Leaking our transfer discussions all over the internet

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We do we do this year after year? Is Woodward an actual fecking imbecile or something?

This apparent discussion with Eriksen being the latest example. What good does it do the club to tell everyone we spoke to x player but he wants to play somewhere else?

It makes the club look like a joke. Let's everyone know we're scrambling around desperately for a ill thought out signing a day before the deadline. It is also disrespectful towards the player which isn't exactly helpful if they do become available a year down the line.

We clearly leak this sort of stuff on purpose but it seems to serve no purpose in itself other than to let everyone know that Woodward does stuff sometimes.

Inter Yer Nan

The press are a joke and are wrong roughly 999/1000 times. I wouldn't believe what they say. It's just to sell papers or generate clicks but the reality is we more than likely haven't spoken to or about Eriksen in months. Maybe inquired at the end of the season and were told no.

Tarrou

i think its much more likely the press are making it all up

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's Woodward's way of washing his hands clean when we don't get transfers done. "Well, I tried, but it was ultimately out of my control."

el3mel

He leaked it to make the club looks like it's interested in buying one more player and it wasn't our problem it didn't happen.

Ranchero

The press are a joke and are wrong roughly 999/1000 times. I wouldn't believe what they say. It's just to sell papers or generate clicks but the reality is we more than likely haven't spoken to or about Eriksen in months. Maybe inquired at the end of the season and were told no.
As in any trade there are good people and bad. There are good media sources and bad. Wrong to dismiss all.

fps

This x 1,000,000.

Naive to think it's Man Utd saying all this and all this information is controlled from them and/or is genuine.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We do we do this year after year? Is Woodward an actual fecking imbecile or something?

This apparent discussion with Eriksen being the latest example. What good does it do the club to tell everyone we spoke to x player but he wants to play somewhere else?

It makes the club look like a joke. Let's everyone know we're scrambling around desperately for a ill thought out signing a day before the deadline. It is also disrespectful towards the player which isn't exactly helpful if they do become available a year down the line.

We clearly leak this sort of stuff on purpose but it seems to serve no purpose in itself other than to let everyone know that Woodward does stuff sometimes.
Tbf the press seldom really got anything right. Most of our purchases post saf is out of the blue (bar maybe pogba).

So I'd say it's just a distraction. Players like awb, maguire, bailly, lindelof, matic and many others weren't on everyone's radar before we quickly snapped the deal.

dove

But don't you think it's a bit weird that same is being reported by many journos from different countries? I would understand 1-2 shite newspapers making it up but when it's reported by many I think it's more to do with Ed trying to show the fans that we are trying to sign players.

Ace of Spades

Probably the press making it up.
This. Press have linked us to probably 100 players, they need stories. Not even sure if the Eriksen links were true. Seems they wanted to generate a buzz, and successfully did so.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
There's a saying. You won't go Poor writing about Manchester United. We cause the most clicks online out of everyone so its in the interests of so called journalists to create a transfer saga for us so they can release at least one new item a day. Regardless of whether we are actually interested in said player or not.

Tarrou

But don't you think it's a bit weird that same is being reported by many journos from different countries? I would understand 1-2 shite newspapers making it up but when it's reported by many I think it's more to do with Ed trying to show the fans that we are trying to sign players.
not really, they just copy each other

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
When every outlet breaks a story at the exact same time, that's a clear sign of a briefing. Unlikely they're all independently making up the same story.

RG 11

Journos make shit up but they get briefed all the time too. SAFs retirement was leaked. LVG sacking was leaked before the poor guy found out himself.

Our transfer dealings this season have been very out in the open as well. There isn't a single one of note we wrap up without anyone knowing about. It's clear Woodward or someone else at the club briefs journos (like with Eriksen / Dybala) and every single media outlet starts reporting it.

BarstoolProphet

Journos make shit up but they get briefed all the time too. SAFs retirement was leaked. LVG sacking was leaked before the poor guy found out himself.

Our transfer dealings this season have been very out in the open as well. There isn't a single one of note we wrap up without anyone knowing about. It's clear Woodward or someone else at the club briefs journos (like with Eriksen / Dybala) and every single media outlet starts reporting it.

SAF's retirement wasn't leaked, Ogden admitted he took a qualified guess.

DiceRoller

Has to be the press. I see Sky running that Transfer Show and I’m convinced everyone around that table hasn’t a clue what’s going on!

“My sources are telling me...”. Complete bullshit.

They need to fill the show with something and get clicks on the app.

Easier to just make stuff up.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It obviously isn't though. When it's silly rylumours about how we're signing this or that player, it's probably made up.

When it's about why the club didn't sign this or that player, and reads like a briefing given to a journalist, and suddenly crops up via the same journalists and sources every time, it's obviously been leaked from the club itself. There's no reason for a journalist to invent a story about how Man Utd aren't gong to sign someone.

Offsideagain

This. Press have linked us to probably 100 players, they need stories. Not even sure if the Eriksen links were true. Seems they wanted to generate a buzz, and successfully did so.
Agreed entirely. In fairness to Woodward ( can’t believe I wrote that), it is the media as stated above. Same with Brexit.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Pulling out from deals days before end of the window is even more fuel to the press and their dramatic narration.

I don't know if people can see this, but we can't have one normal summer where we just sign needed players and getting ready with them for start of the season. It's always the soap opera and race against time like in some action movie with Bruce Willis and Keanu Reeves.

Did Real Madrid cried that they only want players who have passion and desire to join them ? No, they signed four at start of the window and now wrapping up Donny van de Beek, when they see Pogba is a no go.

IrishRedDevil

The press make a lot of it up.

Sky stateee that United have been linked with over 50 players this window. That was a few days ago, so the number is probably around 55 now.

Think about that. 55 players linked to the club in on window and we have signed 3 players.

Fans buy into all the lies made up by journalists and then they get angry with the club when the lies obviously don’t materialise.

The journalists are happy as any article with United gets loads of interactions - rinse and repeat.

Tarrou

It obviously isn't though. When it's silly rylumours about how we're signing this or that player, it's probably made up.

When it's about why the club didn't sign this or that player, and reads like a briefing given to a journalist, and suddenly crops up via the same journalists and sources every time, it's obviously been leaked from the club itself. There's no reason for a journalist to invent a story about how Man Utd aren't gong to sign someone.
we already know why journalists make stuff up, its for clicks and SEO ranking.. their motive is clearly established

there is no clear motive for the club releasing this information though, is there?

Jacob

Tbf the press seldom really got anything right. Most of our purchases post saf is out of the blue (bar maybe pogba).

So I'd say it's just a distraction. Players like awb, maguire, bailly, lindelof, matic and many others weren't on everyone's radar before we quickly snapped the deal.
AWB and Maguire were being linked in media long before it was concluded.

MrPooni

The sheer volume of people who either believe almost everything they read or confidently claim that "it's all made up" are prime examples of why media literacy needs to be taught in school. There's a balance to be found either way.

In regards to why we obviously brief so much, it's to control the narrative. This isn't the mid-00's anymore where clubs could just sit on their hands and let speculation run wild, social media combined with the 24/7 news cycle means we have to address certain stories before they get completely out of control.

Thepinhead

Most of the times I don't think it is the club. I think it is agents leaking stuff to the press.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Could also be a briefing from the agent, or from other clubs. I’m as irritated by Woodward’s painfully obvious briefings as anyone but the transfer market is such a fecking feeding frenzy it’s impossible to know who’s responsible for what.

One thing’s for certain, Woody will already be working on a monster briefing full of excuses to be released the minute the transfer window closes. Expect repeated use of the phrases, “ambitious young talent”, “inflated agents fees”, “must want to play for the club” and “not better than players already at the club”

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Come off it Noods. you know as well as anybody that the vast majority of comments in the press dont come from United.

There was a tremendous post in the transfer forum yesterday describing what actually goes on in the media world. Effectively, clubs no longer brief the press unless she's a done deal. Rest is guess work.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Very few people actually just make stuff up, but it’s not just Utd that leak news, agents, image rights companies, other clubs involved in the transfer, players and then all these people and organisations have entourages, the good journalists don’t report stuff until they’ve had it independently confirmed from more than at least one believable source. The bad ones will print click bait because Jamie Redknapp’s sister’s dog walker’s cousin thought his mate had spotted Dybala in the local Asda.

nameischarles

I wouldn't be surprised if Ed or someone in his team has burner accounts that they leak to the press. It happens in other pro sports, one example was the general manager for the 76ers in the NBA got caught using multiple burner accounts. So don't be naive thinking they won't do this too.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wouldn't be surprised if Ed or someone in his team has burner accounts that they leak to the press. It happens in other pro sports, one example was the general manager for the 76ers in the NBA got caught using multiple burner accounts. So don't be naive thinking they won't do this too.
Yes, agents, buying club, selling club, players, all use their own media mouthpieces

If United made a bid on Maguire, his agents wants the words to go out to see if there's other interested party. His selling club would want to test the water if anyone matches their bid. Agents would want to blow a rumor that Maguire is up for sale or reluctant to move to jack his price up, etc. United would probably leak a the news with their own interest of letting the "other club" knows that we have alternatives. Some other players might just blow some rumors to stay in the limelight using our Names.

Club/player/agents aren't stupid. They have something to be gained when they leak this info.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Come off it Noods. you know as well as anybody that the vast majority of comments in the press dont come from United.

There was a tremendous post in the transfer forum yesterday describing what actually goes on in the media world. Effectively, clubs no longer brief the press unless she's a done deal. Rest is guess work.
Like last year when after the deadline we got an in depth report on which centrebacks we didn't sign and why? Or the infamous fax machine story? Or the entire media knowing in January that Mourinho had agreed to be our next manager?

You can use your common sense to see what is guess work. For example, there is no reason why the BBC would "guess" a story about United believing a Tottenham player would prefer to move to Spain, because there's no poi t making up a story like this. Everyone knows he wants to leave Tottenham and it's beyond obvious he wouldn't leave them to join United.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

City, on the other hand, bid for a player and he's singed within 48 hours. Done, dusted no fecking about

overtheborder

City, on the other hand, bid for a player and he's singed within 48 hours. Done, dusted no fecking about
Maybe, but that doesn't take into account how long the actual process has been going on.

Last edited by a moderator: