Citizenship:
England
Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: Right
Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2020​

Nickelodeon

What a chill job to have. Doesn’t have to play. Never had any top club credentials. But having an ex-Manutd GK tag will get him into many studios once he hangs his boots.

Odin

Whats the point? We should be looking to get rid if anything.
We need someone to be no.3 in line. Someone who will train and stay reasonably sharp without demanding playing time or exorbitant wages. Isn't he doing a pretty good job at that?

We need someone to be no.3 in line. Someone who will train and stay reasonably sharp without demanding playing time or exorbitant wages. Isn't he doing a pretty good job at that?
I would bring back Henderson and let him challenge De Gea for the #1 spot so Romero would be 3rd choice.

Odin

I would bring back Henderson and let him challenge De Gea for the #1 spot so Romero would be 3rd choice.
I don't necessarily disagree. But, do you expect any of De Gea, Romero or Henderson to accept a no.3 role? Likewise, De Gea or Henderson to accept a no.2 role? I don't think so. Getting Henderson in might be right for the future. Doing so while managing to keep all our goalies readied and fit to play for us is key.

SAFMUTD

Im not sure Romero would agree to that, he’s comfortable being number 2 but being number 3 means he’ll practically never play.

Anyway I think that third GK spot should be given to a youngster not a 34 year old keeper.

I don't get why we bought him and neither why are we extending his contract.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What the actual feck. Does someone at the club owe Grants agent a favour?

Based Adnan

Apparently he's top behind the scenes and is always willing to stay behind after training to help some of the younger lads practice

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Im not sure Romero would agree to that, he’s comfortable being number 2 but being number 3 means he’ll practically never play.

Anyway I think that third GK spot should be given to a youngster not a 34 year old keeper.

You want your young keepers to be playing. Grant knows his game by now, so can come in at a moments notice. Young keepers need to play at whatever level so that they can learn it.

RedDevilRoshi

Doesn't make any sense. Firstly, Romero ain’t going to be satisfied being a number 3 as he knows he will never get a game. Secondary DDG & Henderson will both want to be the number 1 and whoever ends up as number 2 will seek to move on.

Romero should be number 2 with either De Gea or Henderson as number 1. Big call to be made this summer.

Mickson

I am of the opinion that it's not necessary having an experienced third-choice goalkeeper. If by any chance, as little at it is, the two keepers were to get injured then well, put Matej Kovar in goal. Or that Bishop lad who in fairness is pretty experienced at League One-level. By the way, I'm pretty sure that Grant isn't a better keeper than Kovar.

svn

Doesn't make any sense. Firstly, Romero ain’t going to be satisfied being a number 3 as he knows he will never get a game. Secondary DDG & Henderson will both want to be the number 1 and whoever ends up as number 2 will seek to move on.

Romero should be number 2 with either De Gea or Henderson as number 1. Big call to be made this summer.
Agreed 100%.

You can't just put your best three keepers in order and say they're number 1, 2 and 3. Young keepers need to be playing regularly in lower leagues rather than sitting on the bench on League Cup games and nothing else.

Reactions: Jippy

Spaghetti

Mom's
I hear he’s very good at coaching the senior and younger players and good to have around.

I’m not against this renewal at all..

izec

that would mean one of Romero/De Gea/Henderson won't be here next season. Seeing as Romero looks quite settled, i expect one of De Gea (sold) or Henderson (loaned/sold) to not be here.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I see it like this. Grant is perfect example of 3rd gk. Managers want to have 3 gk all the time in first squad. So no1 gk needs to be proven and quality gk and no2 gk who also gets his minutes during the season must be good gk ( best case scenario is that it is a young gk who will one day replace no1).

No3 helps on trainings and replace one of those 2 on the bench. He must be happy without playing games and for just being in club.
You can't have youngster in that role. Young gk must play games and be involved in everything around first team. Even when he is on the bench he is collecting experience.

So i would leave Henderson one more year at least in SU and replace Romero with him

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Baffling. Can't believe this thread wasn't bumped when he played against Astana.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't necessarily disagree. But, do you expect any of De Gea, Romero or Henderson to accept a no.3 role? Likewise, De Gea or Henderson to accept a no.2 role? I don't think so. Getting Henderson in might be right for the future. Doing so while managing to keep all our goalies readied and fit to play for us is key.
That is how I see it too. Clubs often have played at the very end of their playing careers as third choice. Spurs have Vorm, City have Carson, Leicester have Jakupovic, Burnley have Legzdins, Newcastle have Elliot, Chelsea had Green last season. Some have a youth player as third choice but none of those three players you've mentioned will accept a third choice role.

We've got the squad space, and by all accounts the players seem happy to have him around while he's doing his badges so I don't see the issue.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Man, even a third choice keeper signing a 1 year deal sets this place off. Is there anything we can't whinge about?

He's likely the lowest earning senior player in the squad, won't kick up a fuss for gametime, isn't young and learning and in the need of minutes. He's basically an insurance policy.

You don't want a kid in that position, you want kids playing games and keeping their stock high to either play for us or be sold. It's pretty much the done thing now. City have Carson, Chelsea have Green. Liverpool have got a guy I've never heard of who played for Preston 15+ years ago, who has never kicked a ball in the Premier League, and likely never will. Just like Grant won't.

Alabaster Codify7

We have got 7 goalkeepers. DDG, Romero, Henderson, Grant, Pereira, Bishop, that young Serb or Slovenian guy?

Let that sink in. 7 goalkeepers. One of whom was signed in January.

Seven goalkeepers.

Odin

We have got 7 goalkeepers. DDG, Romero, Henderson, Grant, Pereira, Bishop, that young Serb or Slovenian guy?

Seven goalkeepers.
Yes, three of whom are essential for our ability to always have two goalkeepers in our squad. One is on loan because we couldn't provide him with the necessary game time, one was a prospect which we haven't shipped out (yet) and two are future prospects.

A good selection for a club with ambitions in multiple competitions, wouldn't you say?

Nick7

Seven goalkeepers.
Do you just complain about everything? We have 3 first team keepers. Two are on loan and the others are youth players.

Nick7

Young keepers have to play. Even if that’s at youth level. We can’t depend on a third keeper that’s playing u23’s. Say the youth keeper played u23’s on a Friday and we had a game on a Saturday and De Gea gets injured on the Friday. That means the youth keeper is an injury away from playing two games in two days. Only way to avoid that is having a third keeper that doesn’t play u23’s football. It’s either an older keeper like Grant or have a young promising keeper not playing football at all which isn’t good for their development.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Seven goalkeepers.
Joel and Henderson are out on loan. Kovar is the U23 keeper and Fojiticek has been back up but has now gone out on loan too which is where Bishop comes in.

De Gea's our starting keeper, Romero the back up and Grant is the emergency third keeper, every top club in world football has one. What's there to let sink in? Standard practice.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If you're going down as far as the reserves and loanees, won't most of the top clubs have around that number of goalkeepers on their books?

Quick look at City's squad structure, they've got 3 in the 1st team (Scott Carson one of them). 3 on loan and 3 in the reserves, similar to what we've got going on.

This all seems very normal.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You can’t have enough good personalities at a club. No top keeper in his prime is going to want to be number 3, and young keepers would do well to follow their own teams schedules and games and not have to be pulled out and put on the bench for any injury.

It’s not like they can get a 10 minute cameo like outfield youngsters.

This makes perfect sense.

Santos J

If you're going down as far as the reserves and loanees, won't most of the top clubs have around that number of goalkeepers on their books?

Quick look at City's squad structure, they've got 3 in the 1st team (Scott Carson one of them). 3 on loan and 3 in the reserves, similar to what we've got going on.

This all seems very normal.
Yeah it's completely normal. City had Richard Wright on their books for 4 years and he didn't play a game ffs. People just love to moan.

yamo123x

Give the guy a break, he has always done well when called upon, seems a top bloke and a great professional, he is prob living the dream, cant blame him for that. Let's not forget he is actually a very good goalkeeper and always played well against us particularly for stoke.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What a chill job to have. Doesn’t have to play. Never had any top club credentials. But having an ex-Manutd GK tag will get him into many studios once he hangs his boots.
He does have over 500 club appearances. Being nr. 3 is more about being reliable professional, trains well and is supportive of the other keepers and the younger ones even. Lee Grant seems to offer a lot in being part of the group but the most important thing is being fit if it comes to the nr. 1 getting injured.

We've seen it several times in the last 3 years that clubs have had 2 keepers out and you can do worse than having someone like Grant as your nr. 3. Experience is key here.

Seven goalkeepers.
when someone says “let that sink in” my initial reaction is to assume your point is pointless, and on reflection, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.