La Liga 2019/20

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't get Valverde. He has a great selection of players and yet against the slightest quality opposition it reverts back to, "Please bail me out, Messi".
Messi has done nothing this match. I honestly forgot he was playing about 30 minutes in.

When the opposition is playing football and the Barca midfield isn't working overtime they're gonna have a tough time defending since they don't exactly get big defensive contributions from the front 3.

Sjaakmeoff

Think if he let go he wouldn't have given it
You might be right. But still.

I don't get Valverde. He has a great selection of players and yet against the slightest quality opposition it reverts back to, "Please bail me out, Messi".
The guy has no idea. Changes his midfield every other game. Depends completely on brilliant moments of his players.

izec

Griezmann with the sexy chips/dinks over the keeper in the last few games, wonder where he got that from :)

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Messi has done nothing this match. I honestly forgot he was playing about 30 minutes in.

When the opposition is playing football and the Barca midfield isn't working overtime they're gonna have a tough time defending since they don't exactly get big defensive contributions from the front 3.
Suarez is a monster pressing, and Griezmann has been criticized because he spends more time helping at defense than at attack, at worst, only Suarez and Messi get a pass defending without the ball, but Suarez still likes to press.

Our problem in days like this is that Busquets legs are long gone, if he gets overloaded he's a liability since he can only scrape by thanks to positional defense, and Alba gets bullied and beaten by any player that wants to take him on, his only good defensive trait are his back runs, and as he gets older, he becomes worse at it.

Defensively we're a better team with Semedo/Firpo as LB, De Jong and Rakitic/Vidal, everything beyond that is not at the level this team requires.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Busquets is still excellent on the ball against teams that don't press aggressively, like real sociedad

Problem for barca is they're pressing half-heartedly, with only 2-3 players and leaving a lot of space between the lines. Can't do that against a team as technical as this

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Barca to me simply can't impose their game on opposition away from Camp Nou much these days.

All those CL big defeats in last few seasons and in league this year they've already lost in Bilbao, Granada, Valencia (Levante) and drawn at Osasuna. Could easily draw/lose today and were pretty lucky to win at Atletico Madrid.

Ultimately the aura they have at Camp Nou means they'll always win 90% of league games there to give them a great chance of winning the league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barca to me simply can't impose their game on opposition away from Camp Nou much these days.

All those CL big defeats in last few seasons and in league this year they've already lost in Bilbao, Granada, Valencia (Levante) and drawn at Osasuna. Could easily draw/lose today and were pretty lucky to win at Atletico Madrid.

Ultimately the aura they have at Camp Nou means they'll always win 90% of league games there to give them a great chance of winning the league.
They have one loss, one draw(at home to slavia prague) and all wins since October. Basically once they got healthy and fit and the new guys settled in, they had two bad results in more than two months

Snow

Suarez is a monster pressing, and Griezmann has been criticized because he spends more time helping at defense than at attack, at worst, only Suarez and Messi get a pass defending without the ball, but Suarez still likes to press.

Our problem in days like this is that Busquets legs are long gone, if he gets overloaded he's a liability since he can only scrape by thanks to positional defense, and Alba gets bullied and beaten by any player that wants to take him on, his only good defensive trait are his back runs, and as he gets older, he becomes worse at it.

Defensively we're a better team with Semedo/Firpo as LB, De Jong and Rakitic/Vidal, everything beyond that is not at the level this team requires.
Suarez is a good presser but with age he's not as good as it and there's also a gap between midfield and front 3 so the pressing isn't really there. Last season the pressing was higher but not good enough and it left the defense exposed quite often.

There are just tactical sacrifices you have to make when you can't account for all of your 10 outfield players to do defensive work.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Odegaard is a serious player. Wish we weren’t so obsessed with Sancho and bagged him.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Soft pen for Real, no pen for us for an even worse action.

Thanks VAR, seems we're not allowed to lead the table before facing Real Madrid

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Pen for them was clearcut. This one i'm not sure. Looked like they held each other. If not it should have been penalty

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Busquets was only the shirt for around 5 seconds, he hasn't stopped, you clearly can give this pen.

now before the end, Pique was holding the opponent down, so something completely different.

van Hooijdonk

Not a good game for Barca definitely. But that on Pique could've been penalty, for sure.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Pen for them was clearcut. This one i'm not sure. Looked like they held each other. If not it should have been penalty
Busquets was only the shirt for around 5 seconds, he hasn't stopped, you clearly can give this pen.

now before the end, Pique was holding the opponent down, so something completely different.
Same as Real Sociedad penalty

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It isn't though, real player is trying to disentangle from Busquets, jumps, and Busquets is still holding him through after real player has his hands in the air

And it happens right under the refs nose

The Pique one, again, none of the replays show whether Pique is holding/pulling/pushing on the defender or not. It seems like he's holding all the way down, and especially at the beginning, which is why the defender falls off balance

Still, sure, it might have well been the same thing. In which case it should have been a penalty, too

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Looking at it live, paying attention to pique, it looks like a penalty to me

@Ishdalar has a point, looks the exact same dynamic :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They have one loss, one draw(at home to slavia prague) and all wins since October. Basically once they got healthy and fit and the new guys settled in, they had two bad results in more than two months
Yes most of those have been at home where they still have the aura...away they were very lucky to beat Leganes and Atletico away and lost to Levante poorly. 3-0 at Eibar was good but they're having a poor season at the back and Real Madrid won there 4-0 a few weeks ago.

Mind you I'm still of the mindset where Barca and Madrid getting less than 90 points is below par....symptom of that period between 2009-13 when it was just a procession up to that figure for the two of them.

Barca still got loads of difficult aways to play anyway....got Valencia, Betis and Real Madrid in six week period after new year so can see them dropping many more points on the road and not win the league.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Deportivo already losing 2-0, they couldn´t even resist 10 minutes against Ponferradina. What a disaster.
I couldn´t watch the match but had the feeling that Barça would lose points. Hopefully we can now win at Mestalla

PepG

Supports
Ajax
2 very important games ahead for Zidane. 2 wins and the La liga title this season will be a real possibility..

always_hoping

Real Madrid will be top with a win tomorrow. Zidane showing once more he has the ability to turn things around.

Snow

Oblak has looked nervy this season. Many Atlético players have that lack of confidence look about their play.

Paul_Scholes18

I think real will win it this season. Barcelona away from home are just conceding far too many chances. Messi can't always save them.
Although Messi has been a GOD in El classic before so they may win but both of them.

Snow

I dislike Morata. He's simply not a good player, I don't like his character either. A wasteful striker that seemingly can only score when offside.

Snow

Of course the bastard scores now, albeit with his head. More of a headballer than a footballer. Atlético deservedly take the lead after being so wasteful.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would love to see of all Simeone's games in charge how many have been 0-0 at half time.