La Liga 2018/19

el3mel

What? Valverde's a good manager and has proved that through a fairly extensive career... he's not really suited to manage Barcelona but that doesn't make him a terrible manager.
Opinions. From the football and playing style, he's average and not someone a big club will like to have him around. Good for midtable clubs but his style is everything anti Barca.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Opinions. From the football and playing style, he's average and not someone a big club will like to have him around. Good for midtable clubs but his style is everything anti Barca.
Average and terrible are very different things, everyone has an opinion but calling him terrible is very harsh.

He’s not a Barcelona kind of manager but nearly won the league undefeated in the first season and they’re big favourites to win it again. Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything special at all about him and he’s only had to face a bad Real Madrid and a bad Atlético in the league but he’s done more than enough to not get that sort of criticism imo

el3mel

Average and terrible are very different things, everyone has an opinion but calling him terrible is very harsh.

He’s not a Barcelona kind of manager but nearly won the league undefeated in the first season and they’re big favourites to win it again. Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything special at all about him and he’s only had to face a bad Real Madrid and a bad Atlético in the league but he’s done more than enough to not get that sort of criticism imo
That's why I said for those watching them. Most of their fans aren't happy with him at all despite his domestic success, and I agree his results aren't that bad but it's simply covering the cracks in his style imo which got exposed from time to time, and won't lead to them to any European success, which is the ambition of their fans.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
That's why I said for those watching them. Most of their fans aren't happy with him at all despite his domestic success, and I agree his results aren't that bad but it's simply covering the cracks in his style imo which got exposed from time to time, and won't lead to them to any European success, which is the ambition of their fans.
Valverde is a mid table manager, maybe a very good one but mid table still. Blame for his appointment lies solely on Barcelona board, whomever there actually decided that hiring him is a good idea. You could hardly expect him to refuse and say "I'm not good enough, find someone else".

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

There's some managers that are good, they can thrive in 38 fixtures trophies because they're pragmatical, but it doesn't mean they have what's needed to push when they need to in the important dates.

Valverde reminds me of Emery, they're good in the tactical sense, can manage a dressing room better than 90% of the coaches out there and as long as they have a good squad, they can milk some titles from it.

But they're not winners, when push comes to shove they falter, Emery showed that time and time again with Valencia and PSG, Valverde had the same problem with Espanyol and Athletic, and the leg vs Roma last year was another nail on his future coffin with us. With some coaches a team can lose, but most players look good with the effort done, when a team led by someone like Valverde loses you can see frustration in the players, they know they're being held back like underdogs.

https://www.diez.hn/internacionales...hampions_league-liga_de_campeones-semifinales

A guy that can piss off Iniesta and "convinces" one of the most successful rosters of all time to defend a 4-1 vs Roma is not the kind of manager you want for a Barcelona, Real Madrid or United.

Member 114837

I think that at the moment Coutinho is not what they expected, and Dembele shows a lot of talent but is very erratic. I do not see him developing a long career in Barcelona.
If Barcelona fans expected Coutinho to be a midfield maestro and take Iniesta's place, it is a misjudgment of the highest order in my humble opinion. I have watched Coutinho since he joined Liverpool in January 2013, and he has never given me the impression that he is a ball retainer like a very good central midfielder should be. He has great eye for passes in space but that's it. He lacks the defensive nous and possibly the work rate to thrive as a ball-playing midfielder.

In the so nearly season under Brendan Rodgers, Coutinho played almost always on the tip of the midfield diamond, as the furthest forward AM. He did not have much defensive responsibilities and most of the dirty work was done by Henderson, Liverpool's most influential midfielder that season. Klopp played him on the left wing, where he could cut back inside and try his shooting, which was mostly erratic, though he scored some great goals from there. But defensively he was always a problem, and left too much to do for the left-back (And when that left-back is Moreno, you are asking for trouble).

I honestly believe that Coutinho is best as a wide forward, which is also Dembele's position. And as Coutinho outperformed him last season, Dembele is not getting the required opportunity there. Barca may find a way to play both in an effective set-up, but playing Coutinho in center makes the midfield vulnerable, because he is, ultimately, not a midfielder by traits.

Reactions: Carolina Red

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Barca have a fantastic squad and they should do much better. Its one of the very best in the world, if not the best. Ter Stegen, Umtiti, Lenglet, Semedo, Arthur, Coutinho, Dembele and Malcom are very good talents/players and all under 26. They have their older guard with Messi, Suarez, Pique, Rakitic, Busquets and Alba, who are all still class (with the exception of Pique, who seems to be distracted). Additionally they have useful role-players like Vidal, Rafinha or Sergi Roberto. No team gets the absolute maximum out of every single player, but they have enough quality to match any other team even when a few players are underperforming. Even if you take Messi out of this group of players, they should still compete for all titles with a competent manager. Its also a very balanced squad with options in almost all areas, especially midfield and attack. Its mindboggling that they play such shitty football with all the creativity they have.
Valverde is a good manager for (upper) midtable teams, that have to to grind out wins. Barca needs a manager that unlocks their offensive firepower.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
There's some managers that are good, they can thrive in 38 fixtures trophies because they're pragmatical, but it doesn't mean they have what's needed to push when they need to in the important dates.

Valverde reminds me of Emery, they're good in the tactical sense, can manage a dressing room better than 90% of the coaches out there and as long as they have a good squad, they can milk some titles from it.

But they're not winners, when push comes to shove they falter, Emery showed that time and time again with Valencia and PSG, Valverde had the same problem with Espanyol and Athletic, and the leg vs Roma last year was another nail on his future coffin with us. With some coaches a team can lose, but most players look good with the effort done, when a team led by someone like Valverde loses you can see frustration in the players, they know they're being held back like underdogs.

https://www.diez.hn/internacionales...hampions_league-liga_de_campeones-semifinales

A guy that can piss off Iniesta and "convinces" one of the most successful rosters of all time to defend a 4-1 vs Roma is not the kind of manager you want for a Barcelona, Real Madrid or United.
Is he good tactically? The lack of width was appalling in the Atletico match. He's not proactive enough, too reactionary. He takes forever to make a sub and only changes things when there is ten minutes left and the team is down a goal.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Most Barca fans are quite happy with Coutinho and Dembele. They have been fantastic, just that Dembele needs to show up for training on time.

Not much to complain about with Coutinho. He gives you diminishing returns after 70 minutes but he's great especially against teams who like to park the bus.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Barca have a fantastic squad and they should do much better. Its one of the very best in the world, if not the best. Ter Stegen, Umtiti, Lenglet, Semedo, Arthur, Coutinho, Dembele and Malcom are very good talents/players and all under 26. They have their older guard with Messi, Suarez, Pique, Rakitic, Busquets and Alba, who are all still class (with the exception of Pique, who seems to be distracted). Additionally they have useful role-players like Vidal, Rafinha or Sergi Roberto. No team gets the absolute maximum out of every single player, but they have enough quality to match any other team even a few players are underperforming. Even if you take Messi out of this group of players, they should still compete for all titles with a competent manager. Its also a very balanced squad with options in almost all areas, especially midfield and attack. Its mindboggling that they play such shitty football with all the creativity they have.
Valverde is a good manager for (upper) midtable teams, that has to to grind out wins. Barca needs a manager that unlocks their offensive firepower.
Man City comfortably have a better squad. But I agree with your sentiment. Valverde is the wrong coach for this team. Would've loved to have gotten Sarri.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
La Real got a good chance of making europa this season.

Celta need to actually start their best players, Maxi Gomez and Sisto benched is bizarre. They were awful defensively.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
La Real got a good chance of making europa this season.

Celta need to actually start their best players, Maxi Gomez and Sisto benched is bizarre. They were awful defensively.
They rely too much on Aspas, albeit they look good enough on the paper.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona are adjusting and kind of coasting in the league atm. Soon enough they'll tighten the screws and start blowing teams apart left and right. Away at atletico is always an incredibly tough game for anyone. Look at what they did to Spurs or Inter, or Sevilla.

They'll finish on 90+ points again

Cait Sith

Valverde does a great job. Barca lost Alves, Neymar, Xavi and Iniesta in recent years. Pique, Busquets, Messi, Suarez are past 30.

The squad is unbalanced. Coutinho is not a central midfielder, he works best on the left wing with Arthur in midfield, which leaves no room for Dembélé in the starting lineup who seems to have disciplinary issues anyway.

Then Barca have no elite rightback. Sergi Roberto only ever performs against Madrid. Other than that he is useless.

Messi's positioning also limits Barca tactically. He can't play on the right because he doesn't stay wide offensively or defensively (even bigger problem for Sergi Roberto) but he also can't play in the middle without a striker partner offering the required movement. He is playing like an old school #10 from the 80s era so it's either 4-4-2-ish or 3-4-3.

The problem lies within the fan base, expecting champaign football and CL victory, ignoring all the flaws of the squad and namecalling treble and double winning managers as "frauds". Easily the worst fanbase on the planet. Half of them will become City (or PSG once Guardiola goes there) fans after Messi retires.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Massive win for Rayo in their fight to avoid relegation. Hopefully they can put a good run together from now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Massive win for Rayo in their fight to avoid relegation. Hopefully they can put a good run together from now.
Easy six points coming up for next two league games....Betis and Real Madrid away. :lol: Got a nice run of games after winter break.

Bilbao under so much pressure atm. Sadly for them they can't play Huesca every week.

Ekeke

Sevilla's midfield has to be one of the best performing ones in world football at the moment. Obviously its not quite Manchester City. But the trio of Vazquez, Banega and Sarabia, 3 technical players with Vazquez helping Banega a little bit defensively while Sarabia concentrates on attacking and creative play is working brilliantly for them.

They also have the two attacking wingbacks, Navas and Arana or Escudero on the left. The midfield is jam packed and helps them a lot at both ends of the pitch with 15 shot attempts per game, 4th in La Liga although they do allow 14.5 shots on their own goal. That said they also have the 2nd highest amount of shots blocked with Kjaer having made 17. Gomez and Carrico his CB trio partners are at 8 each in joint 2nd of the team.

Despite Banega and Vasquez making a lot of tackles in CM, Sevilla as a whole make the joint 11th most tackles per game in the league. Middle of the pack. And they make the least interceptions out of all teams in the league to go with that. So despite allowing a fair few shots at their own goal, their CMs are generally harder workers when it comes to winning the ball than most teams. They also give away the joint 3rd most freekicks, so they arent afraid to perform a professional foul to break up play.

Sevilla have the 2nd highest amount of shots from the 6 yard box and 3rd most from the penalty area in the league. Sarabia and Banega put good balls into the box from corners, set pieces or just out wide with Andre Silva having the majority of headed attempts with 8 this season and 1 goal from it. Navas has also put in 13 crosses that led to shots from his right wingback position. These 3 and Vasquez make up Sevilla's creative hub.

Making a good amount of chances for the forward players, Silva has had 37 shots scoring 8 goals, Sarabia has had 31 shots scoring 4 goals and the most clinical Ben Yedder has 6 goals from 25 shots so far this season and Sevilla are joint 2nd highest scorers this season with 25 goals from 13 matches (same as Celta Vigo) behind only Barcelona.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ceballos and Llorente in the team. Kroos rests (I guess) and Isco in the bench

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Valencia are usually tough to break down and their form has been getting better, don't expect this to be easy at all for Madrid.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema almost scored a wondergoal....then managed to somehow not shoot a free header 3 feet from the goal :houllier:

Good thing dani and their defender got it done :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We're actually playing with real intensity and urgency here. Finally. Let's not slow down please

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
We're actually playing with real intensity and urgency here. Finally. Let's not slow down please
The quality up front is not enough. Where is Isco? I have heard there are some rumours that he's going to City in January

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How the hell is Vazquez starting over Isco? I just don't understand.
Isco is less fit than me right now. And i just ate like a really really big steak!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Need less Lucas and more Marcelo, nevermind Isco

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Good first half. I'm happy for Llorente. I did not believe much in him but the other day he played a good match and today too. With Casemiro in front he has it impossible, but at least he has a few minutes to show his level and -if it is the case- an exit, better than Alavés.

Isco does not play for disrespecting Solari. Besides not shaking hands, it is said that he called him "muñeco del presidente" (doll/puppet of the president)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How come Valencia never play Gameiro and Batshuyai together upfront, odd considering they're playing 4-4-2 tonight (I understand it more if they're playing 4-2-3-1).

Too similar? Both expensive signings so pretty costly to have one regularly warming the bench.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
How come Valencia never play Gameiro and Batshuyai together upfront, odd considering they're playing 4-4-2 tonight (I understand it more if they're playing 4-2-3-1).

Too similar? Both expensive signings so pretty costly to have one regularly warming the bench.
Batshuyai is just on a loan and he is bad. Mediocre technique, bad decision making, takes too much time to do anything and doesn't know how to play together with another forward. I am surprised that he gets minutes at all.
Gameiro is a shadow of his former self even so there are some positives. Rodrigo + mina should be their starting duo even so I don't rate them either.