Laurence Fox feat. Elvis

Which is a problem and it shows in the quality of content compared to years gone by.

I do believe the BBC does try to be impartial and have very credible journalists, but certain incidents really do ruin their credibility a great deal and you can just feel it with the public. I think there's been a bias against Jeremy Corbyn for example, and a huge bias against Trump. It's not open bias but it's done maybe unconsciously (giving benefit of doubt) in reporting, story selection and in it's editing for news segments. An example of a credible journalist to me is Andrew Niell, unfortunately he's leaving. An example of a poor one is Emily Maitliss who in a BBC standard context is well pretty open about her more liberal left leaning bias and I think she heads Newsnight. I take your point about the production of that show which is and can be seperate from the presenter and is something il be on the lookout for.
When we have those from the right and those from the left claiming bias - then it’s probably about right.

True impartiality is almost impossible, humans are after all involved. However, I don’t think there is any news or entertainment outlet that is an impartial as the BBC.

Tarrou

When we have those from the right and those from the left claiming bias - then it’s probably about right.

True impartiality is almost impossible, humans are after all involved. However, I don’t think there is any news or entertainment outlet that is an impartial as the BBC.
The reason both sides think it's bias in the other direction is not because it's generally balanced though.

It's biased left because of social/cultural issues, as most of the people creating those programs are left wing.

It's biased right on politics because most of the people creating those shows are right wing (the bias comes in who gets appointed to those positions, IMO). Not uniformly so and there are definitely exceptions, but generally speaking.

If we had a left wing government it would swing the other way though I'm sure.

fergieisold

You really think noticing peak white priveledge is racist?
Well, I’m not against a bit of jokey racism but technically it is racist considering you’ve targeted someone because of the colour of their skin.

Interestingly reading his wiki it seems he was quite peak privilege...was in the tier below :lol:

“Although he made friends and liked the drama teacher, he hated the school's strict regimen and felt despised and out of place among pupils with titles and wealth.”

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, I’m not against a bit of jokey racism but technically it is racist considering you’ve targeted someone because of the colour of their skin.

Interestingly reading his wiki it seems he was quite peak privilege...was in the tier below :lol:

“Although he made friends and liked the drama teacher, he hated the school's strict regimen and felt despised and out of place among pupils with titles and wealth.”
I was the 11+ scholarship kid at a grammer school many rungs further down the entitlement ladder and felt similarly. Doesn't mean I haven't benefitted from being a white middle class male. Just to a much lesser degree and I recognise it.

It doesn't help that he is a smug twat as well.

fergieisold

I was the 11+ scholarship kid at a grammer school many rungs further down the entitlement ladder and felt similarly. Doesn't mean I haven't benefitted from being a white middle class male. Just to a much lesser degree and I recognise it.

It doesn't help that he is a smug twat as well.
I don’t disagree he’s a smug twat. Simply being white and male plays a small part in the grand scheme of things. Wealth and nepotism is more important... it just so happens due to historical reasons the majority happen to be white and male.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There is nothing that wins you over as much as when people start talking about you being a white privilged male. Especially when it's complete strangers. Talking in general here.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
White shouldn't be a race classification.

It should be classified under abomination in all good bestiaries.

Smores

Which is a problem and it shows in the quality of content compared to years gone by.

I do believe the BBC does try to be impartial and have very credible journalists, but certain incidents really do ruin their credibility a great deal and you can just feel it with the public. I think there's been a bias against Jeremy Corbyn for example, and a huge bias against Trump. It's not open bias but it's done maybe unconsciously (giving benefit of doubt) in reporting, story selection and in it's editing for news segments. An example of a credible journalist to me is Andrew Niell, unfortunately he's leaving. An example of a poor one is Emily Maitliss who in a BBC standard context is well pretty open about her more liberal left leaning bias and I think she heads Newsnight. I take your point about the production of that show which is and can be seperate from the presenter and is something il be on the lookout for.
Andrew Neil a credible journalist. Heard it all now :lol:

Smores

As a leftie it pains me to say it, but he absolutely 100% is.
Just because he's got a hard hitting interview style against all sides doesn't make him credible. What makes him not credible is his close relationship with and funding received from the Barclay brothers and also his tendency to skip over stories he dislikes i.e the Cambridge analytica debacle.

drdoityourself

It's just strange. Fox got told he couldn't have an opinion because he's male and white. He's become quite tiresome to me but the constant barrage of ridicule and mocking because he doesn't share your opinion has become more tiresome. And in this fight for equality people feel the need to dismiss the opinions of white males for the most superficial, hypocritical and judgmental reason I can imagine. Race and gender.

He had some opinions, some good, some bad to me, but what followed was an avalanche of people torching him after that appearance on Question Time. Just for having an opinion, on a show about opinions. That has backlash has arguably and unfortunately caused him to double down and move further to the right as you know it (every bad opinion, is a right wing opinion nowadays), with bad takes on Covid and such.

One guy comes on here defending him and he's just met with a green laughing smiley. It's the bullying nature of the self righteous leftists that suffocate every discussion. Labels and mocking every time. And those ridiculed move further away from discussion.

Tarrou

It's just strange. Fox got told he couldn't have an opinion because he's male and white. He's become quite tiresome to me but the constant barrage of ridicule and mocking because he doesn't share your opinion has become more tiresome. And in this fight for equality people feel the need to dismiss the opinions of white males for the most superficial, hypocritical and judgmental reason I can imagine. Race and gender.

He had some opinions, some good, some bad to me, but what followed was an avalanche of people torching him after that appearance on Question Time. Just for having an opinion, on a show about opinions. That has backlash has arguably and unfortunately caused him to double down and move further to the right as you know it (every bad opinion, is a right wing opinion nowadays), with bad takes on Covid and such.

One guy comes on here defending him and he's just met with a green laughing smiley. It's the bullying nature of the self righteous leftists that suffocate every discussion. Labels and mocking every time. And those ridiculed move further away from discussion.
I don't think this happened did it?

He said some stupid shit about Sikh's in the movie 2017 and everyone called him out for how stupid it was

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

I don't have a great deal of sympathy for privileged men who have benefitted greatly from their backgrounds and regularly get platforms they don't deserve which they then use to complain that they are having their voices stifled just because people criticise them for saying objectively stupid shit. And their defenders are the saddest bunch going.

drdoityourself

I don't think this happened did it?

He said some stupid shit about Sikh's in the movie 2017 and everyone called him out for how stupid it was
On Question Time, he was told he was speaking from white, male privilege. Clearly meaning he shouldn't be having an opinion on the matter. I just can't see how it helps discussion when you exclude people because of race and gender.

Tarrou

On Question Time, he was told he was speaking from white, male privilege. Clearly meaning he shouldn't be having an opinion on the matter. I just can't see how it helps discussion when you exclude people because of race and gender.
Well that was just one woman on Question Time, who was roundly cut-off by Fox calling her a racist and the host then quickly moving on.

He managed to voice all his opinions on all these matters, and several times since. His voice was hardly suffocated, if anything it was the complete opposite.

drdoityourself

I don't have a great deal of sympathy for privileged men who have benefitted greatly from their backgrounds and regularly get platforms they don't deserve which they then use to complain that they are having their voices stifled just because people criticise them for saying objectively stupid shit. And their defenders are the saddest bunch going.
Calling it stupid shit and people saddest bunch going is basically the point I am making. I'm not asking anyone to sympathize with him or his views. I just think he's entitled to them and they shouldn't be ridiculed.

drdoityourself

Well that was just one woman on Question Time, who was roundly cut-off by Fox calling her a racist and the host then quickly moving on.

He managed to voice all his opinions on all these matters, and several times since. His voice was hardly suffocated, if anything it was the complete opposite.
I agree with you there. His voice has become too heard for my personal liking, and the more opinions he has the more I disagree with them. I just feel while fighting against racism and gender equality, there are too many people who are fighting the good fight whilst also dismissing others because of race and gender. I just don't see the need to do that.

Shamwow

Calling it stupid shit and people saddest bunch going is basically the point I am making. I'm not asking anyone to sympathize with him or his views. I just think he's entitled to them and they shouldn't be ridiculed.
He's entitled to his views but why shouldn't they be ridiculed? They are ridiculous. Why shouldn't we ridicule someone complaining about a sikh appearing in a ww1 film?

Shamwow

I agree with you there. His voice has become too heard for my personal liking, and the more opinions he has the more I disagree with them. I just feel while fighting against racism and gender equality, there are too many people who are fighting the good fight whilst also dismissing others because of race and gender. I just don't see the need to do that.
The issue is you think he's being dismissed because of his race and gender when that is not the case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That isn’t being excluded, though. Telling someone they’re speaking from a position of privilege isn’t telling them they can’t have an opinion. Just asking them to think about how their opinion has been formed. And why people with less privilege will likely hold different opinions.

Of course, this culture war does involve some arseholes who shout people down and deny them their opinions on the basis of their race/upbringing. That definitely happens. It shouldn’t though. You should be able to remind someone of their privilege while still listening to what they say. I’d like to think that this sort of arsehole is relatively rare (and over-represented on Twitter etc)

lewwoo

If you are white, straight and male you have no opinion so shut up. The world is going to be perfect once you no longer have a say.

drdoityourself

That isn’t being excluded, though. Telling someone they’re speaking from a position of privilege isn’t telling them they can’t have an opinion. Just asking them to think about how their opinion has been formed. And why people with less privilege will likely hold different opinions.

Of course, this culture war does involve some arseholes who shout people down and deny them their opinions on the basis of their race/upbringing. That definitely happens. It shouldn’t though. You should be able to remind someone of their privilege while still listening to what they say. I’d like to think that this sort of arsehole is relatively rare (and over-represented on Twitter etc)
Well now, this is a good answer. Can't really disagree with anything, the way you put it forward.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you are white, straight and male you have no opinion so shut up. The world is going to be perfect once you no longer have a say.
That’s weird, I’m all three of those things and think we have far too much say as it is.

drdoityourself

The issue is you think he's being dismissed because of his race and gender when that is not the case.
In your first answer to my post you said you had no sympathy for this privileged man with his background. I took that as in you being dismissive of him because of gender and social standing. He did apologize for those sikh comments, but I really don't wan't to be defending Lawrence Fox himself. As I've said, I don't agree with him on many things but I still don't feel he should be ridiculed or you should be made to feel like a bad person if you see reason in SOME of his arguments.

Shamwow

In your first answer to my post you said you had no sympathy for this privileged man with his background. I took that as in you being dismissive of him because of gender and social standing. He did apologize for those sikh comments, but I really don't wan't to be defending Lawrence Fox himself. As I've said, I don't agree with him on many things but I still don't feel he should be ridiculed or you should be made to feel like a bad person if you see reason in SOME of his arguments.
I'm dismissive of the fact that he claims to be canceled/silenced or whatever because of his background when I see it being the complete opposite. Which I explained in the first post too.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You have already said far too much then. Shut up.
Bless you, as a white, straight male what is it that you feel you are unable to say or do?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You assume I am white, straight and male?
Oh I see, you’re just concerned for the minority which is famously among the most oppressed in society?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Are you arguing with yourself? I have lost interest.
A policeman is resorting to the sort of responses I hear my 6 year old nephew say to my 10 year old niece. God help this country.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You have already said far too much then. Shut up.
You assume I am white, straight and male?
Are you arguing with yourself? I have lost interest.
Why reply to a poster that lost interest. Jesus. Boring
This is a lot of posts that don’t actually say anything.