Lack of quality in certain areas - De Gea

RedIan

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-goalkeeper-bemoans-squads-lack-of-quality

Refreshingly honest interview with David De-gea On sky sports, he states the reason for the teams inconsistent form is a lack of quality in “certain areas“ I guess he has to stop at naming players and the areas that need strengthening.. I dont ever recall a current player basically saying some players are not good enough in his team!

Its not hard to see which areas are weak. Why the hell could Ole not see this in the summer.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-goalkeeper-bemoans-squads-lack-of-quality

Refreshingly honest interview with David De-gea On sky sports, he states the reason for the teams inconsistent form is a lack of quality in “certain areas“ I guess he has to stop at naming players and the areas that need strengthening.. I dont ever recall a current player basically saying some players are not good enough in his team!

Its not hard to see which areas are weak. Why the hell could Ole not see this in the summer.
I do, and it cost the fiery Irishman his place at the club.

Not sure De Gea should be saying this to be honest. Not like it helps anything and Ole knows what is needed but we cant fix everything in one window.

Paul_Scholes18

Quality control
We need a better keeper first of all. That should lift the rest of the squad.

Red_toad

Ole wanted at least 2 midfielders, a right back, a central defender, a right winger. He pretty much covered the areas of need. Do you honestly expect the club to sign 7 or 8 players in 1 window?
is he suppose to know our best outfield player is going to miss months of the season? He also wanted to retain Lukaku. I don’t see what he missed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"The reaction of the team in the second half was important, but it's not enough. We should win these type of games to be on top, we need to win four or five games in a row to be at the top, but at the moment the team is not playing so well.

"We're giving it everything, we're trying to get those big wins that can put us high up in the table, but the truth is at the moment we're not consistent enough, there's much to train and much to improve.

"I don't think it's through any lack of effort, the boys are leaving everything out on the field in training and games. You could point maybe to a lack of quality in certain areas, but certainly not a lack of fight.
Agree with that but not sure if he should be saying that to media. You never know how these small interviews might lead to big issues.

Eric's Seagull

Maybe it wasn't Ole who couldn't see it. Ole may have been well aware of it but Woodward may have decided to not give him the funds to sort these areas out.

El Zoido

Can’t just keep blaming Ole. Jose left because he couldn’t secure the players he needed, it’s been a problem even since Fergie. Ole is one of the worst managers in history but I’m not even blaming him for this. I’m sure he would have loved another 3 players or more. “When will the match day fans turn on Ole?” I want to know when they’ll turn on the Glazers. It’s always the managers fault.

Godfather

Some honest words. It's clear as a day our midfield isn't close to being good enough. Our attack also lacks depth. We need a number nine, another right winger, 2 CMs and probably a left back.

Red Royal

I dont think De Geea has said anything out of order there. Pretty sure he means the central midfield and injuries to Pogba and Mctominay account for a lot of that.

It really is a shame with Arsenal and Spurs struggling that we've been unable to cement a place in the top 4 due to poor results at 'lesser' teams.

Hopefully him being able to talk about it neans he knows signings in January are on there way.

DoomSlayer

I do, and it cost the fiery Irishman his place at the club.

Not sure De Gea should be saying this to be honest. Not like it helps anything and Ole knows what is needed but we cant fix everything in one window.
This. I think these comments won't go down well in the dressing room. :nervous:

Mainoldo

Maybe it wasn't Ole who couldn't see it. Ole may have been well aware of it but Woodward may have decided to not give him the funds to sort these areas out.
Yes all Woodward wanted to do was spend money on his new toy Maguire. I’m sure Ole told him midfield was more important.

Green_Red

Ole feckjng seen it in the summer. How do you envisage he would have fixed it given the first hurdle is that a player has to want to come here and the second is they have to be at the right price. Blaming Ole for 6 years of bad recruitment is fecking stupid as.

Irrational.

Perhaps he should’ve thought of that before he signed that squillion pound a week contract. These kind of comments should stay in-house.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In fairness, he said it in the context of defending the players from accusations of a lack of effort and without naming the players or even positions that need strengthening. Extremely unlikely that any of the squad would object to that, I think. Especially coming from De Gea.

Skills

Snitch
What would the reaction be if he came out and highlighted the lack of quality among the coaching staff?

Eric's Seagull

In fairness, he said it in the context of defending the players from accusations of a lack of effort and without naming the players or even positions that need strengthening. Extremely unlikely that any of the squad would object to that, I think. Especially coming from De Gea.
I would rather things like this don't gto said in the media but he didn't name any specific players and he said encouraging about their commitment and fight. He may have been giving Woodward a hint that we need to sign a few players.

Kajus

Can’t just keep blaming Ole. Jose left because he couldn’t secure the players he needed, it’s been a problem even since Fergie. Ole is one of the worst managers in history but I’m not even blaming him for this. I’m sure he would have loved another 3 players or more. “When will the match day fans turn on Ole?” I want to know when they’ll turn on the Glazers. It’s always the managers fault.
Right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Refreshingly honest interview with David De-Gea On sky sports, he states the reason for the teams inconsistent form is a lack of quality in “certain areas“ I guess he has to stop at naming players and the areas that need strengthening.. I dont ever recall a current player saying some players are not good enough in his team!

Wayne Rooney implied something similar when he questioned the clubs' commitment to strengthening the squad and asking for a transfer as a result. His legend status is under threat due to that.

The fact is he was right, and so is De Gea.

King Andow

Midfield, obviously. That's a guy who played with Carrick and Scholes. Now we have Fred, Pereira and Lingard starting games. Must be pissed, rightfully so.

RedIan

Agree that it may not necessarily be Oles fault and should have included Woodward in opening post. If he wouldn’t provide the funds required then we cant blame Ole. Us punters will never know the truth in that area unless ole comes out and said Woodward wouldn’t back him further in summer after 3 purchases?

yes the pogba injury and now mcT have cost us but the lack of quality in any cover for injuries is crystal clear. Matic and Mata appear all but finished, Fellani sold and Herrera gone.. none of these 4 replaced - so we are left threadbare in midfield. Injuries are bound to come so where’s the quality cover? Pierra and Fred and then a couple of academy kids...
7 years since Fergie retired. Moyes - LVG - JM - Ole - and we are not getting any closer to winning the league, in fact top 4 looks a pipe dream... LACK OF QUALITY comment is spot on.

wolvored

He signed a new contract because he had been assured by Solksjaer/Woody of how we would move forward. Obviously this hasnt happened as we needed more than 3 coming in when we had 3 leave last season. He is either genuinely stating what is wrong, or purposely saying it hoping they will move him on. Like Pogba he has the opportunity to move to bigger teams that will win or have a great chance of winning the big trophies.

MrBrightside1989

He could hardly come out and say the squad was world class, could he? Just really stating the obvious...

ReddBalls

What would the reaction be if he came out and highlighted the lack of quality among the coaching staff?
Why would he sign a new lengthy contract if he thought the coaching staff lacked quality? He seemed to refuse to sign until Mourinho was gone.

The_Order

Imagine if Pogba had said this, they'd be burning/lynching effigies.

Gomes

Hopefully this type of interview will allow Ole to actually spend in January even if that means overpaying so we can bring in a CM.
Is there a part that excludes Ole from his assessment? Don't remember which game he gave a post-match interview for but thought it was bloody obvious that he doesn't rate the manager either.
And really, why would he?

Irwin99

Similar but way less brutal than Keane's post Bayern Munich game rant of 2001; 'The lads have given it their all but the fact is we're just not good enough'.

On a side note, we might have got a bit more quality in the squad if we'd got that extra money for being in the champions league this season. DDG's form was a big factor as to why we didn't get that. Very harsh but true.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Obviously. We have only a handful of Manchester United quality players. De Gea isn't one either.

The Bloody-Nine

Obviously. We have only a handful of Manchester United quality players. De Gea isn't one either.
Yes, arguably the best goalkeeper in the world over the last 5 seasons isn't good enough for Man Utd. Right.