La Palma Eruption

Simbo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-58618487

Some spectacular scenes for the those that are into this sort of thing. Don't think too many are in danger, though there are residences nearby. Sounds like they saw this coming and everyone at risk were already evactuated.

In true 2021 internet fashion - It turns out there is a pre-established nutjob theory that if La Palma eruptes, it has the potential to cause a landslide that would in turn cause a tsunami capable of devastating coastal areas around half the world. So now theres all sorts of daft fearmongering going around twitter etc.

Carolina Red

Staff
In true 2021 internet fashion - It turns out there is a pre-established nutjob theory that if La Palma eruptes, it has the potential to cause a landslide that would in turn cause a tsunami capable of devastating coastal areas around half the world.
Legit had a former colleague in a group chat claiming this would happen yesterday.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
To be fair, there is a high likelihood of a landslide causing a mega tsunami happening eventually. There's scientific research on the issue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_Vieja_tsunami_hazard

It is just extremely unlikely that it will happen in our lifetimes, or in the foreseeable.

Something which is even geologically imminent could still be thousands of years off.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Here we go:

"The recurrence rate of similar collapses is extremely low, about one every 100,000 years or less in the case of the Canary Islands. Other volcanoes across the world are at risk of causing such tsunamis."

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
In true 2021 internet fashion - It turns out there is a pre-established nutjob theory that if La Palma eruptes, it has the potential to cause a landslide that would in turn cause a tsunami capable of devastating coastal areas around half the world. So now theres all sorts of daft fearmongering going around twitter etc.
It's not as fringe as nutjob makes it sound. It's a possible fracture mode for the volcano and the island. If it does start to go, you'll get warning, but you won't be able to do much about it apart from evacuate the area that the wave might hit.

How likely is to happen this year? Not very, but it's the kind of incident that gets measured in thousands in years rather than millions.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Don't listen to them Simbo they are conspiracy nutters trying to draw you in. Frosty and jojojo are 5 posts away from saying La Parma did 9/11.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
About 5000 people have been evacuated from their homes. Some houses are in the path of the lava so they're expecting more damage. The monitoring stations are doing their jobs.

Don't listen to them Simbo they are conspiracy nutters trying to draw you in. Frosty and jojojo are 5 posts away from saying La Parma did 9/11.
9/11 you say? That anniversary lines up with some of the eruption reporting dates. Odd that. :eek:

Meanwhile, current thinking on the tsunami risk to the east coast of the US -
https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/19/latest_news/1632069096_343081.html
Is a remarkably good article including some recent research on past land collapses in the area and the lack of evidence for big tsunamis from those. So probably not this time either, even if the land does slip.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I love the canaries. Isn’t there one on lanzorote too?
All 7 islands are volcanic and all of them have their own volcano. 4 of the 7 registered eruptions since the islands were colonized by Spain on the XV century. 3 in the XXth century, 1 submarine eruption 10 years ago and now this. So the area still pretty active

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
All 7 islands are volcanic and all of them have their own volcano. 4 of the 7 registered eruptions since the islands were colonized by Spain on the XV century. 3 in the XXth century, 1 submarine eruption 10 years ago and now this. So the area still pretty active
Wow didn’t know that thanks. My favorite island is Fuerteventura and I’ve always thought about having a holiday home there, thus would make me think twice

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Wow didn’t know that thanks. My favorite island is Fuerteventura and I’ve always thought about having a holiday home there, thus would make me think twice
Yeah. People forget where they live. My guess is that is pretty safe depending on you put the house, like in Hawai. Last eruption in la palma in the 70s was at a few km from this one. Big cities are not afected. And you are lucky. Fuerteventura had no activity in centuries and is considered extinct....but who knows

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah. People forget where they live. My guess is that is pretty safe depending on you put the house, like in Hawai. Last eruption in la palma in the 70s was at a few km from this one. Big cities are not afected. And you are lucky. Fuerteventura had no activity in centuries and is considered extinct....but who knows
But someday it’s coming. Just like I thought brexit wouldn’t happen, trump wouldn’t happen, a pandemic wouldn’t happen and the scousers wouldn’t win the league. I don’t trust anything anymore.

FireballXL5

I watched this a while back. Scary stuff, and it probably is going to happen one day.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
But someday it’s coming. Just like I thought brexit wouldn’t happen, trump wouldn’t happen, a pandemic wouldn’t happen and the scousers wouldn’t win the league. I don’t trust anything anymore.
CR7 is back to Man Utd, the crown print is back on the glass pints and imperial system is bound to be back. we turned a corner, go buy your house. now!

golden_blunder

Staff
How dare you... great brittain is back ruling the waves. time to invade fuerteventura to get your house
No chance, you’ve got those little bunker things all over the island. Plus I think one of those islands is like a secret James Bond bad guy island

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not looking like calming down anytime soon.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Apparently, measuring the levels of sulfur and the depth of the tremors, it will not end anytime soon, or at least to not before 2 weeks. This eruption is the biggest (by double) since there are registers from the XVI century in Canary Islands.

Also, there are 4 dogs trapped almost since the beginning and they will try to rescue them this week with drones with nets