Lack of quality in certain areas - De Gea

ReddBalls

People do seem so intent on slating our players that they totally ignore some of the team we're playing have much worse players.
Like Newcastle, or West Ham, both of whom we lost to!
And whom City drew and Chelsea lost to today.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Ole really does get an easy ride from some... our squad is miles better than most of the teams we’ve dropped points to this season.
Squad maybe but games are played 11 vs 11 not squad vs squad. If some of the best players in our squad are missing for a particular game then that 11 isn't 'miles' better is it?

Glad a player is pointing out what many here don't seem to be able to grasp. Needs to look at his own performances though, every shot on target seems to end up in the back of our net.

The_Order

If he delivered half as well as DDG nobody would give a shit. Don't compare the two.
Go look up the numbers, Pogba is our best player,

It could be argued that DDG cost the team top 4 at the end of last season.

You lot deserve your Lingard/Perreira future.

The Bloody-Nine

Some of us use our eyes, as opposed to looking at numbers. How many times has Pogba been voted our player of the year?

Sterling Archer

:lol: unbelievable

So the Ole cult will turn it's blind hatred and burn in effigy anyone that is critical of our current state, even if it's one of our lone bright spots since Sir Alex retired.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's bang on the money. No sugar coating. We are a seriously average team and some may even go further and say poor.

We are miles off Liverpool.

Bondi77

He is right in what he says but if he is going to give a truthful interview then I wonder what he would say if he was asked why he signed a new deal at the club.
I noticed that he carpools with Andreas to training, I would love to be a fly on the dashboard there.

Green_Red

I hate to bring this to you, but Jose attained 2nd with a shitter squad then ole's
Context is a beautiful thing. How many points behind did we finish? How close to us were 3rd place? How many points did De Gea save that season?

The United

I am sure Ole would want more players. He has not signed too many yet. It is not like he signed 8 and 6 turned out shit and no one trusted him anymore like past managers.

The other thing is that people are saying that Dave should have not said it in public is something to do with the morale in dressing room among players. It is not like those fans are defending Ole.

It is weird that some people start shit like calling fans Ole's cult who gave everything to the club while some of them being in Jose's cult who were shitting on the club for his own ego.

It is not exactly weird to give a break to fans who are still rooting for Ole at this point at the moment.

Al-T

DeGea is right.

The irony is that, the only position where we actually HAVE cover of suitable quality is Goalkeeper.

fps

Seems like a message to the board more than the manager. As for the players who aren’t good enough, I can’t imagine someone as good as him has much time for Lingard, Jones or Shaw still being at the club.

Johan07

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-goalkeeper-bemoans-squads-lack-of-quality

Refreshingly honest interview with David De-gea On sky sports, he states the reason for the teams inconsistent form is a lack of quality in “certain areas“ I guess he has to stop at naming players and the areas that need strengthening.. I dont ever recall a current player basically saying some players are not good enough in his team!

Its not hard to see which areas are weak. Why the hell could Ole not see this in the summer.
I have also seen quotes that says "certain areas of play".
Even without the "of play" its easy to interpret what Dave says as him criticising the performance of the teams play "in certain areas" (like offensively maybe) rather than qualitites of individual players. Especially considering he is actually hailing the players performances in the rest of the interview.
But hey, that would not make clickbait, would it?

Paul_Scholes18

DeGea is right.

The irony is that, the only position where we actually HAVE cover of suitable quality is Goalkeeper.
The problem is that De Gea was terrible last season and cost us top 4. Has also not been great this season.
He is part of our problems right now.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Yeah you right, DDG doesn't have as many goals or assists, nevermind Pogba not letting in as many goals as DDG.

I genuinely cannot wait until he fecks off and all the circus goes alongside him. We've moved about half of it with Mourinho, now time for the other half.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Context is a beautiful thing. How many points behind did we finish? How close to us were 3rd place? How many points did De Gea save that season?
Ok. But do you honestly hand in hearts uses that same standard for ole?

If Jose 2nd is shit, what do you call this season? We're 21 pts away from top and 5 pts closer to relegation area.

Do enlighten me what do you call this?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wayne Rooney implied something similar when he questioned the clubs' commitment to strengthening the squad and asking for a transfer as a result. His legend status is under threat due to that.

The fact is he was right, and so is De Gea.
Going to go a little off topic here.

Rooney said it back when we were league champions, were being managed by the greatest manager the club ever had and with his contract running down with the implication that he won't sign a new one.

The fact that he promptly signed a new bumper contract after Fergie turned the screw on him and that he no longer made any complains afterwards, even as we got worse post Fergie suggest he wasn't really thinking about the state of the team as much as himself.

De Gea is saying this after a years of underachievement and after he's signed a new contract.

VJ1762

The problem is that De Gea was terrible last season and cost us top 4. Has also not been great this season.
Yeah, because rest of the team were smacking other teams left, right and center.
He was poor towards the end of last season,no doubt, but he still saved points vs tottenham( we were battered in the second half) and the like. And this season, he looks like he is somewhat back to his best. He was excellent even last weekend. Some people here defend Pogba to the max when you can count on one hand, the number of matches he has won us on his own( Only the everton and man city game in 2018 come to mind), whereas DDG has been saving our asses for the last 6 years. So I don't want to hear no DDG slander, until the rest of the team fixes up.

Our defence is still a problem, our midfield can't string 2 passes together, our attack is inconsistent. And Mr Baby faced Assasin should have given DDG the armband, instead of Ashley fecking young. Liverpool won titles with Groebbelar, hell City won 2 titles with Joe Hart. Are you seriously telling me that DDG is not better than both of them? Forget the Martial FC and Pogba FC shite, we have been DDG FC for the last several years. If Big Pete was a bargain at 500k, DDG was a bargain at 19 million. The best bit of business we have done this century, other than CR7 and Wayne rooney. The guy has gone from playing with Giggs, RVP, rooney,scholes, carrick to Martial, rashford, james, fred and andreas. The drop in quality is ridiculous. He was right to call out the team.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ted-goalkeeper-bemoans-squads-lack-of-quality

Refreshingly honest interview with David De-gea On sky sports, he states the reason for the teams inconsistent form is a lack of quality in “certain areas“ I guess he has to stop at naming players and the areas that need strengthening.. I dont ever recall a current player basically saying some players are not good enough in his team!

Its not hard to see which areas are weak. Why the hell could Ole not see this in the summer.
Ole knows the lack of quality but we can't fix everything in one summer and the manager has stated this before that it will take more than 1 summer transfer window.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I hate to bring this to you, but Jose attained 2nd with a shitter squad then ole's
The reality is that our players have improved under Ole which made you think we have better squad than Jose. Jose wasn't interested to improve the talented players that he had at that time so he chose to wasted the money on more proven quality players to achieved short term 2nd place and then followed with a downfall the next following season.

If you think we had shitter squad under Jose than right now then the only person you can blame is Jose himself. Why did he waste the money on Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, and etc when he could focus more on defense and rely on Rashford & Martial up front like what Ole did in our last summer transfer window?

Nikelesh Reddy

Shocked to hear this from De Gea of all people.His interviews are normally a snooze fest,just diplomatic answers to every question really...

Acole9

Outstanding
We need a better keeper first of all. That should lift the rest of the squad.
Haha very good, I've got a rival for some of my tongue in cheek posts. De Gea's performances have improved in recent times. He is far from the problem here.

POF

It never ceases to amaze me when fans make comments like this. That they honestly believe that Ole was delighted with the quality and depth of his squad going into the season.

When he talked about a "long term rebuild", what did you think he meant by that exactly?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Perhaps he should’ve thought of that before he signed that squillion pound a week contract. These kind of comments should stay in-house.
He's in a position to say these things because he's one of the best and highest paid players in the squad.
He can see that not enough is being done about it so is calling them out. This can only be a good thing considering how desperate we are for it to happen.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Imagine if Pogba had said this, they'd be burning/lynching effigies.
De Gea has been the ultimate professional though, even when a move looked to be on the cards. He's stayed quiet and got on with things. He's also been very very very good for almost his entire time here, and one of our most consistent players, last season aside.
Not saying Pogba isn't professional, but I don't think the shouts of being distracted are totally unjustified and he certainly hasn't been focussed/consistent.

Paul_Scholes18

Haha very good, I've got a rival for some of my tongue in cheek posts. De Gea's performances have improved in recent times. He is far from the problem here.
He has been better than last year, but still far from his best years. Still let in too many easy goals I think even if he doesn't make any big errors.

Our attack and midfield is the bigger problem, but we could need a better keeper too.

The_Order

De Gea has been the ultimate professional though, even when a move looked to be on the cards. He's stayed quiet and got on with things. He's also been very very very good for almost his entire time here, and one of our most consistent players, last season aside.
Not saying Pogba isn't professional, but I don't think the shouts of being distracted are totally unjustified and he certainly hasn't been focussed/consistent.
Has he, yeah, he doesnt get a mic pushed in his face as much as Pogba. In fact Pogba's profile aside, I would argue that DDG has been as much of a distraction - he just doesnt generate as much clicks due to not having PP's social media presence. Every summer they both get linked to RM.

DDG was distracted by the end of last season leading to us dropping massive points. He's been linked to a move every summer for like 7 years now? But no one seems to be saying "feck off with your circus" like we are seeing for Pogba.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Has he, yeah, he doesnt get a mic pushed in his face as much as Pogba. In fact Pogba's profile aside, I would argue that DDG has been as much of a distraction - he just doesnt generate as much clicks due to not having PP's social media presence. Every summer they both get linked to RM.

DDG was distracted by the end of last season leading to us dropping massive points. He's been linked to a move every summer for like 7 years now? But no one seems to be saying "feck off with your circus" like we are seeing for Pogba.
Perhaps because of reasons mentioned in my post. And Pogba has put himself in the limelight.

The Red Thinker

If there's any player in that squad who can come out and openly say that there is a "lack of quality" in the squad, it's DDG. He's stuck with the club even when the good times have long gone. He's there with us through this treacherous transition period. He's a proper United man and can say what he wants. His loyalty is unquestionable.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Perhaps because of reasons mentioned in my post. And Pogba has put himself in the limelight.
Nevermind his agent openly saying he should move on and Pogba doing nothing to dispel it, his PR social media teams and their ill timed feck ups, his brother(s) echoing what Raiola says, then you've got all the dab clowning, Pogba emojis and all that shit.

But yeah, let's just pretend it doesn't happen, the 'circus' is unjustified and he's merely a victim of hearsay and he only gets a mic pushed to his face. Then act some faux outrage 'if Pogba did X then Y'. And be stupid enough to compare it with DDG.

SAFMUTD

If he delivered half as well as DDG nobody would give a shit. Don't compare the two.
I mean Pogba was by far our best player last season, most goals, most assists, most chances created...but yeah he has fail to deliver.

It seems no matter how good Pogba does as long as the team remains getting poor results he will be blamed for it.

Mr PG

We need to buy Mousset from Sheffield. Missed out on mane but this lad is just as good of not better. His movement and workrate is incredible.

The_Order

I mean Pogba was by far our best player last season, most goals, most assists, most chances created...but yeah he has fail to deliver.

It seems no matter how good Pogba does as long as the team remains getting poor results he will be blamed for it.
Pretty much,

the unconscious bias triumphs against all facts.

Smores

I always find it odd when people get all offended on behalf of other players.

Our performances have been played out in public, the players themselves are advertising their own shitness week on week.

It's still a top 4 squad though so if the players want to be angry at criticism they should look at themselves and the coach first. Queue the "wah wah i like Ole, don't be mean crowd".

Mr PG

It was Ole’s fault he didn’t have the balls to make right call to bench him. I had been complaining about Degea for half the season and before the last 8 games I predicted to my mate that teams would start shooting from 35yards and Chelsea did and scored. I honestly wanted ole fired over the summer for this mental weakness. He has improved but it has cost us a few games already at the beginning of the season where he waits too long to make changes and seemed wary of offending players.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
So first day back in training after he says that, I wonder how many players will go up to him and say "so who are you calling lacking in quality then pal"
So what?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Squad maybe but games are played 11 vs 11 not squad vs squad. If some of the best players in our squad are missing for a particular game then that 11 isn't 'miles' better is it?

Glad a player is pointing out what many here don't seem to be able to grasp. Needs to look at his own performances though, every shot on target seems to end up in the back of our net.
Oh fecking hell... give me a fecking break. So Newcastle and Sheffield United have comparable starting 11 to us now? :lol: