Laurence Fox feat. Elvis

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Would be kinda funny if the £5m that Brexit guy donated gets wiped out straight away settling lawsuits from Fox's idiotic tweeting.
Baselessly calling a public figure a paedo doesn't come cheap

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Probably should have put in the Racism thread. Or a "Woke" thread or a anti-racist thread.
Can't say I've ever heard anything good about that book or the author.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Can't say I've ever heard anything good about that book or the author.
Well I consider it to part of the "whole thing" including CRT, it's apparently now being taught in some schools in the UK and I was on BLM reddit and they were telling all their white members to read White Fragility, and members who didn't actually agree that they were racist got the tag "fragile" next to their username. I don't find anyone who claims that all white people are racist should be taken seriously or enjoy the stature or publicity she is now enjoying nor being paid huge amounts of money for it but hey that's the market.

lsd

The Oracle
I wonder how Richard Ayoade copes having him as a brother in law . I know you can't help who your wife's family are but i would be constantly wanting to slap him every second of the day

DOTA

Well I consider it to part of the "whole thing" including CRT, it's apparently now being taught in some schools in the UK and I was on BLM reddit and they were telling all their white members to read White Fragility, and members who didn't actually agree that they were racist got the tag "fragile" next to their username. I don't find anyone who claims that all white people are racist should be taken seriously or enjoy the stature or publicity she is now enjoying nor being paid huge amounts of money for it but hey that's the market.
What's being taught in schools exactly?

DOTA

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Car crash stuff.

I'm a little torn over this guy. He is certainly a detestable arsehole that is helping to enable an insidious bunch-o-cnuts. He should be verbally fecked off at every opportunity because he clearly has nothing to offer. However most people now hate him, he's torched his acting career and is just so pathetically ill-equipped to handle this new role, that it's hard not to feel that he is being used as a sacrificial pawn by some really nasty cnuts, with actual money and influence. You can't be this much of an imbecile and this fragile, without doing yourself a serious mischief. His little accusation switcheroo showed all the rhetorical dexterity of a 6 year old. How can you play yourself so hard on your first day and expect to survive?

He doesn't have the fortitude of a Katy Hopkins, or the money of a J.K Rowling, and he has nothing to fall back on after this. He's not built for it.

Gehrman

I don't subscribe to the telegraph, so I can't read that. Not that I particularly wish to. It's a very right wing paper. I don't think it's to be taken very seriously on issues of race.
I could copy/paste it into a word document and upload it if you want to, but if you don't feel like reading it that's alright.

DOTA

I could copy/paste it into a word document and upload it if you want to, but if you don't feel like reading it that's alright.
I think that'll make the mods nervous.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Car crash stuff.

I'm a little torn over this guy. He is certainly a detestable arsehole that is helping to enable an insidious bunch-o-cnuts. He should be verbally fecked off at every opportunity because he clearly has nothing to offer. However most people now hate him, he's torched his acting career and is just so pathetically ill-equipped to handle this new role, that it's hard not to feel that he is being used as a sacrificial pawn by some really nasty cnuts, with actual money and influence. You can't be this much of an imbecile and this fragile, without doing yourself a serious mischief. His little accusation switcheroo showed all the rhetorical dexterity of a 6 year old. How can you play yourself so hard on your first day and expect to survive?

He doesn't have the fortitude of a Katy Hopkins, or the money of a J.K Rowling, and he has nothing to fall back on after this. He's not built for it.
Hes not J.K. rich but hes not poor though
went to harrow at £40k a year (was expelled though apparently not for being a bully even though he admits bullying younger kids)
Was married to billie piper for a decade or so
estimated worth around £3m
https://www.networthlist.org/laurence-fox-net-worth-81584

DOTA

Thanks to a very helpful individual I have been able to read the piece...

It waffles about curriculum changes without ever making the case that there is any attempt to change the curriculum. It just says 'I have been contacted by a number of head teachers who are increasingly under pressure from both teachers and parents to be seen to be doing something'. There's nothing there to imply what he is, well, implying.

Then it's mainly about universities. Then the reason for the article becomes clear as he plugs his organisation.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't subscribe to the telegraph, so I can't read that. Not that I particularly wish to. It's a very right wing paper. I don't think it's to be taken very seriously on issues of race.
This guy is basically arguing CRT should not be taught in school, attacks BLM and is touting the Don't Divide US campaign which he is involved with: "It offers a far better way to help young people understand the world around them than either the trendy cod-science of CRT or the anti-capitalist, anti-Western, anti-Semitic campaign-driven rhetoric of the Black Lives Matter movement."

DOTA

This guy is basically arguing CRT should not be taught in school, attacks BLM and is touting the Don't Divide US campaign which he is involved with: "It offers a far better way to help young people understand the world around them than either the trendy cod-science of CRT or the anti-capitalist, anti-Western, anti-Semitic campaign-driven rhetoric of the Black Lives Matter movement."
I liked the bit where he bragged his campaign has the support of Andrew Doyle.

Jippy

Staff
Yeah, I had to google him. The head teacher he name checks has written such gems as
My strict school uniform policy prevents chaos in the classroom - and society

Gehrman

I quite like Andrew Doyle as a columnist. I don't find him very funny as a comedian though.

ARTICLE: Fox says Holocaust denial should not be a crime

Smores

So in order for holocaust deniers to understand that it did happen they need to be able to tell us it didn't. If only there was another way they could know.

Gehrman

Jippy

Staff
The right to be a holocaust denier. What a hill to die on.
This guy is getting seriously giddy on the oxygen of publicity. It seems like there is no-one to rein him in. The guy who donated £5m clearly isn't big on due diligence.

Gehrman

The right to be a holocaust denier. What a hill to die on.
This guy is getting seriously giddy on the oxygen of publicity. It seems like there is no-one to rein him in. The guy who donated £5m clearly isn't big on due diligence.

The guy clearly lacks the brains to fight to the cause, he thinks he's fighting.

manc exile

Supports
City

what the hell is crt?

DOTA

From a quick Google search I’m not sure what the problem with this is?

@Shamana you seem to have an issue with it, can you explain the problem?
That it holds the position that systemic racism against minorities exists, I guess. If you're convinced this world is a meritocracy then you're not gonna like the idea of little Timmy coming home from school with funny ideas in his head. Not that I can personally imagine a load of primary or even secondary school teachers trying to teach critical race theory to their class.

EDIT - That's my answer to why a lot of people on the right drone on about it. Not trying to speak for Shamana.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That it holds the position that systemic racism against minorities exists, I guess. If you're convinced this world is a meritocracy then you're not gonna like the idea of little Timmy coming home from school with funny ideas in his head. Not that I can personally imagine a load of primary or even secondary school teachers trying to teach critical race theory to their class.

EDIT - That's my answer to why a lot of people on the right drone on about it. Not trying to speak for Shamana.
Well yea that’s kinda what confused me when I read what it was. You’d have to be pretty wilfully ignorant to deny that systemic racism is actually a thing, and educating young minds on these things can only be good, if indeed it ever were to happen which does seem unlikely.

Classical Mechanic

Well yea that’s kinda what confused me when I read what it was. You’d have to be pretty wilfully ignorant to deny that systemic racism is actually a thing, and educating young minds on these things can only be good, if indeed it ever were to happen which does seem unlikely.
The argument at the intellectual level is what the actual reason for disparities between different ethnic groups is. CRT essentially argues that its all down to institutional racism and white supremacy whilst the right argues that it's because of the internal cultures of different ethnic groups.

The article below uses figures showing the temporary explusion rates of school children by ethnicity as proof of institutional racism. Calvin Robinson, the teacher quoted by earlier on the page, argues that those figures actually support the culture argument because they show black African children are excluded at a rate lower than white children and it's specifically black Carribean children that are expelled at a very high rate. Other minority ethnic groups are expelled at a lower rate than both. White children on free school meals have the worst educational outcomes of all ethnicities on free school meals expect for gypsy and Roma. The argument is how could a structurally racist and white supremacist system have minority ethnicities at the top of outcomes and white children at or near the bottom of them.

https://www.smf.co.uk/commentary_podcasts/institutional-racial-discrimination-in-schools/

Gehrman

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The argument at the intellectual level is what the actual reason for disparities between different ethnic groups is. CRT essentially argues that its all down to institutional racism and white supremacy whilst the right argues that it's because of the internal cultures of different ethnic groups.

The article below uses figures showing the temporary explusion rates of school children by ethnicity as proof of institutional racism. Calvin Robinson, the teacher quoted by earlier on the page, argues that those figures actually support the culture argument because they show black African children are excluded at a rate lower than white children and it's specifically black Carribean children that are expelled at a very high rate. Other minority ethnic groups are expelled at a lower rate than both. White children on free school meals have the worst educational outcomes of all ethnicities on free school meals expect for gypsy and Roma. The argument is how could a structurally racist and white supremacist system have minority ethnicities at the top of outcomes and white children at or near the bottom of them.

https://www.smf.co.uk/commentary_podcasts/institutional-racial-discrimination-in-schools/
I heard someone talking about this recently. Recent black immigrants from most African countries tend to do very well. Much better than black people of Carribean descent, born in the US. I think they might even have better outcomes than a class matched white cohort?

Which is supposed to contradict the idea that simply having black skin puts you at a disadvantage. One theory to explain this involves something called “immigrant pluck”. Which seems a bit of a stretch but might have something in it.

DOTA

Critical race theory believes science, reason, and evidence are a “white” way of knowing
Umm...

DOTA

I heard someone talking about this recently. Recent black immigrants from most African countries tend to do very well. Much better than black people of Carribean descent, born in the US. I think they might even have better outcomes than a class matched white cohort?

Which is supposed to contradict the idea that simply having black skin puts you at a disadvantage. One theory to explain this involves something called “immigrant pluck”. Which seems a bit of a stretch but might have something in it.
I've never looked in to it but the argument I've heard a few times regarding Black Africans in the USA is you don't get in to the USA from Africa without having a significantly higher education level than the average American.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've never looked in to it but the argument I've heard a few times regarding Black Africans in the USA is you don't get in to the USA from Africa without having a significantly higher education level than the average American.
Yeah, there’s bound to be all sorts of potential for bias in research like this. I presume they would have to try and match cohorts based on class/education etc to make a fair comparison but have no idea if they did this or not.

Classical Mechanic

That report was from the UK, not sure on the US. These GCSE attainment figures loosely class match by measuring kids on free school meals and by ethnicity

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...for-children-aged-14-to-16-key-stage-4/latest

Poor white children have the worst outcomes except for gypsy or roma. Poor white boys are especially disadvantaged when it comes to educational and income outcomes.

Worth noting too that the high educational attainment achieved by Indian and Chinese students also seems to translate into higher income outcomes, both groups out earn white British people when measured by median wages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48919813

Classical Mechanic

I find of debating technique very shallow. As far as I can see the picture on disparity and outcomes between the ethnicities is actually very complex. My own position is that I'm on the fence so you want to try to give an actual reasoned response to the points raised I'd be more than happy to hear it.

DOTA

I find of debating technique very shallow. As far as I can see the picture on disparity and outcomes between the ethnicities is actually very complex. My own position is that I'm on the fence so you want to try to give an actual reasoned response to the points raised I'd be more than happy to hear it.
It wasn't a gotcha. I thought you'd find it funny that we appear to have summoned him in to relevance in this thread.