La Liga 2018/19

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Disgusting good from Messi. Still plenty of time for a free kick hatrick as well.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
This thread has a decent overview with estimated totals. They have Zico first, Juninho 3rd and Beckham outside the top-10.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/top-free-kick-takers-of-all-time.1980801/
I knew Juninho and Zico would be high, and I've seen that 79 figure given for the former a few times before. The number for Beckham seems too high to me though. That's not to take anything away from him as he was superb from set pieces, but I just don't recall him scoring that amount. I'd like to see reliable stats.

Anyway...it wouldn't surprise me if Messi finishes near the top of that list by the time he retires. His return from free kicks seems to have gone way up in recent seasons.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Gutted for Espanyol, that's what should have happened to Liverpool earlier :lol:. Why var so slow though, can see on TV offside by 6 inches within 30 seconds.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The 1st post in that thread is so ridicilus :lol:
Ronaldinho 70 goals from fks? :lol::lol::lol:
Yeah, I'd doubt the accuracy of those numbers.

Another player to consider is Ronald Koeman - he was crazily good from set pieces as I recall. Wonder what his total is?

Skorenzy

@GifLord it's the same for Beckham; he had at least 25 free kicks in his time at Utd alone... Add 7 for England that I could find with a quick Google and he's already half way there.
He scored 42 goals for Real Madrid, AC Milan and LA Galaxy; a fair guess that a lot of those would've been free kicks.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord it's the same for Beckham; he had at least 25 free kicks in his time at Utd alone... Add 7 for England that I could find with a quick Google and he's already half way there.
He scored 42 goals for Real Madrid, AC Milan and LA Galaxy; a fair guess that a lot of those would've been free kicks.
65 apparently

Skorenzy

Any idea how many he has for Argentina?
He has 6 for Argentina.

3-1 v Paraguay (H) WCQ (07.09.2012)
3-0 v Uruguay (H) WCQ (12.10.2012)
2-1 v Nigeria (N) World Cup (25.06.2014)
3-0 v Panama (N) Copa América Centenario (10.06.2016)
2-0 v USA (N) Copa América Centenario (21.06.2016)
1-0 v Colombia (H) WCQ (15.11.2016)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If Barca decide to play like they know and be motivated they are still one the best teams in Europe.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I smell a Barça Liga+CL double this season unless they face Juventus (they seem too strong this year for anyone). Or PSG (mainly for Mbappé).
I see some more strong opponents for Barca and for any side in the world. Liverpool and Dortmund are both still unbeaten in the league and have the players to hurt any side on the counter, plus they have two of the best managers in the world.

Man City didn‘t look good today, but with Aguero and De Bruyne back in the side and in form, they remain a huge challenge for any side to overcome. Having the best manager in the world helps with that, although his CL away record is not that great admittedly.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I smell a Barça Liga+CL double this season unless they face Juventus (they seem too strong this year for anyone). Or PSG (mainly for Mbappé).
It's between them for the Champions League. City are still not up for it, seeing their performances in Europe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Problem for Barca is defence still mediocre and CL away games killed you in recent seasons. I just don't think their style works much in knock out of CL anymore, you can't always turn around 3 or 4 goal defecits in Camp Nou.

I think Liverpool if they get through or Man. City would knock them out aswell.

SharpshooterTom

Maradona scored something like 30 FK's for Napoli (25% of all his goals), worth checking that out.

Last edited:

Javi

Odriozola really shaky. The guy looks nervous as hell when he receives the ball and more often than not gets nothing out of possesion. He did assist Bale though, but that's not going to fool me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not watching but are Real Madrid hanging on for dear life or something? You'd think an early goal v Huesca and they could go on to score 3-4 no problem.

SharpshooterTom

Not watching but are Real Madrid hanging on for dear life or something? You'd think an early goal v Huesca and they could go on to score 3-4 no problem.
They're certainly coming under the kosh a little. Time wasting etc. A Huesca goal certainly is on the cards.

Its what happens when you have Benzema as your main goal scoring threat.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah looking at the stats Huesca had more corners and as many shots on target (3 each).

Feels to me when Real Madrid get a run of tough fixtures again they'll be regularly dropping points again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
BTW 5 subs in this half, 2 minutes of injury time. That's one for the poster who was complaining about lack of injury time the other week in Man. United games.

SharpshooterTom

Real Madrid survive, somehow.

Madrid's problem is that they can't score. They conceded a hatful under Zidane, but always had the potential to score 4 or 5.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Did i really watch Real struggling against Eibar? Tell me it was a joke because otherwise it is worrying. They can't survive for much longer.

DavidDeSchmikes

Did i really watch Real struggling against Eibar? Tell me it was a joke because otherwise it is worrying. They can't survive for much longer.
Huesca are bottom of La Liga, with 1 win in 14, the worst defence in La Liga and are 7 seven points off safety. Real are going to go trophyless this season

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Courtois was a great signing for Madrid, has saved them at least 6 points this season.

He was the best player on the pitch tonight

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So i should be really happy i missed the game then