level, at least in the north everyone that has played football was basically in a futsal team for a while.

Thing is, like Carvajal said they used to broadcast a game every weekend in public TV, but it was around the noon in weekends, that's not a good window to get viewers. Biggest problem futsal has in Spain to grow media-wise is that it has to compete vs La Liga, and I'd say that football are not interested at all on sharing their pie with futsal, so they'll only get as big as the LFP monster lets them.
:lol::lol::(:(

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

who has not played "el rey de la pista", ten minutes or two goals :D

Samuel5610

Supports
Real Madrid
By your logic, 80% of games played by Real or Barcelona are irrelevant. Jose's 2012 season was pointless as he didn't win the CL. Atletico's league win a few years ago? Minor footnote.
Let me give you a simple example.

Louis Van Gaal won the double (League+Cup) with Barcelona in 1998, we were awful that season in Liga (finishing 5th) and got knocked out of the Copa in the R16 but the ONLY thing people remember 20 years later about that season is how Real Madrid won La Septima against Juve.

Domestic success will always pale in comparison to International success. Everyone knows Real Madrid won 5 consecutive European Cups in the 1950s, but i'm pretty sure no one remembers who won La Liga those years.

Last edited by a moderator:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Let me give you a simple example.

Louis Van Gaal won the double (League+Cup) with Barcelona in 1998, we were awful that season in Liga (finishing 5th) and got knocked out of the Copa in the R16 but the ONLY thing people remember 20 years later about that season is how Real Madrid won La Septima against Juve.

Domestic success will always pale in comparison to International success. Everyone knows Real Madrid won 5 consecutive European Cups in the 1950s, but i'm pretty sure no one remembers who won La Liga those years.
I agree with your point in general, just to clarify, Madrid finished 4th in that season, and just 2 points shy of 2nd place (with better h2h), obviously if there was no CL to play, it'd have easily been a 2nd place finish. On a side note, they went on to win the league the next season... We can't say the same for Pool on both accounts.

Sigma

Isco instead of Bale taken off. I think that points to Isco instead of Bale starting next week.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Must be Madrid's poorest league season in about 15 years points wise.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Real have finished third for the first time since 2014. They will still have a great season if they win the Champions League though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Cazorla will play the preseason with Villarreal. I understand that he will continue if is fit

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
We were great the first half and awful when cris, modric and isco came off. Isco was brilliant, going to be a tough choice between him and an in form Bale for the final.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
We were great the first half and awful when cris, modric and isco came off. Isco was brilliant, going to be a tough choice between him and an in form Bale for the final.
Bale is making it very difficult for Zidane. Who would have said it a few months ago? By fitness both should play and send Benzema to the bench, although it will not happen

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Cazorla will play the preseason with Villarreal. I understand that he will continue if is fit
Good decision for both him and us. Shame that we have never seen him playing for us again. He is what we have missed in the middle.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nice farewell game for Fernando Torres, two goals for Atletico so far.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrible challenge on Dembele... hope he’s ok.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Welcome to La Liga

Edit

Yellow card, and another yellow for Suarez because he argued with the ref.

Last edited:

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Why even make a tackle like that on the last game of the season?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bale is making it very difficult for Zidane. Who would have said it a few months ago? By fitness both should play and send Benzema to the bench, although it will not happen
Obviously you've seen more games from Madrid this season than me and i totally get that for large chunks of the season Benzema wasn't up for it, but in recent weeks, for example the return leg against Munich, Benzema looked good to me. If Madrid line up with either Ronaldo or Bale as the no. 9, they're not as dangerous as with Benzema, they need him as their focal point. An in form Benzema is a great weapon to have, can't see Zidane leaving him out, nor would i put him on the bench.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Iniesta still has it, I'd still pay £60m for him if it would be possible.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Obviously you've seen more games from Madrid this season than me and i totally get that for large chunks of the season Benzema wasn't up for it, but in recent weeks, for example the return leg against Munich, Benzema looked good to me. If Madrid line up with either Ronaldo or Bale as the no. 9, they're not as dangerous as with Benzema, they need him as their focal point. An in form Benzema is a great weapon to have, can't see Zidane leaving him out, nor would i put him on the bench.
On the one hand if Bale plays it would be logical, in the sense of taking advantage of the best moment of form, but if he plays and we lose I will be thinking why we changed our common line-up in the most important game. Cristiano without Benzema is very isolated(against Juve in Bernabéu) and in that sense it would be good that he will play, forgetting what he can contribute individually and focusing on how he would improve Cris.
Actually I have doubts every day, even with Lucas or Asensio + Benzema, especially because I do not know what Klopp's plan is

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aside from Iniesta, amazed any neutral is actually watching this. Barca games at Camp Nou are generally pretty boring. Think Barca only conceded 10 league goals at home all season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Aside from Iniesta, amazed any neutral is actually watching this. Barca games at Camp Nou are generally pretty boring. Think Barca only conceded 10 league goals at home all season.
I was watching it for Iniesta indeed.