Leakiest defence in history?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Not that long ago so many people here were convinced Maguire would have a VVD like effect here..

Siezard

Why is the manager sticking with Fred and McTominay when it clearly is not working in protecting the defence. They're hardly contributing to any attacks.
Haha Ole doesn't trust Matic as he is too slow against Liverpool. If Matic played and Man Utd lost, the blame obviously will be on Ole for fielding an old midfielder.

He can't play VDB as VDB hardly ever do much defensive work and he will likely be caught out against Liverpool.

He can't play Pogba in starting 11 because fans are saying Pogba should not play in the big matches.

So there you go, Fred and McTominay once again.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The balance of the team has changed. We are neither a pressing team nor play on the counter.
100%. Caught between two stools, sitting on neither, falling flat on our faces time and time again.

Mourinho, for all his faults, would have looked at our squad yesterday and played on the counter. And Mourinho would've had a big enough personality to deflect any questions about 'the United way' and 'a Man Utd team needs to be on the front foot at home.'

Ole looks like he's being managed by expectations rather than managing expectations. He looks like he's controlled by events not controlling them.

The job looks too big for him and that's the most concerning thing to come out of yesterday.

I have said this a number of times since Ronaldo joined and Cavani not getting any game time. Defending starts from the front and this is where we're struggling. There is absolutely no pressure on the opposition defence and they can play out at will who then outnumber our midfield.

Why is the manager sticking with Fred and McTominay when it clearly is not working in protecting the defence. They're hardly contributing to any attacks.
Regarding Fred and McTominay - the problem is the other option is Pogba and Matic, we've been absolutely wide open when they play the midfield two.

I imagine Ole thinks that Fred and Mctominay are the better of a bad choice.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Regarding Fred and McTominay - the problem is the other option is Pogba and Matic, we've been absolutely wide open when they play the midfield two.

I imagine Ole thinks that Fred and Mctominay are the better of a bad choice.
I've also noticed there is usually no other United player getting into the box and Ronaldo is marked by about 3 players that is if he finds himself in the area. The wingers and full-backs have nowhere to go but lump it in hope or pass back.

My suggestion is Matic as holding with Bruno and Pogba playing deeper midfield roles and taking in turns to get into the area. Both as also very good at shooting from outside the box. Their skillsets are being wasted by playing McFred. There is also the option to play VDB in one of those positions when Pogba or Bruno are injured or need a rest.

If Ole's thinking is that system would be too open it would not be worse than the present and we'd be at least scoring more goals.

El Zoido

Neville said on Sky yesterday he was surprised to see Ole say how well the side played against Atalanta so he stuck with the same XI ignoring we went 0-2 down and that would be curtains against Liverpool.
This is the worrying thing. Fair enough to say that if you want to give your team confidence, but you get the impression he actually believes it..

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Telles and Dalot played against Villarreal (and Maguire didn’t) - we should have conceded 6. Fred and Mctominay didn’t play against Leicester and ditto. It isn’t a personnel issue - it’s a system issue. Players have no clue when to press and when to not - you can see them looking at each other before deciding whether to go or not meaning some go and some don’t with the gaps being huge between the lines.
I dont buy that. given what I saw from the back 4 yesterday:
Liverpool didn't make them lose shape with outrageous play.
Team shape didn't expose them neither.
Blatant stupidity in decision making did.
in All 4 goals before half time. It only fair the 4 of them get dropped next game for playing that badly