Lack of quality in certain areas - De Gea

Green_Red

In your opinion. What's it that it's ole to blame?
Well to be honest, when I look at the squad we have I believe we are exactly where we would be expected to be. Before the season began every man and his dog knew we would struggle to break teams down, which we have. Everyone knew we'd suffer if we lost any of our front three or midfield to injury, we have. Everyone knew the players shipped out were not performing at the level they needed to be, so they were shipped out. Could we be doing better on the pitch? Arguably yes, intelligently no. There is no blame, very few managers would have us in any better a position than we currently are.

red4ever 79

Good for De Gea. I am a big fan of taking the honest approach. Mind you last time he did this after Newcastle he had the captaincy taken off him:)

youmeletsfly

That's what I thought. One not so great season and de Gea is already complete shite. Amazing really. :houllier: :lol:
That's what fan forums have to give, people expect all 11 players to be at some godlike level of play for a gazillion years, especially Man United /Roy Keane admirers.
It's the most entitled fan base around the world, the "biggest club" with the worst fans.

Without Degea we would've won jack shit in the last 5 years, absolutely jack shit. He's the only player you should remember from the post Ferguson era. It's a bit sad to come here and read those nasty comments about him from some little pricks.

We're slowly turning into scouse fans.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There is no blame, very few managers would have us in any better a position than we currently are.
I largely agree. There are managers who might have squeezed more out of the available players, but the idea that Ole is sensationally bad in terms of in-game management and coaching doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

However, the key point - as I see it - is this: there is no blame, as you say, IF and only IF it now turns out by and by that we've actually turned a corner in terms of long-term strategy. I fully agree with your take on both injuries (squad depth, in short, and the realistic consequences of going into the season with the present staff) and outs (the players we let go were right calls to a man with the one possible exception of Herrera - but as has been stated ad nauseam, that wasn't Ole's decision). But all of this only makes sense as a step, as part (and parcel) of a plan which includes bringing in further, and right, recruits over the next windows - with a tangible and undeniable positive effect on what we see on the pitch.

To sum it up, we can't conclude at the present time whether Ole is - or United are, on the whole - doing it right. It remains to be seen. And given what we've witnessed so far in the Woodward era, there is every reason not to be giddy (at all) about our situation. Everyone - Ole, Ed, the players, the tea lady and the kit man - has everything to prove, really.

Amir

He signed a new contract because he had been assured by Solksjaer/Woody of how we would move forward. Obviously this hasnt happened as we needed more than 3 coming in when we had 3 leave last season. He is either genuinely stating what is wrong, or purposely saying it hoping they will move him on. Like Pogba he has the opportunity to move to bigger teams that will win or have a great chance of winning the big trophies.
He signed the new contract in September, when the transfer window was already closed. It's not about disappointment from the number of summer transfers or an attempt to leave.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well to be honest, when I look at the squad we have I believe we are exactly where we would be expected to be. Before the season began every man and his dog knew we would struggle to break teams down, which we have. Everyone knew we'd suffer if we lost any of our front three or midfield to injury, we have. Everyone knew the players shipped out were not performing at the level they needed to be, so they were shipped out. Could we be doing better on the pitch? Arguably yes, intelligently no. There is no blame, very few managers would have us in any better a position than we currently are.
I hate to bring this to you, but Jose attained 2nd with a shitter squad then ole's

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If anyone in our team has earned the right to speak out and try to pressure the club into some ambition it is de Gea. I completely understand his desperation to try to move the club forward by any means necessary. A world class keeper held back by a team overseen by a board of absolute idiots.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean it's not exactly controversial to say that Fred and Andreas Pereira as a midfield pairing aren't up to the right quality. It's not a premier league level midfield, let alone United level.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Probably not for one of the current players to be moaning at our lack of quality.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I just wish the club would get over this awful policy of signing 3 or less players.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s not like he’s wrong, but maybe it’s not wise to say it in public.
In a way he should probably focus on his own game, he’s not been at his best for a little while now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s not like he’s wrong, but maybe it’s not wise to say it in public.
In a way he should probably focus on his own game, he’s not been at his best for a little while now.
Why not?

Our young players has been wrapped in a blanket of cashmere wool, Ole has nothing but praise for them in the media, nobody throws them under the bus anymore, it's all PC talk of young and learning, passion and stuff.

See any of them improving?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So first day back in training after he says that, I wonder how many players will go up to him and say "so who are you calling lacking in quality then pal"

Shimo

Read the article early and didn't think anything of it but, stating the obvious. Our depth and quality in certain areas is really bad at the moment. But, these days can make anything seem like an issue.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So first day back in training after he says that, I wonder how many players will go up to him and say "so who are you calling lacking in quality then pal"
I mean, that's the problem if it happens? Idiots in the squad who think they made it

Gazza

Ole really does get an easy ride from some... our squad is miles better than most of the teams we’ve dropped points to this season.

Dec9003

Why not?

Our young players has been wrapped in a blanket of cashmere wool, Ole has nothing but praise for them in the media, nobody throws them under the bus anymore, it's all PC talk of young and learning, passion and stuff.

See any of them improving?
PC talk? :lol:
He didn't even specifically mention young players did he? He just said we lack quality in certain areas.He's not wrong about that, but it's probably not the best idea to go to the media saying we lack quality.
Fair play on managing to spin it against Solskjaer though, a lot of you are getting really proficient at that.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not sure some of the higher ups will be happy about it, but i am glad he said it. While everyone is busy bickering about Ole the real cancer at the club is the Glazers and Woody and it has always been that way.

Summer 2018 we only bought Fred and Dalot and spent only 50 million net, although it was clear as day the squad needed strengthening in other areas. Apparently we could not afford another 60 million for Maguire and Jose lost the plot, we instead buy him one year later for 20 million more. Its also worth noting we only spent roughly 90 million net this summer when it was abundantly clear we needed more than that

Ed also gave Sanchez that ridiculous fecking contract, and at the same time denied Herreras demands for a new contract, leading us to lose one of our most important players for free

The Bloody-Nine

Not sure some of the higher ups will be happy about it, but i am glad he said it. While everyone is busy bickering about Ole the real cancer at the club is the Glazers and Woody and it has always been that way.

Summer 2018 we only bought Fred and Dalot and spent only 50 million net, although it was clear as day the squad needed strengthening in other areas. Apparently we could not afford another 60 million for Maguire and Jose lost the plot, we instead buy him one year later for 20 million more. Its also worth noting we only spent roughly 90 million net this summer when it was abundantly clear we needed more than that

Ed also gave Sanchez that ridiculous fecking contract, and at the same time denied Herreras demands for a new contract, leading us to lose one of our most important players for free
I don't disagree with much of what you say, but I think there's some revisionism there when it comes to Herrera. He was never one of our most important players, in my opinion.

el3mel

TBF to him he has been enduring shite in front of him for 6-7 years now. I think he's finally starting to lose patience with the rest of the team.

DWelbz19

The one in net was a glaring issue last season.

DWelbz19

TBF to him he has been enduring shite in front of him for 6-7 years now. I think he's finally starting to lose patience with the rest of the team.
Nobody held a gun to his head and told him to stay. He signed a new contract for a very large sum of money.

el3mel

Nobody held a gun to his head and told him to stay. He signed a new contract for a very large sum of money.
Maybe there won't many other clubs interested. Maybe he was promised something while negotiating the contract. We don't know. It's not something to hold against him and tbh I prefer such quotes than the typical "We'll do better next game" we have been hearing from everyone for 6 years and we're still waiting for this "next game" to come.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole really does get an easy ride from some... our squad is miles better than most of the teams we’ve dropped points to this season.
People do seem so intent on slating our players that they totally ignore some of the team we're playing have much worse players.
Like Newcastle, or West Ham, both of whom we lost to!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Imagine if Pogba had said this, they'd be burning/lynching effigies.
If Pogba had openly questioned the club’s ambitions instead of publicly saying he wanted to leave I’d have no problem with that, in fact I would have applauded him pressuring the hierarchy.