La Liga 2019/20

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Who do you blame at Barca for building that squad...Valverde or that board? I truly believe the board is at blame for building that flawed team. Even though I understand there are better managers that would maybe be able to get more out of that team albeit very little imo, it's obvious they are going after players that don't fit Valverde vision because he doesn't play them. I'm sure Valverde's preference would have been to strengthen other parts of the squad instead of going after some of those useless record transfers that haven't made the team better. Either you keep Valverde and give him players he needs for his vision or get a new manager and make transfers for him. I believe most of the blame should be on that board.

It's been like groundhog day for Barca in CL the last few seasons, it's the same issue over and over. It has nothing to do with tactics or talent imo, it's all about athleticism/speed/stamina/toughness/energy. They keep getting over run and bullied all over the pitch time and time again with no answer. Somehow they keep adding players without addressing their weaknesses.
I didn't say that the current team is flawed. I was just quoting a must have quality of top managers.

I don't believe that the current Barcelona team is flawed. They have added young blood in Arthur and De Jong. Added CF in Griezmann because Suarez will soon decline to a level not good enough. Umtiti, Lenglet and Pique is just a great set of defenders, injuries aside.

These are top quality players and Valverde is to be blamed to not able to get them going. I am not sure how else the team could have been strengthened.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just wish opposition teams could give it a go a bit more against them. I find their matches pretty boring last few years, not with their football but the opposition creates so little v them.

Was great in late 90s/early 00s when so many opposition teams could go to Camp Nou and score 2 or even 3 and so you got the classic matches like Barca-Valencia on last day of 2001.

Odd game last season like Betis going there and scoring 4 and then the 4-4 at Villareal in April which was a brilliant game of football from start to finish.

As we see every year in the CL Barca really aren't that hard to score against.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
We beat a team with Salah, a team with Draxler and a team with De Bruyne, Aguero, Fernandinho, Silva and Kompany on our way to the final, where we bear the team that beat youse

It was a veritable murderer's row!

And a harsh red card for torres, and suarez having a moment and trying to pull Pepe's Casquero move and the refs either not seeing or ignoring it...

What does it say, that you could be in that position while having 3 of the 4 best players on the planet?

And the 4-0 against PSG?

They run over you. Tactics might have been wrong but the issue was one of energy and intensity

That never happened. In fact, without hilarious amounts of sheer dumb luck you might have lost thay game outright, too

Similar story, they run you down and you couldn't cope. At least in this one Messi showed up am created a couple big chances to put the tie away

But again, it was a similar story in the first leg. Copious amounts of luck and Messi got you an undeserved lead. Similar to the Roma tie. Also the big difference with 16/17 was the order of games was reversed
You got mullered by Wolfsburg who are nobodies at Euro level, who then utterly bottled the second leg. Roma are nobodies at Euro level, and by the time you played Man City Pellegrini had lost the plot and knew he was out the door. When we played them the previous year it was earlier and they were the reigning champions of England Then you did indeed beat the world's most famous "Bottle it against Madrid" team, fresh from the 2014 blunder of leaving the back post undefended at a corner, this time ask a centre back instead of a forward to take a penalty and shocker he is the one to miss. Over the course of that season Barca won 4 trophies and won the Clasico head to head comfortably. There's zero doubt in my mind who the better team was that season.

It says that the managers are important, which is the overriding point of this conversation RE Valverde's inability to get the best from the Barca squad and relying on Messi to do everything. Enrique's performances were slowly sliding downwards. But the PSG tie we won, so it's hard to be too harsh with the first leg. Yes, it was a million to one comeback, but it was also extremely rare at that time to lose 4-0 the first time as well. Plus, like I said in 2017 the team wasn't as good, Madrid were better. I believe the first time they have won the league and the CL together in the modern era.

I agree the intensity wasn't there, but again who is in charge of that? Who motivates the players? Who gets them in the right frame of mind to bust a gut, chase every ball, track runners in the 85th minute or whatever?
As for the first leg, we won 4-1 bro. More shots, more possession. Yes, it might have been unfair in the eyes of Roma, but we still had a 3 goal lead, which was the point.

It's largely due to Messi that Barca have kept winning trophies, because Valverde isn't getting the best out of the squad and, like Enrique indeed, there is a visual downward charting in terms of outcomes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It says that the managers are important, which is the overriding point of this conversation RE Valverde's inability to get the best from the Barca squad and relying on Messi to do everything. Enrique's performances were slowly sliding downwards. But the PSG tie we won, so it's hard to be too harsh with the first leg. Yes, it was a million to one comeback, but it was also extremely rare at that time to lose 4-0 the first time as well. Plus, like I said in 2017 the team wasn't as good, Madrid were better. I believe the first time they have won the league and the CL together in the modern era.

I agree the intensity wasn't there, but again who is in charge of that? Who motivates the players? Who gets them in the right frame of mind to bust a gut, chase every ball, track runners in the 85th minute or whatever?
Sure, i'm not defending Valverde

I am pointing out however that the issues you've been having with Valverde were already there in Luis Enrique's final season. In fact, Valverde was doing a significantly better job in his first season than Luis Enrique did in his last, up until the roma debacle

As for the first leg, we won 4-1 bro. More shots, more possession. Yes, it might have been unfair in the eyes of Roma, but we still had a 3 goal lead, which was the point.
Two freak own goals, roma denied a clear penalty with the score still at 0-0(free kick at the edge of the box instead), Ter Stegen pulling off a number of miracles

That game was very close, you quite clearly struggled against them. The point being, it's entirely possible that rather than Barcelona choking in the second leg, it was more of a combination of barcelona having an off day against a team that was quite simply better than them at that point in time

Same story with liverpool. It's disingenous to say that barcelona shouldn't have lost because they had a big advantage from the first leg when both times said advantage was entirely down to luck. Luck turns.

Unless your manager is Zidane

It's largely due to Messi that Barca have kept winning trophies, because Valverde isn't getting the best out of the squad and, like Enrique indeed, there is a visual downward charting in terms of outcomes.
For sure. Long live Nobita

Johnny Love

I didn't say that the current team is flawed. I was just quoting a must have quality of top managers.

I don't believe that the current Barcelona team is flawed. They have added young blood in Arthur and De Jong. Added CF in Griezmann because Suarez will soon decline to a level not good enough. Umtiti, Lenglet and Pique is just a great set of defenders, injuries aside.

These are top quality players and Valverde is to be blamed to not able to get them going. I am not sure how else the team could have been strengthened.
Those are not a great set of defenders please. Pique on the ball is great, as a defender he's weak. Umiti is finished, injuries have taken a toll. Lenglet is a squad player nothing more. As a group they are weak in terms actual defending, marking and very slow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That Real Madrid kit is horrible.

Surely Espanyol have some sort of kit that dosen't have a patch of white in it?

Actually am struggling to tell teams apart than if Madrid were just in White today.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That Real Madrid kit is horrible.

Surely Espanyol have some sort of kit that dosen't have a patch of white in it?

Actually am struggling to tell teams apart than if Madrid were just in White today.
Choice of green kit is meant as a social/political statement pro-green earth apparently

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ter Stegen was quick there. Mallorca with a free header wide after a corner. Ter Stegen quick to take the goal kick and puts Griezmann through who lobs the keeper 1v1. 1-0.

Messi with a Ballon D'or ceremony with his boys before the game. The youngest not ready for this kind of stage and was crying for his momma the poor lad.

wr8_utd

:'(
WHAT a goal from Messi. The guy is in a class of his own for yet another season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Barcelona determined to put the game to bed in the first half so they can stroll through the 2nd half.

wr8_utd

It's only Mallorca but this has been an amazing performance. It could have been 6 already.

wr8_utd

Mallorca pull one back with a deflection. This game should long be over and yet, it's just a goal in it now.

wr8_utd

Hahahaha. This is just ludicrous now. Another goal curled into the corner from outside the box.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is unstoppable.

The gap between him and whoever's the 2nd best atm is GIGANTIC.

wr8_utd

Suarez. Wowwwww
That is the best team goal you'll see all year. Just. Wow

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This game is ridiculous, Suarez's backheel was just filthy.