La Liga 2020/21

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They outplayed us. With 10 men for almost all the game because of that madman raul garcia, and still

Saint Courtois saves it and then karim ends it. Feeewwwww
Honestly, that Real Madrid team is in dire need of a midfielder who can capably defend. Outside of Casemiro, they have no one else.

However, I wouldn't necessarily say that they outplayed you. Athletic Club de Bilbao weren't too bad and were somewhat threatening going forward, but despite their good moments, Real Madrid created several chances from wide areas and were a constant threat. The subs didn't necessarily play a huge part, but Isco at least helped to build the ball up and maintain Real Madrid's attacking threat (even if he contributed little to nothing defensively).

At the end, 3 points are all that matter, and these were a huge 3 points for Real Madrid.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pity athletic don't have prime Aduritz and Guerrero now. The team is really good, the defenders are all top, they have good midfielders, they're just awful up top

They need to find a way to steal Oyarzabal from Real Sociedad :lol:
Inaki Williams no good anymore? Was being hyped up on here a while ago but didn't think he had enough about him to be an effective striker in possession based team.

Bilbao aren't that great, lost at home to Celta and 9 man Cadiz already this season so probably lower mid table for them as Garitano's methods are wearing off a bit now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It all comes down to the fact the attackers are mediocre, and so they have to compensate for it

Inaki is a decent player, but he's no goalscorer

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Only just saw the highlights from the R Madrid game yesterday....

Carvajal nails Williams from behind right at the start of the game, surely that is a penalty and a red as no attempt to play the ball. WTF is VAR ?

Then we have the ludicrous Garcia red card in the 14th minute, from google commentary:

"RED CARD! Wow that seems harsh. Raul Garcia's game is over after just 14 minutes after he is booked for another challenge on Kroos. Neither seemed overly cynical nor were they committed in a dangerous area."
Surely no one vaguely neutral is buying this tripe... Ludicrous as bad as our Football. Didn't bother watching after that as obvious what the result was going to be.

Watch it for yourself:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes yes, you hate real madrid, we know

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Comfortably Barca’s best first half of a game of the season. Wow, nice to us play with intensity against a solid side. Hopefully this team can build on that. Nice to see the 4-3-3 back as opposed to the 4-2-3-1. Shame the second half our levels dropped so much.

de Jong and messi were superb today. As were alba and Pedri.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh Antonie you had such nice hair now why have you done this?

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Hope the Real loss doesn't mean Simeone reverts back to old ways like he's been doing since the 16-17 season, always causing a limited ceiling imo.
And dang it's nice to have Vrsaljko back, if the injuries didn't ruin him too much he could still be our best RB, although as RWB Trippier probably adds so much more.
But his injury track record scares me... At least the third RB was decent (against a 4th division team....) during his debut.

The game against Real showed one thing though, that we need to get in Kondogbia to replace Herrera as soon as possible. Herrera is very good with space, but against high pressure/high quality opposition I do not trust him at all. I was beginning to like him, but now I'm reminded why I hoped to lose him over Thomas, when I just began to think losing possibly my favorite at Atleti didn't have to be too bad. But so far, Kondogbia shows to really add something we didn't have before. Even Torreira seems promising, so all we need to do is get rid of Herrera and we've got a nice CM set of Koke, Kondogbia, Torreira and Saúl.

And man, Lemar hitting form is such a pleasant change this season. He seems so nice and sad, so to see him struggle was so sad. Plus to see Correa gaining composure, but also his happiness for Lemar (and Atleti) is so nice to see. Think Vitolo's chances are pretty much up, though. I still have hopes for Costa, but he probably needs to be changed for long term prospects, especially with everybody else showing much better stats. But I kind of like the calmed down way of playing he shows, almost like more of a playmaker, kind of like back when Falcao and Adrian were still here, but less winger like. Remembering his transitions is kinda funny. Man, he was actually so so good in 12-13, the season before his goalscoring 13-14.

I have no idea why I started to reflect on almost the entire front half of squad. Guess it's been a while since I did something like that.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Reactions: Invictus

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Barca losing. Been flat so far after a couple of good results.

Just had a look at their bench and it's pretty stacked. Umtiti, Lenglet, De Jong and Pjanic (hardly seems to have started a game for them so far) so just need a striker in next window and that's decent strength in depth.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Griezmann on the right is so bad. What was the purpose of signing him anyway? Messi backup? He normally plays in the same role as Messi. I feel like it was a random signing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who on earth was marking Diakhaty there. :lol: Free header from 6 yard box.

Valencia seem one of the few who have a good recent record at Camp Nou bar that 7-0 when Neville was briefly managing them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Downgraded to yellow, penalty still stands. Looked a bit of a dive.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Messi misses but heads in follow up cross, may be offside...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very tight but given as he breaks the record....Brilliant save and perfect example of how keeper can dive with still one foot covering the line.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
you can't take this serious, if are you aren't taking this pen back with VAR.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I guess he believes griezmann was tripped by the coming together of legs there...

Only possible explanation for what happened

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Between this and the penalty for atletico earlier :houllier:

Spanish refs are a farce

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Knew Valencia would get back to 2-2 after that Braithwaite header that Domenech somehow saved.

Yes I've got Barca in my Saturday acca. Should've known better with their form this season. :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Griezmann is shockingly bad. The confidence of this season's Martial, the consistency of this season's Pogba, the finishing of this season's Greenwood.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Barca are in shambles defensively, despite all of the Koeman's cowardly tactics..its really ironic,isn't it..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Big day for football as barcelona and valencia decided to play their game while completely blind-drunk. The result was highly entertaining and points the way forward

Also messi is a freak even drunk

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Villareal 2 up, said it before but fantastic squad building from them. Asenjo, Raul Albiol, Pau Torres, Mario lovely set of defenders then they picked up Coquelin and Parejo from Valencia to boost midfield and Gerrard, Bacca, Paco Alacer, Chukeweze and Kubo is strong set of finishers and counter attackers.

Certain top 4 finishers imo. Good move for Emery to come back in to rehabilitate himself.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I guess he believes griezmann was tripped by the coming together of legs there...

Only possible explanation for what happened
Confirmed by Gaya. Ref gave the penalty for the supposed push, hence the red. When he sees the images he sees that there's no push, but thinks there's contact between the legs, enough for a penalty

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid assembly, Florentino talking about the superliga between the lines: ""Everyone is calling for a reshaping of the global competitive landscape. There's saturation and the fans, who are the most important, suffer."
"Real Madrid were there for the foundation of FIFA and the European Cup. Now, the current model needs a boost, as the impact that COVID-19 has had has shown this. We need a new boost and Real Madrid will be there for it."
https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2020/12/20/5fdf29d4e2704e09528b45cd.html
The new budget will be 617m€,instead 900.
An overwhelming majority in favor of Florentino in each vote, there is no opposition of any kind

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
@giorno

What you think about Betis this season? Given our Brighton debate earlier Betis remind me of them a bit.

Bartra, Emerson, William Carvalho and Nabil Fakir yet losing again due to lack of decent striker and Robles is pretty average in goal.

Just 2 wins from their last 9 and 3 points off relegation zone so possibly Pellegrini snoozing on the job again like last year at West Ham.

Granada by contrast are a very well coached team from back to front.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're a fairly average side, will look good one game then bad the next

They do have issues with finishing, though the gk on the other hand as been good. Opponents just shooting really well against them

Don't think it'a unfair to say most of the blame lies with Pellegrini, but then again they *do* lack good strikers. Honestly the team is overrated, they don't have anymore quality than the other middle-of-the-pack sides

Last edited: