Lack of Coaching

Dr Fink

Liverpool's midfield is arguably weaker when you compare the individual players (definitely weaker than City's or even Chelsea's). OK maybe not the first part of that sentence. The difference is that Klopp as a better coach, gets them to play better as a unit. They all play in a certain coached way, as a team for each other, in Klopp's style. Can someone please tell us our "style" or "brand" of football under ole? Right level of coach for the right team. If we aspire to be title contenders then we need a proven coach, not an "experiment" trying to steady the quickly sinking ship.

Last edited:

Pughnichi

Not necessarily coaching but formation wise I don’t understand the insistence with playing a double pivot and a No10 when we clearly don’t have 1

we’ve played our best football in recent times with 433 which imo were crying out for at the minute.

I’d much prefer 1 specifically designated DCM as apposed to the two in a pivot. The players aren’t intelligent enough to know when to go fwd and back and they certainly aren’t communicating too well

Dr Fink

Not necessarily coaching but formation wise I don’t understand the insistence with playing a double pivot and a No10 when we clearly don’t have 1

we’ve played our best football in recent times with 433 which imo were crying out for at the minute.

I’d much prefer 1 specifically designated DCM as apposed to the two in a pivot. The players aren’t intelligent enough to know when to go fwd and back and they certainly aren’t communicating too well
I agree but tactics including formation do come under the coaching umbrella. Yep, we don't have a 10 yet we play a system with one. Madness. It's still down to the same people or person (ultimately) though.

SteveTheRed

The "lack of coaching" comments are exaggerated massively on here. I think we have seen a style of football that he wants to play, fast, quick passes into space. Counter attacks if needed.

The trouble is a huge lack of confidence in our squad. It's been the same going back to Moyes, LVG, Mourinho...never heard anyone ever say those managers didn't know how to coach etc. Yet numerous times people questioned what we were doing on the training ground at United. I think the same can apply to Ole here.

We have had spells with great pressing, and confident play - (And those will this is the style Ole wants) but it is short lived. Players are not confident to play risky passes. That is a fault which you can point at all of the coaches we have had since SAF...they haven't been able to build confidence in the squad we have to perform.

Bestietom

The "lack of coaching" comments are exaggerated massively on here. I think we have seen a style of football that he wants to play, fast, quick passes into space. Counter attacks if needed.

The trouble is a huge lack of confidence in our squad. It's been the same going back to Moyes, LVG, Mourinho...never heard anyone ever say those managers didn't know how to coach etc. Yet numerous times people questioned what we were doing on the training ground at United. I think the same can apply to Ole here.

We have had spells with great pressing, and confident play - (And those will this is the style Ole wants) but it is short lived. Players are not confident to play risky passes. That is a fault which you can point at all of the coaches we have had since SAF...they haven't been able to build confidence in the squad we have to perform.
Agre, we would rather pass it across or backwards than take a chance with a forward pass over the defence. Richards pointed it out last night, and it's been happening since Fergie left.

tomaldinho1

I doubt any fan truly believes Ole and his team do zero tactical work but I think it's fair to say they don't seem as obsessed by it as some other managers. Our system is really very simple and the players were already used to the formation from Jose's time here. Ole hasn't exactly ripped up any trees, he's just tried to add an intensity to our player which is yet to really ever be seen apart from in one off games.

Phelan was notoriously light when it came to positional play (Quieroz was super into this and when he left and Phelan ran sessions things changed), I'm assuming he's still the same. Our off the ball running is predictable and our play when we're not countering revolves around hoping someone like Martial or Rashford can go past a player and get between lines, we're just a bit old fashioned in how we approach the game nowadays. Sometimes I think people forget how technical and tactical the coaches like Quieroz and to a lesser extent Meulesteen were and this is something I get the impression the current coaching team lack.

The frustrating thing for me is it's not just the big teams with the best best players who are implementing their tactics, look at Leeds, a team made up of players levels below our own, working in a set system and playing an aggressive brand of football that creates chances and is exciting to watch - there are many other examples - and this is all stemming from the coaching team.

We are not going to be challenging for the PL in the next couple of years, that much seems evident but United have a young team with some genuinely exciting players; Martial, Rashford, James, McT, AWB, Williams, Henderson, Axel, Greenwood, Gomes (if he stays) who are in their prime for learning and being moulded into a system. Surely we can do better than what's currently on offer for them?

tjb

This is how players escape. We know the what Ole wants, we have seen it work both against big teams and smaller teams in small samples when everyone is fit, even though there are gaps. But we see it rarely as we have poor depth, inconsistencies and poor quality in certain positions. We heard the same things under LVG and Mourinho. Coaching doesn't teach you how to control a five yard pass or how to have the awareness to move into certain positions when in possession. People want our players to be expressive yet want to see every detail of what the manager is doing tactically before they can believe he is coaching the team. Well here is a lesson. If you allow expression in attack, it means that you give the players, particularly in attacking positions, the freedom to play as they feel most comfortable. Our current front 6 ( the one's that have played majority of the season) does not have the quality to consistently create chances or dominate games. How can you expect to dominate teams like wolves when in reality, we have about 3 players in the front 6 that would struggle to get games for wolves. Fans need to be brutally honest with what we have before we attack coaching. We do not have that level of quality. We have an improving but young and inconsistent winger who should be on the bench on our right flank, 2 midfielders who are workers but cannot be accused of being good passers of the ball ( one should start but not both) and a complete vacuum of quality in our most important position at no. 10. To add to this, all players being fit, neither Martial or Rashford have shown consistent quality throughout (Rashford is starting to) and Pogba has been relatively inconsequential since the world cup. Worst of all, when the little quality that we do have get injured, we have nothing on the bench to replace them or supplement their inconsistencies. This means that we have barely any room for rotation, as we are so bad depth wise, we would lose to the teams at the bottom of the table without our starters. Before we decide to blame the coaches, we first have to look at what we have, and right now what we have would put us exactly where we are; an inconsistent top 6 team that can beat or lose to anybody, but lack the consistent quality to challenge for the league.

Anustart89

I guess it would be nice to add a coach or two, especially coaches who can work on attacking patterns. But, I am not into that it is all up to coaching, and I think it is players that are weak in quality and mentality. Not all of them, it is a mix.

Why I think that? Check out playing style of Williams during games and Shaw and Young. All of them are different. When Williams is playing you can see he is running his brains out to give option to his teammates on the flanks, to overlap, to go behind players and take them to open space for wingers. When Shaw is playing you can't see that. When Young is playing it is happening once or twice in the game, but I guess it is more cause he can't track back. So, if it is coaching why Williams and Shaw don't have similar patterns? I think that Ole ask from them to make those runs, but Shaw just don't understand when to make a run and where to run, and he is just pretending to make those runs and stop as soon as possible. Also, maybe he is not fit enough so he knows that he would get injured if he makes those runs with full speed. I can't remember when I saw him running at full speed last time. Maybe it is injury concern in his head. On the other hand, Williams is running forward as soon as there is space in front and as soon as he pass the ball. My thought is that Ole wants that, what Williams is showing, and that only reason why he is not playing every game is that he is just a kid and he doesn't want to get him in trouble with injuries. He wants to keep him fit and to gain experience once a week.

Also, I think it is similar on the right. It looks to me that AWB is improving in that department and that is last few games against smaller teams he did better than before. Still, lot of space for improvement. Maybe, he is tired as well as he is playing almost every game and introduction of Laird or Dalot would help him to get some rest now and than.

Another issue is passing forward. When Matic is playing you will see he is waiting to execute pass between lines to number 10. He is doing that in every game a few times. Maguire and Lindelof are trying to do the same. The problem is that number 10 is more often than not hiding behind the players, so DM/CB can't execute that pass. They are afraid of interception, that with speed of our CB/DM partnership can lead to a goal conceded. So, they are executing those passes only when they are 90-100% sure that they will succeed which limits our chances. So, it is up to the players to open up for the pass, and to have pace to track back ad cover if something goes wrong. Also, coaching as players should move and open up better, but if they don't have it it is not like Ole has too many options.

Also, even when we make a space behind midfielders, and our Number 10 get the ball, our final pass is terrible. Decision making and executing are not on the PL level, and not on world class level. Whoever is playing it is the same. Mata is the only one that can deliver good ball, but he is slow to make that space and rarely is in position to do that. Pereira has bad decision making and vision, and Lingard doesn't have anything. Si, it is up to the players, although Ole could try Gomes there.

Also, forwards are issue. Movement in the box. It is not something you can learn easily, you need to have that in you, and Martial doesn't have that. He is more like second striker or winger, more like number 10. Also, passing, decision making in final third is something our players are not very good at. Maybe you can improve there a little bit with coaching, but to have it like Inzaghi or Chicharito, I doubt you can learn that.
Was going to split this up into smaller portions and quote them one by one but website's not having that, so I'll adress some of the points one by one. It's a great, well-thought out post, but I think it's a bit heavy on the player blaming for the simple reason that Ole keeps picking them despite their flaws.

Regarding the Shaw/Williams example, you correctly point out that they are playing very differently under presumably the same instructions, which highlights Shaw's lack of ambition in going forward, yes. However, it also indicates to me that Ole's instructions to the players are "play however you want to play" or "play with a smile", and Shaw smiles if he's just lazying around in the mid third of the pitch whereas Williams smiles if he gets to run around like a dog in the park. So far, we haven't seen Ole trying to tone Williams's running down or putting a boot up Shaw's lazy arse, indicating that he's somehow happy with.. both?

A manager with a clear idea of how he wanted to play, regardless of how basic that plan is, doesn't have two left backs that play in completely different manners. He either wants his left back to bomb forward, in which case he'd chastise Shaw for not doing it enough (and put him out of the team, which he really hasn't because he's still playing most of the time when he's available), or he tells Williams to tone it down and puts him out of the team (which he hasn't, he's been given more games as the season's gone on). So for me it seems like he's happy with Williams's playing style, which begs the question why we haven't seen it from Shaw? And let's be kind to Ole here and assume Shaw's been getting those instructions, why is Shaw still getting on the pitch if he can't take instructions and act accordingly?

Fergie apparently told superstars like Rooney, Scholes and Carrick that he'd put them out of the team if they didn't pass it to RvP when he made a move. Did he ever have to do that? Not really, but they knew there were consequences to not following instructions. Here we have different players occupying the same position with a completely different end result based on their personalities. We don't have a squad that's good enough to play as they themselves wish, so you have to implement an idea (for example every players that plays CDM has to immediately play the forward pass, not just Matic). Pogba came on for 30 minutes and played two great passes over the top. Why isn't he telling or coaching his players to do that in his absence? Even if they're not good enough to put it in behind with pin-point precision like Pogba, those types of passes are mostly about timing, and even if they get 2/10 right, that's two potential chances created.

Some players might not have the instinct to play in a striker's role, but that's where the manager comes in. Just say that James ALWAYS needs to put his crosses low and towards the front post. If that instruction is crystal clear, then you can easily tell the strikers that every time James is on a one-on-one with the full back, you fecking go to the front post. And then you tell the striker "if you don't go to the front post, you're out of the team". Instead we have this situation where half the crosses are between keeper and defence and half of them are towards the penalty spot and nobody knows where it's coming.
Or another example: Winger has to put it front post (between GK/Def) or penalty spot. When winger challenges full back, striker always goes front post, no 10 always goes penalty spot and opposite winger always goes far post. That way, you'll always have someone ready at a position with a clear trigger to the movements of the players.

Honestly, I don't think Ole has a clue as to what way he wants to play. He's just hoping he gets enough time to bring quality individuals together and let them play whichever way they want. Fergie could afford that luxury because he had his team sitting at the top of the table and he could bring the best players to the club, but even they had a threat of being shoved out of the team if they didn't follow instructions. What magic are Sean Longstaff and the likes going to bring to the table?

From the position we're in, we simply have to get a manager with a clear idea of how he wants the team to play, and the authority to implement that idea, in order to make the team greater than the sum of the parts. That's how we're going to break back into the top four and be able to compete for the top players.

Ole's team is never going to be more than the sum of its parts because he doesn't have an idea of how he wants the team to play (ie "go out there and smile, a smile's worth ten goals you know"), and it's incredibly naive to believe that he is the man who's going to get the club to a position where we can attract good parts.

Sorry for the rambling post, I've jumped back and forth and put edits in everywhere, hopefully it's somewhat readable.

Last edited:

Nuel

Was going to split this up into smaller portions and quote them one by one but website's not having that, so I'll adress some of the points one by one. It's a great, well-thought out post, but I think it's a bit heavy on the player blaming for the simple reason that Ole keeps picking them despite their flaws.

Regarding the Shaw/Williams example, you correctly point out that they are playing very differently under presumably the same instructions, which highlights Shaw's lack of ambition in going forward, yes. However, it also indicates to me that Ole's instructions to the players are "play however you want to play" or "play with a smile", and Shaw smiles if he's just lazying around in the mid third of the pitch whereas Williams smiles if he gets to run around like a dog in the park. So far, we haven't seen Ole trying to tone Williams's running down or putting a boot up Shaw's lazy arse, indicating that he's somehow happy with.. both?

A manager with a clear idea of how he wanted to play, regardless of how basic that plan is, doesn't have two left backs that play in completely different manners. He either wants his left back to bomb forward, in which case he'd chastise Shaw for not doing it enough (and put him out of the team, which he really hasn't because he's still playing most of the time when he's available), or he tells Williams to tone it down and puts him out of the team (which he hasn't, he's been given more games as the season's gone on). So for me it seems like he's happy with Williams's playing style, which begs the question why we haven't seen it from Shaw? And let's be kind to Ole here and assume Shaw's been getting those instructions, why is Shaw still getting on the pitch if he can't take instructions and act accordingly?

Fergie apparently told superstars like Rooney, Scholes and Carrick that he'd put them out of the team if they didn't pass it to RvP when he made a move. Did he ever have to do that? Not really, but they knew there were consequences to not following instructions. Here we have different players occupying the same position with a completely different end result based on their personalities. We don't have a squad that's good enough to play as they themselves wish, so you have to implement an idea (for example every players that plays CDM has to immediately play the forward pass, not just Matic). Pogba came on for 30 minutes and played two great passes over the top. Why isn't he telling or coaching his players to do that in his absence? Even if they're not good enough to put it in behind with pin-point precision like Pogba, those types of passes are mostly about timing, and even if they get 2/10 right, that's two potential chances created.

Some players might not have the instinct to play in a striker's role, but that's where the manager comes in. Just say that James ALWAYS needs to put his crosses low and towards the front post. If that instruction is crystal clear, then you can easily tell the strikers that every time James is on a one-on-one with the full back, you fecking go to the front post. And then you tell the striker "if you don't go to the front post, you're out of the team". Instead we have this situation where half the crosses are between keeper and defence and half of them are towards the penalty spot and nobody knows where it's coming.
Or another example: Winger has to put it front post (between GK/Def) or penalty spot. When winger challenges full back, striker always goes front post, opposite winger always goes penalty spot and opposite winger always goes far post. That way, you'll always have someone ready at a position with a clear trigger to the movements of the players.

Honestly, I don't think Ole has a clue as to what way he wants to play. He's just hoping he gets enough time to bring quality individuals together and let them play whichever way they want. Fergie could afford that luxury because he had his team sitting at the top of the table and he could bring the best players to the club, but even they had a threat of being shoved out of the team if they didn't follow instructions. What magic are Sean Longstaff and the likes going to bring to the table?

From the position we're in, we simply have to get a manager with a clear idea of how he wants the team to play, and the authority to implement that idea, in order to make the team greater than the sum of the parts. That's how we're going to break back into the top four and be able to compete for the top players.

Ole's team is never going to be more than the sum of its parts because he doesn't have an idea of how he wants the team to play (ie "go out there and smile, a smile's worth ten goals you know"), and it's incredibly naive to believe that he is the man who's going to get the club to a position where we can attract good parts.

Sorry for the rambling post, I've jumped back and forth and put edits in everywhere, hopefully it's somewhat readable.
I agree with you.

Of course, buying better players may improve results/performances due to their individual quality but in the long run, any upward curve would still balance out and become flat just like our performances right now as has been the case most of the time with almost every exciting player we buy. Every club that wants to stay competitive needs better players. But in our case, we need a better, more progressive coaching setup firstly to catch up with the current trend of the game.

If team A tries an attacking move but is mildly successful then you can tell me a better team B may need to be bought. But if team A week in week out is getting picked and do not try a disciplined/coached attacking move, you should keep your fingers crossed hoping the newly bought team B would make such attacking moves based on their own prerogative. What then is the role of the coaches?

We don't need a team of world-stars to play attacking football. We need a better coaching setup. If no attacking pattern besides counter is seen with these players, no attacking pattern would be seen with a new set of players. World-class players may give you an edge to win titles but you don't need world-class players to attack as a disciplined team.

Reactions: Penna

Dr Fink

The lack of movement from the front three limits this massively - no movement means no option for a forward pass. Take Rashford from last night first half, tucked in playing Inside Left, offering very little movemen or options going forward. This put the whole left side under pressure as they overran Williams countless times. God knows, but he wouldn’t move wider, probably under the “master tactician’s” instructions.

The forwards will turn up again and run in to space on Saturday, just watch. The problem is they just aren’t consistent, doing it every few games.

Oh and as for playing risky passes, we don’t have any form of fit playmaker so there’s no one who can actually pass more than 5 yards, to undertake any threatening through ball.

Sorry, but it is down to the player quality and the coaching (especially the movement).

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I agree with you.

Of course, buying better players may improve results/performances due to their individual quality but in the long run, any upward curve would still balance out and become flat just like our performances right now as has been the case most of the time with almost every exciting player we buy. Every club that wants to stay competitive needs better players. But in our case, we need a better, more progressive coaching setup firstly to catch up with the current trend of the game.

If team A tries an attacking move but is mildly successful then you can tell me a better team B may need to be bought. But if team A week in week out is getting picked and do not try a disciplined/coached attacking move, you should keep your fingers crossed hoping the newly bought team B would make such attacking moves based on their own prerogative. What then is the role of the coaches?

We don't need a team of world-stars to play attacking football. We need a better coaching setup. If no attacking pattern besides counter is seen with these players, no attacking pattern would be seen with a new set of players. World-class players may give you an edge to win titles but you don't need world-class players to attack as a disciplined team.

You need the correct players for each role/place in the wished formation(s) of the coaches, with the correct set of skills needed to fullfill the objective of that role.
At the moment there are quality in some places, where there is lack of quality on others. Specially in midfield as everyone knows.
There is no depth in the squad and little or no creativity in midfield.

This is not about coaching. You are blind if you think that coaching is the problem.
Adress the squad issues first.

Crustanoid

Many of our players lack motivation to perform 100% because of lack of competition.
Liverpool and City kept improving their squads year on year and consequently nobody felt ‘safe’, and therefore they kept on performing, otherwise they’d be benched.
This is on the board for not increasing the competition, allowing our players to rest on their laurels, on wages which are too high, due to their glacial ‘rebuild’ which they purport to be orchestrating.

Foxbatt

Or another example: Winger has to put it front post (between GK/Def) or penalty spot. When winger challenges full back, striker always goes front post, opposite winger always goes penalty spot and opposite winger always goes far post. That way, you'll always have someone ready at a position with a clear trigger to the movements of the players.

I couldn't have put it better. Yes we need to highlight what Fergie told about passing to RVP. I saw Rio say that in the interview. Some people are blind to facts.

Anustart89

You need the correct players for each role/place in the wished formation(s) of the coaches, with the correct set of skills needed to fullfill the objective of that role.
At the moment there are quality in some places, where there is lack of quality on others. Specially in midfield as everyone knows.

This is not about coaching. You are blind if you think that coaching is the problem.
What talent does Pereira need to look for the forward pass when he gets the ball from the defenders? It's just a matter of mindset. Matic has it, so why doesn't Ole tell Pereira (for example) to go for the forward pass? Tell him "I don't care if you lose possession ten times, just get the ball forward. If you don't pass it between the lines you're out of the team".

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
One year and we still can't press as a unit, can't attack with any creativity and our plan A and B is to sit deep and kick it long.

Ole is like the youngest dinosaur manager out there.

R'hllor

If concerns regarding coaching are OTT then there is no point even discussing. Guess players we buy and them dropping their levels soon after joining is just a fluke, bad luck.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
More like medieval coaching.

Not the standard of PL teams in current era.

We're stil floating around mostly due to the overall individual qualities of our certain players.
This.

We concentrate on defending, then counter attacking. That's all we work on.

We clearly don't work on pressing once the ball is lost, or how to hold possession and recycle it once we've won it back.

Our whole game plan is setup to get the ball from defence up the pitch as fast as possible, when that fails we look clueless. We know Ole has basically copied Fergies handbook but purely implemented it, and the fact is our forwards don't have half the intelligence the strikers and midfielders did under Fergie.

Compare Giggs/Keane/Beckham/Scholes/Butt/Cole/Yorke/Sheringham/solskjaer to this lot :lol:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
@Schmeichel=God

Cheers. I agree with you and i have mentioned in other threads that the only possible way i can see Rashford and Martial playing together is in tactics with two forwards. Their natural game is getting to the end of moves and not to generate them and whenever they are asked to be at the heart of attacking moves, they usually struggle to cope. Mind you though that it's easier said than done. Ferguson had an eye for good and well-functioning partnerships upfront and he understood that he had to get them spot-on otherwise he would pay the consequences of the numerical disadvantage in the midfield. Cantona enjoyed "imperial freedoms" on the pitch because he could create chances and openings for any type of main forward. Cole and Yorke's understanding of each other's movement in between the lines was phenomenal. Fergie wouldn't even hesitate to spend years fighting with Rooney over the latter's position on the pitch because he believed that Rooney as a SS would suit his plans best. On the other hand, we won the title with RvN leading the line only when Scholes managed to play well in a more advanced role. Berbatov's nonchalant attitude on the pitch didn't exactly bring the desired outcome either.

The problem with all that is that a lot of responsibility will fall on Martial's shoulders and we might see him in the predicament Rashford finds himself atm. It's a role that demands alertness, good reading of the game and constant movement, not just flair and silky skills. And to be fair, Martial looks more like a Berbatov than a Rooney/Cole. Pogba playing in the hole is always a luring idea when you see his skills on the ball but with his lack of positional awareness, you always risk of making your tactics very rigid (less predictable thus creating the same problems). There's a logic behind Mourinho's then and Solskjaer's now utilization of Pogba.

Anyway, it's difficult to find the solution to this riddle simply because we always seem to assign key-roles to players with the hope that they will play the part and we insist on these players with the belief that they will somehow become the players we need. Good sides are always built around what the players are, not on some projection of the players we think they'll become in the near future or around the idea of the roles we envision them into. Klopp changed 9/11 of his starting lineup in the space of four years, Pep doesn't have time for players that don't suit his plans. People preach patience but Ferguson didn't build the 1992/93 title-winning side by giving second, third or fourth chances but by being ruthless. And when he sensed that several players had become complacent in 1995, he was ruthless once again. We and Arsenal are being left behind because our approach seems to be an exercise in futility more than anything else.

Your second image is what Solskjaer basically wants, give or take a few players' positions (swap Martial and Rashford, James where you put Fred but on the right side etc.). The idea is there but the execution is all wrong. IMO, the problem with the midfield is an inherent one and it hasn't so much to do with the formation. Pogba's erratic positioning (and the lack of serious defensive effort) creates the need for tactical discipline in the centre of the park. That's why we bought Matic. Solskjaer decided to use McT as a midfielder who will put pressure on the ball and help us regain possession higher on the pitch. He understood that this would bring Pogba playing as the deepest midfielder and that's why he spent every single penny he was afforded on fixing a back-four that could handle a lot of pressure. A lot of good faith was placed on Lingard/Mata and Rashford/Martial to retain possession in the attacking half and provide the midfield with some breathing space. As expected it didn't materialize because these front three aren't good at creating pockets of space and at securing possession. As a result, McT looks like a headless chicken (and now he rarely passes the ball forward), Rashford looks as hopeless as Januzaj did when Moyes was expecting him to play like Pele and Pogba has already started asking himself what the hell is he doing here. And because it's all started falling apart, Ole started using Pereira on the right with instructions to operate as a third midfielder in the defensive phase (the pressing can't work when you constantly lose the ball and you have to sprint all the time to get it back. This is what Klopp understood after his last season at BvB and what has turned him into a truly world-class manager) in order to create a semblance of compactness. That's also why we see more of Matic although Ole doesn't fancy him much. He is the only tactically disciplined midfielder we have. But that's one player who's clearly past it and one who's not a RW trying to fix our problems. Madness. And if we play Fred (and push Pogba in the #10 role), we'll still have to rely on Matic on screening the back-four because Fred is positionally all over the place too. On top of that, silly defensive mistakes cost us points despite of the fact that the back-four looks more solid.

I really hope that Ole sees something in training that we don't see on the pitch (for whatever reason) because it's very early in the season to be left devoid of good ideas.
Your two last posts are one the best reads I've ever had on a football forum.

Cheers.

RedIan

Thank you @That_Bloke for your kind words. :) Much appreciated.
That made me go back and read your last post and i concur, excellent post and thoughts....

I read with interest the comments of Kevin DE Bruyne and Pep G after their 3-1 win midweek. They adopted a false 9 tactic to swamp our weak midfield and stifle our counter attacking options. It worked amazingly well in the first half, they simply blew us away provoking comments of Men V Boys etc.
We simply couldn’t cope with their pass and move and they cut us open time and again and it could easily have been 5-0 at half time.
Another city player commented they completely eased off us in the 2nd half too save their legs.!!

I do wonder if Ole has the technical intelligence/experience to coach more advanced tactics to exploit or nullify the oppositions threat. Pep G is the master at it, Ole, a mere novice at it but managing one of the biggest clubs in the world???

Last edited:

Matt007a

We lack movement in terms of players finding space in between the lines and moving defenders around, but actually we get a few runs in behind in every game that are ignored.

When Pogba plays, he'll find Rashford with a ball over the top at least once or twice in every game. When he doesn't Rashford makes the run and is ignored. It seems like a lack of confidence in our other midfielders to try the pass. There is no question that we're poorly coached in attacking patterns though. The players are completely reactive to whatever is happening rather than having a plan set out in advance and trying to force specific scenarios. Quality players will improve the situation, but that alone would never be enough to catch Liverpool or City.

jackal&hyde

What mid 3 would you see us using this season giving the players available?

Smores

There's a big difference between a style of play and tactical coaching though. Anyone can come in and say we're going to play fast on the counter, that's just an ethos or a strategy.

The lack of coaching is in how that's realised. It's very apparent to everyone that our strikers aren't given any instruction on their movement and it's the same for the rest of the team. Our methods during a game depend entirely on the players exerting their own decision making rather than any tactical plan from the manager.

Can anyone actually think of one bit of play that we regularly do that looks practiced?

LvG and Jose you could see the players operated within a structure even if it wasn't working. What we have now is far closer to Moyes.

Pughnichi

What mid 3 would you see us using this season giving the players available?
DMC. McT - just let him sit, destroy and release the ball
MRC. Fred - whilst he’s been brilliant recently he could be far more creative. Very good at turning and passing through lines
MLC. Pogba - the most advanced and free of the midfielders. Replicate his Juve role. We destroy Pogba when we ask him to defend

jackal&hyde

DMC. McT - just let him sit, destroy and release the ball
MRC. Fred - whilst he’s been brilliant recently he could be far more creative. Very good at turning and passing through lines
MLC. Pogba - the most advanced and free of the midfielders. Replicate his Juve role. We destroy Pogba when we ask him to defend
I agree but Fred has just barely started to adapt and Pogba has been out for most of the season. I was trying to say that we didn't have the players ready to do 4 3 3 and that's why i think we played mostly 4231 this season. When all 3 will be fit i'm fairly certain that's what we'l see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That made me go back and read your last post and i concur, excellent post and thoughts....

I read with interest the comments of Kevin DE Bruyne and Pep G after their 3-1 win midweek. They adopted a false 9 tactic to swamp our weak midfield and stifle our counter attacking options. It worked amazingly well in the first half, they simply blew us away provoking comments of Men V Boys etc.
We simply couldn’t cope with their pass and move and they cut us open time and again and it could easily have been 5-0 at half time.
Another city player commented they completely eased off us in the 2nd half too save their legs.!!

I do wonder if Ole has the technical intelligence/experience to coach more advanced tactics to exploit or nullify the oppositions threat. Pep G is the master at it, Ole, a mere novice at it but managing one of the biggest clubs in the world???
Which is why I keep saying Ole is suited to coaching U-23's and under, a bit like primary school teachers showing kids the basics, then they go to high school and get taught the serious stuff.

KekiZeki

Liverpool's midfield is arguably weaker when you compare the individual players (definitely weaker than City's or even Chelsea's). OK maybe not the first part of that sentence. The difference is that Klopp as a better coach, gets them to play better as a unit. They all play in a certain coached way, as a team for each other, in Klopp's style. Can someone please tell us our "style" or "brand" of football under ole? Right level of coach for the right team. If we aspire to be title contenders then we need a proven coach, not an "experiment" trying to steady the quickly sinking ship.
Liverpool don't really utilize any "quality" out of their midfield. They only use the midfield to exert pressure and get the ball to forwards or fullbacks for a quick run, they don't expect Henderson or Wijnaldum to create and they don't do that. The only player in midfield, quality-wise I'd like to have in our team is Fabinho but he's a defensive minded player.
If you take Pogba's inconsistency and Henderson's consistency (although at a much lower level) you get a lot more out of Henderson than we can out of Pogba inspite of his much lesser talent and quality. Their team is set up not to need much quality from central midfielders, and they're fine with it, for now. We are not set up like that, and we will never be set up like that, this is why we need our central midfielders to have quality but also the passion for the game. I am not convinced anyone could get Pogba performing consistently, let's remember the fact that sir Alex had him and sold him. When we paid 100 mil. to get him back it seemed like a terrible call by Ferguson then but right now I believe he knew what he was doing. Pogba might be a great resale player but sir Alex picked players to build the team around and not to move them on to the highest bidder and I don't think we will ever be able to build a team around Pogba and that's the only player with quality we have in our midfield to even consider building the team around.

Maticmaker

Coaching and Training are sometimes confused together, generally training is aimed at getting up to a level of standard (usually reactive)performance, whereas coaching is employed to take you beyond that, towards (usually proactive) excellence. I suspect we train our players effectively to give them speed the stamina the basic skills to react, but compared with such as Pep I doubt our coaching capability.

An example, on Tuesday night whenever City lost the ball, immediately and as one, all ten outfield players started to move (you see this when you are at the game, but not on TV) City's nearest players to our man in possession started to press, those further away supported that press and those players furthest away moved to protect the 'breakout space' we might have used had we beaten the press. It was like watching a dance sequence, the smoothness, the speed, the intelligence shown was quite remarkable and I must say very impressive.

Our attempts at pressing were not usually enacted during actual play, but only when the play had come to a stand still, usually when the City keeper had the ball. The attempt at pressing, such as took place was done spasmodically, with only two, sometimes only one player making an effort and every one of the rest of our players stood like statues around the pitch waiting for something to happen, so they could then react , no doubt using their training skills developed at Carrington.

Watching the game from the South stand I couldn't see Ole's reaction, when these differences were seen taking place on the pitch, but I bet he had his head in his hands. There is a long long, way to go yet!

DomesticTadpole

Coaching and Training are sometimes confused together, generally training is aimed at getting up to a level of standard (usually reactive)performance, whereas coaching is employed to take you beyond that, towards (usually proactive) excellence. I suspect we train our players effectively to give them speed the stamina the basic skills to react, but compared with such as Pep I doubt our coaching capability.

An example, on Tuesday night whenever City lost the ball, immediately and as one, all ten outfield players started to move (you see this when you are at the game, but not on TV) City's nearest players to our man in possession started to press, those further away supported that press and those players furthest away moved to protect the 'breakout space' we might have used had we beaten the press. It was like watching a dance sequence, the smoothness, the speed, the intelligence shown was quite remarkable and I must say very impressive.

Our attempts at pressing were not usually enacted during actual play, but only when the play had come to a stand still, usually when the City keeper had the ball. The attempt at pressing, such as took place was done spasmodically, with only two, sometimes only one player making an effort and every one of the rest of our players stood like statues around the pitch waiting for something to happen, so they could then react , no doubt using their training skills developed at Carrington.

Watching the game from the South stand I couldn't see Ole's reaction, when these differences were seen taking place on the pitch, but I bet he had his head in his hands. There is a long long, way to go yet!
Then surely you sign players who are used to playing in a team that presses. If he really doesn't have a great talent for coaching, maybe having players who don't need the coaching to do pressing would help.

Nuel

I'm blind if I think coaching is the problem?
You clearly do not understand my post and that says a lot for someone who has eyes but apparently cannot see. Let me see if I can pry them open.

I have admitted that every club who wants to remain competitive needs better players. But our club certainly needs more than that if we can't coach the current group of players to attack in a disciplined way asides counter.

In the Liverpool v Arsenal cup game, Liverpool's kids played in a very similar style with the first team but it was clear to see that they wouldn't have concede those goals they conceded with the better qualities of their first team. I guess those kids are miles ahead of our first team in quality, eh? I don't think so. Their front three made moves like Mane-Firmino-Salah would not because they were that good but because they were coached in that way.

Nuel

Then surely you sign players who are used to playing in a team that presses. If he really doesn't have a great talent for coaching, maybe having players who don't need the coaching to do pressing would help.
Funny. That's what we've always done. We see a certain quality in a player we like, we sign them forgetting that quality was displayed because the player was coached to do what he did. After a while while when we don't coach them properly to do the things they were doing before we signed them, they 'lose' that quality and we say we must buy another better player.

DomesticTadpole

Funny. That's what we've always done. We see a certain quality in a player we like, we sign them forgetting that quality was displayed because the player was coached to do what he did. After a while while when we don't coach them properly to do the things they were doing before we signed them, they 'lose' that quality and we say we must buy another better player.
I'd agree with that. There's a reason you sign someone, play to their strengths, not try to change them completely.

AmanNits04

Two biggest problems with our squad are inconsistency and lack of squad depth. In one match we attack brilliantly and then the next match we look clueless, it could be because of the opposition we face. Training, playing more matches can help with the inconsistency but squad depth can only be cured with more signings.
Also, inconsistency can be reduced by signing some mature players, say around the age of 25-29.
IT's upto woodward now to give the money to sign the players we want,if he trusts Ole then he has to give him the budget to sign players, be it in this window or January.

Canagel

The truth is United have not been coached since Van Gaal left. Over reliance on individual ability and exposing our weakness with players that don't have the solutions and will 9 times out of 10 make the wrong decision is the reason we are in this position

DomesticTadpole

Two biggest problems with our squad are inconsistency and lack of squad depth. In one match we attack brilliantly and then the next match we look clueless, it could be because of the opposition we face. Training, playing more matches can help with the inconsistency but squad depth can only be cured with more signings.
Also, inconsistency can be reduced by signing some mature players, say around the age of 25-29.
IT's upto woodward now to give the money to sign the players we want,if he trusts Ole then he has to give him the budget to sign players, be it in this window or January.
Not being prepared properly will be a factor as well for inconsitency. Know your opposition.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Cheers.

I believe KdB's words were a slight dig more than anything else. It's a city rivalry in which they have gained the upper hand lately. We defeated them at their ground fair and square and they bounced back with "only 15 minutes of practice on the training ground" by showing who's the boss in Manchester. The truth is Pep put serious thought in his tactics going into that game. This is a plus for Solskjaer because it indicates that he gives the opposition managers, especially the ones at big clubs, something to worry about. Therefore, a case could be made regarding the sheer lack of options and the need for reinforcements. The main issue is that our best tactical plans don't work well enough when we have to generate space with our off the ball movement. There doesn't seem to be a plan B in place which creates additional issues because it makes us one dimensional in our approach. And the right synergies between the players still seem to be missing.

I'll try to explain what i mean and answer the questions you raise in your last paragraph by starting with our games against City, as they seem a good example because we've tasted both triumph and humiliation in them, and move toward the bigger picture. So please bear with me.

Let's start with the league game last season: We went into this one with a 532. It wasn't a random choice, there's a logic behind it. We wanted the two forwards upfront because we aimed to bypass City's high press by playing long-balls in behind their defence and, in particular, attack the spaces their constantly overlapping FBs leave behind. We had three midfielders to match City's three men in the centre of the park and the three men at the back would make it difficult for City to create numerical advantages in our third. It also suited our pressing tactics. We didn't press as high as City but we did want to have a pressing game because we are at our best when we can hit disorganized defences between transitions and there are spaces to exploit. It meant that we could push our lines a bit higher with the relative security the extra defender provides should City find a through ball between our lines. When we had to make something with the ball against an organized City defence, our goal remained the same but, instead of going direct, we tried to create numerical advantages on the left side. You see, our left CB was Lindelof (the ball-playing one) and the LCM was Pogba (our most creative player). The plan was for Lindelof to push a bit higher when we had the ball in the midfield. This would push Pogba to a more wide position on the left and with Shaw overlapping and Rashford cutting inside the left half-space, it would create a rhomboid shape on the left side and give us a potential 3v2 or 4v3 numerical advantage.

City needed to win and they looked rather nervous in the first 45 minutes. They had the possession, they were the more proactive side but the game could have gone either way if City hadn't found the solution to the problems with presented them. We weren't allowing them spaces to exploit and our midfielders were doing a good job at not allowing City to take advantages of the weaknesses of the 532 in the wide areas defensively. What changed the balance of the game was the introduction of Sane in the second half. He would not stay out wide to receive the ball like Sterling but he would tuck inside, create a 4v3 advantage in the midfield and, most importantly, allow City's midfield to create openings in the wide areas for the ball to move forward. This resulted in our midfield being forced very deep and our pressing game being nullified. For that, we didn't have an answer but City were very clinical too and relied a lot on the quality of their attackers.

Pep carried this thought into his second encounter with Solskjaer. His usual build-up revolves around his FBs playing more centrally. Not this time because he instructed them to stay wide and support the midfielders by creating numerical advantages in the midfield, bypassing our press and, subsequently, dominating the midfield. But Solskjaer anticipated this too. He abandoned any thoughts about altered formations and pressing. But, unlike Mourinho, he did try to keep his side as active as possible without the ball. Rashford and James ran their socks off to close down Walker and Angelino respectively while Lingard was keeping Rodri in check. We didn't push our lines higher, the plan was to remain as compact as possible. We were constantly closing down the aforementioned City players in the build-up phase when they were the first attackers (on the ball) and we used McT and Fred's energy and aggression to generate press traps against KdB and Silva and hit on the counter. These two did a tremendous job too at covering the half-spaces (the channels between the FBs and CBs) and not allowing Silva/KdB to make runs in the box. The plan was the same as in the first game, to exploit the spaces in the wide areas between transitions. We were far more effective because our tactical plan was better.

But Pep did react, again. Walker and Angelino tucked inside, Rodri pushed higher up the pitch and so did KdB and Silva and our midfielders were basically sandwiched between them. We were forced very deep but we remained very compact thanks to Fred and McT's resilience. City dominated possession, they pinned us down but they were also forced to play the ball wide and put crosses in our box more often than they would have liked. Their switches of play though managed to create a numerical advantage on the right side but AWB was outstanding for us in that game.

Not surprisingly, Solskjaer, as Pep previously, carried his successful tactics into the next meeting with City. Thus the choice to start Pereira in the midfield for the energy levels he provides. But Pep, in turn, anticipated him. The Rodri-Gundogan and Silva-KdB "square" in the midfield created the "sandwich" we talked about earlier on and generated a 4v3 in the midfield for City. There are some very good posts on here about this game that offer much insight and mine is already a long post. Let's just say that Pep threw the gauntlet at Ole: "If you want to use press traps against my play-makers and FBs, you'll have to abandon your compact shape". Lingard was outnumbered 1v2 against Rodri-Gundogan, one of the midfielders was always dragged wide and Silva-KdB were constantly 2v1 against the other. Game over.

So, Solskjaer isn't being paid 7.5 million p/y just to smile on the bench. There are things we want to do on the pitch. We understand the need to press/close down in order to hit between transitions. We want to create overloads on our left side or use James/Greenwood's pace on the right to generate chances. The problem lies with the choices we make in order to get there.

Solskjaer wants an energetic midfield that can cover lots of ground because it's essential to his pressing tactics. Solskjaer also wants to build the attack around Rashford and Martial. Finally, he wants a back-four capable to contribute in the build-up. Sounds about right? Let's try to dissect it into little pieces. All the energy in the world will not make a functional midfield when your midfielders lack positional awareness, vision and an adequate first touch. Why? Because on most occasions they will receive the ball from the CBs with their backs to the goal (and attempt a half-turn) or (as we have organized our build-up) they will receive a square pass from the FBs. Anyhow, the first one-two touches are crucial. I don't know about you but i always hold my breath when Fred attempts a half-turn. McT is probably the best of the lot because he actually gives a toss and tries to position himself in an angle that offers the CBs a passing option. But his passing skills still need honing, lots of it.

The (not so) funny part is that we saw that coming and that's one of the main reasons why allowed nonchalantly Smalling to leave and spent 150 odd million on AWB and Maguire. Because the ball-playing defenders have the luxury of seeing all kinds of movements ahead of them. But when you go with this option, you need attackers with the ability to compress the space until they receive the ball and then bring others into play. But Martial and Rashford aren't very good at this (yet). They thrive on the spaces behind defences, not in congested areas away from the box. This leaves the #10 with a lot of work to do. The result? Our lines are ridiculously far apart and our players on the ball have limited options. It works against the "possession-based" sides because our lines are very close to each other by design, our midfielders can get on the ball while facing the goal more easily and the attackers have dropped very deep because they know they can hit on the counter. Against organized defences, we want Rashford closer to the box and trying to link up with Martial and we want the #10 ready to make a run in behind or move to the left side to create an overload. But this means that the midfielders will actually have to produce something with the ball at their feet. But we also don't want to lose the energy levels they can provide. Stalemate.

I stand by what i said in my earlier posts. We have to create the right balance by maximizing our players' strengths, not by projecting what we wish them to become in the future. Lukaku's first touch hasn't improved under Conte but he plays in a system where he's not isolated and chasing shadows against defenders. He bullies the opposition centre-halves and creates space for Martinez who's silky skills make everything happen for Inter. Ronaldo thrives when there's another player (Tevez, Benz) whose movement creates pockets of space for him to attack. Try to shoehorn him with (a forward like) Raul and you'll get less impressive results. A midfield of Carrick-Scholes/Giggs can accommodate an ageing defence when the plan is to defend very deep and very narrow by minimizing the spaces the defenders have to cover. This tactic (the very low block) removes the need for a ball-winning midfielder and maximizes Carrick/Scholes/Gigg's passing skills and vision. How? By utilizing players(Nani-Valencia-Young etc.) who are comfortable receiving the ball in the wide areas and then cutting inside and not vice-versa. Also, by having two attacking FBs in Evra and Rafael who will overlap when the wingers cut inside. And by stretching the field horizontally, you create pockets of space for your forwards. That's how a lacklustre side on paper can run away with the league. Compare it with what we are doing now.

LvG failed because of his bad dealings in the market. Mourinho failed because of his arrogance. Solskjaer will fail because he's very idealistic for his own good. He's already introduced/improved three youngsters (McT, Williams, Greenwood), he's already led Martial and Rashford to have their most productive seasons and his three signings are seen as successes. That's six players, four of which are constant starters. Despite all that, we only have the odd win in the big games to show for. Why's that? Food for thought...

Last edited:

KekiZeki

I don't think our coaching is lacking on itself, I am sure it all sounds good in theory and I don't think any manager we've had would neglect to coach the team. We just don't have the players to implement it, that's why it looks like a mess. We the fans, but also our managers, expect more than this team can deliver.
The most disciplined we've been when we were set up to play against a certain strong team, usually defensive tactics when you can see what we've set out to do but that's not the United way. It might be the necessity now but not in the long run. The sooner we can stop setting our tactics to oppose the likes of City and Liverpool and force them to adapt to us the better. But it will take time, unfortunately.