Larnell Cole

Ekeke

Sounds a lot like Cleverley then, only that Cole is quicker and more technical?
No, nothing like him. Cleverley is a passer first and foremost, everything else is a lot more average with him. He's not particularly creative, he tends to play high percentage passes but with them he'll spread the ball side to side. Whereas Cole is all about the quick feet he can create space for a shot and can hit them with left and right foot. If Cole could pass more like Cleverley thats when he'd have a chance, but right now he just plays 8 yard passes to the person next to him. He's not going to switch play or anything like that

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
We should try and get first option on Patrick Roberts as part of the deal he looks a huge talent
Moussa Dembele looks a cracking player for their under 18 side.
We should definitely try to get some kind of first option on these guys. Roberts is one of the best players I've seen at academy level and Dembele tore our u21s a new one despite being 17 at the time.

Rossa

No, nothing like him. Cleverley is a passer first and foremost, everything else is a lot more average with him. He's not particularly creative, he tends to play high percentage passes but with them he'll spread the ball side to side. Whereas Cole is all about the quick feet he can create space for a shot and can hit them with left and right foot. If Cole could pass more like Cleverley thats when he'd have a chance, but right now he just plays 8 yard passes to the person next to him. He's not going to switch play or anything like that
Ah, thanks for the update - as you might have realized from that, I don't watch a lot of reserve matches.

Ekeke

Ah, thanks for the update - as you might have realized from that, I don't watch a lot of reserve matches.
Sure and its not like I catch them all, someone who has watched Larnell for years might be able to tell me that he's shown before that he can play longer passes and he has that somewhere in his locker. I dont know, I just know from the certain amount of games I've seen that its a glaring part of his game that if he was good at it (playing the ball all over the pitch instead of really short passes to someone next to him) he'd actually have an excellent chance I think, because with his tricky feet and good shot he should be able to get a couple of goals a season as well

jb8521

We should definitely try to get some kind of first option on these guys. Roberts is one of the best players I've seen at academy level and Dembele tore our u21s a new one despite being 17 at the time.
Yeah Dembele has a ridiculous scoring record this season across under 18 and under 21 he has scored something like 21 in 15 games and Roberts is definitely in the top bracket of young English players in the past 10 years

jb8521

Sure and its not like I catch them all, someone who has watched Larnell for years might be able to tell me that he's shown before that he can play longer passes and he has that somewhere in his locker. I dont know, I just know from the certain amount of games I've seen that its a glaring part of his game that if he was good at it (playing the ball all over the pitch instead of really short passes to someone next to him) he'd actually have an excellent chance I think, because with his tricky feet and good shot he should be able to get a couple of goals a season as well
Its something I've noticed with a lot of the lads who have been with the academy from a young age its like playing the ball short and keeping it on the ground is drilled into them so much that they often dont spot the longer pass or are reluctant to play it where as a few of the lads who came into the academy at 16 like Goss, Pereira and even McConnell are more likely to play the longer ball if its on

Sir A1ex

I'm sure we will have a first option should he come good though.
Ah another one of those!

It's lucky we always put these clauses in (and lucky that such clauses do, indeed exist). Otherwise we wouldn't have the team full of amazing youth prospects that we've sold then bought back which we have today!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Ah another one of those!

It's lucky we always put these clauses in (and lucky that such clauses do, indeed exist). Otherwise we wouldn't have the team full of amazing youth prospects that we've sold then bought back which we have today!
Hilarious, they are there as a fail safe. We could have quite easily seen it implemented as in the case of Mats Daelhi. Chances are he won't come back and that he isn't good enough. But you can't be too careful.

Giggsforever

Never good enough. Can't really see any of the players in our current under 21s being close to making it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Think he could become as good as Cleverley. Although good to see him going to Rene.

Minkaro

Midfield starlet’s agent explains why he had to leave Manchester United

Plenty of eyebrows were raised when Manchester United let Larnell Cole join Fulham on transfer deadline day in a permanent deal because there were high expectations of the 20-year-old from those who followed the academy sides.

However, his agent Peter Morrison has explained to the Daily Mail that the club did not want to let him leave but for the sake of his career, Cole felt he had to leave for pastures new.

He said: “Larnell was quite a unique case. He was technically way and above many of those around him but physically, he was still developing.

“Some clubs can fear sending players on loan because for all the benefits, playing in front of fans and the exposure to physicality as well as meaningful competition, the downside is they maybe don’t quite continue to work on the things they need to improve on, which means they could ultimately fall short of the required standard at their parent club when they return.

His agent continued: “It was a tough decision for him to leave United. They were not pushing him out of the door, quite the opposite, but Larnell felt like there wasn’t going to be too many opportunities in the near future and it had got to the stage where he wasn’t going to improve anymore by playing in the Under 21 league for another 12 months.” Peter Morrison
“With Larnell, there were opportunities to go out on loan in this window but prior to that, he was the kind of player that would have needed to have gone to a team that suited his style of play. Both the club and the player didn’t feel that there was the right Championship club available.

“It is crucial that players are placed in good hands with coaches who will continue to develop them in the right way because league position alone is not a sufficient enough reason for players to join a club, despite the perception.”

Physical development should never be a reason why a youngster isn’t given a chance. If that was the case, Paul Scholes would never have been a United player and this year, the slight framed Adnan Januzaj hasn’t done too bad for himself has he?

Cole’s departure means he is now the latest in a string of talented players including Pogba, Morrison and Daehli who have left United before being given a chance in the first team which is a testament to how poor the Under-21s Premier League is for player development.

It’s a shame that he isn’t still a United player but in reality, the likes of Jesse Lingard and Wilfried Zaha were more likely to get first team appearances before Cole did.

He now has every chance of going on to be a very good player at Fulham and hopefully he does manage to fulfill the fantastic potential he showed at Carrington. Good luck, Larnell.
Source

The Daily Mail article that this refers to.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was hoping the deal would end up being for a loan, but I can understand his position in feeling a permanent move was right for him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
What performances?
In general, not specific, Larnell played well on tour pre-season, which I realise is mickey mouse compared with the EPL, but I don't see that he can be much worse than Young/ Valencia and in time I think that will be shown that he will go on to have a better career than both.

mufcwarm92

In general, not specific, Larnell played well on tour pre-season, which I realise is mickey mouse compared with the EPL, but I don't see that he can be much worse than Young/ Valencia and in time I think that will be shown that he will go on to have a better career than both.
Don't think he's shown remotely enough to make that sort of statement. Young and Valencia were crucial players in title winning sides, the latter in two of them. At his current level he's not even close to Young or Valencia.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That's Lingard, not Larnell.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Don't think he's shown remotely enough to make that sort of statement. Young and Valencia were crucial players in title winning sides, the latter in two of them. At his current level he's not even close to Young or Valencia.
Sorry mate, turns out I haven't woken up this morning, for some reason I was confusing Jesse Lingard with Larnell Cole

That's Lingard, not Larnell.
Quite right, how stupid of me :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The complete shambles that is the U-21s league this season has a lot to answer for. Really annoying.
Absolutely, it's a complete joke, players need to play. Warren Joyce's recent comments should hopefully wake a few people up to the issue.

lysglimt

Scout
It's kinda ironic that Fulham at first team level probably hasn't looked worse since they got promoted - while the long-term future of Fulham has never looked better.

I can hardly remember the last time Fulham had a decent young player - now they possible have one of the most exciting young teams in the country.

forevrared

I had a bad feeling that he and Tunnicliffe's futures were directly tied to the shaky state of Meulensteen's job. Shame, they could've been shipped off on loan from United.