Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe he's eyeing up De Gea's place. He was playing better in the Premier League before he came here than De Gea is now.

SAFMUTD

Young keepers have to play. Even if that’s at youth level. We can’t depend on a third keeper that’s playing u23’s. Say the youth keeper played u23’s on a Friday and we had a game on a Saturday and De Gea gets injured on the Friday. That means the youth keeper is an injury away from playing two games in two days. Only way to avoid that is having a third keeper that doesn’t play u23’s football. It’s either an older keeper like Grant or have a young promising keeper not playing football at all which isn’t good for their development.
I agree they have to play, and your example is great but you forgot about the second keeper, in that situation Romero would had played. In reality third keepers play very few games.

Grant arrived on 2018-2019 season and he has played a grand total of 2 games. One against Derby in the EFL Cup and another one against Astana this season on the Europa League, in both games Romero was available, so by any actual means he could had played. The reality is that the chances of needing a third keeper to actually play are slim to none, we could easily use a U23 there.

Remember which was the third keeper before Grant?
I see it like this. Grant is perfect example of 3rd gk. Managers want to have 3 gk all the time in first squad. So no1 gk needs to be proven and quality gk and no2 gk who also gets his minutes during the season must be good gk ( best case scenario is that it is a young gk who will one day replace no1).

No3 helps on trainings and replace one of those 2 on the bench. He must be happy without playing games and for just being in club.
You can't have youngster in that role. Young gk must play games and be involved in everything around first team. Even when he is on the bench he is collecting experience.

So i would leave Henderson one more year at least in SU and replace Romero with him
IMO third keeper is not necessary, they barelely play and when they do is more about the manager wanting to make them feel involved, rather than a situation when the team actually needs them to play. If the odd situation that we get both the first and second keeper injured happen we could use the U23 keeper.

SAFMUTD

You want your young keepers to be playing. Grant knows his game by now, so can come in at a moments notice. Young keepers need to play at whatever level so that they can learn it.
Im not saying we use a youngster to fill Grants role of not playing at all, Im saying we don't need a first team third keeper. They barelely play, just see Grant as an example he has played two games for us in almost two years, and when he played wasnt because De Gea or Romero were injured but more a thing about the manager wanting to give him at least a game a season so he feels part of the team.

The reality is that the chances of getting both first and second choice goalkeeper injured at the same time are really slim, and if that happens I would rather play a youngster that players regularly in the U23 rather than a semiretired player as Grant.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I agree they have to play, and your example is great but you forgot about the second keeper, in that situation Romero would had played. In reality third keepers play very few games.

Grant arrived on 2018-2019 season and he has played a grand total of 2 games. One against Derby in the EFL Cup and another one against Astana this season on the Europa League, in both games Romero was available, so by any actual means he could had played. The reality is that the chances of needing a third keeper to actually play are slim to none, we could easily use a U23 there.

IMO third keeper is not necessary, they barelely play and when they do is more about the manager wanting to make them feel involved, rather than a situation when the team actually needs them to play. If the odd situation that we get both the first and second keeper injured happen we could use the U23 keeper.
And who sits on the bench when the u23s are playing in the north and the first team is playing in the morning in London? They can’t be in two locations at once.

Grant helps with coaching at the club and speaks Spanish making him a good fit for keeper training which requires multiple keepers. Who is going to train when the u23s keeper is preparing with the u23s? Who does De Gea want to train with, an experienced keeper who speaks his language or a teenager who doesn’t know what’s going on and has to waste time being filled in and getting up to speed?

Who was our old third keeper? You mean Dean Henderson who was recalled from loan to sit in the stand leading him to be royally pissed and heavily linked with a transfer away because he has absolutely zero desire to waste his time sitting in the stands never playing? Yes, obviously that was so great.

baskinginthesun

Probably on a basic contract and United are paying for his coaching badges.

If anything, he is probably there to up the quality in training for De Gea and Romero. He brings years of experience with him that you wont get from a youngster. Overall, cannot complain about his new contract. Seems like he is down to earth professional who understands their role. That's hard to find sometimes.

SAFMUTD

And who sits on the bench when the u23s are playing in the north and the first team is playing in the morning in London? They can’t be in two locations at once.
The second keeper, if any of the first or second keeper is injured then you move the keepers up U23 to first team U20 to U23 and soo on. Its not a thing that happens often really, it hasnt happened a single time in the last 4 years.
Grant helps with coaching at the club and speaks Spanish making him a good fit for keeper training which requires multiple keepers. Who is going to train when the u23s keeper is preparing with the u23s? Who does De Gea want to train with, an experienced keeper who speaks his language or a teenager who doesn’t know what’s going on and has to waste time being filled in and getting up to speed?
Up to my knowledge all keepers train together, so the keeper from the U23 could be training with the first team if needed, and honestly I dont think De Gea gives a shit if he trains with Grant or another keeper, I dont think it impacts at all in his performance, if anything the second keeper is the one who is pushing for the starting spot and is the one that should push De Gea to be as good as he can be.

Who was our old third keeper? You mean Dean Henderson who was recalled from loan to sit in the stand leading him to be royally pissed and heavily linked with a transfer away because he has absolutely zero desire to waste his time sitting in the stands never playing? Yes, obviously that was so great.
Henderson was obvioulsy ready to be starting on a championship team but again Im not saying that we need a youngster to be in the stand, my point is we dont need any keeper to be standing in the stand.

Nick7

By saying “That means the youth keeper is an injury away from playing two games in two days.”, I meant say Romero pulls his groin kicking a ball 10 minutes into the game. The third keeper will have to play then.

SAFMUTD

By saying “That means the youth keeper is an injury away from playing two games in two days.”, I meant say Romero pulls his groin kicking a ball 10 minutes into the game. The third keeper will have to play then.
That would be a pretty unlikely possibility but even then a keeper could play two games even the same day, fatigue is not one of the concerns when you’re a keeper.

SAFMUTD

Mental fatigue is.
Yes but come on pal, he wont be playing every two days in the season, in that unlikely scenario it would happen once.

I think we can sleep knowing that the keepers mental fatigue would be fine.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If you're going down as far as the reserves and loanees, won't most of the top clubs have around that number of goalkeepers on their books?

Quick look at City's squad structure, they've got 3 in the 1st team (Scott Carson one of them). 3 on loan and 3 in the reserves, similar to what we've got going on.

This all seems very normal.
Yes. Arsenal have 3 in the 1st team, 2 on loan, 3 in the academy.
Chelsea have 3 in the 1st team, 2 on loan, 5 in the academy.
Liverpool have 4 in the 1st team (including fourth choice 36-year-old Lonergan), 2 on loan (including Loris Karius), 6 in the academy.

Let that sink in @Alabaster Codify7

Nick7

Yes but come on pal, he wont be playing every two days in the season, in that unlikely scenario it would happen once.

I think we can sleep knowing that the keepers mental fatigue would be fine.
Yeah, clearly you're correct and every single club who has more than 2 keepers is wrong.

SAFMUTD

Yeah, clearly you're correct and every single club who has more than 2 keepers is wrong.
Well lets compare just for reference:

Madrid:
First choice: Courtouis
Second: Aerola
Third: 19 year old Altube

Barcelona:
First choice: Ter Stegen
Second: Neto
Third: 20 year old Iñaki Peña

Liverpool:
First choice: Alisson
Second: Adrian
Third: 20 year old Kelleher

Chelsea:
First choice: Caballero
Second: Kepa
Third: 19 year old Cumming

Atletico de Madrid
First choice: Oblak
Second: Adan
Third: 20 year old Alex Dos Santos

Bayern:
First: Neuer
Second: Ulreich
Third: 20 year old Früchtl

I also found City, Arsenal and Spurs having a aging third GK but most teams agree with how I think by the look of it. You can research it.

Nick7

Well lets compare just for reference:

Madrid:
First choice: Courtouis
Second: Aerola
Third: 19 year old Altube

Barcelona:
First choice: Ter Stegen
Second: Neto
Third: 20 year old Iñaki Peña

Liverpool:
First choice: Alisson
Second: Adrian
Third: 20 year old Kelleher

Chelsea:
First choice: Caballero
Second: Kepa
Third: 19 year old Cumming

Atletico de Madrid
First choice: Oblak
Second: Adan
Third: 20 year old Alex Dos Santos

Bayern:
First: Neuer
Second: Ulreich
Third: 20 year old Früchtl

I also found City, Arsenal and Spurs having a aging third GK but most teams agree with how I think by the look of it. You can research it.
Liverpool also do. Andy Lonergan. You should ring them up and tell them how they're wrong.

SAFMUTD

Liverpool also do. Andy Lonergan. You should ring them up and tell them how they're wrong.
Hahaha yeah maybe I’ll call all the others to congratulate them on being right cheers mate.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Surprised he's actually made a official appearance this season.
Fair play.

Status
Not open for further replies.