La liga 2021/22

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Lovely cross from Alaba to assist Benzema :drool:

2-0 vs Rayo

Idxomer

Falcao scoring a header, at least something to make you smile today.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
We got away with it in the end there.

Oh well, good to finish it off with a win before the break.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
We need a clinical striker for the next season.

Wonder who will be available :drool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema in the shape and form he is, how do you think your team will line up with another striker ?
Benzema is the reason we ended up struggling yesterday, he should have had a hat trick :lol:

No but seriously, depends. If it's Mbappé, there's no problem. Haaland, yeah, that might not be a great fit, unless we drop a midfielder and play Vini as a winger - which he might be able to, he's got the energy and works hard defensively, though i'm not so sure it wouldn't be a waste at this point

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Benzema is the reason we ended up struggling yesterday, he should have had a hat trick :lol:

No but seriously, depends. If it's Mbappé, there's no problem. Haaland, yeah, that might not be a great fit, unless we drop a midfielder and play Vini as a winger - which he might be able to, he's got the energy and works hard defensively, though i'm not so sure it wouldn't be a waste at this point
If you get Mbappe, I wonder if Haaland will wanna join your team. Vinicius has been a beast so far this season so the future is bright

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you get Mbappe, I wonder if Haaland will wanna join your team. Vinicius has been a beast so far this season so the future is bright
He really has been. He's such a threat that even when he doesn't play well he pulls off two assists or nearly scores a Maradona

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I struggle so far to see what is the vision of Ancelotti on his current team and how exactly he wants them to play. He is trying to shoehorn too many things at the same time and there is an obvious lack of balance in their play. Their defence is significantly worse than last season and their attack isnt exactly firing at the moment. Real Madrid are very lucky at the moment because the level of competition in La liga is weak. But in the Champions league i think they will not have such a luck.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Ancelotti won't abandon the 3-man midfield to keep the balance intact. Vinicius is far too good offensively being wasted as a someone doing defensive work.

Haaland will instantly replace Benzema as a starter because the former is easily the better player.

Let's judge at their respective stats since Haaland's arrival to BVB according to Transfermarkt (it's before Benzema's game last night).

Domestic league campaign

• Haaland: 49 goals + 11 assists in 4013 minutes = 1.35 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema: 41 goals + 19 assists in 5299 minutes = 1.02 goal/assist per 90
Champions League

• Haaland: 13 goals + 2 assists in 1062 minutes = 1.27 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema: 11 goals + 1 assist in 1111 minutes = 1.05 goal/assist per 90
Internationals

• Haaland (Norway): 12 goals + 1 assists in 1019 minutes = 1.15 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema (France): 4 goals + 2 assists in 850 minutes = 0.64 goal/assist per 90

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ancelotti won't abandon the 3-man midfield to keep the balance intact. Vinicius is far too good offensively being wasted as a someone doing defensive work.

Haaland will instantly replace Benzema as a starter because the former is easily the better player.

Let's judge at their respective stats since Haaland's arrival to BVB according to Transfermarkt (it's before Benzema's game last night).

Domestic league campaign

• Haaland: 49 goals + 11 assists in 4013 minutes = 1.35 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema: 41 goals + 19 assists in 5299 minutes = 1.02 goal/assist per 90
Champions League

• Haaland: 13 goals + 2 assists in 1062 minutes = 1.27 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema: 11 goals + 1 assist in 1111 minutes = 1.05 goal/assist per 90
Internationals

• Haaland (Norway): 12 goals + 1 assists in 1019 minutes = 1.15 goal/assist per 90
  • Benzema (France): 4 goals + 2 assists in 850 minutes = 0.64 goal/assist per 90
Haaland is not „easily“ a better player than Benzema. In the future he obviously will be.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How's this Duro guy? Valencia put him on 85th minute and he's completely done in Atletico Madrid, 3-3 somehow now.

Pep's Suit

Do people still rate Oblak? Once Atleti lost their amazing defence they concede a lot and he can't play that sweeper-keeper role or make passes like Ederson. Fine GK but never worth 80-100M.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

Do you believe Mbappe is a more clinical striker than Benzema? I think he(Mbappe) is even more wasteful. He never seems decisive in front of goal whenever I watch him. Maybe he will help you create more chances with his speed and dribbling, but I doubt if he'd be much more of an upgrade on Benzema.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you believe Mbappe is a more clinical striker than Benzema? I think he(Mbappe) is even more wasteful. He never seems decisive in front of goal whenever I watch him. Maybe he will help you create more chances with his speed and dribbling, but I doubt if he'd be much more of an upgrade on Benzema.
Mbappé wouldn't be an upgrade on Benzema since he wouldn't be replacing him

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema in the shape and form he is, how do you think your team will line up with another striker ?
I think the manager will have very strong headaches trying to fit the strikers in the starting lineup next season, but the signings the club will attempt make sense for the next 10, 15 years or so, so in the big scheme of things it's "hunger for today, bread for tomorrow".

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Haaland is not „easily“ a better player than Benzema. In the future he obviously will be.
Haaland's statistical numbers to his advantage tells otherwise.

Haaland would clearly be the undisputed striker at every club (without changing the set-up) except Bayern.

Everyone would agree Lewandowski is way better than Benzema if I compared their respective stats since 18/19 season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Haaland would clearly be the undisputed striker at every club (without changing the set-up) except Bayern.

Everyone would agree Lewandowski is way better than Benzema if I compared their respective stats since 18/19 season.
Look at Benzema‘s numbers for this season. He is also way more to Madrid than his stats. Reducing players to stats is doing them s disservice.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Oh lord, that's one of the poorest analysis i've ever seen. Benzema brings FAR more than only stats. I'd take Benzema over Haaland in a heartbeat in 2021, he's an amazing team player and very smart on the pitch.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Oh lord, that's one of the poorest analysis i've ever seen. Benzema brings FAR more than only stats. I'd take Benzema over Haaland in a heartbeat in 2021, he's an amazing team player and very smart on the pitch.
Haaland is a different beast in comparison to Benzema. Especially if you look for long term

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Haaland is a different beast in comparison to Benzema. Especially if you look for long term
I specifically wrote 2021 for a reason, Benzema is almost 34, he's obviously not a good long term bet. And again, if i had to build a team for this season only, i'd pick Benzema any day of the week. He might score a little less but his toolset is far more evolved than Haaland's, it's not even close.

Last edited:

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Look at Benzema‘s numbers for this season. He is also way more to Madrid than his stats. Reducing players to stats is doing them s disservice.
Benzema has an amazing start this season, although it remains to see towards the end of 2021-22 season.

Stats definitely matters, especially when it comes to strikers. Their legacies is mainly how good they were as a goalscorer.

Benzema is nowhere close as the best striker in Real Madrid history or being compared to all-time great #9s because his stats ain't good enough.

All players, even scrubs, have so called "intangibles" that doesn't show up in stats,

However, a striker will always be judged based on how great they're as a goalscorers.

Lewandowski is nothing alike Benzema and the former is viewed as the superior player due to his goalscoring stats.

A 21-year-old Haaland is already way better than Benzema on an individual level. And that's the objective truth.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
All players, even scrubs, have so called "intangibles" that doesn't show up in stats,

However, an out-and-out striker will always be judged based on how great they're as a goalscorers.

Lewandowski is nothing alike Benzema and the former is viewed as the superior player due to his goalscoring stats.

A 21-year-old Haaland is already way better than Benzema on an individual level. And that's the objective truth.
It's tangible to anyone with eyes who actually watch football instead of stats. Debatable maybe, but Haaland is certainly not a "way better" better player. Is 2017/2018 Lukaku better than Firminho because he scored more goals? Certainly not. And i'm not even mentionning Chelsea who won the CL without a striker (with the 2nd best record in the league after Tuchel joined, behind City who didn't have a striker as well). Goals isn't the only thing that matters.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Benzema has an amazing start this season, although it remains to see towards the end of 2021-22 season.

Stats definitely matters, especially when it comes to strikers. Their legacies is mainly how good they were as a goalscorer.

Benzema is nowhere close as the best striker in Real Madrid history or being compared to all-time great #9s because his stats ain't good enough.

However, a striker will always be judged based on how great they're as a goalscorers.

Individual level includes dribble and passing, areas in which Haaland is inferior to Benzema.

Benzema was playing most of his career at Madrid with Cristiano(the ultimate goal machine in modern football) on the pitch, of course he won't score as much as Haaland, as Cristiano scores at least 80% of the goals at teams he plays for.
Plus the reason you could accommodate Benzema with Cristiano it's because Benzema is useful outside of the small area, Haaland not so much, as his pass and dribble aren't top level, so the norwegian has to play as the main striker and be fed.

Harry Kane has similar numbers to Thierry Henry on PL, and nobody in his right mind would say Kane is as good as Henry just looking at numbers.

Haaland has similar numbers than Mbappé, still i would take Mbappé as the french can dribble and pass, thus he can create his own chances, he doesn't need to be fed like Haaland.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, he's nowhere close to being the best striker in our history because we are Real Madrid, and Di Stefano, Puskas and Cristiano Ronaldo played for us

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He's 4th on the list of historical RM goalscorers and will almost certainly retire as 2nd. Those seem like "good enough" stats.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He's 4th on the list of historical RM goalscorers and will almost certainly retire as 2nd. Those seem like "good enough" stats.
Benzema already has a better goal ratio and more goals than Raul.

He is 4th goal scorer of Real Madrid history, with only Cristiano,Puskas,Di Estéfano and Hugo Sanchez having a better goal ratio than him in the top 10.
Using the same metrics @Drygon preaches, Benzema is one of the best strikers of RM history.
He is also 4th top scorer in UCL history, with only the likes of Messi,Cristiano,Suarez, Lewandoski,Eusebio,Gerd Muller and Di Estefano having a better goal ratio than him in Champions League.
Which means that Karim in the UCL has a better goal ratio than Schevchenko,Raul,Inzaghi,Zlatan,Kaka,Trezeguet, Henry, and Van Persie.

Underrated definitely.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema already has a better goal ratio and more goals than Raul.

He is 4th goal scorer of Real Madrid history, with only Cristiano,Puskas,Di Estéfano and Hugo Sanchez having a better goal ratio than him in the top 10.
Using the same metrics @Drygon preaches, Benzema is one of the best strikers of RM history.
He is also 4th top scorer in UCL history, with only the likes of Messi,Cristiano,Suarez, Lewandoski,Eusebio,Gerd Muller and Di Estefano having a better goal ratio than him in Champions League.
Which means that Karim in the UCL has a better goal ratio than Schevchenko,Raul,Inzaghi,Zlatan,Kaka,Trezeguet, Henry, and Van Persie.

Underrated definitely.
Besides, and differently to most names in that list, Benzema has taken almost no penalties throughout his career.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

That is not the „objective truth“. That is your opinion.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Oh well.

It's kind of poetic, in a sweetbitter way, that while today is the day that will deprive us of being able to watch Ole fail at Manchester United, it is also the day we can focus our gaze onto a new object of great potential ridicule: Xavi's first game as manager of FC Barcelona.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
4 minutes into the game and I can confidently say that Xavi has got Frenkie De Jong watching videos of Jose Mari Bakero, Clockwork Orange style, for the last two weeks :lol:.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh well.

It's kind of poetic, in a sweetbitter way, that while today is the day that will deprive us of being able to watch Ole fail at Manchester United, it is also the day we can focus our gaze onto a new object of great potential ridicule: Xavi's first game as manager of FC Barcelona.
Would be great if they lose to Espanyol on his debut. :lol: