League One & League Two play-offs

neilv93

As Bristol Rovers fan I'm not too fond of either team but hopefully Wycombe go up as we always beat Oxford so an easy six points would be lost next season! Likewise, that Snake Taylor can stay rotting in L1.

On the note of Ainsworth, he's done an absolutely incredible job for Wanderers. Saw he was linked with the vacant job over on the red side of Bristol - might be too demanding a job but he's certainly a worthy contender given his recent history.

Sweet Square

Biggest game in their history for my local team

I'm still of course more nervous about the United game but it really would be something if this lot could win promotion. It's such a great little club.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Biggest game in their history for my local team

I'm still of course more nervous about the United game but it really would be something if this lot could win promotion. It's such a great little club.
Didn’t realise there was 3 of us on here!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm nervous....Must have had season tickets for about 25 years now!

One game from the championship. Just amazing.

Will only catch about 15mins of the United game, but this one is far bigger I'm afraid!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would be an amazing story if Wycombe made to championship. Burton did it a few years back (annoying as Walsall nearly made it instead and then that team of Sawyers, Bradshaw and Rico Henry broke up, two of those could be in premier league next season).

Think Oxford will make it though. Done very well in the cups this season v premier league teams and got some good individual players who can create goals out of little. Sure Wycombe will give it a good go though.

Wasn't it only about 5 years ago you had to win to stay in the league?

Sweet Square

Would be an amazing story if Wycombe made to championship. Burton did it a few years back (annoying as Walsall nearly made it instead and then that team of Sawyers, Bradshaw and Rico Henry broke up, two of those could be in premier league next season).

Think Oxford will make it though. Done very well in the cups this season v premier league teams and got some good individual players who can create goals out of little. Sure Wycombe will give it a good go though.

Wasn't it only about 5 years ago you had to win to stay in the league?
Yeah something like that. I think they scored a last minute goal resulting in a draw which kept them up. Also I'm pretty sure they almost went bust a few years back as well.

Crazy they could be 90 minutes away from championship football.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Wycombe doing it would be amazing but I think it might be better for the club mid term if they did not achieve promotion.

Seems a crazy thing to say but managing a side following relegation is not easy and the only side that managed to get such a shock promotion in the last decade, Yeovil, ended up a non league side in no time.

Also is there any way they could compete in the Championship? Personally I cannot see it.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
After what transpired today, I have no doubt that Ainsworth uses the same sort of satanic black magic that Di Matteo used in 2012.

Congratulations to our resident Chairboys!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought Oxford were going to win that once it went back to 1-1 as they had a very good ten minute spell after but amazing story for Wycombe.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not a chance IMO. They remained inside the top six thanks to points accumulated earlier in the campaign. They have since been found out and almost certainly would not have made the play-offs had the season been completed in a normal manner.
:D

fecking can’t believe it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Absolutely ridiculous achievement for Wycombe. They should be nowhere near the Championship. The graphic before the game showing Oxford as first in most things in League 1 and Wycombe in 23rd spoke volumes about how barmy it is that they were at the top of the table let alone actually doing it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is this the highest they've ever played? never reached the second tier before?
Yes/No.

Best known for the amazing cup run in 2001. Were non league up to early 90s and mostly played in league 2 with a few seasons in league 1. Nearly went down to non league in 2014.

Adams Park is a very nice little ground (although long walk through an industrial estate to get there!) and you get great views of the surroundings Chiltern hills.

Akinfenwa in the championship will be amazing aswell. :D

Sweet Square

fecking brilliant achievement, so proud of them.

Internet connection went out in the 93rd minute so spent the last moments in limbo. Can't fecking believe it, championship football next season!

:drool::drool::drool:

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wycombe doing it would be amazing but I think it might be better for the club mid term if they did not achieve promotion.

Seems a crazy thing to say but managing a side following relegation is not easy and the only side that managed to get such a shock promotion in the last decade, Yeovil, ended up a non league side in no time.

Also is there any way they could compete in the Championship? Personally I cannot see it.
We weren't meant to be able to compete in league 1 bossman.

Now we're in the championship, and it'll be tough, but who knows.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely ridiculous achievement for Wycombe. They should be nowhere near the Championship. The graphic before the game showing Oxford as first in most things in League 1 and Wycombe in 23rd spoke volumes about how barmy it is that they were at the top of the table let alone actually doing it.
There's 2 stats that matter in football pal.

Goals scored
Goals conceded.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
fecking brilliant achievement, so proud of them.

Internet connection went out in the 93rd minute so spent the last moments in limbo. Can't fecking believe it, championship football next season!

:drool::drool::drool:
Your internet went!!! Hahaha, nightmare!

What an incredible game.

Early goal, then reasonably comfortable, until the commentator's curse of "everything is going perfectly for Wycombe". Immediately Oxford fluked in a cross.

Then we were on the ropes, saved my some good defending and keeping, and a couple of Oxford players oddly crossing when clean through!

Totally against the run of play our man nips it past their keeper, who inexplicably doesn't even see yellow, as the ref felt sorry for him!

2-1, near delirium, and held it

Oh my word I'm going to need some serious "me time" to get to sleep tonight :lol: :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There's 2 stats that matter in football pal.

Goals scored
Goals conceded.
You/They scored the least and let in the most out of the top 6 during the season too. :D Well done, fully deserved and I wasn't trying to take away from the achievement. More that the overperforming is excellent and deserves every plaudit coming their way.

Sweet Square

Your internet went!!! Hahaha, nightmare!

What an incredible game.

Early goal, then reasonably comfortable, until the commentator's curse of "everything is going perfectly for Wycombe". Immediately Oxford fluked in a cross.

Then we were on the ropes, saved my some good defending and keeping, and a couple of Oxford players oddly crossing when clean through!

Totally against the run of play our man nips it past their keeper, who inexplicably doesn't even see yellow, as the ref felt sorry for him!

2-1, near delirium, and held it
Yeah I spent the last minute desperately refreshing the bbc homepage to see if the game had finished.

Once Oxford scored I was convinced we were going to lose but that penalty out of nowhere was really a god send. Haven't been that nervous watching a game of football since the United final in Moscow. Honestly feel pretty exhausted.

Time to get that season ticket renewed.

Oh my word I'm going to need some serious "me time" to get to sleep tonight :lol:
:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You/They scored the least and let in the most out of the top 6 during the season too. :D Well done, fully deserved and I wasn't trying to take away from the achievement. More that the overperforming is excellent and deserves every plaudit coming their way.
Tonight i let you off :)

And i suppose i meant goals scored and conceded in individual games.
Mad season really. Top two for months and months including a long time top.

Then a bad run over Christmas losing loads in a row but always staying in the playoffs.

Then due to having 23 teams in the league and not playing one game week we dropped to 8th just as football stopped.
Meaning bitterness from other fans at us being moved into the playoffs on points per game ignoring we had been there all season and our game in hand off second.

But all academic now and what a night!!