La Liga 2019/20

SharpshooterTom

Still think Barcelona will win the league. Messi will finish top scorer and then it will be an excuse to hand him another Ballon d'Or, certainly if he backs it up with a Copa America win this summer.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It is too soon to say what is going to happen. Zidane has made Madrid very tight defensively and counts on a bunch of experienced players with quality, especially in midfield, but I feel the team is a little bit short upfront. It just doesn't make sense to base the attack on Rodrygo or Vinicius just to name a couple of players. I just cannot believe how this team is getting the results without Hazard, so credit has to go to the coach.

As for Barcelona, Suarez's injury completely changes the situation. It is early to judge Quique Setien but unfortunately for him he doesn't have much time left since his appointment was mostly made to force the team to react. Otherwise they would have kept Valverde until the end of the season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Still think Barcelona will win the league. Messi will finish top scorer and then it will be an excuse to hand him another Ballon d'Or, certainly if he backs it up with a Copa America win this summer.
I don’t think we win the league, but I don’t think we would’ve won it under Valverde either

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Barca playing with a pulse and a creative lineup from Setien, nice

RoyH1

:lol:
Yes, the best Madrid in defense from 1989 I think, but probably thanks to Mendy, Varane and Carvajal :D
Mendy has been fantastic when on the pitch. After years of Marcelo's mad forward runs, they might finally have someone who will provide some defensive solidity.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Mendy has been fantastic when on the pitch. After years of Marcelo's mad forward runs, they might finally have someone who will provide some defensive solidity.
Yes, he is doing very well. At the beginning of the preseason I got a little scared but has been gaining confidence.
Also - I don't know if because he is a "Zidane player" - he seems to be very committed, focused. That is, with the feeling that he will not fail the coach because of intensity or effort.
When he attacks and controls the ball he looks like a train derailing. With more calm he could even score some goal
Besides he should improve the crosses, which I think is his weak point.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The funny thing about Real's defensive record is that Madrid are actually an attacking side. Zidane is doing fantastic job there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The funny thing about Real's defensive record is that Madrid are actually an attacking side. Zidane is doing fantastic job there.
We're actually not that good at it. We are very very good at defending when all of Sergio, Mendy, Case and Valverde play

In attack, well, we're waiting for Hazard...in the meantime, Vini is our only threat - when he plays...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's all take a minute to thank Atletico Madrid's board for failing to sign Cavani :D

Not that it will matter saturday when Morata scores a brace, but still. Their forwards are the whole reason they're 5th instead of 1st right now

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It is too soon to say what is going to happen. Zidane has made Madrid very tight defensively and counts on a bunch of experienced players with quality, especially in midfield, but I feel the team is a little bit short upfront. It just doesn't make sense to base the attack on Rodrygo or Vinicius just to name a couple of players. I just cannot believe how this team is getting the results without Hazard, so credit has to go to the coach.

As for Barcelona, Suarez's injury completely changes the situation. It is early to judge Quique Setien but unfortunately for him he doesn't have much time left since his appointment was mostly made to force the team to react. Otherwise they would have kept Valverde until the end of the season.
Getting results without Hazard and Bale, will be interesting to see if the defensive record suffers when these players are bought back in to the team. At Chelsea the coaches always had to make special provisions with Hazard as offers nothing in terms of defensive cover.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Getting results without Hazard and Bale, will be interesting to see if the defensive record suffers when these players are bought back in to the team. At Chelsea the coaches always had to make special provisions with Hazard as offers nothing in terms of defensive cover.
Hazard works his arse off defensively for us

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mirandes were brilliant last night v Sevilla, constantly killing them on the counter attack. Another winnable home tie for them.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Kroos has been doing the same short corner routine for years and it still manages to deceive teams somehow, it's mental.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Kroos has been doing the same short corner routine for years and it still manages to deceive teams somehow, it's mental.
Same with Liverpool and their near post runs. Most teams just have their default defensive set pieces routine and don't prepare specially against their opponent.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Jesus, this has been an awful game. Plenty of easy passes being misplaced and there's no quality upfront for either side.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This lineup struggled against them in the supercup. Unsurprisingly it's struggling today

I don't get it

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Jesus, this has been an awful game. Plenty of easy passes being misplaced and there's no quality upfront for either side.
Still better than that dross they served up in September, though admittedly that isn't saying much.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Lucas Vazquez and Vinicius warming up at HT. Not normal from Zidane to order players to warm up after 45 minutes.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Wow, Isco and Kross off, Vinicius and Lucas on. What a drastic change.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Zidane has to be the best manager ever at adapting the team halfway through a game.

This team needs Hazard so badly it's incredible though. No clue how they've been winning games with this attack and these performances but they always seem to find way regardless of how they're playing. The likes of Casemiro, Varane and Nacho getting important goals has carried them through this period.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It should have been second yellow for Felipe there.