League Cup 2019/20 | Semi finals: Man Utd v Man City, Leicester City v Aston Villa

Pav1878

Elevate yes. Where we want it to be (of need it to be) no
But there aren't many players individually who can do that
Even if we get him we still are about five-six players short

We are stuck in a loop it seems but that's for another thread
He would become one of our best set piece takers too (well until he trained with us and then becomes a United player and starts hitting the first man)
:lol: very likely

Pav1878

Very much just you

What else do you want from a CM?

Joint most key passes, joint most dribbles, always successful with his dribble, 2nd most touches on the pitch behind his CB.

What is it he needed to do to "take United to the next level" where that isnt enough? Score a hatrick?

Regardless I dont think hes a realistic signing for us. We'll sign someone worse
:lol: what does the above prove exactly? That statistically he is good in these areas? They used to say the same for Maguire and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire for us. Again, an overrated, hyped player. Statistics don't tell the whole story my friend.

Like I said, he's a good player, but are you telling me he is the best midfielder out there who we can get? At the figures rumoured, no way is he worth it. Id rather spend it on Saul Niguez or Koke or Fabian Ruiz.

Pav1878

Very much just you

What else do you want from a CM?

Joint most key passes, joint most dribbles, always successful with his dribble, 2nd most touches on the pitch behind his CB.

What is it he needed to do to "take United to the next level" where that isnt enough? Score a hatrick?

Regardless I dont think hes a realistic signing for us. We'll sign someone worse
Ps evidently judging by some of the other comments on here, its not just me who thinks he's overrated

Ekeke

:lol: what does the above prove exactly? That statistically he is good in these areas? They used to say the same for Maguire and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire for us. Again, an overrated, hyped player. Statistics don't tell the whole story my friend.

Like I said, he's a good player, but are you telling me he is the best midfielder out there who we can get? At the figures rumoured, no way is he worth it. Id rather spend it on Saul Niguez or Koke or Fabian Ruiz.
What? Maguire was never statistically that good.

It tells you that in every way you can expect a central midfielder to have affected the game, he did well in those areas. So you either just dont like him regardless of what he does on the pitch for some reason, or you expect a CM to be scoring every game. Even Lampard didnt do that and he had much less defensive responsibility than Maddison has.

Got on the ball a huge amount? Check. Created chances? Check. Beat players himself to open things up? Check. Did all these things without giving the ball away much? Check. 8 shots on top of that by the way.

So you tell me. What was a CM supposed to do more than he did tonight for you to think they'd take United to the next level over the likes of Lingard, Mata and Andreas?

Because to be blunt, we havent had a single player who did all those things above this season. Pogba did last season. As a DM he hasnt and has barely played. The rest dont come close. So if you can't see how that would be an improvement over what we're seeing each game, then thats pretty crazy.

I like all 3 players that you mentioned, but none of them do what Maddison does better than he is doing it. And none are playing as well as he is this season. I'd give Fabian the edge because he could probably play a deeper role next to Fred or McTominay rather than compete with Maddison for an attack minded CM role.

Mainoldo

What? Maguire was never statistically that good.

It tells you that in every way you can expect a central midfielder to have affected the game, he did well in those areas. So you either just dont like him regardless of what he does on the pitch for some reason, or you expect a CM to be scoring every game. Even Lampard didnt do that and he had much less defensive responsibility than Maddison has.

Got on the ball a huge amount? Check. Created chances? Check. Beat players himself to open things up? Check. Did all these things without giving the ball away much? Check. 8 shots on top of that by the way.

So you tell me. What was a CM supposed to do more than he did tonight for you to think they'd take United to the next level over the likes of Lingard, Mata and Andreas?

Because to be blunt, we havent had a single player who did all those things above this season. Pogba did last season. As a DM he hasnt and has barely played. The rest dont come close. So if you can't see how that would be an improvement over what we're seeing each game, then thats pretty crazy.

I like all 3 players that you mentioned, but none of them do what Maddison does better than he is doing it. And none are playing as well as he is this season. I'd give Fabian the edge because he could probably play a deeper role next to Fred or McTominay rather than compete with Maddison for an attack minded CM role.
Decided if Grealish is better than him yet? He’s not all that. I really hope we don’t sign Maddison. He’s an Ashley Young level signing.

I also which we would stay away from this number 10 BS. Just revert back to 4-3-3.

Ekeke

Decided if Grealish is better than him yet? He’s not all that. I really hope we don’t sign Maddison. He’s an Ashley Young level signing.

I also which we would stay away from this number 10 BS. Just revert back to 4-3-3.
Grealish is a better left winger, Maddison is a better central midfielder. And its not close

Ekeke

Is it just me who thinks Maddison completely vanished in the big games this season?
He wasnt that effective against Liverpool and City if thats what you mean. Leicester struggled in general against them

He was effective against City last season

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He wasnt that effective against Liverpool and City if thats what you mean. Leicester struggled in general against them

He was effective against City last season
Oh was he? Yeah those were the two games I saw him and he barely got a kick.

To be fair they’re two amazing teams so it happens to the best of them.

Ekeke

Oh was he? Yeah those were the two games I saw him and he barely got a kick.

To be fair they’re two amazing teams so it happens to the best of them.
Also consider those arent the teams we have a problem with. Its the teams Leicester have beat for fun this season

fps

Maddison and Grealish direct comparison time! Enjoying so far.

fps

Great setup from Grealish off the left! This is terrific comparing these two.

yamo123x

Both amazing players showcasing their skills..everything we have been lacking..goal threat and creativity but with bruno imminent i dont see either of them coming sadly...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Both amazing players showcasing their skills..everything we have been lacking..goal threat and creativity but with bruno imminent i dont see either of them coming sadly...
I'll be royally pissed if Grealish leaves Villa and we're not in for him

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yeah it’s fun watching. Attacking football. Inventiveness. Creativity. I’m not used to these things

Paul_Scholes18

I am semi torn here what I want. Villa is easier if we reach the final, but they have 0 chance against City.
Although I enjoy a Villa win more than Leicester.

Although I am pretty certain City will win it either way and it takes a miracle for us to knock them out tomorrow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good save Noggie.
Enjoying your new World class goalkeeper to go with midfielder and striker?;)

He was shite last season. No idea what we've fed him so far this season as he's done very well in his games bar Man. City.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure how that wasn't a pen.
Definitely a pen. He raises his hand up and outwards and blocks the shot with his hand. It's not a natural position according to the guidelines or common sense. VAR being incompetent yet again in England.