Television Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Cina

Think it's more appropriate to have this in the entertainment forum!

Didn't realise it was back, I'll have to catch up later.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Think it's more appropriate to have this in the entertainment forum!
Yeah I signaled this as soon as I created the thread, but wasn't moved. Better in the EF, definitely.

The first two have been great, I'd say it stills has the same flaws as last year (some little segments seem a bit disconnected and random, like the one on Sports Illustrated this week), but it's overall still very funny, you can tell he's extremely confident and comfortable (though he never really seemed faze before). The big segments are incredibly close to investigative journalism, sure he and his team have the benefit of a whole week to work on them, but it's still damn impressive.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Last year, he raised awareness that ultimately resulted in two positive outcomes

1) Net neutrality with the FCC
2) Civil Forfeiture (Aka Police Robbery)

I wonder if there will be much more this year, considering the higher profile the show has, compared to last year.

Cina

The tobacco segment was fantastic, love this show. It must be a nightmare for him to film too. The diseased lung mascot at the end and U2 swipe :lol:

kotha

Great start to the show this year.. Hope they maintain that level,I feel maybe having just 1 show per week gives them more time to research each issue in depth..

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I like the show but the bit where he constantly raises his voice in sarcastic anger gets old. I would prefer him to bring it out once in a while not 3/4 times a rant.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Great start to the show this year.. Hope they maintain that level,I feel maybe having just 1 show per week gives them more time to research each issue in depth..
Definitely their strongest point, yeah. Also, I think I read that he has people on his staff with a background in investigative journalism, which is very noticeable in those segments.
I like the show but the bit where he constantly raises his voice in sarcastic anger gets old. I would prefer him to bring it out once in a while not 3/4 times a rant.
I see what you mean, but I think it works for him. It does convey the utter ridiculousness of what he's usually depicting, and he puts himself in the position of the guy discovering the issues and being outraged at them, which puts him on the same level as his audience to a certain extent. I think it works for him overall.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Definitely their strongest point, yeah. Also, I think I read that he has people on his staff with a background in investigative journalism, which is very noticeable in those segments.

I see what you mean, but I think it works for him. It does convey the utter ridiculousness of what he's usually depicting, and he puts himself in the position of the guy discovering the issues and being outraged at them, which puts him on the same level as his audience to a certain extent. I think it works for him overall.
Yeah it's definitely worked for him and can be very effective, but I'd still like it toned down. But that's just a comedic nitpick

Cina

Funnily enough, one of the biggest tobacco brands in Ireland are currently trying to take legal action against the Government here too cause we're trying to implement the same basic branding laws that Australia did.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Realy good show again this week, the main segment on elected judges was very interesting:

Though it was a bit shorter than most of his main pieces and I think there was easily material to go a bit further with that subject.

Charlie Foley

I really like it, and I didn't think he was great on The Daily Show.

My girlfriend's family are a bit 'God bless America' so whenever I'm over there and he's on I try to make them watch, normally they don't:lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Realy good show again this week, the main segment on elected judges was very interesting:

Though it was a bit shorter than most of his main pieces and I think there was easily material to go a bit further with that subject.
That's terrifying.

Cina

I loved the bits on Greece and the Chinese New Year. Great show.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
What an obscure subject to choose, 'infrastructure'. Still pulled it off perfectly, mind.

EDIT: that trailer at the end with Norton and Buscemi! :lol:

Last edited:

Cina

he's starting to piss me off. I still enjoy the show and what he covers, but I agree with the poster above that his little shouts and jokes followed by a smirk and then "look, look..." are becoming a bit monotonous and annoying at this stage.

Loved the little tobacco segment at the end. G'wan Ireland!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
he's starting to piss me off. I still enjoy the show and what he covers, but I agree with the poster above that his little shouts and jokes followed by a smirk and then "look, look..." are becoming a bit monotonous and annoying at this stage.

Loved the little tobacco segment at the end. G'wan Ireland!
Opposite for me I guess. He's growing on me, but those were my main issues originally. It's really annoying.

It still is, I'm just less bothered now than before, and appreciate the rest of it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I can't really get annoyed at such little details when it overall makes me laugh, a lot, and it offers such intelligent insight on some really interesting issues.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I can't really get annoyed at such little details when it overall makes me laugh, a lot, and it offers such intelligent insight on some really interesting issues.
oooo, such intelligent insight, ooooohh

Cina

the bits that make me laugh generally don't come from Oliver though, more so the little snippets from the news and the fake trailers and adverts they do.

Which is fine, because Oliver's segments are still very interesting, but what he says isn't very funny.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
oooo, such intelligent insight, ooooohh
ffs
the bits that make me laugh generally don't come from Oliver though, more so the little snippets from the news and the fake trailers and adverts they do.

Which is fine, because Oliver's segments are still very interesting, but what he says isn't very funny.
You honestly don't find Oliver's stuff funny? I like the fake trailers and adverts of course (I don't find the other segments such as 'how is this still a thing' that funny, though), but the core of the show is the recap of the week and then the main segment, and I get quite a few laugh out loud moments from those (on top of the info that is delivered).

Cina

ffs

You honestly don't find Oliver's stuff funny? I like the fake trailers and adverts of course (I don't find the other segments such as 'how is this still a thing' that funny, though), but the core of the show is the recap of the week and then the main segment, and I get quite a few laugh out loud moments from those (on top of the info that is delivered).
Not really, no, because the way he phrases and delivers the lines is annoying.