La Liga 2020/21

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
vinicius is a poor finisher and I question his decision making a lot. However, there is no doubt the talent is there
Vini is progressing a lot, and although he continues to make unforgivable mistakes, he looks much calmer in front of the goal.
Rodrygo however seems to have stalled a bit (since that hattrick in the Champions League).
Sometimes unnoticed in games, or very shy in 1v1.
Too manny passes back, or zero risk in easy situations.
In recent months he has built up a lot so we will see if there is some change.

I would like to see him closer to the goal, even as a forward
I agree with the previous two posters. Vinicius has to mature (for the lack of a better word) quite a bit. He had some great moments but often dwelled on the ball or fluffed it. He scored two goals in the last two games, so maybe thats him taking the next step. I havn't seen much from Rodrygo, but at time I thought he might be best as CF. Maybe I am totally wrong about that. They are both young and certainly talented, but having to rely on them consistently might come a bit early. Real would be in great shape if one or both kick on. I am less convinced about Asensio. He is a useful player to have, but I am not sure he is more than a good squad player for Real.
I fully agree with you all; they can't be relied on to deliver the goods immediately. However, I was highlighting the fact that Real Madrid would be able to move on from someone like Hazard relatively easily. Both Vinicius and Rodrygo are still quite young and can refine their game further. Vinicius is further ahead, but even he has some way to go. Still, getting in players of that calibre earlier on improves their position when it comes to eventually replacing Hazard. They just need to worry about replacing Benzema when it comes to the attack (possibly Mbappe).

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I fully agree with you all; they can't be relied on to deliver the goods immediately. However, I was highlighting the fact that Real Madrid would be able to move on from someone like Hazard relatively easily. Both Vinicius and Rodrygo are still quite young and can refine their game further. Vinicius is further ahead, but even he has some way to go. Still, getting in players of that calibre earlier on improves their position when it comes to eventually replacing Hazard. They just need to worry about replacing Benzema when it comes to the attack (possibly Mbappe).
fair point, plus during a time when many many teams are posting a loss Madrid should have a healthy transfer budget next summer for mbappe or whoever else they decide to go for

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean *not* necessarily. We needed the money this season both to counter COVID as well as to balance out last season, where we really got screwed by COVID because of the massive outlay in new transfers. If stadiums remain closed next season we'll pretty much have to send Vinicius and Rodrygo to PSG if we want Mbappé...

Last edited:

cyberman

I mean necessarily. We needed the money this season both to counter COVID as well as to balance out last season, where we really got screwed by COVID because of the massive outlay in new transfers. If stadiums remain closed next season we'll pretty much have to send Vinicius and Rodrygo to PSG if we want Mbappé...
Impossible. We were told all top clubs would be after Sancho and create a bidding war.
Nice bluff though.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I mean *not* necessarily. We needed the money this season both to counter COVID as well as to balance out last season, where we really got screwed by COVID because of the massive outlay in new transfers. If stadiums remain closed next season we'll pretty much have to send Vinicius and Rodrygo to PSG if we want Mbappé...
Mbappé will finish his contract and then move to Madrid on a free.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
An interview with the economic manager of Laporta in the last elections.
He says that the economic situation is very bad, and that they do not have money to pay payroll or providers.
He says that the big problem is the great short-term debt and values two solutions:
Conversion to a public limited company, or the arrival of an investment fund, with which the "socio" would only keep 30 or 40% of the club

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
An interview with the economic manager of Laporta in the last elections.
He says that the economic situation is very bad, and that they do not have money to pay payroll or providers.
He says that the big problem is the great short-term debt and values two solutions:
Conversion to a public limited company, or the arrival of an investment fund, with which the "socio" would only keep 30 or 40% of the club
If that's true that's huge and Nobita will have to relocate his family somewhere people don't follow football....

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If that's true that's huge and Nobita will have to relocate his family somewhere people don't follow football....
Surely there is a lot of truth, and for better or for worse they are condemned to depend on the Masía for quite some time

baywatchfan

How did Luis Suarez manage to gain so much weight in just less than 2 weeks? I was watching Ecuador vs Uruguay last night and he looked almost like the Brazilian Ronaldo at the end of his career :eek: It's really strange because seeing him in his first two matches for Atletico, I was actually surprised how fit, sharp and determined he looked back then. It's kinda sad really but apparently Barca was everything for him and now he just won't have the motivation anymore.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
"Zidane wanted me to stay. I think the club listened to him and that´s why they wanted to take out Jovic. Everything was done very late, but at the end I called Zidane's office again and told him if he could let me go"

A little unnecessary statement, but the point is that Zidane puzzles me so much...
Apparently Jovic was his request. What is the problem with Jovic to prefer Mayoral ?

United Junkie

"Zidane wanted me to stay. I think the club listened to him and that´s why they wanted to take out Jovic. Everything was done very late, but at the end I called Zidane's office again and told him if he could let me go"

A little unnecessary statement, but the point is that Zidane puzzles me so much...
Apparently Jovic was his request. What is the problem with Jovic to prefer Mayoral ?
Same here. It's very weird. His buys lately havent really panned out for him. Hazard, Jovic are really let downs. Especially Hazard but we will have to wait. He might come good in the long term.But they wasted 60 million euros on Jovic without really even using him. Such a waste of money. Perez might have to step in too reign in Zidane's spending spree.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
How did Luis Suarez manage to gain so much weight in just less than 2 weeks? I was watching Ecuador vs Uruguay last night and he looked almost like the Brazilian Ronaldo at the end of his career :eek: It's really strange because seeing him in his first two matches for Atletico, I was actually surprised how fit, sharp and determined he looked back then. It's kinda sad really but apparently Barca was everything for him and now he just won't have the motivation anymore.
He was obviously overweight very often at Barcelona too, it didn't start now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great result for Cadiz! They’ve had a great start

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
One of the worst Madrid matches I have seen in a long long time

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bring on the only competition that matters this season

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's the deal with them continually playing at their training ground? I know Bernabeu was having some work done but surely finished by now?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like Barca going to be a points sieve whenever they play anyone defensively competent.

La Liga has a feel of late 90s again, going to be pretty open at top.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Dire performance. Although as usual Spanish refereeing does its best to frustrate and annoy.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Looks like Barca going to be a points sieve whenever they play anyone defensively competent.

La Liga has a feel of late 90s again, going to be pretty open at top.
I think I haven't seen Liga that weak for 20 years. Seems that no top team has a real idea of where they're going in their semi rebuilding process. It sure going to be interesting though but I doubt any team goes far in C1.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Dire performance. Although as usual Spanish refereeing does its best to frustrate and annoy.
yes, atrocious from the refs, some classic shithousing from Getafe, but we did not play well, period.

And Griezmann, it’s over. He needs to be benched. Would like to see more Puig as well.

Pep's Suit

Still starting Busquets and two of the worst signings ever made in front of him. La Liga's so much weaker so you'd still expect Barca to finish in Top3 but damn they're poooor.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Suarez was good for LaLiga but awful in the knockout stages of the UCL (at least in away games). But Griezmann is mostly useless for any competition.

Barca will struggle this season against defensive teams (especially Coutinho) + incompetent referee (not necessarily both at the same time).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At least another two years.
Really? I thought they were just putting a new roof on (or that might've been the last redevelopment a few years back). Will have to go and look at plans. Can remember the Camp Nou redevelopment plans a while back but assume that's been shelved for now.

Raredaredevil

Can't remember the last time La Liga has become so competitive. These days, it seems like any team can beat the Big 3. Cadiz just got promoted this season and they beat Real Madrid so comprehensively, only limited them to 2 shots on target. I've been impressed with this team, they are doing a Sheffield from last season. A shame Simeone's Atletico is so inconsistent and draw too many games, or else they could win the title again. Barca also losing, can't capitalize on Real Madrid's defeat.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Vinicius - Benzema - Vazquez isnt exactly a line-up that inspires fear.

Compare that to the attacking duo/trios of other top teams, its really poor.

Cait Sith

Not a single word about De Jong stinking up the place week in week out. All that hype from 2 collective Ajax team performances back then.

Reminds me of my school days. When my teacher figured out in 7th grade that I could program in Java I was branded as the "computer expert" for the rest of my school career who was called upon to fix the computer whenever the projector did not work in class, even 5 years later.

Nothing midfielder. No vision, slow decision making, no throughballs, no long balls, defensively unable to play single pivot. Same level as Arthur, good at keeping the ball under pressure without being able to do anything with it. That's about it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
La Real 2 up at Betis and going joint top with Villareal.

Two well constructed squads that have gone under the radar a bit. Big chance for both this season I think.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Really? I thought they were just putting a new roof on (or that might've been the last redevelopment a few years back). Will have to go and look at plans. Can remember the Camp Nou redevelopment plans a while back but assume that's been shelved for now.
They could play in the stadium again but of course the work around the stadium will go faster without football.

July 3

August 1

August 10

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Villarreal win, I hope they can push for top 4 this season.

The league is open this year, Atletico and Sevilla could muster up a good challenge. Still expect Real Madrid to win the league though