Lack of a Spine (in the team not psychologicall)

Jericholyte2

This is the anchor that will consistently hold us back. Look at the spine of our team - too many ‘almost’ players who can too regularly be played through by even the lesser teams in the league...

DDG - doubts, consistency has been lacking the last few years
Bailly - can’t rely on being fit long enough
Lindelof - not strong enough to make up for his lack of pace, not good enough in the air, just generally not good enough
Maguire - a good defender prone to lapses. Needs a pace CB partner to make up for his weaknesses
Axel - Young, inexperienced and prone to errors
Matic - too immobile to be of much use
Pogba - too inconsistent / potentially selling thissummer
Fred - not creative enough to be the deeper creative, not disciplined enough to be the DM
McT - see above
Cavani - always a shot-term option
Martial - too inconsistent to be a no.9
Rashford - see Martial

I would say there are maybe 3/4 players here on the list that we could rely on to some degree which doesn’t bode well. If we are to move on I’d still say we’re a long way off, at least 1 CB, 2 CMs, a reliable striker away from having a spine to challenge for honours.

Again, a lot of investment still needed to get anywhere near competing.

siw2007

I think this is fair enough, though I’m largely happy with Bruno and Maguire, it’s not a strong spine to the team. I doubt we will get two CMs but hope we can get that midfield general and imposing CB, I think it would make a world of difference and improve the players in front.