Laurence Fox feat. Elvis

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I've no idea why you're doubting this. The glass of milk emoji has been known as a white supremacist symbol on social media for quite a while, so when an alt-right tit like Fox puts it on his Twitter handle, he knows exactly ho h is identifying himself. And Pepe is not just a symbol of the right the GOP's elephant, the Tory's tree or even the cross of St George are symbols used by the right, Pepe is associated with the far right and white supremacy. That's why it is listed as a hate symbol in quite a few countries and by the anti-defamation league and why the creator of Pepe decided to kill him off saying

"It’s completely insane that Pepe has been labeled a symbol of hate, and that racists and anti-Semites are using a once peaceful frog-dude from my comic book as an icon of hate. It’s a nightmare, and the only thing I can do is see this as an opportunity to speak out against hate."
Considering I've seen Pepe the frog quite a few times. Am I supposed to suspect that whoever uses Pepe the frog are secretely far right and white supremacists? I don't really think ordinary people are aware of this connection.

Gehrman

One of the people I follow on twitter liked this picture today. I went searching through her twitter posts to figure out whether she's a far right something, but I think i've concluded she's a libertarian with asian heritage. It was liked by Calvin Robinson though who was pictued having a pint yesterday with Laurence and Co. So the circle is complete.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Considering I've seen Pepe the frog quite a few times. Am I supposed to suspect that whoever uses Pepe the frog are secretely far right and white supremacists? I don't really think ordinary people are aware of this connection.
Not secretly, I'd go for openly and just because you're maybe not aware, it does not mean that lots of others are not!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One of the people I follow on twitter liked this picture today. I went searching through her twitter posts to figure out whether she's a far right something, but I think i've concluded she's a libertarian with asian heritage. It was liked by Calvin Robinson though who was pictued having a pint yesterday with Laurence and Co. So the circle is complete.

I’m sure there are plenty of people that consider themselves alt-right or just politically conservative and/or libertarian who wouldn’t consider themselves racist. And I’m sure many of them aren’t racist. At an individual level people can be a mixed bag and not everyone can be neatly categorised or labelled. There’s a very clear trend towards being racist if that’s the company they choose to keep though. Amongst the venn diagrams of people with those politics there will be an absolute shit load of racists, islamophobes, homophobes etc

And for the high profile right wing grifters like Fox there’s a near certainty that even if they don’t start out as a full on white supremacist they will become radicalised eventually.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Less secretly, more openly. Whatever about the glass of milk thing, pepe being a far-right symbol is pretty well known fact, insofar it's something that has been widely spoken about beyond internet culture and all across mainstream media outlets. If you type "Pepe the frog" into google pretty much all that comes up are stories explaining that it's a far-right symbol. It's also been listed as a hate symbol by the ADL.

Worth noting that it may have slightly different meaning in Hong Kong specifically but beyond that it's generally recognised as a far-right symbol, to the extent that I'd be surprised if anyone who regularly involves themselves in these kind of political discussions online didn't know that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes, you should.

This has been a fact for quite a few years. Those types have appropriated the image.

Gehrman

Yes, you should.

This has been a fact for quite a few years. Those types have appropriated the image.
It might be a fact for a cetain type of person, but I don't think I know a single person in real life who would be aware of this.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It might be a fact for a cetain type of person, but I don't think I know a single person in real life who would be aware of this.
Pepe the frog is synonymous with 4chan culture, which is heavily linked with right wing, incel, white supremacy groups. It's pretty common knowledge.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Really? That’s interesting. This was widespread news in 2016. It’s far more of a supremacist / far right emoji / sign than milk.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Pepe the frog is synonymous with 4chan culture, which is heavily linked with right wing, incel, white supremacy groups. It's pretty common knowledge.
Common knowledge in internet culture. There are plenty of people not tapped into it who wouldn’t be any the wiser. That’s not to say it’s not a dog whistle to those who do know, however.

Even if Laurence Fox isn’t a white supremacist, and I’m inclined to believe he’s not as that would require him having a spine, he clearly knows what it means and is using it in his Twitter profile to antagonise ‘woke warriors’ or whatever he’d call people who think equality is a good thing.

Gehrman

Really? That’s interesting. This was widespread news in 2016. It’s far more of a supremacist / far right emoji / sign than milk.
I'm talking about normal people who don't spend a significant portion of their time going down rabbit holes on the internet.

For instance it's common knowledge what the Nazi swastika is. What a glass of milk emoji means and pepe frog is associated is really not common knowledge. I wouldn't know many either who has any idea what 4chan is either or related sites. I only learned last year what incel means which has been thrown around quite a lot recently.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Common knowledge in internet culture. There are plenty of people not tapped into it who wouldn’t be any the wiser. That’s not to say it’s not a dog whistle to those who do know, however.

Even if Laurence Fox isn’t a white supremacist, and I’m inclined to believe he’s not as that would require him having a spine, he clearly knows what it means and is using it in his Twitter profile to antagonise ‘woke warriors’ or whatever he’d call people who think equality is a good thing.
I'd say yes in internet culture to begin with, but I think after the Christchurch killings it was reported on quite a few UK news sites. Not Pepe per se, but what 4chan (or 8chan) is, and who uses it etc.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I'd say yes in internet culture to begin with, but I think after the Christchurch killings it was reported on quite a few UK news sites. Not Pepe per se, but what 4chan (or 8chan) is, and who uses it etc.
4chan has been reported in tons of things. It was involved in Dylann Roof shooting OU a church in Charleston and I think the Virginia Tech shooter posted there not long before he went around shooting people.That doesn’t mean people associate it with Pepe and to be honest before this conversation I wouldn’t have, I loosely associated it with the 2016 Trump campaign. I appreciate some might argue they are heavily interlinked but 4chan is a place I tend not to devote much thought to because honestly, feck the lot of them, they’re the worst of humanity.

Anyway, I would consider myself mildly in touch with internet culture but I do think it’s fair to say a lot of people aren’t and wouldn’t necessarily appreciate these acute, if juvenile, signals.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm talking about normal people who don't spend a significant portion of their time going down rabbit holes on the internet.

For instance it's common knowledge what the Nazi swastika is. What a glass of milk emoji means and pepe frog is associated is really not common knowledge. I wouldn't know many either who has any idea what 4chan is either or related sites. I only learned last year what incel means which has been thrown around quite a lot recently.
I would say almost any Facebook user would have clear knowledge of what 4chan is & many of those would know that the Pepe meme is one appropriated by the alt right / supremacists.

I have never been on Facebook, yet I knew about the meme in 2015 when it was being used by many of those who supported Trump.

It’s not a long lived meme, but it has been rather ubiquitous since 2015. Time will tell if the milk emoji rises to the level of supremacist ubiquitousness as the Pepe meme.

Gehrman

I would say almost any Facebook user would have clear knowledge of what 4chan is & many of those would know that the Pepe meme is one appropriated by the alt right / supremacists.

I have never been on Facebook, yet I knew about the meme in 2015 when it was being used by many of those who supported Trump.

It’s not a long lived meme, but it has been rather ubiquitous since 2015. Time will tell if the milk emoji rises to the level of supremacist ubiquitousness as the Pepe meme.
Maybe it's more a American phenomenon in that case. I'm Danish so I have very few American FB friends. The only ones I have left are my buddhist american friends. 2 other American FB friends who i knew through a patient support group became visibly racist when the BLM thing started so I booted them off.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Maybe it's more a American phenomenon in that case. I'm Danish so I have very few American FB friends. The only ones I have left are my buddhist american friends. 2 other American FB friends who i knew through a patient support group became visibly racist when the BLM thing started so I booted them off.
It may have started here, but it has been embraced the world over.

Christ, overt racism in a patient support group. What fecking lunatics.

Gehrman

It may have started here, but it has been embraced the world over.

Christ, overt racism in a patient support group. What fecking lunatics.
It was not in the patient group, we had just became FB friends through that, so I could see what they put up on their page. One of them apparently had great great grandfather or something who tended the horses of general Lee and therefore well had the whole confederates thing going for him. Once he posted that he wished he could mow down BLM protesters with a truck I thought it was about time to block him.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was not in the patient group, we had just became FB friends through that, so I could see what they put up on their page. One of them apparently had great great grandfather or something who tended the horses of general Lee and therefore well had the whole confederates thing going for him. Once he posted that he wished he could mow down BLM protesters with a truck I thought it was about time to block him.
Wise move.

It would have been potentially interesting to see where that mensa would have gone in his line of thinking, but ultimately nauseating.

Was this before or after Charlottesville where basically the same thing happened?

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's not an American phenomenon. The first of these kinds of terrorists was ABB in Norway. Only two years ago another Norwegian attempted to commit a terror attack at a mosque - an attempt which failed so badly that it would be funny were it not for the fact that he killed his 17-year old adopted sister for being non-white right before. He also announced the attack on 8chan (I believe), and was planning to live-stream or upload footage to another such site.

He'd been entirely radicalized online, and was into everything from red pill, prepping and race wars to pepe memes.

Gehrman

Wise move.

It would have been potentially interesting to see where that mensa would have gone in his line of thinking, but ultimately nauseating.

Was this before or after Charlottesville where basically the same thing happened?
It was after George Floyd, so I suppose after. There are some people I engage with if I feel they are open to having their attitudes challenged and there are some who just can't be reached and best blocked and ignored and this was one of them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was after George Floyd, so I suppose after. There are some people I engage with if I feel they are open to having their attitudes challenged and there are some who just can't be reached and best blocked and ignored and this was one of them.
Smart move. Aggressive & intentional mental deficiency like that is engrained in someone’s DNA typically. It takes a critical mass event in their life to change them, far more than what one can impart on the internet.

Gehrman

It's not an American phenomenon. The first of these kinds of terrorists was ABB in Norway. Only two years ago another Norwegian attempted to commit a terror attack at a mosque - an attempt which failed so badly that it would be funny were it not for the fact that he killed his 17-year old adopted sister for being non-white right before. He also announced the attack on 8chan (I believe), and was planning to live-stream or upload footage to another such site.

He'd been entirely radicalized online, and was into everything from red pill, prepping and race wars to pepe memes.
I just don't feel that what is common knowledge on internet culture is "common knowledge". The majority of people I know are simply too busy with life beyond the internet and social media to know about this stuff.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I just don't feel that what is common knowledge on internet culture is "common knowledge". The majority of people I know are simply too busy with life beyond the internet and social media to know about this stuff.
Okay, but I don't see why that matters when the entire thing hinges on whether or not it's common knowledge to Laurence Fox. Which it definitely is, since he's fully part of that right-wing cesspool.

Gehrman

Okay, but I don't see why that matters when the entire thing hinges on whether or not it's common knowledge to Laurence Fox. Which it definitely is, since he's fully part of that right-wing cesspool.
Well he might be. Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit because I think he's fecking idiot. It just seems that putting an apparently white supremacist symbol associated with Richard Spencer next to your twitter name is about the most stupid thing you can do if you're running for mayor of London, but perhaps he really is that fecking stupid and perhaps truly that racist.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well he might be. Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit because I think he's fecking idiot. It just seems that putting an apparently white supremacist symbol associated with Richard Spencer next to your twitter name is about the most stupid thing you can do if you're running for mayor of London, but perhaps he really is that fecking stupid and perhaps truly that racist.
I think that the answer to yes - very stupid and as for the truly racist bit - probably in a white priveledged sort of way with added