La Liga 2019/20

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That's as embarassing of a call as I've seen with VAR, refs have been keeping Barca in the title race.

Madrid should be livid with the refereeing in La Liga

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
That doesn't count as offside though, clearly. He's not involved until the Sociedad player heads the ball to him.

Happy to take that win, but those kind of handball decisions I've always hated. VAR is creating more stupid handball pens rather than less, and refs have always been too fond of giving penalties for handball even though they were supposed to be deliberate handballs. Refs just listen to the players too often I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At least the second goal is correctly called off.

Very hard fought win for Barca that but Real Sociedad are a very good team this season.

Ultimately have to look at what Barca have left away. They usually struggle v Villareal and Celta Vigo don't they? Sevilla away won't be easy either. Real Madrid still got to go to both Basque teams although they tend to be more vulnerable dropping points at home.

It will go to the final day. No idea which will be out in front on last day.

RoyH1

Refs keeping Barcelona in the running here. Vidal was offside on that play. And Madrid has not been given 2 penalties this season in similar involuntary handball situations.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
That's as embarassing of a call as I've seen with VAR, refs have been keeping Barca in the title race.

I missed it. What happened?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The handball call is understandable tbf. I disagree with it but the way they've been calling it in Europe it's acceptable.

They can't miss that offside call on Vidal though

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

If Vidal wasn't in that position they would have let the ball run out to have a goal kick, instead as there is a player there for the ball they try to clear it. That's why he wasn't considered offside. Didn't interfere with the play either.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Ramos is not involved.Nothing to see here
why not show the full sequence where Messi made a full sprint to win the ball back? Trying to make an accident look like he tried to intentionally stamp on him :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
why not show the full sequence where Messi made a full sprint to win the ball back? Trying to make an accident look like he tried to intentionally stamp on him :lol:
I mean a taunt because of the double standards that are sometimes among fans/press with players and Var.
Such as those who asked a red for Ramos in Pamplona against Osasuna but do not see the same in this.
I guess he didn't want to step on him intentionally but the cleats are in the leg.
Whether he sprints or not is irrelevant to the yellow/red card.
Last year it was the same with Granero.
Meanwhile Modric had red against Celta with the intervention of Var(I know that the rule is different with the heel).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Betis-Real Madrid coming up.

Another season of underachievement for Real Betis really. Tonight they have in their line up Barta, Guardardo, Canales, Joaquin still going strong and Fekir.

5 points above the relegation zone. Leganes winning at Villareall and Mallorca won a couple recently so they have to be very careful.

Always found Rubi a bit of a mediocre coach at the top level so couldn't really understand why they got him in to replace Setien.

That said over 2-3 seasons they have shown they can peak v Real Madrid or Barca with the technical quality in their 11 (bit of a poorer man's Wolves) so will be a good watch.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ramos and Benzema gifted the two goals this match. Betis looked up for it since kick-off and are deservedly ahead.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ramos and Benzema gifted the two goals this match. Betis looked up for it since kick-off and are deservedly ahead.

Yup well deserved result for Betis, comfortably the better team today.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
All the wailing and gnashing of teeth around the Clasico, and things literally go back to the way they were the very next game. :S

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As I've said before kick off with their line up (William Carvalho also there but missing tonight) Betis should be fighting for europa not in bottom half.

They have similar ability to Wolves to peak v the better teams with the technical quality in their midfield.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
As I've said before kick off with their line up (William Carvalho also there but missing tonight) Betis should be fighting for europa not in bottom half.

They have similar ability to Wolves to peak v the better teams with the technical quality in their midfield.
You were spot on

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought Madrid might find some real momentum after beating Barcelona. What's their issue then? Still not enough players in their prime - too many over the hill/developing players? What do you their fans make of Zidane this season ? @Vato @giorno

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Barca are on course for 81 points. Any good competition should be winning the league.

If Madrid don't turn it around against City and manage to lose the title against this Barca then it would be a disaster and Zidane will 100% be gone at the end of the season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Barca are on course for 81 points. Any good competition should be winning the league.

If Madrid don't turn it around against City and manage to lose the title against this Barca then it would be a disaster and Zidane will 100% be gone at the end of the season.
We will probably drop points to atletico

We didn’t even have Messi to start the first two months of the season and lost Suarez for nearly half the season. Would be stunned if we somehow pull it off

La liga is woeful this year

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I thought Madrid might find some real momentum after beating Barcelona. What's their issue then? Still not enough players in their prime - too many over the hill/developing players? What do you their fans make of Zidane this season ? @Vato @giorno
Nah, we didn't show up yesterday. Unforgivable performance

Beobachter

These have to be the most underwhelming Barca and Madrid teams in recent memory. Pity that there's no third horse strong or consistent enough to pip them to the title, the past versions of prime Atletico, Valencia, or Sevilla (the late 2000s team with Alves, Kanoute, Fabiano, and Renato was my personal favorite) could've win it this year.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
From next weekend until 4th of April Primera and Segunda will be played behind closed doors

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
No idea, I haven't really been following too much lately. Zidane is a good guy though, if it was up to me he'd get a 10 year contract.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
All competitions below the second level suspended, players union asking for the same for the top 2 leagues, FA should be meeting soon to decide whether to go through behind closed doors or not.

They won't, in case this was in doubt

SharpshooterTom

Think there's a good chance the season will be voided in Spain. Cases rising over 1000 per day, its clear Spains going the way of Italy.

The crisis is not going to be solved in 6 weeks, I think we're waiting till at least July/August until things improve at the earliest. Will be lucky to get even the new season started let alone finishing this one.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Great manager for Atleti in the mid 90s, won the double in 1996 which was some acheivement.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
So sad, despite his illness he continued working for many months.
A very nice guy, with a very infectious laugh and appreciated by everyone :(

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've heard El Dia despues mentioned before. I always thought it was just a Match of the day style show of simply match highlights, reaction and then dreary punditry but seems it wasn't like that, more a fan style show that was a great vision of Michael Robinson.

Obviously the Spanish based guys on here can give a much better description of it. Seems it's still going and Santiago Canizares hosts it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I've heard El Dia despues mentioned before. I always thought it was just a Match of the day style show of simply match highlights, reaction and then dreary punditry but seems it wasn't like that, more a fan style show that was a great vision of Michael Robinson.

Obviously the Spanish based guys on here can give a much better description of it. Seems it's still going and Santiago Canizares hosts it.
I think they recovered the name of the program years later, but the known one, with some variation were Pedrerol (el chiringuito), Maldini (international football) and Robinson, who spoke some tactics and a very funny part of the program recording people in the stands or footballers.
He was also the cover of Pcfutbol, something like football manager, which was very popular.
After that he was also a commentator on Sunday games for many years.